Relationship between all the Flats

Discuss Hispanic / Latino gangs, Southsiders, Sureños, clubs, crews & varrios in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ONLY. There are four general geographic categories Hispanic gangs fall into for LA.
shaolinmonche
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Santa Ana

Relationship between all the Flats

Unread post by shaolinmonche » January 22nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

I always thought the Flats gangs all got along. Don't most or all them beef?
Did they all used to have unity at one point?
Primera Flats
Cuatro Flats
Pacoima Flats
Compton Varrio Tortilla Flats
TxTown Flats
Familia Flats in OC? Not sure they around anymore.

AmericanZombie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Inland Empire

Re: Relationship between all the Flats

Unread post by AmericanZombie » January 22nd, 2019, 10:27 pm

I used to think all the Flats were connected and got along because I’d see them shouting each other out on message boards and other places on the internet. But I think it’s simply because they share The name Flats. It’s been said that PF and CxF used to get along but over time became enemies.

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by TheAngels » January 23rd, 2019, 12:43 am

I used to think "Flats" was a card... but once again it seems like cards/alliances don't exist among Hispanic gangs. At least among Black gangs you'll see hoods with "Gangsta Crip" or "Neighborhood Crip" in their name get along. All of the Maravilla hoods hate each other. Different Flats sets beef. Even the Wilmas hoods don't get along and at one time neither did any of the Longo hoods.

My guess is that E/S Primera Flats in Boyle Heights and S/C Primera Flats 23 in the Low Bottoms get along.

AmericanZombie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by AmericanZombie » January 23rd, 2019, 1:15 am

Yeah I believe ES PxF and WS PxF consider themselves the same gang, which is why the SC PxF claim West Side even though they’re not from the west side of LA. But they’re to the west of Boyle Heights, the original hood on the East Side, east of them.

Now the orgin of Flats as a name I don’t believe anyone ever really has been able to pinpoint for certain. I’ve heard many stories and theories, but what’s the real truth?

Flats seems to be a word used to describe certain neighborhoods in older times. I’ve heard it has to do with the contrast of hills verses actual Flat Land..

Also has been used to describe a poor somewhat run down side of town.

Others supposedly referred to apartments or even Housing projects as Flats.

Then there’s the story about an actual tortilla factory in which the original tortilla Flats gang is said to have named themselves after. Don’t know if that’s ever been verified.

Someone else on here recently mentioned that tortilla Flats was simply a nick name given to a poor Mexican neighborhood in the old
Days..

TheAngels
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by TheAngels » January 23rd, 2019, 1:41 am

AmericanZombie wrote:Yeah I believe ES PxF and WS PxF consider themselves the same gang, which is why the SC PxF claim West Side even though they’re not from the west side of LA. But they’re to the west of Boyle Heights, the original hood on the East Side, east of them.

Now the orgin of Flats as a name I don’t believe anyone ever really has been able to pinpoint for certain. I’ve heard many stories and theories, but what’s the real truth?

Flats seems to be a word used to describe certain neighborhoods in older times. I’ve heard it has to do with the contrast of hills verses actual Flat Land..

Then there’s the story about an actual tortilla factory in which the original tortilla Flats gang is said to have named themselves after. Don’t know if that’s ever been verified.

Someone else on here recently mentioned that tortilla Flats was simply a nick name given to a poor Mexican neighborhood in the old
Days..

I don't think there's much mystery behind the "Flats" name -- the area where Primera Flats and Cuatro Flats are located is on a lower plane than the areas to the east of them. Flats is essentially the opposite of "Heights" that we often hear used for neighborhoods. So yes, your assertion is correct. And the term "Flats" did seem to be more commonly used in the early-to-mid 20th century, as compared to today.

Tortilla Flats is said to have taken its name from the 1935 book called Tortilla Flat, which is about a rundown Hispanic neighborhood. My guess is that with the rise of the different Flats gangs at the time, combined with the popularity of the book, a neighborhood decided to be the next Flats gang and use the book's name in the process.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 23rd, 2019, 2:33 am

AmericanZombie wrote:Yeah I believe ES PxF and WS PxF consider themselves the same gang, which is why the SC PxF claim West Side even though they’re not from the west side of LA. But they’re to the west of Boyle Heights, the original hood on the East Side, east of them.

