Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez

Unread post by Coup » May 30th, 2013, 10:35 am

This will be a very tough fight for Money May...I got him in decision. Canelo will get plenty schooling from De La Hoya and his camp on how to avoid Mayweathers counter shots. I still see Mayweather taking advantage in areas Trout didn't. Canelo looked tired at the end of some of those rounds.

This could be the first fight that Mayweather gets knocked down though. Canelo does not have great hand speed, but he has power. A few body shots and a body shove could get counted as a knock down.

I love boxing and might have to hit Vegas for this fight.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Mayweather vs. Alvarez

Unread post by oso1 » May 30th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Is it official, is this fight on? If so, is it at a catch weight?

For the past couple of weeks all i've been reading is that Mayweather will not fight over 147 lbs. And Alvarez will not fight below 154.

Look at Alvarez, man he's solid, he can't make 147 comfortably. He barely has any fat on him. He would have to lose muscle to make the welterweight limit.

Both Mosley and Trout have said, that Alvarez is faster than what they thought he would be. I don't think Alvarez has the speed to bother Floyd. He's been in the ring with faster fighters.

realgee

Unread post by realgee » May 30th, 2013, 11:10 pm

I wonder if there going to have a rehydrate clause in the contract.I know Alavarez came into the ring at Trout fight at 173.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » May 31st, 2013, 12:50 am

Canelo is young and may not have the experience to get to Money May.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » May 31st, 2013, 12:51 am

If Money May beats Canelo Alvarez, he should retire and everyone admit he is the greatest boxer in history.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » May 31st, 2013, 9:06 am

It is official and it is at a catch weight which is why I think Floyd will beat him in a clear decision. They will fight at 152lbs....too low for Canelo. And realgee you are right...when Canelo fought Trout he was around 173lbs which is why I didn't see him and Floyd fighting this soon.

This will be the biggest fight of the year.

Alonso...I still think Floyd has a few more he wants to knock off...his deal with Showtime is for 6-fights.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » May 31st, 2013, 11:32 am

Coup wrote:It is official and it is at a catch weight which is why I think Floyd will beat him in a clear decision. They will fight at 152lbs....too low for Canelo. And realgee you are right...when Canelo fought Trout he was around 173lbs which is why I didn't see him and Floyd fighting this soon.

Alonso...I still think Floyd has a few more he wants to knock off...his deal with Showtime is for 6-fights.
@ Coup- I agree playa! losing that weight will definately affect his power, and I think that Floyd will out point him. This will be a big fight, but I think that Floyd still has something to prove, so win or lose he will definately fight again.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » May 31st, 2013, 2:44 pm

^^Yep....Canelo is a really good fighter but Trout was able to show what he can and cannot do.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 1st, 2013, 3:52 am

After thinking about it, at 152 or 154 it doesn't matter. I think Mayweather will beat Alvarez by unanimous decision. I'll even go as far to say that Mayweather puts on another boxing clinic.

But honestly, I would give Floyd more credit if there were no catch weights involved. This way, there would be no excuses as to why Alvarez lost.

Coup, you brought up Alvarez throwing body punches on Floyd. I wonder how Alvarez is going to react when Floyd lands his own body shots, especially those jabs to the mid section. I was impressed with Floyd when he was hurting Guerrero with those punches.

I give Alvarez a lot of credit. First Trout, now Mayweather. He really wants to prove that he's the better fighter. He's even willing to fight at a catch weight. I wish more fighters would challenge themselves like Saul Alvarez.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 1st, 2013, 3:57 am

realgee wrote:I wonder if there going to have a rehydrate clause in the contract.I know Alavarez came into the ring at Trout fight at 173.
This a good question. I hope not.

As long as both fighters make weight the day before, thats all that should matter.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » June 1st, 2013, 9:50 am

oso1 wrote:After thinking about it, at 152 or 154 it doesn't matter. I think Mayweather will beat Alvarez by unanimous decision. I'll even go as far to say that Mayweather puts on another boxing clinic.

But honestly, I would give Floyd more credit if there were no catch weights involved. This way, there would be no excuses as to why Alvarez lost.

Coup, you brought up Alvarez throwing body punches on Floyd. I wonder how Alvarez is going to react when Floyd lands his own body shots, especially those jabs to the mid section. I was impressed with Floyd when he was hurting Guerrero with those punches.

I give Alvarez a lot of credit. First Trout, now Mayweather. He really wants to prove that he's the better fighter. He's even willing to fight at a catch weight. I wish more fighters would challenge themselves like Saul Alvarez.
@ Oso1- Good points! I agree 100% Many of the fighters today try to wait to the champ gets older to try to fight him. Canelo is showing some heart. I have to say that you see that alot from the Mexican fighters. They have such long amateur careers they are seasoned when they get to the big leagues. Many of our American fighters wait too long and look at it soley from a business perspective. Get in the ring and fight!

realgee! That is a good question. How does that clause work? Is it that they have a limit on how much weight they can gain after the weigh in?

