Japanese based gangs in so cal?

Discuss Asian and White gangs in Los Angeles County.
Sinner18
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Japanese based gangs in so cal?

Unread post by Sinner18 » January 2nd, 2013, 6:17 pm

Doe's anyone know of any Japanese based gang's in so Cal? I know wah ching is Chinese and Vietnamese and ABZ is Philipino and Cambodian , but are their any Japanese gang's? I mean I hear Yakuza is very big and in control of their territory in Japan so I'd assume there would be one here, am I wrong? Thx for the response's.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Re: Japanese based gangs in so cal?

Unread post by Silencioso » January 6th, 2013, 9:27 am

there were Japanese American gangs during the street club era (40's-early 60's) like the Buddha Bandits and Ministers. There were at least two Japanese gangs in the 70's/early 80's: Buddha Crips and Marshall Homeboys.

NewChinaTown626
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: WestSide LA

Unread post by NewChinaTown626 » May 8th, 2013, 10:32 pm

How did Japanese as a majority become successful comming from the same ghettos? What did it take and how long? Should this be compared with Caucasians?

SB Tisoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SB Tisoy » May 11th, 2013, 4:57 pm

NewChinaTown626 wrote:How did Japanese as a majority become successful comming from the same ghettos? What did it take and how long? Should this be compared with Caucasians?
To me the Japanese came up cuz they work hard and save, its in their culture. Pride in work. Then their kids became professionals (dentists, accountants, drs, etc) due to the same factors. I got a japanese uncle who grew up in Inglewood. His mom ran a laundry. I forgot what his dad did. But his mom just saved up and they lived off their dads income. Now she's 90+ years old but aint got no worries, nice house paid up in Torrance and all that. Couple years back she bought my uncle a new E-Class out of gratitude.

SB Tisoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SB Tisoy » May 11th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Silencioso wrote:there were Japanese American gangs during the street club era (40's-early 60's) like the Buddha Bandits and Ministers. There were at least two Japanese gangs in the 70's/early 80's: Buddha Crips and Marshall Homeboys.
Never heard of any Japanese specific street gangs...that's lost history right there. The japanese gangsters I knew banged from cambodian, chinese, filipino or korean gangs.

I always thought Japanese were more into that militant style stuff, like the black panthers. Wasn't there a big Yellow Brotherhood movement goin on back in the 60s? I watched a documentary on them. They even had a headquarters in the Crenshaw area.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » May 16th, 2013, 6:11 am

Yeah that Yellow Brotherhood doc by Tad Nakamura.

NewChinaTown626
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: WestSide LA

Unread post by NewChinaTown626 » May 17th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Buddha Crips? Whats their history? Did they beef with Sarumai Bloods? Lol. BS aside, assuming they were really crippin, they must be the first asians to do it. How was their get down? Who did they run with in the system? The Cambodian/Samoan/Tongan crips were turnt out. Then you got the asian hoods that are just claimin...

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » May 17th, 2013, 11:38 pm

NewChinaTown626 wrote:Buddha Crips? Whats their history? Did they beef with Sarumai Bloods? Lol. BS aside, assuming they were really crippin, they must be the first asians to do it. How was their get down? Who did they run with in the system? The Cambodian/Samoan/Tongan crips were turnt out. Then you got the asian hoods that are just claimin...
Budda Crips were from Crenshaw/Dorsey HS area. They were the first Asians to claim Crip as far as I know but they weren't a serious gang and they weren't taken seriously by the black gangs.

Sanjuro
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by Sanjuro » February 27th, 2016, 12:43 pm

I had posted under a different thread asking for info on a Japanese-American set from the 60s that my uncle belonged to at one point called the Buddah Bandits, which may be affliates of the Buddah Crips or one in the same. I have met folks over the decades that also claim that they ran with the Buddah Bandits however they never claimed that they were Crip associtates, so it is possible that they are a different set.

DiegoDog
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: NorCal

Unread post by DiegoDog » March 7th, 2016, 11:29 am

I've never seen a strictly Japanese gang in SoCal but I've met a few who members of gangs.

To the OP, most Yakuza in Japan aren't Japanese.