Asian Boyz

Thousands have been killed in the conflict that has been taken place in Los Angeles during the last couple of decade. Post dead homies from gangs in the 88 cities within Los Angeles County.
George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Asian Boyz

Unread post by George » March 24th, 2004, 7:20 am

YearZero
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Asian Boyz

Unread post by YearZero » April 10th, 2004, 10:45 am

Rest in Peace Shaggy,Joker,and Woodie.

hitonme
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by hitonme » February 5th, 2005, 5:22 pm

Rest in Peace to the following homeboyz: Kicker, of course you know by who: Wicked, LA: Risky, Gumby= from the East Side of Long Beach, shot dead by a Longo, N/S 626 Lil Boy, N/S 626 Spooky.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by judastaugamma » September 11th, 2012, 9:30 am

Thien "Baby G" Pham, Van Nuys ABS

Killed in a car to car shootout with North Side Satanas back in 1998.

Bunthan "Lil' Too Short" Roeung, Van Nuys ABZ

Shot and killed after an argument with unknown Bloods in Hollywood in 2008.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California

Unread post by yoda100 » March 15th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Roosevelt "Demon" Heng, Van Nuys Asian Boys gang, February 17, 1986 - October 6, 2017

Ocsfinest
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Santa ana

Unread post by Ocsfinest » March 15th, 2018, 5:36 pm

yoda100 wrote:Roosevelt "Demon" Heng, Van Nuys Asian Boys gang, February 17, 1986 - October 6, 2017
if u dont mind me asking, how did demon pass

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » March 20th, 2018, 12:36 pm

[quote="Ocsfinest"][quote="yoda100"]Roosevelt "Demon" Heng, Van Nuys Asian Boys gang, February 17, 1986 - October 6, 2017[/quote]

if u dont mind me asking, how did demon pass[/quote]

Idk how he passed away, I just know he is no longer with us

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » March 25th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Van Nuys Asian Boys - Cu Doung - March 23, 1996 - shot and killed by fellow van nuys asian boys gang members, when they found out he agreed to testify against them in court, he was shot and killed the day before his court appearance.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » April 18th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Ocsfinest wrote:
yoda100 wrote:Roosevelt "Demon" Heng, Van Nuys Asian Boys gang, February 17, 1986 - October 6, 2017
if u dont mind me asking, how did demon pass
He died in the pen

Drug overdose I think but ppl dont wanna bring it up

Never met him but heard about it

He was originally long beach abz, moved to the valley and switched to van nuys abz this was like early 2000s.

He has brothers from van nuys abz too

Don't know what he was in for but I think he had an L

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » April 18th, 2018, 11:22 pm

yoda100 wrote:Van Nuys Asian Boys - Cu Doung - March 23, 1996 - shot and killed by fellow van nuys asian boys gang members, when they found out he agreed to testify against them in court, he was shot and killed the day before his court appearance.
Yeah I don't think abz wants a shout out to ex homies they smoked themselves

That list from van nuys abz would probably be longer than the list of homies their enemies killed

Lol

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » April 19th, 2018, 11:11 pm

[quote="judastaugamma"][quote="yoda100"]Van Nuys Asian Boys - Cu Doung - March 23, 1996 - shot and killed by fellow van nuys asian boys gang members, when they found out he agreed to testify against them in court, he was shot and killed the day before his court appearance.[/quote]
Yeah I don't think abz wants a shout out to ex homies they smoked themselves

That list from van nuys abz would probably be longer than the list of homies their enemies killed

Lol[/quote]

Right, I just posted him up there since he was an ex-affiliate of this gang, if you can post some of the deceased members of the Van Nuys ABZ/ABS, that'd be great, I hardly ever hear about that set anymore, it's always the long beach asian boyz, I actually work with one, but I wont put his name on here, due to his privacy.

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » April 20th, 2018, 2:34 am

Only 2 van nuys ab got killed by enemies

The 2 I listed before

Baby G from ABS
Lil too short from ABZ

Both got killed in a car

Baby g in 1998 was the driver when they were chasing north side Satanas car shooting each other up. He got hit in the head and died.

Lil too short was a passenger in a car. They were leaving hollywood club and got into it with some bloods. They don't know who it wasn't gang-related. Just argument on the street. He got hit in the back and died in the hospital.

