Du Roc Crip members that killed Stone from 60s

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Du Roc Crip members that killed Stone from 60s

Unread post by alexalonso » April 20th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Where are they now. Back in 1992, Kieth "Stone" from 60s rolled out to Duarte to hook up some "friends" with a sack. They ended up killing him rather than paying for it.

Sheriff's detectives arrested four Du-Roc members on April 29, 1992, Anthony Fitzpatrick, 24; Lamar McDaniels, 18; Travis Berry, 26, and J. C. Ware, 19, all from Duarte. The riots were in full swing this day.

Where are they now?

Also killed was Daniel J. Chapman, 28, of Seattle. Not sure if he was from 60s when he lived in LA.
Attachments
keith-stone-thomas.jpg
Keith "Stone" Thomas, killed in 1992
keith-stone-thomas.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

dubts
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Du Roc Crip members that killed Stone from 60s

Unread post by dubts » April 21st, 2013, 12:50 pm

I never realized the date was during the riots

As far as the Durocs they are probably in prison

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 21st, 2013, 2:07 pm

dubts wrote:I never realized the date was during the riots

As far as the Durocs they are probably in prison
the date when they got arrested was during the riots, but the killing happened in January, about 3 months prior. Dont know if all 4 were found guilty or pleaded to it.

attila
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: amsterdam

Unread post by attila » April 21st, 2013, 4:19 pm

4 Held in Gang-Related Deaths : Crime: Authorities say Crips' kingpin Keith (Stone) Thomas and a friend were killed Jan. 30 as the result of a drug deal that went awry.
May 07, 1992|VICKI TORRES | TIMES STAFF WRITER

Duarte area gang members who welshed on paying for a load of drugs and instead turned on their supplier are behind the slayings of a Los Angeles gang kingpin and his friend, authorities said this week.
After a three-month investigation, Los Angeles County Sheriff's investigators broke what had been a baffling crime: the Jan. 30 deaths of Keith Cardell Thomas, 30, of Los Angeles, and Daniel J. Chapman, 28, of Seattle.
Their hands bound behind them, the bodies of Thomas and Chapman were found in a Ford Explorer that was abandoned in an avocado grove in the upscale Rancho Duarte area at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, an area of $300,000 homes.
Thomas, known as Stone, was one of the oldest leaders of the Rollin' 60s Crips, which has roots in the Crenshaw District dating back to the 1970s. Dubbed an "O.G.," original gangster, Thomas used his drug trade earnings to live in a gated home in Windsor Hills, authorities said. He was the main supplier for the Du-Roc Crips, a 15-year-old gang that takes its name from a combination of Duarte and "Rock Town," an area of mostly rock quarries east of Monrovia.
Using fingerprints found in the Explorer and information from informants, Sheriff's detectives arrested four alleged Du-Roc members on April 29: Anthony Fitzpatrick, 24; Lamar McDaniels, 18; Travis Berry, 26, and J. C. Ware, 19, all of unincorporated Duarte, officers said.
They were charged with murder, but their arraignments have been delayed because of the rioting in Los Angeles.
"Thomas had no anticipation what his fate was to be when he drove away . . . to see these people," Sheriff's Lt. William Sieber said. "He brought someone (Chapman) with him who he thought would be safe. . . . But he became victim two in this execution-style murder."
On Jan. 30, Thomas, who had earlier given the Du-Roc members marijuana valued on the street at more than $10,000, returned to Duarte to collect payment for the first load and to drop off another, Sieber said. But the gang members had sold the drugs, spent the money and were waiting to kill Thomas.
"The sad thing about this case is that Thomas and Fitzpatrick were close personal friends," Sieber said. "Thomas had given him money, given him clothes, let him stay in his house, and the result of those acts of kindness were repaid by his execution."
Chapman did not belong to a gang, Sieber said. But investigators believe he might have been a contact for illegal narcotics from the Pacific Northwest. Chapman's mother, Diane, who still lives in the small stucco home in the Crenshaw District where her son grew up, disagrees. He was visiting her and had accepted a ride with his childhood friend, Thomas.
"My son died because he was a witness to a murder," she said.
Although she steered her son away from gangs, his death illustrates the difficulties faced by young black men in Los Angeles' toughest neighborhoods, Mrs. Chapman said. As a teen-ager, Chapman was bused to school in the San Fernando Valley. At 17, he joined the Navy after a close friend was killed in a gang-related shooting, she said.
"He was shaken," Mrs. Chapman said. "He said, 'Momma, I can't stay here.' He was scared to stay here."
When he was discharged in 1983, Chapman, who was considered a "square" in the neighborhood because of his anti-gang stance, returned to discover that many of his childhood friends were dead or in jail, his mother said. So, he eventually moved to Seattle, where he married and was raising four children.
The murder suspects' arrests the day of the Rodney G. King verdicts was the only good news in a week that saw rioters rampaging in her neighborhood, Mrs. Chapman said. The crowd looted and burned an auto supply store across the street from her home, she said.
"A neighbor and I held them away from that place with just our bodies," Mrs. Chapman said of the all-night vigil she kept April 29.
Last Thursday, the Japanese-American owners emptied most of the valuables from the store, which was torched that afternoon. Mrs. Chapman said she stood on the roof of the merchants' home, which is next to the auto parts store, and used a garden hose to water down the walls. On Sunday, the owners gave her and the neighbor $400 in groceries.
"I feel at peace," she said of the past week's events and her son's death. "I know my son had time to get his life in order and to talk to God before he died, because he was handcuffed. He knew they were going to kill him. But I know he is peaceful."

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » April 25th, 2013, 1:33 am

i looked them up, two of them are currently in prison. Looks like Fitzpatrick was our on parole in 1992 when Stone was killed because his original admission date into the CDC was January 1991. Couldn't find the two younger defendants Lamar McDaniels, or J.C. Ware.

- FITZPATRICK, ANTHONY TODD, E82806, 45, 01/15/1991, Mule Creek
- BERRY, TRAVIS, H95351, 52, 10/20/1993, Calipatria

streetsIswatchin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by streetsIswatchin » July 4th, 2013, 2:23 am

these Du roccs were going at it hard with Varrio Duarte Rifa in that exact same time when this murder happened. I remember hearing when these Du roccs were busted for a murder, for killing a "fellow crip" i wonder if this is what it was, some vatos thought it was a du rocc on du rocc killing . it hit Du rocc hard because they were some of their heaviest riders that were locked up. I remember this because i had some family connection to the area and actually had primos going at it with the Du Roccs. the Du roccs actually did a drive by on my primos house in around 1990.