entrepreneur Master P

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

entrepreneur Master P

Unread post by Qdawg » February 5th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Percy Robert Miller (born April 29, 1967 in New Orleans, Louisiana), better known as Master P, is an entrepreneur, businessman, marketing expert, and rap artist. He is the founder and CEO of No Limit Enterprises, an entertainment and financial conglomerate. Forbes magazine listed Master P as one of the wealthiest men under the age of 40 in North America, with a net worth of $300 million.

Master P was born Percy Miller in New Orleans, Louisiana, on April 29, 1967. Master P lived in New Orleans' Calliope Projects in the city's 3rd Ward when he was a child. Miller shuttled back and forth between New Orleans (where he attended high school and lived with his mother) and Richmond, California (where he spent summers with his father). While Miller became involved in the street hustling that was a part of life in inner-city New Orleans, he developed an entrepreneurial streak early on, as well as a passion for sports. Miller used his skills as a basketball player to earn a college scholarship to the University of Houston, where he studied business; in time, Miller left Houston and moved back to California, where he continued his studies at Merritt Junior College in Oakland.

In the late 1980s, Miller inherited $15,000 from his grandfather, and used the money to start a record store in Oakland, No Limit Records. Running the store allowed Miller to closely monitor what was selling in the growing hip-hop market, and in 1991 he cut his first album, Get Away Clean, under the name Master P for the tiny In A Minute label. While the first two Master P albums sold negligibly at first, he was quickly learning the rudiments of both the record business and the hardcore rap market, and in 1994, Miller observed that while major labels were shunning hard-edged "gangsta rap" in a desire to avoid controversy, there was still a large and loyal market for street-level hip hop. That year, Master P dropped his third album, the more accomplished 'The Ghetto's Tryin' to Kill Me!', on his own No Limit Records label.

Initially selling the album out of the trunk of his car, Master P avoided mainstream media outlets and instead promoted the album to independent record stores through word of mouth; The Ghetto's Tryin' to Kill Me! and its follow-up EP, 99 Ways to Die, together sold an impressive 250,000 copies without the benefit of national distribution. No Limit Records then signed a distribution deal with Priority Records, and in 1996, Master P's The Ice Cream Man debuted at number three on Billboard's R&B charts, despite receiving practically no mainstream radio or video play. Master P quickly expanded his label, first by releasing the top-selling hip-hop compilation West Coast Bad Boyz, and then by signing his brothers to No Limit, who recorded rough-and-tumble gangsta rap not unlike Master P's, under the names C-Murder and Silkk the Shocker. The three Millers also recorded together under the blanket name TRU, while rappers Mystikal and Mia X also recorded platinum-plus releases for No Limit.

By 1999 Master P built an empire worth $400 million in four years according to Fortune magazine, a feat which has never been matched in hip hop history.

Before Master P, Hip Hop artists had historically focused more on the artistic and glamorous side of Hip Hop while paying very little attention to the business and financial aspects. All that changed in 1996 when Master P signed a ground breaking music distribution deal with Priority Records, one where No Limit Records would retain 100% ownership of their Master Recordings and keep 85% of their record's sales while giving Priority 15% in return for pressing and distribution. Master P went on to make hundreds of millions of dollars from this deal.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » February 5th, 2007, 8:30 pm

i dont like his music but i give him props for wat he did in the rap game.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Qdawg » February 5th, 2007, 8:42 pm

"By 1999 Master P built an empire worth $400 million in four years according to Fortune magazine, a feat which has never been matched in hip hop history. "

:!:

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » February 6th, 2007, 7:38 pm

master P had some bomb ass songs back in the day..olda niggaz use to play him back in africa shit was bumpin on some real shi..that ice cream man song..bout it buot it...miss my homies...the streets tryda kill me or somethin ...people hate on my nigga master P but that nigga made some reall ass shit

Oaktown_G
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown_G » February 6th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I still remember ice cream man like it was yesterday those were the good ol days