BARRIOS ARE NOT GANGS?

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

BARRIOS ARE NOT GANGS?

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 21st, 2007, 10:07 am

". . . some Chicano BARRIOS dont look at their VARRIOS as a GANG!"
Ahhhh! Finally someone who can see the real. In this "fact" is the key why Chicano gangs have persisted over the decades and why they remain the brotherhoods that they are. Unlike the mob, drug dealing crews, the posee, jesse james and his gang or whathave you; the Barrios do not necessarily limit themselves as solely a gang nor the neighborhoor consider itself a gang. The gang is composed of cliques, but the Barrio is composed of all the families; so while the young and the restless recruit members into their clubs, these however remain part of the greater Barrio. The Barrio incorporates the familes in the neighborhood not just the gang. So while the lil nephew can be from a clique and be part of the active gang, the rest of the family remains there in the background as part of the Barrio but not necessarily as a participant in the gang.

Needless to say "both" branches (individuals & families) are from the Barrio, and as such, the Barrio is able to live on and maintain the next generation From The Barrio.

You ever gave any though into the birth of the term "ESE"?

Sabes que carnal? It didn't mean Sureño. It didn't mean That Dude.
It came from the predominat last two letters in the Mexican last names
of the FAMILIES that made up the Barrios.

Morales, Reyes, Torres, Martinez, Gonzalez, Rodriguez, Jimenez, Gomez, Hernandez and the list goes on.

Just like the "B" in Barrio was substituted with a "V",
so too the "Z" in the last names were substituted with eSes.

Here in this most rudimentary and small history lesson from the Barrio is where One can begin to fully understand the force that binds many.

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » January 22nd, 2007, 12:04 am

Good post!

Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » January 23rd, 2007, 8:57 pm

Very true. While people who live in "the varrio" do identify with the name they aren't necessarily members of the gang. When outside the varrio and introducing somebody, somebody might say, "this is so and so. he lives in The Varrio." Or, "my carnala (name) still lives in The Varrio." Or if he's a member of the gang it's "that's so and so. He's one of the homeboys" Depends on who words are being exchanged with of course.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 23rd, 2007, 11:20 pm

I thought that meant the ghetto?

rocstar
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rocstar » January 23rd, 2007, 11:53 pm

Same as where Im from. Everybody say they from Du Roc but not everyone is from the gang.

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » August 11th, 2007, 1:42 pm

How about if the gang has a non-neighborhood name like King Kobras, Rebels, Harpys?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » August 11th, 2007, 2:06 pm

rocstar wrote:Same as where Im from. Everybody say they from Du Roc but not everyone is from the gang.
Jungles and Pueblos are like that too

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » August 27th, 2007, 3:18 pm

I think it depends on the part of town. Like in West LA nobody claims Sotel unless they're part of the gang.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » August 29th, 2007, 2:26 pm

If you're in-tune with the neighborhoods . . . and you've lived in the grounds for a good time . . . then you associate the hood with the hood name . . . it just comes natural.

THE JAMEL WEEKS STORY
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Connecticut
What city do you live in now?: 22nd St

Unread post by THE JAMEL WEEKS STORY » August 30th, 2007, 8:24 am

[font=Times New Roman] [/font] GOOD POST HOMIE I LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY.

1Psycho3

Unread post by 1Psycho3 » January 11th, 2008, 10:49 am

True.
The Barrio stands for "the neighbourhood", not the ghetto, by the way.
Like for me, I claim West Side Trece St. Barrio, but im in the LCK Clicka.
The Barrio of the WS13St. is located in this huge neighbourhood known as the Big 'L'.

eMachine
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by eMachine » March 7th, 2008, 11:07 pm

barrio: area, neighborhood, or district.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » March 8th, 2008, 1:13 am

its quite the same for some black hoods
i remember some family who was bac bones of a set and uncles was ogs while nephew was runnin with bg's
and their lil bro with otg and the last the tg's they have familys with control over certain spots like s bone og blacc and his fam over mayo
or andersons over burris
and in some case those fam started they own subclicc
but some cases u had fam with sons in different set sometime enemies and the same fam had members in different hoods
even enemies hood .theres no general rules .but sum fam had all their fam in the same set those fam had power inside of the set
some fam was even separated over that set trip shit durin the truce u had family reunion also
and most kinds playin in a certain park ask them were they from they gonna tell u the set name even if they wasnt
officialy jumped in the set

blue2036

Unread post by blue2036 » March 8th, 2008, 12:16 pm

What's the difference between a Barrio and a Varrio?

