MAJOR NEWSPAPER REVIEWS

Discuss anything music from hip-hop to R&B to alternative music and all Sports.
caineIsignz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

MAJOR NEWSPAPER REVIEWS

Unread post by caineIsignz » December 3rd, 2003, 4:32 pm

BOSTON GLOBE

In ''Tupac: Resurrection,'' the slain rapper and actor Tupac Shakur narrates the story of his life and ultimately his demise. This is good news for the fans, conspiracy theorists, and cultural thinkers who've made him a hip-hop messiah: Easter comes twice this year.
The fact is that ''Resurrection'' helps feed the idea that Shakur might still be among us.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS
Tupac's legend survives. In fact, so much music by Shakur has been released since his death that some devotees insist that the man still walks among us.
Tupac: Resurrection, a documentary about the incendiary rapper, isn't likely to put such rumors to rest.

PHILLY INQUIRER
In fact, those who think that Shakur took the advice of political philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli and faked his own death will see Resurrection as more reason to believe that 'Pac lives.
He seems to be speaking from the great beyond - or perhaps from his rumored hideout in Cuba - when he tells us: "This is my story, a story about ambition, violence, redemption and love," or, eerily, "I knew I was gonna get shot."

ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION
The spooky, “oooh-weee-ooooh” feeling that hangs over this autobiography-of-sorts is thick.
Especially when Shakur makes such past-tense statements as, “I had a prophecy about my death” and “In my life, I was different things to different people.”

TAMPA TRIBUNE
They could have called it "Dead Man Talking.'' "I knew I was gonna get shot,'' Tupac Shakur narrates early in the documentary about his short, troubled and undeniably brilliant life. Did the prodigious performer really predict his 1996 (and unsolved) murder at a Las Vegas intersection?

DENVER POST
Some of the hardcore fans weren't as concerned with the September 2002 Times article as much as they were with the September 2003 anniversary - the seven-year anniversary of Shakur's death.
Many, including Public Enemy frontman Chuck D., believed Tupac faked his own death to get away from Knight, P. Diddy's burgeoning Bad Boy Records clan and everyone else who wanted him dead. Some think he's gone forever, sitting on some sun-drenched desert island or in Canada getting his tattoos removed.
The other camp played around with numerology and felt Tupac was going to come back to life - be resurrected - exactly seven years after his death. (They got this idea partly because the record released two months after Tupac's death was subtitled "The 7 Day Theory" and released under the pseudonym Makaveli, named after the Italian statesman/writer Niccol Machiavelli, who faked his death and came back seven days later to take revenge on his enemies.)

Every paper i read gave the movie a good-great review. The article in the Denver Post is excellent you may want to read it all.

Michelle

Re: MAJOR NEWSPAPER REVIEWS

Unread post by Michelle » December 17th, 2003, 11:01 am

Yeah, it's not out in the UK yet...damn....but you're right about it getting good reviews, the majority of reviews I've heard so far, have been good.

Someone said the documentary gripped even the viewers who aren't interested in rap, as it cuts to the heart of American society in an unnerving way. And she gave this report on it aswell......I look forward to seeing it.

As the film begins you feel that Broomfield is just stirring up a conspiracy, blithely wandering into offices and acting like he has no idea how inflammatory his questions are. Hints of an East/West Coast rap music feud are unconvincing, as are early comments about police involvement. And his whiney voiceovers make us think he's way out of his depth. Then the interviewees start squirming, giving obviously misleading information, and we realise he is onto something. His grating (and ingratiating) persona belies his sharp skills, and as details start to come together we start worrying for his safety. Indeed, the mere fact that this film exists could force him underground, Salman Rushdie-like. And perhaps that's what makes thus such a compelling documentary.