Gang Name Origins

Discuss general Black gangs in Los Angeles County which include Bloods, Crips, Hustlers, Crews and Independent groups in Los Angeles County here.
TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Gang Name Origins

Unread post by TheAngels » May 22nd, 2018, 4:03 pm

Post the origins of the names various gangs in L.A., or at least your best guess/hypothesis.

Obviously many hoods' names are self-explanatory and don't need posting -- the name is from the name of the street, park, or city/neighborhood.

Add your own and/or correct me where I'm wrong:

Kitchen Crip -- Heard there were food kitchens along Hooper... ??

Playboy Gangster Crip -- Heard they started out as a dance crew in the early 80's known as the Playboys, which was a popular term in the 70's & 80's.

School Yard Crip -- Always thought it started on the school yard of Alta Loma Elementary which is right in the middle of their hood... that's just a guess

Tortilla Flats -- John Steinbeck novel of the same name...

Unknown but curious:

By Your Self Gangster Crip -- ????

The "Brim" umbrella -- ???

White Fence -- ???

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: Gang Name Origins

Unread post by bgcasper » May 23rd, 2018, 12:51 am

corner poccet comes from pool table concept ...courtessy of kev mac video
brims was named apple hat before so i guess its the brim hat they was reppin
tortilla flat in compton started in 1960 from an actual tortillera from mendoza fam bam on oris street largo side ...
duccy hood name comes from the river bed were ducks gaters that hood was located at the extreme east of cpt touching the cpt river side like adc
santana comes partly from lantana thats my opinion
fruit town piru comes from cherry plum ect all street are fruits plus they claim east side because they do own a chunk of piru street and its an east side piru area since wilowbrook was owning that specific part of piru st if you ask me they the original esp ...
now why spook town named like that according to mc 8 its only because they shot down the light on tamarind av and it was dark at the same era a gang of streetlight all over cpt was shot down so ???my opinion is that spook town predate crips and was front line vs spook hunters
why bishop named bishop ? well if u mess with a bishop u mess with death jimmy lavender interview kev mac
why swans because those cats was known divers at washington park pool i think also kev mac interview brang that other version
why kitchen because of the liquor store name !!!
the real question non answer so far is how close nutts hood watts and nuttys are and did they took the nayborhood out of their name together or separate any special reason why from neyborhood blocc crips they became nutty blocc and their close allies in watts guess what did the same we all know the beef they had with coast del amo mostly but ????

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » May 23rd, 2018, 1:12 am

other names are just park and street name example kelly ludaz campanella tragniew chester atlantic holly lime ward palmer acacia elm ....
other name like tree top come from older gang tree top trojans now how the trojan name came up ??thats what donzell ru fail to tell kev but hoppefully kev will get an interview of donzellru thats true og ttp
south side name fall under logik most st runin north to south av like and they would all hit greenleaf as the most southbound destination plus even the park named south ..
swamps and old gang named because of their location who was a real swamp
lantana named crip hole on a map name is after a st
twilight zone still a mysterie to me
farm dog just go there and you ll understand
now i think front hood and front st got their name from an old school spot named that way
now we all know there was boothill before pvc but park village actually was the name of their hood it was even written on a stone sign in the park
but how ujima ended named village town ??? the town gangs were more comon u had fruit town spook town mid town fudge town and gost town all those gang were in the hub and dub zone is there anything about town gangs and brown rag ?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 23rd, 2018, 1:19 am

Original Swamp Compton Crips -- that area was mostly swampland & marshes back in the 1970's and before. Most of it has been built over with houses, but there is still a remnant of the swamp today which is a large vacant lot...

Farm Dog Compton Crips -- That part of Compton is known for its farm-like neighborhood with barns, larger tracts of land with horses & cattle...

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 23rd, 2018, 2:15 am

bgcasper wrote: the real question non answer so far is how close nutts hood watts and nuttys are and did they took the nayborhood out of their name together or separate any special reason why from neyborhood blocc crips they became nutty blocc and their close allies in watts guess what did the same we all know the beef they had with coast del amo mostly but ????
What I want to know is why the old Grandee Compton Crip hood became Nutty Blocc... Why not stick with the same name? My guess, based on what BG Knocc Out said in an interview, was that they were a new generation of kids who started their own thing in the 80's, and I guess Nutty Blocc grew bigger than Grandee and eclipsed them, so everyone in the hood was joining Nutty Blocc. Maybe the OGs of Grandee were locked up and weren't keeping tabs on the hood to continue recruiting...+

The OGs from Grandee that are still around now rep both Nutty Blocc & Grandee now...