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Silencioso » March 8th, 2008, 12:28 pm

It's the same word. In spanish the letters B and V are pronounced the same. It's like spelling C words with a K in English - klique, krew. Just a cool alternative. Varrio is the preffered spelling for gangs.

leonr
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

barrio..

Unread post by leonr » April 25th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Most of Mexicans (In Mexico and the USA)see the Varrio as the place where they grow up,like a home, in some cases when living in the
USA or other place when entering Mexico We say we are in the Varrio.Good Post...

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » May 8th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Silencioso wrote:It's the same word. In spanish the letters B and V are pronounced the same. It's like spelling C words with a K in English - klique, krew. Just a cool alternative. Varrio is the preffered spelling for gangs.
Although the pronouciation for B and V in Spanish may sound alike, they are however two different sounds altogether. The B is a simple BE, but the V is deeper and longer, like you have to put your teeth close to the inside of your bottom lip to make the proper pronounciation. Because the V has a deeper tone, it may be the reason why Chicanos adopted it for Varrio and Vatos, which by the way the original Vato was "BATO". Chicanos tend to accentuate their speech with a deeper tone so as to make it harder sounding than the average.

atm//TONE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Orange COUNTY

Unread post by atm//TONE » May 12th, 2008, 8:54 pm

^^^ You from Dogpatch juss wondering cuz of your avatar
good post though

DollyDagger

Re: BARRIOS ARE NOT GANGS?

Unread post by DollyDagger » July 27th, 2008, 11:06 pm

When meeting other ELA "transplants", we always refer to whatever your area was known for.
Juarez,Lopez, Gerhetti,...

SmileyGee
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by SmileyGee » September 26th, 2009, 4:52 pm

I respect you and admire you Lonewolf but i have never in my life ever heard of any story like that about why we refer to our selfs as "ESE" Im not sure big homie can you enlighten me a lil more
Muchas Gracias,Con todo Respeto
Smiley Gee

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 22nd, 2010, 5:02 pm

SmileyGee wrote:I respect you and admire you Lonewolf but i have never in my life ever heard of any story like that about why we refer to our selfs as "ESE" Im not sure big homie can you enlighten me a lil more
Muchas Gracias,Con todo Respeto
Smiley Gee
wachate holmes, some history writers say that the "ESE" derived out of the Tejas SYNDICATE back in time.. ke eso era how they referred themselves like, and from there it spread like wildfire from EPT El Paso Tip to Los and beyond, but i got to disagree with that analysis. Fact is "ESE" comes from old, and it goes far beyond the AZTLAN borders.. anyone in Mejico knows what ESE means.. young, old, moms and pops, they all know "naturally" the applications for "ESE".. The most basic application from which ESE comes from, is from the fact that when people refer to someone, for example MIRALO A "ESE" (SEE "HIM"), people tend to throw a little eye and a slight head up towards the individual they are referring to; hence the reason why we vatos chucos tend to throw our head up and back when we say "que ondas ese"

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Unread post by bgcasper » January 23rd, 2010, 6:39 am

i though it was a sureno shit like ese is a s ....and them norteno be using ene que no ???

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » January 23rd, 2010, 11:42 am

Just like V. Inglewood and Inglewood 13

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 25th, 2010, 2:55 pm

bgcasper wrote:i though it was a sureno shit like ese is a s ....and them norteno be using ene que no ???

come on bgc.. you're a smart vato.. you know that ese and ene thing is because of the politics that started hitting the streets some 2-3 decades ago
but every vato in the chicano/mexican world knows that ese goes way back, it goes beyond the norte sur beef.. even norteños were eses at one time.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » January 25th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
bgcasper wrote:i though it was a sureno shit like ese is a s ....and them norteno be using ene que no ???

come on bgc.. you're a smart vato.. you know that ese and ene thing is because of the politics that started hitting the streets some 2-3 decades ago
but every vato in the chicano/mexican world knows that ese goes way back, it goes beyond the norte sur beef.. even norteños were eses at one time.

