The death of open air drug markets in LA

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
valleroguy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Canoga Park

The death of open air drug markets in LA

Unread post by valleroguy » July 3rd, 2016, 8:40 pm

Anyone who lived in LA during the 80s or 90s and was gang affiliated or into the dope scene knew how much open air dealing was cracking,particularly in Pico Union and Westlake. Notable spots being MacArthur Park, Bonnie Brae, and pretty much any lil side street off Alvarado.

Any day, any time, if you were "looking", you could cruise thru any of these spots and see multiple groups of vatos standing around getting their serve on, mostly carga (heroin ) and rock. From lowly junkies of any race to A-List celebrities and rockstars, if you were a dopefiend in LA bonnie brae was the place to be.

Obviously, over the years, thru injunctions and just overall decreasing tolerance for gang activity, these markets have become virtually extinct, removing a crucial source of income for multiple neighborhoods.

Anyone who saw Bonnie Brae and 6th in its glory days compared to today knows the contrast is day and night. What was once practically a lawless open drug bazaar is now deserted.

Any crazy stories? Experiences? Any discussion is appreciated

ghosty
What city do you live in now?: Humboldt via N.E.L.A.

Re: The death of open air drug markets in LA

Unread post by ghosty » July 4th, 2016, 5:32 pm

I was randomly thinking about some old spots I use to go to just the other day (for weed mota yesca haha). Mid/early 80's there was a great spot my friends and I called 'the hole' . It was these apartments that were to the left of the arroyo seco park on figueroa. This was pretty much aves hood, but I think the apartments were actually a dogtown enclave. Bought dime bags for years from there, always someone out there to serve you. One time I was getting a dime but had a 20$, the guy went in to one of the apartments to get change ...but left me with my 20$ and the dime i was gonna buy, I said fuck it and ran out of there with my free dime ...sucked tho, cuz I was scared to go there for a long time after that! Another spot I remember was lockwood street near L.A. city college, just drive down in and tons of fools would run up to your car with tinfoil dimes. The hole had bags at least damn! One last odd spot i remember was a place we called 'teardrop'. It was off of sunset kinda in alpine/diamond hood. It was odd cause it was actually a house where fools would be sitting out front. Haha that just reminded me of another spot in the midcity area where youd pay one guy, and someone else would throw down a dime from an upper story apartment. Just some memories of being a teenage stoner in L.A. mid 80s!

cliffard
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by cliffard » July 31st, 2016, 2:29 pm

Disappointed... how will I manage when I visit...

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by judastaugamma » July 31st, 2016, 7:48 pm

In the valley, probably the most known spots were in sepulveda on Columbus and Langdon and Orion.

Back when Columbus street x3 was kinda dead, use to see all these cats slinging on Columbus that wasn't cst.

Blythe street in panorama city.

Canoga park Alabama made a ton selling to whites in the area.

Bryant street too in northridge.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » August 1st, 2016, 1:02 am

Carlin Street in Geer Hood was one of the most active drug spots in the 1980s. Dead now.

valleroguy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Canoga Park

Unread post by valleroguy » August 18th, 2017, 3:40 pm

ANyone else have stories?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 13th, 2018, 8:33 pm

DCC 2nd St Mob and Ranchos at 2nd street, between Centre and Mesa from the late 70s and all through the 80s, that was it, whatever you were looking for, but mainly juice and roca., then the mex cholos and paisas had it going on santa cruz st and pacific avenue, especially at the pool hall., Those were the two spots for San Peedroh' in the Harbor Area.. Oh and yeah that spot at The Hole in the avenues at those pjay apartments, yeah that the spot too, but it wasn't dog town down there., Also, that Bonnie Brea was crazy, lots of shooting went on there tho'

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”