18th Street HGS - Gentrification

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

18th Street HGS - Gentrification

Unread post by TheAngels » December 15th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Just wondering if gentrification has effected the 18th Street HGS clique in Hollywood... They're really building up this area with luxury condos, hotels, restaurants, high-end clubs, etc. I don't even know how 18th Street exists in this area.

I first heard about this particular set 6 years ago when I was visiting a friend, a graffiti writer, who lives in that area just north of Hollywood Blvd. We left in the car, and he was yelling at some bald-headed Mexican gangsters walking like he knew them... I asked him who they are, and he was like "those are some 18s, they got a little hood up here." I couldn't believe it. I didn't even know there were any gangs right near Hollywood Blvd. I know some parts of Hollywood has hoods, but that's either farther south or on the east side. I couldn't believe 18th Street had a set NORTH of Hollywood Blvd close to the hills. But this area is near Capitol Records, the Pantages Theatre, and Hollywood & Vine, which is undergoing massive gentrification, so I don't see how they can survive as a hood here.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Re: 18th Street HGS - Gentrification

Unread post by alexalonso » December 16th, 2012, 11:53 pm

it is still very hood on Wilcox & Yucca. They have several old apartment buildings with low rent and section 8 tenants. They on Cahuenga there are a few old apartments, so until they get rid of all that old housing there will always be a gang presence there.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inglewood

Unread post by youngspade » December 17th, 2012, 8:45 am

18 st is there in force, but they dont evenhitup . anymore, its LIKe FINDING GOLD IN SAN FRAN. But recently ms13 haa been growing and taking turf, MS are still ganbanging to the fullest, 18st is definitely loaing to ms everyone knows but 18st click in hollywood is a real hotspot for moneys, they could probaly support two varrios because this has to be the most money organized click out,of all 18 clickas.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » December 28th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Yeah believe it or not this chick I knew who lived on Whitley and Yucca had a few 18st in her building back in the late 90s

her bro had been arrested, locked up and deported. thai dude that was in some Asian gang around that way.

but yeah I can imagine there's going to be fewer and fewer holdouts from those times

Sinner18

Unread post by Sinner18 » December 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm

As times progresses, hopefully the barrio's and neighborhood's get better.

rocket18hgs
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: tijuana

Unread post by rocket18hgs » January 5th, 2013, 8:58 pm

original 18st Hollywood gangsters hangout http://www.rjgeib.com/biography/hollywood/yucca.jpg

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 5th, 2013, 9:02 pm

I remember there was so much prostitution on this block, so many hoes.
Attachments
yucca.jpg
yucca.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 9112 times

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 5th, 2013, 9:03 pm

rocket18hgs wrote:original 18st Hollywood gangsters hangout
How many clicks are there in Hollywood? Is HGS the only one. I think there was another one.

rocket18hgs
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by rocket18hgs » January 5th, 2013, 9:11 pm

i grew up around this blocks and there has only been Hollywood gangsters tiny locos the ogs and the new are the tiny winos. before lmc turned into a barrio they were going to be a click of 18st in Hollywood like kws.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 5th, 2013, 9:58 pm

What the official name of the click, "Hollywood Gangsters" or "Hollywood Gangsters Tiny Locos"?

Is the other one "Hollywood Gangsters Tiny Winos" or just "Tiny Winos"?

rocket18hgs
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by rocket18hgs » January 5th, 2013, 10:14 pm

iam from 18 street tls (tiny locos) Hollywood gangsters from the early 90s, in the middle 90s all the new homies started the the new generation, the tws (tiny winos). but we are all Hollywood gangsters and still kicking it at the same place, just different generation.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » January 5th, 2013, 10:29 pm

rocket18hgs wrote:iam from 18 street tls (tiny locos) Hollywood gangsters from the early 90s, in the middle 90s all the new homies started the the new generation, the tws (tiny winos). but we are all Hollywood gangsters and still kicking it at the same place, just different generation.
OK,I got, two clicks, but all Hollywood Gangsters. What year did 18th start claiming this area. I remember them back in 1988 but they probably go back further than that.

rocket18hgs
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by rocket18hgs » January 5th, 2013, 10:40 pm

i don't know when 18st started in Hollywood, I moved to Hollywood from Mexico in 1984 and there was already gang activities. not sure what gang it was because I was only 6 years, but I remember yucca and Cherokee used to be tmc hangout or they kicked there because they got along with us. Wilcox and yucca has always been the heart of the Hollywood gangsters.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » January 11th, 2013, 3:57 am

Rocket & Alex, either of you guys know (roughly) the boundaries for this hood?

