"The Smurf" "Pimp Stroll" "Stomp&q

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
thesoulsedge
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

"The Smurf" "Pimp Stroll" "Stomp&q

Unread post by thesoulsedge » August 3rd, 2003, 9:42 am

When I was a kid, the whole hood in the LBC was doin' a dance called "the smurf". This is a dance where you basically shuffle your feet from side-to-side and then cross over your feet while rocking back-and-forth. I think the Crip walkin' might originate with "the smurf"...or at least it looks similar.

Another dance similar to Crip walkin is the pimp stroll. Niggaz waz puttin' on Kangols and walkin with a "pimp limp" (Snoop does this). This might be connected to the Crip walk.

Finally, black fraternities have been doin' a dance called "stompin'" for years. They stomp and march to make a beat. This is more "military" than Crip walkin' but it looks connected.

Does anyone know for sure? I can only make cultural associations...

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: "The Smurf" "Pimp Stroll" "Sto

Unread post by bgcasper » August 3rd, 2003, 8:39 pm

poplock is the true origin ....

SpacerLoco
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by SpacerLoco » August 6th, 2003, 4:24 am

bgCASPER wrote:poplock is the true origin ....
Yeah Ive always understood the crip-walk to originate from that to as some crips still call it poplocking.

thesoulsedge
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by thesoulsedge » August 6th, 2003, 5:38 am

I see...but--as I remember it--"pop-locking" was mostly with the "upper body". Poplockers move there hands like "an Egyptian" or they move their arms like "a snake" or snap their heards from side-to-side or "tick" with their bodies.

Where exactly does the "walking" part come in? Crip Walking is a walk...like the "gangsta lean". ?????

whitekid
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by whitekid » August 7th, 2003, 11:50 pm

[img]http://www.reel.com/content/boxart/vhs/138199.GIF[/img] have any of you seen this documentary,i heard it was decent and it had bangers from south central doing it properly.

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 8th, 2003, 1:48 pm

:) You know it's funny, whitekid. I was just about to mention that documentary. There are some preview clips on the website, http://www.cwalkla.com.

pico
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by pico » August 18th, 2003, 2:28 pm

:roll: Jayo Felony is coming out with a documentary too called Crip Hop. It addresses the commercialization of gang culture including the Crip Walk.
Check out the trailer at http://www.hiphoptv.com/criphop.html.

thesoulsedge
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by thesoulsedge » August 21st, 2003, 12:04 am

i think you guys are right that crip-walking comes from the "pop-lock" but it does remind me of the "foot shuffle" that I saw people do when they "shout" in black baptist churches...

i'm gonna do some research after i look into the video...

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » August 21st, 2003, 5:15 pm

The foot shuffle origins you saw in the Baptist Church go way back and are also covered in that book I recommended to you Soulsedge by Alan Lomax called "The Land Where The Blues Began." Get a copy from your library and check it out.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » August 22nd, 2003, 9:58 am

I saw a couple Crips (around age 20 or so) once on a Saturday night at some place called The Boogie a couple years ago near Disneyland.

A close friend's little brother was out visiting and insisted on a club so I asked around and was told that one was pretty live on the weekends. So we made the long drive down there and got in early before things got going. The Crips had the main floor to themselves and the music was going already so they just did their thing. Honestly, I was impressed with how they had perfected it. Then finally in came the cattle. There must have been fifty women dancing on the bars alone. Imagine that. I drank sodas and he drank. Lol.