Ocsfinest
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Santa ana

Unread post by Ocsfinest » April 21st, 2018, 2:32 pm

judastaugamma wrote:Only 2 van nuys ab got killed by enemies

The 2 I listed before

Baby G from ABS
Lil too short from ABZ

Both got killed in a car

Baby g in 1998 was the driver when they were chasing north side Satanas car shooting each other up. He got hit in the head and died.

Lil too short was a passenger in a car. They were leaving hollywood club and got into it with some bloods. They don't know who it wasn't gang-related. Just argument on the street. He got hit in the back and died in the hospital.
whats your thoughts on all the lbc SEA that got chipped int he past year or two

LBC been hot, and ABZ out there been getting it from all angles

judastaugamma
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by judastaugamma » April 22nd, 2018, 11:15 am

Ocsfinest wrote:
judastaugamma wrote:Only 2 van nuys ab got killed by enemies

The 2 I listed before

Baby G from ABS
Lil too short from ABZ

Both got killed in a car

whats your thoughts on all the lbc SEA that got chipped int he past year or two

LBC been hot, and ABZ out there been getting it from all angles
Thats always been lb abz.

They've always been getting chipped. Since I was young.

I think there's been more dead lb abz than van nuys abs, van nuys abz, Monterey Park abz, la abi, West side abz, North side abz put together.

Long beach always had numbers. But other abz sets seemed to have higher ratio of shooters.

Van nuys both abs and abz, viets, cambo or flip was with the gun play.

North side (shaggys not NS lb abz) had a bunch of shooters for how small they were.

LA ABI went on shooting rampages in sgv after kicker got killed by wc. Killing kids at arcades, killing a wc sister, shooting up graduation parties with aks, killing a wc dad, etc.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » April 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

There are alot of dead Long Beach Asian Boyz, there could be more, that it'll post later on

Richard "Pop Off" Van, 22, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed Monday, March 12, 2018 in the 1300 Block of Wesley Drive in Long Beach, California. Investigators think that multiple people got into a fight before Van was shot, the shooting was gang related. Van was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:56pm, according to corner's records.

David "Baby Funny" Mam, 17, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on May 23, 2009 in the 1000 Block of Hill Street in Long Beach, California. Witnesses told police that Mam was standing with a group of people when a car drove up and a passenger fired several times into the group, Mam, was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:45pm, according to coroner's records. TRG was responsible for this murder.

Chamreun "Deebo" Kong, 20, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on March 1, 2009 in the 2000 Block of Del Amo Boulevard in Long Beach, California. Police responded to a report of a fight in an alley about 2:00pm and found Kong dead, ES Paramount 13 was responsible for this murder.

Danny "Downer" Bunthung, 21, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member and his friend from EFCC, was shot and killed by TRG inside S&R Liquor Market store on the corner of Anaheim Street and Walnut Avenue on October 10, 2017, TRG was responsible for this murder.

Daniel "Do Dirt" Sevilla, 21, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by a Compton Crip gang member, Brandon Parker, 19, in a drug deal gone bad, Sevilla was trying to sell a bottle of codein syrup online for 450$, Brandon Parker responded to the sell, and agreed to meet up in person to purchase the codein bottle, but instead shot Sevilla and robbed the bottle, Sevilla died at the scene.

Yogi, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed in July 2016

Gumby, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed in 2005 by the Eastside Longos

Woodtee, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed in 2010 by TRG

Danny Chantha, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed by TRG in 2010 in the same incident as Woodtee

Shaggy, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

Joker, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

Wicked, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

Risky, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » May 5th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Wilson Laki "Lil Widdit" Edwards, 20, Born 11/14/1991 - Died 11/23/2011, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on November 23, 2011, Investigators believe that Edwards was walking down the block of Elm Avenue in Long Beach, California. when he was shot at, at 8:40pm, police arrived and they found Edwards body on the sidewalk. Paramedics were called and he was pronounced dead at the scene. According to coroner's records Edwards died from a gunshot wound to the head. The shooting is believed to be gang-related.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » May 15th, 2018, 2:45 am

Baby Cee, 22, January 1, 1996 - March 12, 2018, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on Monday, March 12, 2018. I Believe this murder was connected with the murder of Richard "Pop Off" Van, who died on the same day.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » May 17th, 2018, 1:00 am