I know I'm off but this is what I was thinking:

West - Las Palmas

South - Hollywood Blvd.

Northwest - Franklin or just north of Franklin into some of the apartments at the bottom of the hill (south of those mini-mansions in Whitley Heights)

Northeast - Hollywood Freeway

East - Along Cahuenga or maybe a block east of Cahuenga (Ivar)

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » January 11th, 2013, 7:57 am

rocket18hgs wrote:iam from 18 street tls (tiny locos) Hollywood gangsters from the early 90s, in the middle 90s all the new homies started the the new generation, the tws (tiny winos). but we are all Hollywood gangsters and still kicking it at the same place, just different generation.
tiny locos and tiny winos are old school cliques from west side 18th street

when i was in the halls in the mid 1980's ...those were some of the main cliques i was coming across with vatos from Diesiocho...

also 7th&Broadway Gangsters = XV3 SBGS ... shout out to my camarada Big Loco from 18th ~ la siete :mrgreen: ... caught a case for a double murder in downtown L.A. early/mid 1990s ... last name Becerra. came out all over the news

many 18 street cliques claim not only the official clika, but also the area, and push it damn near as hard as the clique.

in other words, there can be 18th Street Tiny Winos in many parts of the L.A. County ~ and they'll push they're clique, but also push the area = ws XV3 Street TWS /HGS

I "think" there used to be Tiny Winos around 54th in the east side South Central L.A...
they used to be deep as fuck. i believe thats all 55 Bunch now

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » January 11th, 2013, 9:27 am

I rode down 54th st from like normandie to western nd 54th tiny locos is around i think 51th st iis inactive.

rocket18hgs
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by rocket18hgs » January 11th, 2013, 4:34 pm

you are kind of right but it's more like West - highland
South - Hollywood Blvd. and sometimes Selma when the drug spot is hot
North - up the hill where the freeway is at
east - Gower or maybe the next street. there isn't much activity on Wilcox and yucca like it used to be but you well find a lot of Hollywood gangsters in Palmdale and Lancaster.

youngspade
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by youngspade » January 12th, 2013, 2:50 am

But HGS is active, and the reason its changed is because the heat is tremendous..

Can anyone confirm Hollywood high is ran by ms??

I thinl i heard that from hoodup.com. also isnt s hollywood click down like melrose? Inbetweeen or right pass la city college?

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » January 19th, 2013, 6:57 am

Why doesn't this gang hit up much? As youngspade also noted, you never see their graffiti around this area. Is the HGS click just trying to stay lowkey and not draw attention? Cops always seem to patrol this area around Hollywood Blvd HEAVY, both with cops on foot, bikes, and squad cars.

I made this thread because I think the area of Yucca Corridor is unique, especially for a gang to claim; just north of Hollywood Blvd near a tourist area and just south of the upscale Whitley Heights community.

I like the old apartments and the vibe of this neighborhood. The old brick apartments relatively close together along narrow streets kind of reminds me of some neighborhoods in NYC.

I also watched a film noir from 1950 titled "Sunset Boulevard" in which the opening scene begins in this neighborhood (at the Alto Nido apartments on Ivar). Then as a kid I walked through this area few times just exploring.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by TheAngels » January 19th, 2013, 7:01 am

Forgot to add:

Maybe HGS doesn't hit up in this area because of the gentrification in the area.

Then again, you got Sotel 13 who hits up their area which is being gentrified, and Sotel hits up so much that they remind me more of a tagging crew rather than a gang. I see their graffiti in nice areas where I know they can't be living. It's like they're trying to keep the gang alive since they aren't as big in numbers.

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”