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 1st, 2013, 9:51 am

Alvarez is a natural at 154...even 160 when you think about it. He should be able to take the punches. Those counter shots for Money will add up. Trout was busy and had Alvarez back pedaling at the end of some of those rounds. Floyd is smarter and faster than Trout....his game plan will be interesting.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 1st, 2013, 5:27 pm

alexalonso wrote:If Money May beats Canelo Alvarez, he should retire and everyone admit he is the greatest boxer in history.
If Floyd beats Alvarez there's going to be nothing but excuses. I could hear it now, Alvarez was weight drained, he's inexperienced, etc etc.

A win over Alvarez would hardly make Mayweather the greatest boxer. It's not Saul's fault, hes been matched up well.

Alvarez has only ONE good name on his record, and that's Trout. Everyone keeps saying he has all this power but he couldn't even drop an old shop worn Mosley or finish off Trout.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 2nd, 2013, 1:32 am

Coup wrote:It is official and it is at a catch weight which is why I think Floyd will beat him in a clear decision. They will fight at 152lbs....too low for Canelo. And realgee you are right...when Canelo fought Trout he was around 173lbs which is why I didn't see him and Floyd fighting this soon.

6 fights.
1. Canelo
2. Manny Pac
3. Adrien Broner
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 2nd, 2013, 7:20 am

I don't think he'll fight Broner.

After Alvarez in no particular order,

1. Alvarez
2. winner of Pacquiao vs Rios
3. Devon Alexander or Mike Alvarado.
4. winner of Matthysse vs Garcia
5. Sergio Martinez - Age and injuries are catching up to him, perfect time for Floyd to fight him.
6. Maidana, Khan, or Bradley?

Did I miss anyone?

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 3rd, 2013, 9:46 am

Trout could get a shot...maybe JMM again for $$ purposes.

I don't know about Manny now....I think he is done. There are reports that he may not fight in the US again after the Rios fight.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 6th, 2013, 3:41 am

Not long ago, Marquez has said on camera that he doesn't want to fight Mayweather again. But you never know.

Speaking of Trout, he wants to fight on the undercard of Mayweather vs Alvarez. I hope he does. Like to see him back in the ring soon.

Rumors all over the net about Pacquiao going broke, which is why he's fighting Rios in China. Don't quote me on this but, every time Manny fights in the U.S. he gets taxed 40%.

Then Arum, Roach, Ariza, and whoever else gets their cut.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 6th, 2013, 6:31 am

I think the phrase "Styles makes Fights" is absolutely true in the case of a Marquez vs Mayweather

If Mayweather sticks to Boxing and using his superior defense

I think it would be pretty much the same outcome

Pacquiao style was taylor made for Dynamita Marquez

only because Pac-mans style to go head up and try and knock you out ... Dynamita was able to capatilize on crack him

Dynamita is one of the best counter punchers in the game

plus he's had 4 fights to figure out the pac-man...

and in each fight, he got better and better

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 6th, 2013, 6:38 am

matter fact

Marquez got robbed in one of their previous fights and at least one more should have been a draw

i think it was embarrasement to Boxing's corruption that that had 3 fight to 0 in favor of Pac-mac coming into their last fight

if it was really the case - nobody would want or care for a 4th fight ...

but the reality to the true boxing aficionado was it should have been 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw for Pacman and Dynamita Marquez

and the 4th ... bueno :mrgreen: ... JMM finally took the judges out of the equasion and knocked out Pac-man

vicious KO at that

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 6th, 2013, 9:29 am

MARTINEZ wrote:matter fact

Marquez got robbed in one of their previous fights and at least one more should have been a draw

i think it was embarrasement to Boxing's corruption that that had 3 fight to 0 in favor of Pac-mac coming into their last fight

if it was really the case - nobody would want or care for a 4th fight ...

but the reality to the true boxing aficionado was it should have been 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw for Pacman and Dynamita Marquez

and the 4th ... bueno :mrgreen: ... JMM finally took the judges out of the equasion and knocked out Pac-man

vicious KO at that

^^Nothing but truth here.

I will go further and say that their first three fights, I had JMM winning two. He came back in the 1st and clearly should have won the 3rd.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 11th, 2013, 5:10 am

So Mayweather vs Alvarez is going to be the biggest fight of 2013. I'd like to hear some predictions. Try to be as specific as possible. KO/TKO, which round, UD/Split decision, any knock downs, and fouls (head butt) :lol: etc, etc.

Coup, alexalonzo, Quepollo3, Martinez, and any others, what do you think?

Reason why I ask is, way before JMM vs Pacquiao took place, some guy made the prediction that Marquez would knock out Pacquiao with a counter right hand. He described it in detail too. Almost to a T. Blew me away.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 11th, 2013, 11:37 am

2 ways this fight can go

* if Canelo catches Mayweather early on with some good power shots, he has a good chance of TKO in the latter rounds, so he should go in there gunning, cus he aint never gonna win a decision vs Money. He can only win if he cracks Mayweather

* Mayweather decides he doesnt wanna take any risk what-soever and is happy sticking and jabbing, using his superior speed and goes on to a very boring but decisive points victory

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 11th, 2013, 1:03 pm

^^My thoughts as well.....I just think that Mayweather is getting older and may try and wear Canelo out and work him in the later rounds. Money is not as fast, but still faster than damn near 98% of those in the division...definitely faster then Canelo.