Barry "Yogi" Prak, 27, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by a Long Beach police officer Tuesday, June 28, 2016 in the 2800 Block of East 15th street in Long Beach, California according to Los Angeles corner's records. Prak was a suspect in a January 26, 2014 gang related shooting in Long Beach that injured three men. Investigators obtained a warrant for Prak's arrest in april. Around 9am on June 28, 2016, members of the U.S marshalls Fugitive Task Force requested assistance after they spotted Prak and tried to arrest him in the area of 16th street and Temple avenue, Prak ran from the marshalls, who pursued him on foot into an apartment on East 15th street. Prak came outside of the apartment but failed to comply with the officers verbal commands. Prak charged aggressively at officers, and they fired a 40mm rubber baton round and unleashed a police dog named credo. As the police dog attacked Prak, Prak pulled out a knife and continued to advance. One of the officers discharged his weapon and both the suspect Prak and the police dog Credo were struck by gunfire. Prak was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11:01am with multiple gunshot wounds.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » September 23rd, 2018, 1:34 pm

Havoc, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

Baby Fam, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Wisconsin

Unread post by niceman » October 3rd, 2018, 3:05 am

Chrisna "Stranger" Long, 8/31/1992-3/5/2008, Fresno ABZ, killed by two rival Hispanic gang members from Floradora Street Bulldogs (Fresno Bulldogs set).

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Wisconsin

Unread post by niceman » October 3rd, 2018, 3:09 am

niceman wrote:Chrisna "Stranger" Long, 8/31/1992-3/5/2008, Fresno ABZ, killed by two rival Hispanic gang members from Floradora Street Bulldogs (Fresno Bulldogs set).
Oh wait this is LA based, lol my fault.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » November 16th, 2018, 12:44 am

Daniel "Scab" Chantha, 18, - Born March 2, 1982 - Died December 19, 2003 - A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by 28 year old Long Beach Tiny Raskal Gang member Reuel Dishon Hulbert. Hulbert was also convicted for the murders of Woodtee "Woody" Bunthong, another Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member, aswell as the murder of Sakorn Phan in 2003, and the attempted murder of a fourth man in 2004. Hulbert was a black member of one of long beach's oldest asian gangs, the "Tiny Raskal Gang", he was sentenced to life in prison on january 2009.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » November 16th, 2018, 12:52 am

Jesus, no offense nor any disrespect to the Long Beach Asian Boyz, but damn, Long Beach Tiny Raskal Gang put alot of there homies in graves, back in the days I never took the ABZ/TRG beef serious, but now its coming together, that it is a real beef, and there are people dead over it, I can see why that LB ABZ rapper "$tupid Young" dissed them first in his song "I Dont Like", he says "Fuck Raskals, Chongos and them Bean Pies".

OziHomie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Florida
What city do you live in now?: Sydney

Unread post by OziHomie » December 2nd, 2018, 4:27 am

a mate of mine owned a pad in the city.. which is one big asia town .. one nite he is drunken in a bar.. and even tho it was his regular hangout.. this nite was asia nite.. seems it got booked out anyway they never bothered him at all.. but he was telling me how right next to him they started brawling and smashing the living fuck out of each other smashing heads into the bar glasses in the face.. someone pulls a shank and starts stabbing another bloke.. all the while my mate who is a 6 foot 2 tall croat of 250 pounds size.. big boy.. he just sat there minding his own bizo while mayhem reigned all around him.. when he told me we just laughed .. the smaller viets had a ferocious rep .. i once saw 40 of them walk right past me .. none of them even shoulder height to me.. all tiny .. with messed up hairdos.. they walk into a bar.. 2 minutes later i see them all running out of the bar.. they'd just shot and killed another asian kid.. another time in juvi .. one of the head viet gangsters rings the detention centre.. and demands one of his mates be let out or all hell is gonna break loose.. the detention centre took his threats so serious they put 24 hour police guard at the gates for the next week.. that gangster is now dead too he was shot and killed by his own in a failed drug deal and is now imortalised in documentarys about asian gangs in my area.. yeah there's been some bad bad shit with asian on asian gangs.. i once saw 5 asian dudes chase another asian who ran for his life into a fire station.. they chased him in and started bashing him while i sat outside watching them.. then the big leader rolls up.. and drags him out.. he sees me watching and decides to not create a bad impression in front of a white kid.. so he hands him a hanky and starts talking nice to him and then lets him go.. a week later im pretty sure that dudes body was found in a car boot .. but who knows .. i would never have been able ot identify any of them but im pretty sure it was the dude id seen getting bashed that day.. most asians keep to themselves but they definately get respected out my way.. although it does seem the greatest threat they ever face is from their own