Yeah I hear you its not rocket science!

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by bgcasper » January 26th, 2010, 12:28 pm

youngspade wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:

i never tryed .....i meant...to build rockets so i cant compare ....honestly thanks for the info holmes cause i was on that ese was only used by south cali vatos ....i never ever set a foot in frisco ..didnt even know that they had ''pachucos there i though it was only east la and harbor area thang but i learned a lot here about that el paso jazzy style vatos ...i mean we all know that aztec warriors on top of their pyramid wasnt swinging on a jazz beat so that shit's from africa thats alll goooood i mean its all about mixin shit and u get the best so is ese a jazzy way vatos from el paso was using as their jazzy slang ???i like to go waaaay back so i was stuk on el paso is ese go back to pancho villa ???or is it an el paso jazz band or an album cover ???
yall never know u had the good quality crips in las vegas cause of the funky band remake of sitting in the park so u never know ....thats what i learned here and thanks to yalll ...peace

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 27th, 2010, 2:38 pm

bgcasper wrote:
youngspade wrote:

i never tryed .....i meant...to build rockets so i cant compare ....honestly thanks for the info holmes cause i was on that ese was only used by south cali vatos ....i never ever set a foot in frisco ..didnt even know that they had ''pachucos there i though it was only east la and harbor area thang but i learned a lot here about that el paso jazzy style vatos ...i mean we all know that aztec warriors on top of their pyramid wasnt swinging on a jazz beat so that shit's from africa thats alll goooood i mean its all about mixin shit and u get the best so is ese a jazzy way vatos from el paso was using as their jazzy slang ???i like to go waaaay back so i was stuk on el paso is ese go back to pancho villa ???or is it an el paso jazz band or an album cover ???
yall never know u had the good quality crips in las vegas cause of the funky band remake of sitting in the park so u never know ....thats what i learned here and thanks to yalll ...peace
[/quote]

this site ain't really the "neutral" place to get into history like that bgc.. this history deal with the jazzy jazz and all that aztecs non-swinging to african rhythms and whatnot would only get every hater on this site to start dropping racial crap in here at every word said.. so i'll just leave it be.. unless you want to visit my site we're we keep things on the level.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » January 27th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Lonewolf wrote:
bgcasper wrote:
youngspade wrote:

this site ain't really the "neutral" place to get into history like that bgc.. this history deal with the jazzy jazz and all that aztecs non-swinging to african rhythms and whatnot would only get every hater on this site to start dropping racial crap in here at every word said.. so i'll just leave it be.. unless you want to visit my site we're we keep things on the level.[/quote]

Is your site a secret or something, how is it different or better or "REALER", I bet half the people there are from here so its kinda pointless, please dont be offended by my words but im only keeping it real, your a veteran on this site aswell, so you and a selective few dont want this site to die no matter wat!

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 29th, 2010, 12:27 am

youngspade wrote:

Is your site a secret or something, how is it different or better or "REALER", I bet half the people there are from here so its kinda pointless, please dont be offended by my words but im only keeping it real, your a veteran on this site aswell, so you and a selective few dont want this site to die no matter wat!
my hangout is no secret, half the world around here knows the site.. some just snopp in from time to time and others throw something in every now and then.. i ain't never said that mine is better nor more real, all i said is that we try and keep it level "hate free" that's all i said.. on the other hand many here at sg have too much hate and start dissin left and right and many topics end up getting filled with negativity and words are said that really dont need to be put out there when someone is just trying to have a discussion about something.. know what i mean?

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » January 29th, 2010, 1:45 am

Lonewolf wrote:
youngspade wrote:

my hangout is no secret, half the world around here knows the site.. some just snopp in from time to time and others throw something in every now and then.. i ain't never said that mine is better nor more real, all i said is that we try and keep it level "hate free" that's all i said.. on the other hand many here at sg have too much hate and start dissin left and right and many topics end up getting filled with negativity and words are said that really dont need to be put out there when someone is just trying to have a discussion about something.. know what i mean?

I gotcha dawg!

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”