I liked the music, dancing, and sound system. But I didn't dig the vibe in the air. It was pretty much a "flesh feeding frenzy" which felt shallow to me. Nobody seemed deep. No soul. No real. Just image. Everyone trying too hard to impress.

thesoulsedge
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by thesoulsedge » September 4th, 2003, 8:21 am

crokets...i hear what you are saying about "no soul" and "only image" out in clubs. send me an email so i can discuss this with you in more detail. since this is off-topic it wouldn't be on-hit to discuss it on this thread. i think you have a point. and i think young people are getting into X (ecstacy, MDMA) because they want a 'real' or 'deep' or 'spiritual' experience when they party/club. this is why the rave scene is getting popular even among the hip-hop world. but send me an email so we can discuss it...this thread is about the crip walk...

p.s. when i was a kid parents would have their kidz do a dance like the crip walk in front of friends and relatives. the adults would make a circle while the children danced a little crip-walk jib. it's interesting, but a little humiliating.

'got the X if you into takin' drugs'---50 Cent 'in the club lyrics'

Kab
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Kab » September 5th, 2003, 3:09 am

First time I recall seeing the crip walk was like in '90 to '92 on old rap video by Gettas, if I got his right. Song/video was called gang related. Would be able to tell if some punk from JPB wasn't breakin into rides the night I left it in the car =(

Was a pretty good video & song. They only showed it on the call'in & order video channel { the box, not longer active} in my area.

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 21st, 2003, 6:32 pm

Has anybody seen C-Walk: It's A Way of Livin?

Kab
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Kab » September 24th, 2003, 2:43 am

Someone will have to pay me to watch that.

BlewLeeGee

Unread post by BlewLeeGee » September 24th, 2003, 11:43 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about... I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure that neither Crip or Blood Walking originated from 'The Smurf', 'Pimp Stroll', Pop-Locking, or any other mainstream dance. It's just recently that it's made it out of the 'hood to television, and all these artists and people not exposed to this type of thing are doing it as if it's just a regular dance and making it mainstream, but it's not. If anyone really knew the "true" Crip Walk, they'd realize that the steps spell out the letters B-L-O-O-D, which are then crossed out, and vice versa with the Blood Walk... C-R-I-P is spelled out, then crossed out.

spanyloc2005
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by spanyloc2005 » September 25th, 2003, 8:09 am

I agree with BlewLeeGee, my mom grew up in South Central, in now 40's neighborhood, was Sixties hood, but during the time she was in middle school &High School, she graduated from HS in 82, she said that my cousins, Pookie R.I.P. from Grapes, Mad Man,from Compton Crips, Ryan R.I.P. from Rollin 30's OHC, Killa Kalvin from Rollin 60's NHC, and others taught them how to C-Walk, she said everybody use to C-Walk at the parties, even non-bangers, cuz she didn't bang, my grandma even knew how to walk, it may have had pop loccin, but it involved more leg movement, then hands, they threw up the "C" when walking back then.so it has been around for along time, i know for a fact that a mainstream dance, because during the 70's disco was in style, ya feel me? I know how the original C-walk, goes, i can't type out how to do it though.

spanyloc2005
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by spanyloc2005 » September 25th, 2003, 8:16 am

I meant to say that it did not originate from a mainstream dance, the Crips made the dance up, i don't know how they made each step, but their was a unified walk back in the day, now set has a particular way to spell out their hood. wasn't to much spelling out the hood back then, and if you think about the new generation of bangers have expanded the crip and blood culture, because crips use to spell words with Ck, bloods use to have C's in their hood, say coo,crips use to say blood and bloods use to say cuzz, all the stuff we don't say today.

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 25th, 2003, 9:33 pm

Blew, anyone who really knows about it is aware of that already. Not trying to debate you, but I think cats like CASPER sound legit. Also, from what I read and seen, C-Walk: It's... seems like a good educational piece on the subject.

BlewLeeGee

Unread post by BlewLeeGee » September 25th, 2003, 9:34 pm

...Yeah, and as far as what I said earlier about Crips spelling 'Blood' then crossing it out and vice versa, Crip Walking is also spelling C-R-I-P as well as Blood Walking is also spelling out B-L-O-O-D. Basically the "walk" is spelling out your affiliation or your enemies' affiliation, and most times while throwing different 'hoods up. It wasn't meant to be a mainstream dance... You know gangstas don't dance!

