Ultimate Fighting

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Ultimate Fighting

Unread post by jboogie » May 6th, 2004, 9:09 pm

Silva is a beast and is going through everyone right now, I think the only person I can see beating hime would be someone who could neutralize his striking maybe a good wrestler like Randy Couture, I would also like see a rematch with Belfort and Silva.

Digital_Designs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Digital_Designs » May 7th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Silva is going through cans that Pride feeds him.... I honestly think Lidell, Belfort, Couture, and a fresh Rampage would hand him his a$s...Silva is very aggressive and a good striker but he has NO chin, he gets rocked in all of his fights......

jboogie
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by jboogie » August 28th, 2004, 6:14 pm

Did anyone see the last events UFC and Pride had? I read that Couture dominated Vitor Belfort,and that Silva whooped on Yuki Kondo pretty bad. I also read that now both Couture and Silva are going to face each other next, which is a hell of a match for MMA fans. Both guys are on winning streaks, but I have to pick Couture on this one whenever he is in a big fight he seems to step up to a whole new level.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 6th, 2005, 8:42 pm

any one know how you go about getting into somthing like cage fighting?
i did the karate and tae kwon do thing when i was younger, i wrestled in high school.

just currious, thanks

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » February 6th, 2005, 9:16 pm

You did Karate bro? Was always curious as to how different it was from Tae Kwon Do. Finished at first level black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and then I moved onto wrestling. I always wondered if I made a mistake not trying Karate.

BobBarker
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BobBarker » February 7th, 2005, 12:13 am

i remember seeing the previews for it but i never ordered it cause it looked boring to me

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 7th, 2005, 1:41 am

Godfather wrote:You did Karate bro? Was always curious as to how different it was from Tae Kwon Do. Finished at first level black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and then I moved onto wrestling. I always wondered if I made a mistake not trying Karate.
they're cousin arts...TKD focuses more on kickin' though. they are known for their kicks. Karate has a lil' more of both.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 7th, 2005, 3:31 am

there isn't really too much of a difference between the two, to be honest.
i like wrestling, the competitive nature of man on man was pretty raw.
but to say that you made a mistake, even to think that would be a mistake, dude if you got to black belt then you have no loss in the matter.
i want to get into somthing like submission fighting, that would be dope,

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 7th, 2005, 3:43 am

WhiteBoy wrote:there isn't really too much of a difference between the two, to be honest.
but to say that you made a mistake, even to think that would be a mistake, dude if you got to black belt then you have no loss in the matter.
a black belt in the states is prolly equivalent to like half of the trainin' needed for a black belt back in the homeland...all the arts are watered down in the states...

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 7th, 2005, 5:04 pm

the tae kwon do instructor that i studied under spend years in korea getting his 6th degree.

Godfather
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Godfather » February 7th, 2005, 6:14 pm

kiCKer wrote:
WhiteBoy wrote:there isn't really too much of a difference between the two, to be honest.
a black belt in the states is prolly equivalent to like half of the trainin' needed for a black belt back in the homeland...all the arts are watered down in the states...
Yeah...he's right.

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 7th, 2005, 7:45 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:the tae kwon do instructor that i studied under spend years in korea getting his 6th degree.
6th degree is nothin'...trust me...my instructor was an 8th degree...and he spent nearly 40 years trainin'. he was only like one of a handful who was more than 6th degree. his younger brother was only 6th degree and he was in his 40s

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 8th, 2005, 1:20 am

kiCKer wrote:
WhiteBoy wrote:the tae kwon do instructor that i studied under spend years in korea getting his 6th degree.
6th degree is nothin'...trust me...my instructor was an 8th degree...and he spent nearly 40 years trainin'. he was only like one of a handful who was more than 6th degree. his younger brother was only 6th degree and he was in his 40s

for you to say that 6th degree is nothing is utterly ignorant.
i can't remember the guy who started that gyms name but im pretty sure that he had somthing like 8th degree or more.
in order to achieve somthing like that you must devote a huge portion of your life to it.