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » January 14th, 2019, 2:14 am

Olina Mung, A Fresno Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by rival Tiny Rascal Gang members in 2008.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » February 20th, 2019, 1:00 am

Ghost, A Monterray Park Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by rival Wah Ching gang members.

gardengroveboy
What city do you live in now?: Garden Grove

Unread post by gardengroveboy » March 7th, 2019, 7:47 pm

[quote="yoda100"]There are alot of dead Long Beach Asian Boyz, there could be more, that it'll post later on

Richard "Pop Off" Van, 22, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed Monday, March 12, 2018 in the 1300 Block of Wesley Drive in Long Beach, California. Investigators think that multiple people got into a fight before Van was shot, the shooting was gang related. Van was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5:56pm, according to corner's records.

David "Baby Funny" Mam, 17, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on May 23, 2009 in the 1000 Block of Hill Street in Long Beach, California. Witnesses told police that Mam was standing with a group of people when a car drove up and a passenger fired several times into the group, Mam, was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:45pm, according to coroner's records. TRG was responsible for this murder.

Chamreun "Deebo" Kong, 20, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed on March 1, 2009 in the 2000 Block of Del Amo Boulevard in Long Beach, California. Police responded to a report of a fight in an alley about 2:00pm and found Kong dead, ES Paramount 13 was responsible for this murder.

Danny "Downer" Bunthung, 21, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member and his friend from EFCC, was shot and killed by TRG inside S&R Liquor Market store on the corner of Anaheim Street and Walnut Avenue on October 10, 2017, TRG was responsible for this murder.

Daniel "Do Dirt" Sevilla, 21, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member was shot and killed by a Compton Crip gang member, Brandon Parker, 19, in a drug deal gone bad, Sevilla was trying to sell a bottle of codein syrup online for 450$, Brandon Parker responded to the sell, and agreed to meet up in person to purchase the codein bottle, but instead shot Sevilla and robbed the bottle, Sevilla died at the scene.

Gumby, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed in 2005 by the Eastside Longos

Danny Chantha, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed by TRG in 2010 in the same incident as Woodtee

Risky, A Long Beach Asian Boyz gang member shot and killed[/quote]

$tupid young, made a song about Do Dirt in one of his albums last year called "long live dirt" i believe it was called. I didn't know it was a compton crip that smoked him.

gardengroveboy
What city do you live in now?: Garden Grove

Unread post by gardengroveboy » March 7th, 2019, 7:47 pm

[quote="yoda100"]There are alot of dead Long Beach Asian Boyz, there could be more, that it'll post later on

$tupid young, made a song about Do Dirt in one of his albums last year called "long live dirt" i believe it was called. I didn't know it was a compton crip that smoked him.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » March 7th, 2019, 11:36 pm

[quote="gardengroveboy"][quote="yoda100"]There are alot of dead Long Beach Asian Boyz, there could be more, that it'll post later on

$tupid young, made a song about Do Dirt in one of his albums last year called "long live dirt" i believe it was called. I didn't know it was a compton crip that smoked him.[/quote]

Yup, do dirt got smoked by some black kid from some compton set, it was pretty much a set up, I don't believe the kid intended to kill do dirt, he just wanted to rob him, but as soon as he pulled out his gun, do dirt pulled his gun out too, and the kids reaction was to shoot first or he's dead, do dirt got hit, collapsed and died right there in the street, some sad shit, he just had a kid too, I remember $tupid Young saying in an interview they were like brothers, but werent related, they'd always be hangin out together and he said something along the lines of not wanting do dirt to follow in his footsteps of being in a gang, but he eventually got courted in without his consent.

yoda100
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yoda100 » November 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Truyen Pham, 23, An Asian Boyz gang member died after he was shot during an incident outside the "Spy Nightclub" in Houston, Texas on January 5, 2003. After the bar had closed for the night, the deputy who was one of the two off-duty officers from the harris county precinct 6 constable's office working security at the club shot him. Investigators say Pham had a blood alchohol contect of 0.15 percent, he was shot after he pulled out a gun and fired into the crowd, shooting a woman in the leg, then pointed the gun at one of the deputies. The second deputy, standing behind Pham, opened fire, killing him. An autopsy was performed on Pham, showing pham had multiple tattoos, including one on his upper right chest bearing a theatrical face with the inscription, "If I die, show no pity."