Days..
^ ^ That basically sums it up right there, it's all of the above and more

encinitas tortilla flats in north conty san diego was a derogatory name that the gavachos gave to the mexican side of town because that's what the mexicans ate in those shack flats they lived in in the outskirts of town, or so the story goes., cuatro flats is said to have come off primera flats, and primera flats was said to have been the remnant of the original flats gang who moved into to the pico-aliso housing projects in the 1940s when their original neighborhood (russian flats) was done over by the river and commercialization of the area just below boyle heights., pacoima flats simply gets it name off the projects flats type apts complex, so too with valinda flats., the original tortilla flats in east side los got their name from the tortilla factory, imo confirmed by so many palabra passdowns that everybody knows that at one time TFlats was a varrio in East Los, the rest of the story, well, hopefully someone someday can put it forward so we can all finally settle that one, lol, so yeah, it's a low lying flat area, an ethnic poor shanty town, a type of housing architecture with rooftops known as flats, and why not, la tortilleria de los flatops pachucos kicking it outside, lol

ey, but don't forget
TxFlats in Torrance
TxTown Flats in Longo
Cinco Flats in Corco
Verdugo Flats IxE
there's more Flats I'm sure.. the list goes on...

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » January 23rd, 2019, 2:46 am

Also, imo, SSCVTF is becoming one of them hoods that pops up everywhere, it joined the list of Varrios with an expansionist gang bra

Lynwood, Paramount, South Gate, and that's just in their immediate Compton Varrio surrounding area, not including all those other spots or outside of Los

AmericanZombie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by AmericanZombie » January 23rd, 2019, 11:51 am

TheAngels wrote:

Days..

I don't think there's much mystery behind the "Flats" name -- the area where Primera Flats and Cuatro Flats are located is on a lower plane than the areas to the east of them. Flats is essentially the opposite of "Heights" that we often hear used for neighborhoods. So yes, your assertion is correct. And the term "Flats" did seem to be more commonly used in the early-to-mid 20th century, as compared to today.

Tortilla Flats is said to have taken its name from the 1935 book called Tortilla Flat, which is about a rundown Hispanic neighborhood. My guess is that with the rise of the different Flats gangs at the time, combined with the popularity of the book, a neighborhood decided to be the next Flats gang and use the book's name in the process.
See that’s a new one to me. A 1935 book called tortilla Flat. Don’t know how I missed that one, after all these years. Maybe someone did mention it before on the forums or somewhere else and I simply forgot. But that adds another interesting piece to the puzzle.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2019, 7:50 pm

Colonia EDEN GARDENS in SOLANA and TORTILLA FLATS in ENCINITAS (no relationship to TxF in East Los or Comptone).
EDEN GARDENS was a deragatory name that the gavachos baptized the barrio where the Mexican and Indian population lived, right next to the “working” fields. The Colonia was grungy looking, wild and desolate, filled with shrubbery and nothing but dirt and rocks on the streets; hence the reason why the gavachos would call it “EDEN” GARDENS as a way of laughing at this Mexican earthly paradise. The name stuck, and La Raza adopted it for themselves, and like everything else that was used as a way of insulting our people and our ways, La raza took it and turned it around, made it into a name of Pride. . The same deal was con TORTILLA FLATS from Encinitas. The gavachos used the name as a derogatory reference when referring to where the Mexicans folks lived. They would call Mexican people "Tortillas" and their homes "Tortilla Flats" because tortillas were like flat pancakes to them, just like the poor flat shacks that Mexican folks lived in. The derogatory names stuck, but out of those racist origins came La Colonia Eden and Encinitas Flats barrio names, which live on to this present age!

Return to “Gang Questions & Info: Latino gangs, Sureños, clubs, crews and varrios”