I don't know if Nut Hood Watts have anything to do with Nutty Blocc. Might be a coincidence.

Pico2jeff

Unread post by Pico2jeff » May 23rd, 2018, 9:08 am

TheAngels wrote:
bgcasper wrote: the real question non answer so far is how close nutts hood watts and nuttys are and did they took the nayborhood out of their name together or separate any special reason why from neyborhood blocc crips they became nutty blocc and their close allies in watts guess what did the same we all know the beef they had with coast del amo mostly but ????
What I want to know is why the old Grandee Compton Crip hood became Nutty Blocc... Why not stick with the same name? My guess, based on what BG Knocc Out said in an interview, was that they were a new generation of kids who started their own thing in the 80's, and I guess Nutty Blocc grew bigger than Grandee and eclipsed them, so everyone in the hood was joining Nutty Blocc. Maybe the OGs of Grandee were locked up and weren't keeping tabs on the hood to continue recruiting...+

The OGs from Grandee that are still around now rep both Nutty Blocc & Grandee now...

I don't know if Nut Hood Watts have anything to do with Nutty Blocc. Might be a coincidence.
Who came first out of nuthood watts crip and south side nut hood watts 13? Were they 1 gang?

LosAngeles94
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by LosAngeles94 » May 23rd, 2018, 9:55 pm

I always wanted to to know about SchoolYard Crip
And PlayBoy Gangsta(PBH,PBSC)....

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 23rd, 2018, 11:40 pm

og crip gang watts playground must be key in that type of name i know its not the same but school yard and grave yard they both claim yard and are in ws also there was a bone yard compton crips for a short minute

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 23rd, 2018, 11:46 pm

nayborhood watts was the og name and it turned to nutt hood now angels nutt hood is like a brother set to some nbcc they are very close allies you talked about bgknocc out well when he is in watts he reside in nutt hood and bang and slang with his homie and fam bam from nutts ..so its not a question of are they connected ...that i can garantee you they are believe me even if thats not in the net its a known fact ..yes nutty and nutt hood are connected and allie but when did nutty stop calling hemselfs nayborhood blocc because nutty blocc was claimin nayborhood blocc was it because of their beef with nhcc thats the question and did that beef made them say nutty instead of naybor ...also a police shit listed nutty blocc piru ??????that i never heard of it before

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 23rd, 2018, 11:52 pm

now playboy whattever crips must come from playboy style gang on pico and fedora because they predate those crip set by many years and they also a west los gang so one can imagine a blacks side of that club going their own way once crip poped off but kept their name ..that historia is a mysterie to me i can just assume thangs

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 24th, 2018, 1:19 am

Curious about:

Watergate Crips (Inglewood)

Weirdo Gangster Bloods (Rollin 100s)

The "Coast" in East Coast Crip (why remove the "Side"?)

HNIC
What city do you live in now?: LAC

Unread post by HNIC » May 24th, 2018, 7:08 am

TheAngels wrote:Curious about:

OG Hawk said that Watergate Crips is an OG WSC set and the name comes from the early 70s Watergate scandal because "you niggas in Hawthorne is scandalous"

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 24th, 2018, 4:52 pm

HNIC wrote:

OG Hawk said that Watergate Crips is an OG WSC set and the name comes from the early 70s Watergate scandal because "you niggas in Hawthorne is scandalous"

Interesting. I figured it was related to Nixon.

I did some research on By Yourself Crip and I think the name came from the fact that these were dudes who tried to join either Mansfield or Playboy Gangsters, but didn't get in for whatever reason and decided to be "by themselves." Their hood is right between Playboy & Mansfield hood.