Pham also had a tattoo on his upper back reading, "Asian Boyz", aswell as another tattoo on his stomach reading "ABZ".

TrustySGV

Unread post by TrustySGV » November 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am

STS VS. ABZ...
Anthony Michael Halas and Kevin Anthony Paredes were convicted of first degree murder, with special circumstance [*2] findings that they had discharged a firearm from a motor vehicle, armed principal findings, and (as to Halas only) a finding that he had personally discharged a firearm and caused the victim's death. Both were sentenced to state prison for life without the possibility of parole, with an additional 25 years added to Halas's sentence for the personal discharge enhancement. They appeal, claiming there were numerous errors of constitutional proportion and contending there were a variety of evidentiary and sentencing errors. For different reasons, we reverse both judgments and remand for a new trial.

FACTS
On May 26, 1998, Thien Pham and Chris Dang (members of the San Fernando Valley Asian Boys gang) were driving west on Parthenia Street in Pham's Acura, with Michael Boonthawesuk (Asian Boys) and Kathy Bui following in a green Honda, when Boonthawesuk noticed a black Nissan 240 behind them. Boonthawesuk flashed his lights to get Pham's attention, and they both turned south onto Kelvin Avenue. Boonthawesuk pulled up next to Pham and asked whether Pham or Dang had seen the Nissan and whether "that was Satanas" (a rival San Fernando Valley gang). While they were talking, the Nissan [*3] drove toward the Asian Boys' cars, and both Pham and Boonthawesuk drove away.
Pham and Boonthawesuk turned west onto Chase Street, north onto DeSoto Avenue, east back onto Parthenia, and south onto Mason, all the while followed by the Nissan. The Nissan then drove onto the wrong side of the road and pulled along side Pham's Acura. Two gunshots were fired from the Nissan. Dang shot back, then noticed Pham had been hit and was lying on the steering wheel. Pham's car swerved, hit a curb, and stopped across the center line. Dang got out and discarded his gun. Boonthawesuk (who had been driving in front of Pham) heard the shots, looked in his rear view mirror, and saw Pham's car swerve, then stop. Pham died at the scene.
All of this occurred in broad daylight, in front of several innocent bystanders. Kirsten Dreyfus saw Pham's car and the Nissan, heard gunshots, and then saw a gun pointed out of the driver's window of Pham's car. James Sharp saw the two cars driving "erratically" and saw Pham's car hit the curb and stop, but did not hear gunshots. Thomas Kane heard engines racing and gunfire, walked toward Mason, saw the Nissan, and saw someone shooting a gun out of the Nissan's passenger [*4] window. None of the witnesses were able to identify the occupants of the Nissan.
Later that day, Halas and Paredes (both members of the Satanas gang) arrived at Jessica Lampl's house in the Nissan. Lampl (Halas's 14-year-old girlfriend) noticed three or four bullet holes on the passenger side of the Nissan, and later told the police that Halas was "really upset and looked like he was about to cry and [was] just freaking out and shaking." Lampl saw a handgun in the car.
At the scene of the shooting, the police found Dang's .380-caliber handgun and nine shell casings, but the murder weapon was never found. Pham's Acura was riddled with bullet holes. Sometime later, a Nissan belonging to Paredes was found abandoned and the car was impounded. There were two bullet holes in the passenger's side door and sanding marks around the holes. The front seats and radio were missing, but the ignition had not been "punched" and none of the windows were broken. No one had reported the car stolen.
In a taped interview, Paredes admitted to the police that he was the driver of the Nissan and he identified Halas as the shooter. n1 Halas and Paredes were thereafter arrested and charged with Pham's [*5] murder, with a special circumstance allegation that the murder was committed by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle, and additional allegations that the murder was committed for the benefit of a criminal street gang, that a principal was armed with a firearm, and that Halas personally discharged a firearm causing death. (Pen. Code, 187, subd. (a), 190.2, subd. (a)(21), 186.22, subd. (b)(1), 12022.5, subd. (a)(1), 12022.53, subds. (b), (c), (d), (e)(1).) n2 At trial, the People presented evidence of the facts summarized above. The jury rejected Paredes's and Halas's claim of self- defense and convicted them as charged. Paredes and Halas appeal.

