TEN OLDEST CHICANO GANGS IN L.A.

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
562_HOMIE
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: TEN OLDEST CHICANO GANGS IN L.A.

Unread post by 562_HOMIE » July 5th, 2004, 1:02 pm

I've been to a couple of websites and theirs claims that marianna and maravilla are older then white fence, but white fence is the only ones that have a well history to back their history up. CLanton is pretty old too.

http://www.clantone.net/historyc14.html

YOUNG1_ASEK
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by YOUNG1_ASEK » August 2nd, 2004, 2:13 pm

lonewolf wrote:I'll give it a shot at the 10 oldest in Sur Gangstro Valle, not in any particular order, you can come back at me with better info homie. East Side Puente, San Gra, El Monte Hicks, Bassett Grande, Lomas, East Side Dukes, Townsmen, Valinda Flats, Bolen Parque, El Monte Flores.
What you know bout east side dukes?
and also bolen parque aint a gang
thats a city. baldwin park alright
stay up
late

FLACO TSTX3
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by FLACO TSTX3 » January 26th, 2007, 4:44 pm

OLDEST GANGS :

EASTSIDE : MARAVILLA [????],WHITE FENCE [????] .

WESTSIDE : TEMPLE STREET [1923], CLANTON 14TH STREET [????].

SOUTHSIDE : 38TH STREET [????] .

I WAS TALKING TO MY HOMIE FROM ES CLOVER,AND HE TOLD ME HIS HOMIE FROM CLOVER WHICH IS ABOUT 65YRS OLD HAD SAID THAT,
THE OLDEST GANG IS EAST L.A. IS "THE FLYING ACES" WHICH CAME OUT BEFORE ANYGANG IN L.A. AND WHEN WHITE FENCE BERALY STARTED ,WHITE FENCE TOOK OUT THE FLYING ACES.

SOME REAL OLD mess RIGHT THERE...

poohbear555
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by poohbear555 » July 13th, 2011, 6:19 am

I heard clantone has been around since the 1900;s que no

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Pasadena

Unread post by femun » July 13th, 2011, 5:54 pm

WF is one of the oldest but not thee oldest. If your really into history then you should read this book. All the info in this book comes from Police records,census reports, and News articles.
http://www.amazon.com/Gangs-Los-Angeles ... 352&sr=8-1

For those of you who refuse to read books.

Alpine street goes back to 1892
Dogtown was around before 1904
White Fence,Frogtown,Canton 14th street,Lincoln Heights, and Palo Verde all go back to or around 1910.

Macy street,38th street,Pomona 12th street,SanFer,Quiet Village of whittier all go back to the 1920's.

Clovers,VanNuys,Pico Viejo,Sangra,Pasa Rifa,Echo Park and Primera Flats go back to the late 1930's.

There's a lot more info in this book.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California

Unread post by alexalonso » June 15th, 2012, 12:18 am

femun wrote:WF is one of the oldest but not thee oldest. If your really into history then you should read this book. All the info in this book comes from Police records,census reports, and News articles.
http://www.amazon.com/Gangs-Los-Angeles ... 352&sr=8-1

For those of you who refuse to read books.

Alpine street goes back to 1892
Dogtown was around before 1904
White Fence,Frogtown,Canton 14th street,Lincoln Heights, and Palo Verde all go back to or around 1910.

Macy street,38th street,Pomona 12th street,SanFer,Quiet Village of whittier all go back to the 1920's.

Clovers,VanNuys,Pico Viejo,Sangra,Pasa Rifa,Echo Park and Primera Flats go back to the late 1930's.

There's a lot more info in this book.
Dog Town goes back to about 1890
White Fence I believe might be 1911
Alpine would be the oldest gang in LA if it didnt get taken over Chinatown

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by femun » June 15th, 2012, 5:08 pm

All the info in this book comes from Police records,census reports, and News articles, so Im gonna stick to the above stated info as being factual.

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » June 15th, 2012, 9:48 pm

East Side White Fence
Dogtown
Alpine St
38st
Tortilla Flats
Clover
Aves
HMV
C14
Temple St
This is my humble opinion. Im from ES Primera Flats whcich alot of people have as one of the oldest, but from what Ive heard from some geez is TFlats came first and TFlats was started by some cats from The Fence.