Also curious about these name origins:

Fudge Town Mafia Crips

HNIC

Unread post by HNIC » May 24th, 2018, 5:43 pm

TheAngels wrote:
HNIC wrote:

I did some research on By Yourself Crip and I think the name came from the fact that these were dudes who tried to join either Mansfield or Playboy Gangsters, but didn't get in for whatever reason and decided to be "by themselves." Their hood is right between Playboy & Mansfield hood.
BYSH - came out abt 1988, some of them went to Hamilton (PBG/MGC) and some went to Fairfax (MFG), at Fax there were a lot of cliques that were not MFG or PBG or MGC but were cool with all the WLA 3x: the 40 Brew Crew (basically Fax football team), also Pico Hustlers, Skate and Destroy (SxD), BDP, which became FFP, which became FFGC, which basically became MFGC later in the 90s... some of the dudes from these Fax cliques as they broke up became some of the Fairfax BYSH at some point, so your theory abt the name origin makes sense. I went to Fax in 85-86 and I'm familiar with that whole scene but don't really know how the name By Yo Self started, It may have come from the Hami side

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 26th, 2018, 12:52 am

HNIC wrote:
TheAngels wrote:
HNIC wrote:

BYSH - came out abt 1988, some of them went to Hamilton (PBG/MGC) and some went to Fairfax (MFG), at Fax there were a lot of cliques that were not MFG or PBG or MGC but were cool with all the WLA 3x: the 40 Brew Crew (basically Fax football team), also Pico Hustlers, Skate and Destroy (SxD), BDP, which became FFP, which became FFGC, which basically became MFGC later in the 90s... some of the dudes from these Fax cliques as they broke up became some of the Fairfax BYSH at some point, so your theory abt the name origin makes sense. I went to Fax in 85-86 and I'm familiar with that whole scene but don't really know how the name By Yo Self started, It may have come from the Hami side
Lots of great info HNIC. Everything you said ties in to everything else I read -- it seems like BYSH were "stragglers" who didn't end up in either of the two main hoods in their area, and just started their own thing.

I heard about Fairfax Gangster Crip (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'FFGC') -- I read that they started out near Hauser & Pico near Mansfield & BYSH and their hood never came together.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 26th, 2018, 1:04 am

Part of the reason I started this thread was because I was working on a map myself and was going to add various info about each gang... the other maps I saw online I felt had a bunch of inaccuracies... and I know mine won't be 100% accurate either once I put it online publicly... hopefully some of y'all can help correct me...

Also I'm gonna see if I can add every Hispanic hood (brown) on the same map if I can... will be difficult since often Hispanic hoods overlap Black hoods... if not, I'll do a separate map.

Currently working on the Westside sets since that's what I'm most familiar with...

I'm getting info based on interviews, statements from members, and personal knowledge from having grown up in some of these areas (SYC & 60's)...

Black markers will be "points of interest" -- major moments in gang-related history...

The dots on there right now are:

Location of Biggie Smalls murder (which was a MOB Piru hit)
Flashpoint of LA Riots
Location of where Raymond Washington was killed
Location of house where Raymond Washington grew up and started the East Side Crips

When you click on the dots it'll bring up either video footage or pictures, with a description...

HNIC

Unread post by HNIC » May 26th, 2018, 10:23 am

What year is this supposed to reflect?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » May 26th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Supposed to be the current time.

HEADHUNNAGANGX4
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by HEADHUNNAGANGX4 » May 31st, 2018, 4:41 pm

Kitchen is from kitchen liqour store they hang out at

Santana is for Santa Ana

HEADHUNNAGANGX4
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by HEADHUNNAGANGX4 » May 31st, 2018, 4:44 pm

White fence is for the fence in front of a church they hung at

Largos is the name of a vanity license plate the head members saw while high at a party lol they didn't know what it meant either it was a strange name so they named there gang after a license plate

Pico2jeff

Unread post by Pico2jeff » May 31st, 2018, 6:52 pm

HEADHUNNAGANGX4 wrote:White fence is for the fence in front of a church they hung at

Largos is the name of a vanity license plate the head members saw while high at a party lol they didn't know what it meant either it was a strange name so they named there gang after a license plate
I thought Compton Largo36 was named after Largo av which runs through their hood around Stockwell? where does the 36 comes from?

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » May 31st, 2018, 8:57 pm

according to them 36 stand for compton finest ...like 88 stands for heil hitler for some you just count numbers and change it to letters the 3 is a c the 6 is a f ...but i dont buy that it must have something to do with 36st gang in la maybe ....