TrustySGV

Unread post by TrustySGV » November 22nd, 2019, 9:05 am

STS VS. ABZ...
Anthony Michael Halas and Kevin Anthony Paredes were convicted of first degree murder, with special circumstance [*2] findings that they had discharged a firearm from a motor vehicle, armed principal findings, and (as to Halas only) a finding that he had personally discharged a firearm and caused the victim's death. Both were sentenced to state prison for life without the possibility of parole, with an additional 25 years added to Halas's sentence for the personal discharge enhancement. They appeal, claiming there were numerous errors of constitutional proportion and contending there were a variety of evidentiary and sentencing errors. For different reasons, we reverse both judgments and remand for a new trial.

FACTS
On May 26, 1998, Thien Pham and Chris Dang (members of the San Fernando Valley Asian Boys gang) were driving west on Parthenia Street in Pham's Acura, with Michael Boonthawesuk (Asian Boys) and Kathy Bui following in a green Honda, when Boonthawesuk noticed a black Nissan 240 behind them. Boonthawesuk flashed his lights to get Pham's attention, and they both turned south onto Kelvin Avenue. Boonthawesuk pulled up next to Pham and asked whether Pham or Dang had seen the Nissan and whether "that was Satanas" (a rival San Fernando Valley gang). While they were talking, the Nissan [*3] drove toward the Asian Boys' cars, and both Pham and Boonthawesuk drove away.
Pham and Boonthawesuk turned west onto Chase Street, north onto DeSoto Avenue, east back onto Parthenia, and south onto Mason, all the while followed by the Nissan. The Nissan then drove onto the wrong side of the road and pulled along side Pham's Acura. Two gunshots were fired from the Nissan. Dang shot back, then noticed Pham had been hit and was lying on the steering wheel. Pham's car swerved, hit a curb, and stopped across the center line. Dang got out and discarded his gun. Boonthawesuk (who had been driving in front of Pham) heard the shots, looked in his rear view mirror, and saw Pham's car swerve, then stop. Pham died at the scene.
All of this occurred in broad daylight, in front of several innocent bystanders. Kirsten Dreyfus saw Pham's car and the Nissan, heard gunshots, and then saw a gun pointed out of the driver's window of Pham's car. James Sharp saw the two cars driving "erratically" and saw Pham's car hit the curb and stop, but did not hear gunshots. Thomas Kane heard engines racing and gunfire, walked toward Mason, saw the Nissan, and saw someone shooting a gun out of the Nissan's passenger [*4] window. None of the witnesses were able to identify the occupants of the Nissan.
Later that day, Halas and Paredes (both members of the Satanas gang) arrived at Jessica Lampl's house in the Nissan. Lampl (Halas's 14-year-old girlfriend) noticed three or four bullet holes on the passenger side of the Nissan, and later told the police that Halas was "really upset and looked like he was about to cry and [was] just freaking out and shaking." Lampl saw a handgun in the car.
At the scene of the shooting, the police found Dang's .380-caliber handgun and nine shell casings, but the murder weapon was never found. Pham's Acura was riddled with bullet holes. Sometime later, a Nissan belonging to Paredes was found abandoned and the car was impounded. There were two bullet holes in the passenger's side door and sanding marks around the holes. The front seats and radio were missing, but the ignition had not been "punched" and none of the windows were broken. No one had reported the car stolen.
In a taped interview, Paredes admitted to the police that he was the driver of the Nissan and he identified Halas as the shooter. n1 Halas and Paredes were thereafter arrested and charged with Pham's [*5] murder, with a special circumstance allegation that the murder was committed by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle, and additional allegations that the murder was committed for the benefit of a criminal street gang, that a principal was armed with a firearm, and that Halas personally discharged a firearm causing death. (Pen. Code, 187, subd. (a), 190.2, subd. (a)(21), 186.22, subd. (b)(1), 12022.5, subd. (a)(1), 12022.53, subds. (b), (c), (d), (e)(1).) n2 At trial, the People presented evidence of the facts summarized above. The jury rejected Paredes's and Halas's claim of self- defense and convicted them as charged. Paredes and Halas appeal.