Jacob Riis High School

There is a rich history in our urban streets and many articles and documentaries are discussing these guys. Post your thoughts here about those O/Gs, Veteranos and other historical figures from the past.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Jacob Riis High School

Unread post by alexalonso » October 22nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

During the 1940s and 1950s everyone who was in a gang or club went to this all boys school or was connected to it. The school was founded in 1927 on 69th Street between Broadway & Main Street

Jonathanvic
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Lynwood

Re: Jacob Riis High School

Unread post by Jonathanvic » October 26th, 2010, 5:58 pm

That school and the original buildings are still there. In 1968 the name was changed to Bethune Jr. High School. That year everyone who lived in my old hood on 81st And Figueroa was transfered there from Bret Harte Jr. High. When I went there from 1971 tp 1974 we had different gangs there. There was E/S Crips there before they changed their name to East Coast Crips. The school is in what is now Six Pack ECC hood. We also had Swans, Figueroa Boys, Hoovers, and Brims there and there was always shit jumpin off. Seeing this thread brings back old memories about Terry Simmons, the Jarmon Brothers and other fools talking about going over to John Muir, Harvard Park, and Manual Arts to fuck up Terry Goudeau. I wonder what ever happened to those fools over the years. Don't mind me. I'm just an old dude reliving his younger days 8)

H572DSTA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by H572DSTA » October 27th, 2010, 6:37 am

Jonathanvic wrote:That school and the original buildings are still there. In 1968 the name was changed to Bethune Jr. High School. That year everyone who lived in my old hood on 81st And Figueroa was transfered there from Bret Harte Jr. High. When I went there from 1971 tp 1974 we had different gangs there. There was E/S Crips there before they changed their name to East Coast Crips. The school is in what is now Six Pack ECC hood. We also had Swans, Figueroa Boys, Hoovers, and Brims there and there was always shit jumpin off. Seeing this thread brings back old memories about Terry Simmons, the Jarmon Brothers and other fools talking about going over to John Muir, Harvard Park, and Manual Arts to fu-- up Terry Goudeau. I wonder what ever happened to those fools over the years. Don't mind me. I'm just an old dude reliving his younger days 8)
terry goudeau is still alive

yall aready had the 83 hoovers over there when you came up?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 29th, 2010, 4:35 am

Jonathanvic wrote:That school and the original buildings are still there. In 1968 the name was changed to Bethune Jr. High School. That year everyone who lived in my old hood on 81st And Figueroa was transfered there from Bret Harte Jr. High. When I went there from 1971 tp 1974 we had different gangs there. There was E/S Crips there before they changed their name to East Coast Crips. The school is in what is now Six Pack ECC hood. We also had Swans, Figueroa Boys, Hoovers, and Brims there and there was always shit jumpin off. Seeing this thread brings back old memories about Terry Simmons, the Jarmon Brothers and other fools talking about going over to John Muir, Harvard Park, and Manual Arts to fu-- up Terry Goudeau. I wonder what ever happened to those fools over the years. Don't mind me. I'm just an old dude reliving his younger days 8)
whats the exact address if you know? I want to visit it.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 29th, 2010, 4:41 am

I bet the school was not this big back in the day.
Attachments
bethune.JPG
Bethune
bethune.JPG (120.24 KiB) Viewed 6799 times

Jonathanvic
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Lynwood

Unread post by Jonathanvic » October 31st, 2010, 4:36 pm

The school is at 155 W. 69th St which is near Main & Florence. It was the same size as it is now but they put some bungalow buildings on part of what was then the P.E. field. Back then there were no 83 Hoovers. This is 1971 - 1974 when I went there. Back then the Hoovers called themselves the Hoover Groovers and they were the kids who came there from Loren Miller Elementary school and also some from Manchester Ave and 68th St schools.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 26th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Jonathanvic wrote:The school is at 155 W. 69th St which is near Main & Florence. It was the same size as it is now but they put some bungalow buildings on part of what was then the P.E. field. Back then there were no 83 Hoovers. This is 1971 - 1974 when I went there. Back then the Hoovers called themselves the Hoover Groovers and they were the kids who came there from Loren Miller Elementary school and also some from Manchester Ave and 68th St schools.
Raymond Washington (b. 1953) and Donald "Sweetback" Archie (b. 1954) attended this school. Must have been 1967 when Raymond would have been in the 9th grade and Sweetback would have been finishing the 8th grade. This of course was before full Crippin was in effect and before they had their street reputations.