Canelo is skilled and has good power. Trout made Money's decision easy. Trout exposed a lot about Canelo...taking rounds off, stamina, he out punched himself it looked like a few rounds...his lack of accuracy during some of the rounds. You have to wonder if he did not hurt Trout with that knock down, what would have happened.

I got Mayweather by decision....or late round 10 or 11 stoppage. He will put a lot of punches together and I see this fight similar to the way I saw Money vs. Mosley. The danger is definitely there and if Money were to ever get dropped it could be Canelo.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 11th, 2013, 1:26 pm

here's a key factor which we have to consider

nobody has ever really tested Floyd Mayweathers chin

thats probably has more to do with Floyd's Defensive skills and that he's so fast and has great movement

he doesnt stick around for the punch to land flush on the chin (thats what theFuck your suppsosed to do, right?!) :mrgreen:

but a sign of a truly great fighter of any era is also his ability to take a punch... and not just dish it out.

Floyds day is coming where he's going to have to show that he has such a chin .... or not.

this "might" end up looking like Julio Cesar Chavez vs Roger "The Black Mamba" aka "el Verdugo de los Mexicanos" Mayweather ... or at least thats what im personally hoping to see... a battle of honor and pride

Anybody hear a true Boxing aficionado?

el Verdugo de los Mexicanos = the Mexican Conqueror

last guy that had that title was a lil bad ass Filipino who got cracked by a Mexican named Dynamite!

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 11th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Mosley tested his chin....2nd round of their fight. Money almost hit the canvas...and was dinged. He got pissed and went on to wear Mosley's ass out for the rest of that fight. Shit.....Mosley's trainer predicted it and saw it coming...He said this would be the first time we see Money turn into a fighter and not some dancing boxer.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » June 11th, 2013, 3:21 pm

i didnt catch that fight ^

any links?

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 11th, 2013, 3:47 pm

MARTINEZ wrote:here's a key factor which we have to consider

nobody has ever really tested Floyd Mayweathers chin
You call yourself a boxing aficionado? Did you not see Mayweather fight, Mosley and Corley? Mayweather passed the test with flying colors.

Go to 20:30 of the video

thats probably has more to do with Floyd's Defensive skills and that he's so fast and has great movement

he doesnt stick around for the punch to land flush on the chin (thats what theFuck your suppsosed to do, right?!) :mrgreen:
That's the name of the game. Hit and don't get hit!
but a sign of a truly great fighter of any era is also his ability to take a punch... and not just dish it out.

What the hell did I just read? And you call yourself a boxing aficionado?
Floyds day is coming where he's going to have to show that he has such a chin .... or not.
Already been proven. He took some clean shots from Castillo too, and wasn't even hurt.
this "might" end up looking like Julio Cesar Chavez vs Roger "The Black Mamba
I like how you used "might" to save your ass. Alvarez is not on Chavez's level and Floyd is better than his uncle Roger.
Anybody hear a true Boxing aficionado?
Before I comment on this, I want to point out that I don't consider myself an expert, i'm a student of this game. Always open to learn something new.

I'll never call a boxer/fighter names(mama verga). I have too much respect for what fighters do, which is get in the ring/cage and risk their lives.

Martinez, you are no boxing aficionado.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 11th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Coup wrote:Mosley tested his chin....2nd round of their fight. Money almost hit the canvas...and was dinged. He got pissed and went on to wear Mosley's ass out for the rest of that fight. Shit.....
Mosley's trainer predicted it and saw it coming.
..He said this would be the first time we see Money turn into a fighter and not some dancing boxer.
The Dragon gonna sprout wings? HA HA HA HA HA

Ahh you beat me to it Coup. School this guy.

oso1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by oso1 » June 11th, 2013, 3:54 pm

MARTINEZ wrote:i didnt catch that fight ^

any links?

Boxing aficionado? Yeah ok.

BlueMoon
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BlueMoon » June 11th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Another may weather victim

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 11th, 2013, 4:15 pm

oso1 wrote:
MARTINEZ wrote:i didnt catch that fight ^

any links?

Boxing aficionado? Yeah ok.
:lol: Stall Martinez out...he is like all my old school partners...they like straight fighters. Money is a pure boxer/counter puncher...He abuses his opponents and once he sees he has taking their will, he destroys them. I know what Martinez is talking about though...straight Hagler v Hearns, Hagler v Duran or Leonard v Duran type fights.

Coup
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Coup » June 11th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Oso1 what you know about Hagler v The Beast Mugabi....Money is not looking as old as Hagler was then, but I could make a comparison between that fight and this one. Mugabi was undefeated and I think all of his fights were won by KO. Hagler went at him something viscous.

Money will not have the same strategy but if Canelo wears down, I can see Money trying to knock Canelo out.

Chop Chop was good for a minute...but couldn't finish the big fights. Judah, Cotto, Money, and another from that group all beat him.