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by femun » June 16th, 2012, 12:11 pm

AztecNinja wrote:This is my humble opinion. Im from ES Primera Flats whcich alot of people have as one of the oldest, but from what Ive heard from some geez is TFlats came first and TFlats was started by some cats from The Fence.
The Flats gang have been around for a long time probably 100 years or more but I'm gonna assume that the "Primera" part was added at around or slightly before the Pj's were built.

AztecNinja
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Gabriel

Unread post by AztecNinja » June 16th, 2012, 5:54 pm

femun wrote:
AztecNinja wrote:This is my humble opinion. Im from ES Primera Flats whcich alot of people have as one of the oldest, but from what Ive heard from some geez is TFlats came first and TFlats was started by some cats from The Fence.
The Flats gang have been around for a long time probably 100 years or more but I'm gonna assume that the "Primera" part was added at around or slightly before the Pj's were built.
The area where PF was started was originally a Russian area, the area was called Russian Flats before Raza started moving in.

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by femun » June 16th, 2012, 8:42 pm

The are was know as the flats even before the Russian Molokans settled there.

Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LA

Unread post by 282828 » September 23rd, 2012, 1:51 pm

ithe flats is as old as the area. the part by the river was always the slumiest and they called it the flats. but primera and cuatro flats didnt really start until early 50's as well as vne, thats why is the new neighborhood. cuz it came after the really old ones.

the oldest i'd say are hoyo mara, white fence, clover, temple, diamond, happy valley, 38, dogtown, clantone, monte hicks, monte hayes, big hazard.

a lot of these gangs were around a lot longer then when they became "official" i know white fence says 1939 or 37 but they were around in the 20's as well as hoyo mara in the 20s. people think hazard was started in 42 cuz thats when the pjs came about but they were a gang before the pjs, thats why theyre named after the park. theres people that say theres been a hazard for almost a hundred years, definitely since the early 20s, same time as hmv and white fence. clover as well. and 38 st to the south also dates back to the 30s and probably before. but back then i think that was considered east la and most of the other south side gangs started a lot later like florence in the 50s or 60s.

on the ws, temple and diamond were probably popping up around the late 20s, definitely the first ones on the westside as well as clantone, i always thought clantone was the 50s but ive read books that mentioned them in the early 30s so they porbably came about the same time, late 20's and they ran most of downtown and the westside like pico union and mcarthur park. all the areas that are 18 now.

alpine woulda been the oldest but they are inactive now. so they dont really count cuz i'd assume there are plenty of inactive gangs that were around with them as well. but if they started in 1890 they'd be the oldest but were talking about the oldest active gangs. dogtown probably started a little after them as well. even before the william mead houses. my homie from dt had a picture of a tag that said d x t 1927 but instead of an x between the dt it was a swatstica. (way before hitler) so i know dogtown was around in the 20s and maybe before if alpine was around cuz if there is one gang theres gonna be another and they shared the same are.

i talked to a guy from monte hayes that told me they started in the 1890s adn early 1900s as mexicans that worked the farms in el monte. at that time there were two major farms. one owned by a family called hicks and another owned by a family called hayes, so the ones from the hicks farm called themselves monte hicks and the hayes farm called themselves monte hayes. so i know they might be the oldest but it wasnt really city life so i doubt it was gangbangin, more just like 2 groups that got more gang like when el monte became a city. then monte flores came way later in the 50s or 60s

also canta ranas i heard has a similar story. they started as mexicans working the farms that were in santa fe springs back in the early 1900s.

people often say that LA doesnt have "culture" like new york or chicago or other historical big cities but what they dont realize or what they dont want to admit is that LA's culture and history is in the gangs. the neighborhoods, the varrios, theyre still a major prescence and have been around and instilled into LA for over 100 years. even the black gangs from the 60s and 70s. they arent going anywhere ever.

femun
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by femun » September 23rd, 2012, 7:22 pm