BlewLeeGee

Unread post by BlewLeeGee » September 25th, 2003, 9:40 pm

Exactly, omack. You said it best yourself: "anyone who really knows about it is aware of that already", so that was not directed to anyone who already knows. Obviously it was directed to anyone who doesn't know, because people are reading these forums from all over who are misinformed or have no clue at all. There is no debate.

fourteen16

Unread post by fourteen16 » September 30th, 2003, 4:54 pm

:evil: "WALKIN'" AIN'T THE LATEST DANCE THAT CAME OUT CONTRARY TO BELIEF. WHEN A "CRIP" SEES YOU WALKIN THEY TAKE IT AS YOU ARE A FELLOW MEMBER THAT JUST "PUT IN WORK" OR KILLED SOMEONE FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW. "BLOODS" TAKE IT AS A SIGN OF UTTER DISRESPECT. SO FOR ALL THOSE DUMMIES WHO THINK THAT THIS IS JUST A DANCE MADE UP BY SOME WANNA BE THUGS OR LIL BOW WOW OR SUMTHIN YA'LL BETTER CHECK YA HISTORY OR START LOOKING FOR A CASKET. BECAUSE THAT SIGN OF RESPECT FOR CRIPS AND DISRESPECT FOR BLOODS AIN'T NO GAME AND THEY WILL KILL OVER THAT TYPE OF STUFF. :evil:

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 30th, 2003, 5:41 pm

fourteen, 'ppreciate the info. I already know that from the homies from LA. As a matter of fact, that's what the documentary is tryin to say - the Walk has meaning and anyone who's a non-banger needs to know that.

fourteen16

Unread post by fourteen16 » September 30th, 2003, 5:48 pm

GOOD LOOKIN DOG..FINNALLY SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS THE DEAL. EVERY ONE ELSE NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT THAT DOCUMENTARY CUZ IT REALLY AIN'T NO JOKE.

*****I BANGS HARD LIKE A NIGGA BUT IT COMIN FROM A B*TCH******

omack
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by omack » September 30th, 2003, 6:05 pm

fourteen, but there's a Blood Walk too, right?

fourteen16

Unread post by fourteen16 » September 30th, 2003, 6:15 pm

preach brotha preach!!! the blood is the same as the crip just as someone stated before they spell out the name either blood or crip. throw ya hood up by doing so and you got yourself the walk..

"F around and be crip walkin in the wrong hood" 50 Cent

THALOCPASADENA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by THALOCPASADENA » February 4th, 2004, 10:06 am

fourteen16 wrote::evil: "WALKIN'" AIN'T THE LATEST DANCE THAT CAME OUT CONTRARY TO BELIEF. WHEN A "CRIP" SEES YOU WALKIN THEY TAKE IT AS YOU ARE A FELLOW MEMBER THAT JUST "PUT IN WORK" OR KILLED SOMEONE FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW. "BLOODS" TAKE IT AS A SIGN OF UTTER DISRESPECT. SO FOR ALL THOSE DUMMIES WHO THINK THAT THIS IS JUST A DANCE MADE UP BY SOME WANNA BE THUGS OR LIL BOW WOW OR SUMTHIN YA'LL BETTER CHECK YA HISTORY OR START LOOKING FOR A CASKET. BECAUSE THAT SIGN OF RESPECT FOR CRIPS AND DISRESPECT FOR BLOODS AIN'T NO GAME AND THEY WILL KILL OVER THAT TYPE OF STUFF. :evil:
I MUST AGREE CUZZZ, I MUST AGREE
RAYMOND OUT

White Man

Unread post by White Man » April 18th, 2004, 3:08 am

wcrockets wrote:Then finally in came the cattle. There must have been fifty women dancing on the bars alone. Imagine that.
The "cattle"? Is that what black men prefer to call black women in LA? Or does it refer only to black women who hang around in bars with "crips"?