MEXICAN MAFIA KILLER-TURNED SNITCH COULD WALK FREE THIS MONT

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

MEXICAN MAFIA KILLER-TURNED SNITCH COULD WALK FREE THIS MONT

Unread post by bumperjack » February 13th, 2015, 4:54 pm

NEWS

Mexican Mafia killer-turned-snitch could walk free this month
Feb. 11, 2015 Updated Feb. 12, 2015 11:13 p.m.
By TONY SAAVEDRA / STAFF WRITER
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
EMAIL
COMMENTS
PRINT
SEND PDF

Mexican Mafia boss Rene “Boxer” Enriquez, 52, could be freed later this month, thanks to his work as an informant. He's currently serving two life sentences.
Related stories

LAPD criticized for event featuring former Mexican mafia leader
Money, cable TV, food delivery: How Mexican Mafia snitches lived like kings behind bars
Here is why an admitted killer walked free
Prosecutor: A peek inside Mexican Mafia
A battle for power hits Mexican Mafia
Feds, local law enforcement target Mexican Mafia
Video: O.C.'s Mexican Mafia: Control of mean streets
Former Mexican Mafia boss Rene “Boxer” Enriquez, who admits he has killed more people than he can remember, could be released from prison by the end of the month because of his work as one of the state’s top jailhouse informants.

Police and prosecutors from throughout California, including a prosecutor in the Orange County District Attorney’s Office and an Anaheim police official, have written letters to the California parole board on behalf of Enriquez.

His value as an informant prompted the parole board in September to grant 52-year-old Enriquez’s release from prison, where he is serving two life sentences. He’s scheduled to go free as soon as Feb. 22 unless Gov. Jerry Brown chooses to block the parole.

As a leader in the Mexican Mafia, no one was more feared than “Boxer” Enriquez, who says he has lost count of the murders and other crimes he’s committed.

Enriquez is in custody at an undisclosed federal lockup where he works translating Mexican Mafia communications intercepted by law enforcement.

Over the past decade, Enriquez says he’s turned his back on his former compatriots in the Mexican Mafia. In recent years, he’s earned money for informant work – $50,000 over five years, and his family has received $1,000 a month, according to grand jury transcripts.

In his August letter to parole officials, Orange County Prosecutor Erik Petersen credits Enriquez as a key witness in “Operation Smoking Aces,” a multiagency raid that in 2013 pulled 48 alleged Mexican Mafia members off the streets.

“Mr. Enriquez has testified numerous times in state court as an expert witness, providing both the court and juries with articulate and precise testimony,” Petersen wrote. “Further, Mr. Enriquez is respectful to defense attorneys even while suffering through personal attacks on the witness stand.”

Not everybody holds Enriquez in such high regard.

“He is the most dangerous guy, the most manipulative and devious guy I’ve ever encountered in 36 years of practice as a defense attorney and prosecutor,” said Tustin attorney Rudy Loewenstein, who twice cross-examined Enriquez during a Mexican Mafia case.

“That guy hasn’t found God, he’s found a livelihood while he is in jail,” Loewenstein said. “He wore a nicer watch than I had.”

Petersen wrote his letter of support for Enriquez without telling his boss, Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas. This week, Rackauckas said he finds no fault with Petersen’s effort to let the parole board know about Enriquez’s work as an informant.

“He (Enriquez) is sticking his neck out to testify against the Mexican Mafia, and we let the parole board weigh that out,” Rackauckas said.

But when asked if Enriquez should walk free, Rackauckas said, “My general opinion is he probably should not.”

An Anaheim police representative also sent a letter on behalf of Enriquez, but the department refused to release it this week, saying it was confidential.

The possibility of Enriquez going free is generating controversy within the judicial system. Prosecutors offer varying opinions on Enriquez; some of his biggest supporters come from law enforcement.

In the forward to his 2002 biography, “The Black Hand,” Enriquez described himself “just a regular Joe, clawing my way out of a dark, evil abyss and back into the grasp of humanity.” Enriquez compares himself to “Superman turning back into Clark Kent.”

He’s earned the gratitude of cops throughout the country as a particularly knowledgeable snitch. He’s also a well-spoken crime consultant, an author and a lecturer via Skype at UC Irvine. He has co-authored a book on street terrorism with former Orange County district attorney’s investigator and UCI professor Al Valdez.

In testimony before an Orange County grand jury and again before a regular jury, Enriquez talked extensively about his life as a gang member, a mafia boss and then a consultant.

His career in street crime began at the age of 12, when he was dragged unwillingly behind a gas station and beaten by an Artesia gang – a ritual that gained him membership in the group.

Like other young gang members, he saw prison as a promotion, a position of respect to be earned.

At 16, he earned his way into juvenile hall by gang raping and sodomizing a 19-year-old woman.

“It actually began as a consensual act and ended something short of that,” Enriquez tried to explain in court testimony last year.

Enriquez testified he did his first hit in 1984 at the request of the Mexican Mafia. Mercy, he said, was not an option.

“When you go to stab somebody, it’s not to scare them; it’s not to beat them up. You’re going to try to kill them,” Enriquez said.

Enriquez’s no-compassion approach showed in an early attack at the Los Angeles County Jail, where he and an accomplice stabbed their target 27 times with homemade shanks in an attorney meeting room. An unarmed guard watched the attack, yelling for Enriquez to stop, according to court transcripts.

As a “made man,” Enriquez said he controlled his home turf outside the prison walls.

Enriquez said the Mexican Mafia, with 40,000 soldiers in the California prison system, grabs a third of all proceeds generated by gang crime in their barrios.