Decent post but far from insightful all you did was regurgitate info from this and other threads. By the way, you forgot to mention Quiet Village, San Fer and Pacoima.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » September 23rd, 2012, 10:57 pm

to find the ten oldest gangs in l.a. you'll have to dig deep into the history of mexican communities in the southland., most old gangs are tied to the history of the old "barrios" of los angeles county and surrounding areas., how many barrios lie beneath the concrete? most old barrios have been torn down, run over by freeways, or laid to the side by R&R companies., some even lie under a park or a lake, like for example, the el monte Canta Ranas barrio now lies under the 60 Freeway at the cross point with Rosemead Blvd., and La Mision Barrio now lies mostly under Legg (North) Lake, and La Colonia lies mostly under Legg (Center) Lake. An additional Loma/Cortez barrio also lies mostly under the present day Whittier Narrows Dam County Rec Area. It was oldenly centered just south of Rush Street + Loma Avenue.. If you dig deep, you'll find that those oldest of the oldest still around, are somewhat connected to the old "barrios"., Like Alpine connected to Palo Verde, and Varrio Nuevo connected to Hunter Street, and Macy Street connected to the Flats. It's a long long line connecting all the dotsl. The Avenues starting out in the Dayton Avenue neighborhood next to Clover Street, and Clover Street having been connected to the original Eastside Varrio of Lincoln Heights, hence the name Eastside Clover., on and on the history goes.. Which are the oldest gangs? We all have read it alredy, DogTown & Alpine, Clanton & Temple, Avenues & Clover, White Fence, Flats and El Hoyo Maravilla, all still around, but are they the oldest? I think so many older ones have gone by the way side.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 24th, 2012, 10:39 am

I think it is official that Alpine is off the map now, but if it were around it would be by far the oldest. I think they lasted from 1890 to 1990, a good 100 years. Not many neighborhoods can say that. 100 years.

Apollo12

Unread post by Apollo12 » September 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Varrio Pasa Rifa may have existed way back in the day, but they didn't have a continuous history up to the present. I never heard of them in the late 70s to early 80s, and old newspaper accounts list all kinds of other Pasadena gangs but not VPR. The other thing is - they're not listed in that 1982 guide to L.A street gangs that was compiled for law enforcement. The only thing I can think is that if they were founded way, way back in the day, they died out in, say, the late 60s or so.

Also the allegation is that South Side Pasa came out of VPR in the early 70s...but South Side Pasa's original varrio is south of where VPR's hood is now. So..someone resurrected the name.

angfsgv
What city do you live in now?: Glendora

Unread post by angfsgv » November 4th, 2017, 8:14 pm

RuthlessCray wrote:
lonewolf wrote:How about SN Santa Nita, and BA's Onterio Black Angels or CS Chino Sinners for the top 10 list ?
Where is Animal Tribe in ?
Has anybody ever heard of Duarte Varrio Charros ?
yeah Chino Sinners and SS Ontario they got the Black Angeles but thats all IE. they are both old. some of the older IE gangs are. Mt.Vernon, Bloomas,BA. CSR, NS Coltone....and more....

i never heard of Duarte Varrio Charros but i had a home from Duarte ES 13...dont know how old they are though
Charros is Duarte Eastside now. They were Duarte Charros in the 70s (when they started, around the same time as their main rivals Du Roc and Monrovia Nuevo Varrio, which was known as Varrio Monrovia then)and became Duarte Eastside in the 80s.

The oldest barrios in my area are Pasa Rifa, El Monte Hicks, Hayes, and Flores, Bolen Parque (it split into Eastside and Northside Bolen in the 60s or 70s), Bassett Grande, Townsmen, Eastside Dukes, Lomas, Sangra, Valinda Flats, Puente 13, and Azusa 13 (surprised they haven't been mentioned yet as they started in the 60s). For Pomona and the IE you have 12th Street, Cherryville, Chino Sinners, OVS, Cucamonga Kings, Southside Fontana, Westside Bloomas, Southside and Northside Colton, Westside Verdugo, Verdugo Flats, Casa Blanca, and Eastside and Westside Riva. It's hard to imagine any of these barrios dying out.

yourmomslover
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Compton

Unread post by yourmomslover » May 23rd, 2018, 11:15 am

AztecNinja wrote:East Side White Fence
Dogtown
Alpine St
38st
Tortilla Flats
Clover
Aves
HMV
C14
Temple St
This is my humble opinion. Im from ES Primera Flats whcich alot of people have as one of the oldest, but from what Ive heard from some geez is TFlats came first and TFlats was started by some cats from The Fence.

Yeah the hood was first but we didnt come out of WF if anything they came out of us like Cuatro Flats when we left boyle heights cus that eas the turf 4th st and loreda

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”