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 8th, 2005, 2:24 am

WhiteBoy wrote:
kiCKer wrote:

for you to say that 6th degree is nothing is utterly ignorant.
i can't remember the guy who started that gyms name but im pretty sure that he had somthing like 8th degree or more.
in order to achieve somthing like that you must devote a huge portion of your life to it.
you are pretty sure he had somethin' like 8th degree or more? okay man...how long did it take you to get your black belt? or what belt did you go up to and how long did it take you? you do know that half of the colors they use in the states are not original...you do know all them stripes and crap are not original...

come on man...we had instructors in my dojo who were 4th/5th/6th...and yes, they are nothin'. it took my master his whole life to get where he is (he's in his 50s/60s now) and he's only an 8th degree. his younger brother is barely a 6th degree.

he said it himself...more than half the dojo's who started up claimin' they are 8th degree and above are fake. the reason bein' is they are not traditional TKD dojos...you know that if you are a black belt in Korea, you are considered a "lethal weapon". but how many black belts do we have in the states...would you consider them lethal weapons? highly doubt it...

so go verify that the place you trained at was true...they have to be certified under the Korean TKD. not them american fedarations and shiet...

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 8th, 2005, 8:02 pm

its been some years since i was doing that any way and i do fully understand the watering down of the true martial arts.
i am interested in mixed martial arts fighting, i would love to get into some stuff like that, there is a tkd place just a few blocks away from here not to mention that im in chicago and if they don't have it here im not sure where they will have it,
if you have any advice on what would be a good suit to study that would be dope,
the guy who started the dojo was never even around the whole time i trained there, he was a korean dude seeking his what ever over in soul korea.
is Dim Mak real? what about mental conditioning, whos the best for that?

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 8th, 2005, 8:25 pm

it all depends...generally...a form of strikin' and grapplin' is the best. most people choose muy thai and jujitsu. for me...i wanna learn boxin' cuz i already took TKD for my legs and kicks. my big homie, who's been boxin' since he was eight years old is gonna train me...i'd rather know boxin' over some sort of grapplin'...cuz i'm only gonna use it for self-defense and most of the times...ain't no one guy gonna come up to you and start shiet...usually, it's gonna be a group or at least two...when that happens, grapplin' is pretty much useless. you can't arm-lock a guy and leg-lock another...so i'd rather learn some good strikin' to take them both down quickly...

but anyway...to answer you...dim mak...that's just channelin' your energy. it's more mental than physical. anyone can do it with proper trainin'...there were days when i couldn't break a single board...other days i could jump kick and break a few boards easily...it's all mental man...

and the best thing for mental conditionin' is really...i dunno...that mostly depends on you...and how bad you want it...

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 8th, 2005, 9:21 pm

there is no reason not to get into some stuff like that at this point in my life i am 20 ill be 21 in a month, so basically its now or never if i wantt to go some where with it.
the whole weapon thing doesn't do much for me like nun chucks or what ever, but seeing some one get blasted in their jaw and drop to the ground man that gets me up.
did you see that thai fighting thing on mtv? its like real life: im a thai fighter.

kiCKer
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kiCKer » February 8th, 2005, 11:20 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:there is no reason not to get into some stuff like that at this point in my life i am 20 ill be 21 in a month, so basically its now or never if i wantt to go some where with it.
the whole weapon thing doesn't do much for me like nun chucks or what ever, but seeing some one get blasted in their jaw and drop to the ground man that gets me up.
did you see that thai fighting thing on mtv? its like real life: im a thai fighter.
yea...i saw that...most thai fighters have lethal legs and know how to take blows, but generally...their arms are not that strong in striking. a well-trained boxer will outpunch them. couple my friends are thai fighters...they can scrap for sure. i just like boxin' cuz i'm already used to my legs after years of TKD. i wanna get more into my arms and fists...

how you think i got the plaka, kiCKer...lol

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » February 9th, 2005, 7:21 pm

is there a way to learn to take hits better?
its never been a problem, my style is to close the gap and take it to the ground then use my leverage to get on top and punish who ever i had to take down.
the whole balance weight thing has worked well for me, if some one wants to put weight on you, thats fine make it work for you, if they rush you take their force and energy and turn it into a crippling throw and drop them on their head or shoulder.

K1LLJOY
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by K1LLJOY » March 3rd, 2005, 8:24 pm

do any of you own ufc videos or dvds? ive seen in some malls that got dvd
packs that come with like 50 fights and ima pick 2 of them b-tches up

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » March 4th, 2005, 12:47 am

watch spike tv late at night, they advertise that stuff, you can get 2 videos and tito ortis ultimate take downs for like 30 bucks or somthing, that seems like a good idea,
the vids are called ultimate beat downs 1 and 2.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » March 7th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I'd recommend training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's one of the most practical marial arts out there. After Royce Gracie smoked everyone in the first couple of UFC's, pretty much everybody trains in it now to some extent. It doesn't involve a lot of striking though so a lot of people will also train in muay thai.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » March 7th, 2005, 2:31 pm

Effective martial art but boring as a mug to watch. That's why I like K2 better than UFC. With UFC it's always dropped to the ground and a game of endurance and tolerance for pain.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 10th, 2005, 6:13 pm

Yeah what is neat about the UFC is the cross training. Like currently it would be pretty hard to compete if you didn't have atleast some training in BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing etc.