He said he now makes a living as one of “very few” informants for the federal government, translating tens of thousands of letters, wiretaps and other communications intercepted by law enforcement.

“I listen to every word they utter on the phone, every – every nuance of the communications and visits, every letter that they write on a piece of paper,” Enriquez said. “I see the Mexican Mafia from a global aspect. I daresay that I have more knowledge of the Mexican Mafia than any existing member that’s active.”

Testifying in the Smoking Aces case, Enriquez – his hands and feet shackled – said he hopes to one day leave custody.

“Only a fool would say he doesn’t want to get out of prison,” he said.

Contact the w

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: MEXICAN MAFIA KILLER-TURNED SNITCH COULD WALK FREE THIS

Unread post by bumperjack » February 22nd, 2015, 5:58 pm

WELL TODAY(FEBRUARY 22, 2015) CALIFORNIA GOVERNER JERRY BROWN BLOCKS MEXICAN MAFIA KILLER TURNED INFORMANTS PAROLE,I BELIEVE HE MADE THE RIGHT MOVE CONCIDERING HIS CRIMES OF MURDER AND 2 LIFE SENTENCES,TO VINDICATE HIM BECAUSE HE TURNED SNITCH DOES NOT MAKE HIM ELIGIABLE FOR CONSIDERATION FOR RELEASE IN MY EYES OR OTHER CITIZENS YOU DO THE CRIME YOU DO THE TIME:JUST BECAUSE YOU DECIDE TO TURN ON YOUR COMRADES AND SNITCH ON THEM TO GAIN YOUR FREEDOM ISNT JUSTIFICATION TO BE VINDICATED FOR THE MURDERS HE COMITTED IN 1993...HE DESERVES TO BE INCARCERATED. ALL THAT SNITCHING WAS FOR NOTHING.

silentwssj
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by silentwssj » February 22nd, 2015, 9:05 pm

He certainly is generating a lot of buzz! Even my people are talking about him possibly getting released! All I hear from the Northern perspective is that his ass is greelighted like no other. I have to say that he is right up there with Sammy the bull on this one! When people from rival organizations are talking about you being "Verde", wow is all I got to say! He is probably better off left in PC. He has a gigantic target on his back and everyone and anyone in these groups wants to toe tag his ass!

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » February 23rd, 2015, 8:56 am

Yeah Silent, been following his story he definitley has a big target on his Ass and it wont go away.He has had a target on him for sometime: but he is better off in PC agreed for sure.I dont think they or the governer will never allow his release with 2 life sentences.He is as big a Rat as Sammy the Bull for sure.There are other wsys to leave that life without giving up your comrades to try gaining your freedom or financial gain,which in the article it said he and his family has benefited.I personally will never understand there reasoning to turn into something in that life we ALL at one time despised."Rats" He will remained PC'd for the rest of his life.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » February 27th, 2015, 8:16 pm

He was denied. I actually think it is impossible for him to walk free, and here is why. He has 1 conviction for murder, life with parole, which he could theoretically walk away from, but his other murder conviction is LIFE WITHOUT parole. So there is no way he can get out from that case, unless he receives a pardon, or his conviction is overturned.

Also the parole board never informed the family that he was have a parole hearing, which they are supposed to do.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » February 28th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Yes Alonzo,very true,he would have to be pardoned only by the "Governer" That wont ever happen...He was convicted & sentenced to (2) Life sentences he can't get paroled on the (LWOP) "Life Without the Possibilty of Parole" It was "News" but the Reality of him being Released Will never happen...He would most definitely would have to get the murder conviction overturned because pardons are only given for felony to be be erased from your record after you show you transformed your life after many years after your Release from prison...I know a few who have gotten "pardons"in the past only after they served there time in prison and were released.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 12th, 2015, 11:50 am

I am still confused how this made headlines. If you have LWOP, you cannot get out period. Is there an example of any LWOP inmate getting out?

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » June 13th, 2015, 9:44 am

I agree Alonso: about don't know why this made the news other than because of the high profile of who He was? and what He did?...No one in California or any other state has been released with Life without the Possibilty of parole...They don't have automatic appeals like if you have the death penalty...They end up dieing in prison...like what his fate is...he never had a chance to ever be released...truth be told...they only publized this because of His story the rise and fall of a Mexican Mafia Leader...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » October 8th, 2015, 7:10 pm

apparently Rene has Life with Parole on both murders, not life WITHOUT, so technically he can get out, but that's like Charles Manson's sentence. Does any one think Manson will ever be paroled?

alexau
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: alabama

View the latest post

Unread post by alexau » June 10th, 2016, 2:10 pm

just curious. are they respected by the so.cal bangers, or are they cannon fodder, aka torpedos. can they ever get rank with the sur?

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: MEXICAN MAFIA KILLER-TURNED SNITCH COULD WALK FREE THIS MONT

Unread post by bumperjack » June 13th, 2016, 4:13 am

Dont understand your question? are they respected So cal, south siders, or surenos???

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » June 13th, 2016, 4:16 am

That question doesn't pertain to this board so.ca banger and surenos are beneath the eme. Torpedos?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » June 28th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Since he cooperated so much with the CDC and the FEDS at some point they have to grant him with a gift of release from prison.

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » October 10th, 2016, 3:59 pm

That could happen, but I see him getting hit if it does.

SADBOY508
What city do you live in now?: ojai

Unread post by SADBOY508 » November 23rd, 2016, 4:12 pm

where would he get hit bumperjack ? wouldnt he be in witness protection ?

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by bumperjack » December 7th, 2016, 12:45 am

@Sadboy,Well it would be hard for him to get hit in the witness protection program but he is high on there list if he ever slips up bet that.