Back in the day it used to be the Ultimate Brawler, but now it really is the Ultimate Fighter.

Anyone have any picks for Couture vs Liddell?

blkjoker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by blkjoker » March 11th, 2005, 9:00 am

I use to be in Karate when I was in Hawaii I started when I was 6 years old and two years later I had a black belt. In the states they really dont go into the dept of it, your mind has a lot to do with any fighting style. They don't teach you that, just a few moves. I ue to think I was bad because I had a black belt, all I was, was flexiable and knew a few moves. Come on now a 8 year old with a black belt? As I got older I could tell the difference in a US fighter then one from another country like Japan. Karate is art, they master every move and holds, it really do take years and years to really master it.
Helms wrote:I'd recommend training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's one of the most practical marial arts out there. After Royce Gracie smoked everyone in the first couple of UFC's
Yes thats when I use to watch the UFC, they had no weight classes, now they do and have to many rules. I dont wach it now, Royce was my favorite fighter, boy them Gracies was deep, I liked how they use to come down to the ring. Somebody told me there are like 500 of them, thats a big family.

BendyThumbs
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BendyThumbs » March 11th, 2005, 10:53 am

Yeah and everyone the women could beat us all up!

It is cool to see the next generation of Gracies like Ryan, Rodrigo and Daniel fighting.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Helms » March 11th, 2005, 3:51 pm

One of the cool things about BJJ is the way the belts work. It's impossible for an 8 year old to get a black belt. There's no testing for it. If you're a white belt and you're consistantly beating up all the other white belts then they decide you're ready to level up. If your'e a kid, then you've got to wait until you can beat up all the big boys.

North Face
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by North Face » March 15th, 2005, 1:10 pm

seen the latest fight yo that was some nice mark on that mans left eye. Man might be in trouble if wound wont heal. But the person who lost finally received his first lost. nice fight but lasted only like a minute.

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » March 16th, 2005, 8:54 am

hi guys ,only want to put this info here what belt ;when for ex in Judo

1.black belt =1.Dan min.age 16;prepairing 3 years +5 points
2.Dan = 18 years of age;3 years +5 points
3.Dan = 4 years prepariing +5 fighting points in contests
4.Dan =4 years prepairing+5
5.Dan = 5 years ;4 if judging+10 fight points;3 if trainer license and 15 points
same principle for above
you earn points in competition ;from 0.25 to 2
so ,the lower your rank and the higher the opposit ones ,the more points you get.the most a 5.Dan and higher can get is one point per fight.
the rest you can only get for honnour in training and supporting actively your sport,for decades.
Think it is simiilar in other Japaneese sports.

now crocop defeated Randelman this year and he should fight Wanderlei Silva this april ,or...?

PREACH
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by PREACH » June 19th, 2005, 3:47 pm

bj penn is the truth.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 23rd, 2005, 8:03 pm

He's agreat fighter. I'll tell you who had potential (before hi injury) was that Robbie Lawler kid. He was an animal. He's only like, 20 years old. He would have been a powerhouse on his weight class if he hadn't injured his hip. Damn shame. Hes from Iowa, I am currently trying to adopt him at my gym. I'll manage him, train him and try to get him back at his best if he's interested.

Having a hard time getting ahold of the owner of his gym in Iowa.

MICK
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MICK » June 23rd, 2005, 8:03 pm

By the way, I just got the dvd of this event. (UFC 45 10th anniversary)
and in the cabbage/Tank match, you see me alot. Both when I walk in with Tank, during the brawl, but the best shots of me are after the brawl.
If anyone has the DVD, I am wearing a POW/MIA leather vest and a blue bandana on my head. After the brawl, Tank walks over to me, right in front of the camera, and gives me a five for taking his back so quickly. Right when there was a guy from Cabbage's team that jumped over the cage to get to Tank, and I crossed him in the jaw. Unfortunanty, you dont see that, because they do not want to portray UFC as an unproffesional event. Infact, Joe Rogan (the announcer) was saying the whole time that "this is bullsh*t, and its not what UFC is about".

Anyway, look for me.

~Mick