child molestation conspiracy by inmates

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

child molestation conspiracy by inmates

Unread post by Invincible » November 12th, 2006, 5:00 am

I was looking for a name I found in an article about an ab member which included the name of another inmate in this quote:
"Defendant was in San Quentin Prison in May 1978. Defendant came to the cell of fellow inmate Ricky Carpenter. He told Carpenter he was going to kill Leroy Banks, an African-American inmate, because Banks had been disrespectful to an AB member. Carpenter pointed out Banks. Defendant stabbed Banks 10 to 15 times in the chest. Banks died of his wounds."
http://online.ceb.com/calcases/C4/1C4t324.htm

I looked up the name Ricky Carpenter on yahoo and found this article regarding some child molester he was friends with or something (does that mean ab and prisoner sin general tolerate child molesters?):
http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/sept96tovar.htm

"At Muskegon, on April 20, 1994, a 3-year-old girl was molested in a visitation room by inmate Lloyd Higdon, a convicted child killer, while guards looked on, knowing for over a month that Higdon had planned the crime. Ultimately, for the sake of what amounted to a sting operation, a little girl suffered what may be irreparable harm.

Lloyd Higdon was serving a term of Natural Life for the 1967 rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl and a consecutive sentence of 20-30 years as a habitual offender for molesting a small child at Jackson's Cotton Facility in 1989 when this event took place. In March, 1994, Higdon wrote a letter to a fellow inmate at Muskegon, Ricky Carpenter, outlining his plan to gain access to a child in a visitation room. His girlfriend, Yvonne McDowell, would have a friend, Sue Korkoskie, and her daughter, Jessica, accompany her on a visit in April. McDowell had been his accomplice in the incident at Jackson in 1989, but had not been imprisoned for her part in that crime. Higdon wanted Carpenter to aid Yvonne in distracting both prison staff and Ms. Korkoskie while he approached Jessica, whom he referred to as "the target." He named each person in his plan by first initial.

Carpenter presented Higdon's letter to Sgt. Hamilton on April 3, 1994, a couple of weeks before the crime was to take place. The letter was then shown to Wardens Makel and Bradford, who instructed Sgt. Hamilton to give it to Inspector Moscarro the next day. The letter passed up the facility's chain to the highest in command, and back down again. Oddly, all staff who read and discussed it claim they did not read Higdon's file to corroborate Ricky Carpenter's story. On April 6, 1994, Inspector Moscarro confronted Higdon with a warning that he knew what Higdon was planning, but did not mention the letter or Carpenter's story.

On April 7, Deputy Warden Bradford issued a cryptic memorandum calling on staff to "monitor Higdon's behavior." Higdon would still be allowed to receive visitors, but a "flag" was placed on his visitation card. Visitation room staff, mostly trainees, were not briefed about the "flag" on Higdon's card. Those present at a meeting before the incident took place were instructed only that Higdon should be "watched more carefully."

On April 20, 1994, Yvonne McDowell arrived at Muskegon with Sue Korkoskie and her daughter to visit Ricky Carpenter. Higdon accompanied Carpenter to the visitation room. The desk officer noticed the "flag" on Higdon's card, and called the control center for more details on his record. The officers at the control center told the desk officer that they would contact Sgt. Hamilton, but failed to do so. At the same time, Sgt. Hamilton, standing in a yard adjacent to the visitation room, saw Higdon, Carpenter, and their visitors come outside. Carpenter gave Hamilton "a prearranged signal that something could take place."

Later, when the group returned to the visitation room, Sgt. Hamilton took a position in the control center to monitor Higdon by two-way mirror. Sue Korkoskie was talking with Ricky Carpenter and Yvonne McDowell when Higdon began to walk with Jessica to a vending machine out of sight of the mirrors.

At this point, Sgt. Ketchum, witnessing Higdon's actions from the control center, tried unsuccessfully to contact the warden and have the visit stopped. Another guard, Officer Elder, heard Sgt. Hamilton say to other staff over the radio, "Don't come in yet, it hasn't gone down." Only when Hamilton saw Higdon place his hand fully under Jessica's clothing and Jessica begin to resist him by kicking and flailing her arms did he stop the visit. Higdon was later charged with Conspiracy to Commit Criminal Sexual Conduct in the 2nd Degree, again as a habitual offender. Yvonne McDowell faces up to life in prison for her part in the molestation on April 20, 1994.

Muskegon County Prosecutor Tony Tague later writes in a press release about the incident that, "the tools [procedures and regulations] to manage this situation were available. They were just not utilized." He first condemns the lack of investigatory work by Inspector Moscarro and other top prison staff after Ricky Carpenter's tip. He then stresses the fact that no one confronted Higdon with the letter, and that while a memo about it circulated internally among top staff, no indication other than a vague warning was given to guards at the main desk in the visitation room, most of whom were trainees at the time.

In the outside world, law enforcement officers may act ahead of time to prevent the commission of a crime based on a strong perception that it is about to take place. Prison officials in the Michigan system have a very similar power and responsibility to act, based on probable cause. Officials at Muskegon neglected this right and duty. By state law, they could have prevented the incident by assigning Higdon to administrative segregation and then conducting a hearing.

Tague reports that when later asked by investigators what kind of potential incident would be grounds for canceling a meeting, for example, what weight would Muskegon staff place on a planned stabbing, Warden Makel replied, "We'd watch."

When investigators asked Makel whether he'd wait for the stabbing to occur before he intervened, he said, "Well, I certainly couldn't shut down the visiting room." Warden Makel reasoned that such action would prompt grievances and lawsuits on the part of other inmates' visitors.

Tague concludes that the MDOC officials did not act in time to stop Higdon's actions because of a mistaken sense that the Department's regulations tied their hands, and that preventive action would result in a legal backlash from inmates and others having nothing to do with Higdon's plot.

Tague's perspective on the way Muskegon staff handled the incident is that it "revealed a clear attitude among Department of Corrections officials that the perceived rights and privileges of convicted felons take priority over the safeguarding of the public." However, in his report he lists many "disturbing questions left unanswered," among them:

•Why weren't steps taken to protect an innocent child when DOC administrators had detailed evidence that a child was going to be molested behind prison walls in their facility?

•Why wasn't the detailed evidence of a conspiracy to commit a sexual assault turned over to the Michigan State Police for investigation and subsequent prosecution?

•Why would top administrative officials send a memo to corrections officers instruction [sic] them to only observe but not take preventive measures?

•Why would officials from DOC sit and watch while a child was molested and not take steps to prevent it?"

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » November 13th, 2006, 2:05 pm

actually nm, after re reading it I found out that the guy carpenter was actually the one who warned the guards he was planning on molesting some kid, what struck me as odd though is why owuld this guy associate hinmself with that molester who wrot ehim a letter?

GTS
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by GTS » November 13th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Invincible wrote:actually nm, after re reading it I found out that the guy carpenter was actually the one who warned the guards he was planning on molesting some kid, what struck me as odd though is why owuld this guy associate hinmself with that molester who wrot ehim a letter?
What struck me as odd is why you search for child molesters online?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » November 13th, 2006, 11:30 pm

I didnt, I searched a name in the first article I linked to that was mentione din connection to an ab guy (carpenter or something) and that story came up.

monsta6060
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: rsc

Re: child molestation conspiracy by inmates

Unread post by monsta6060 » January 26th, 2009, 8:27 pm

the ab should kill them both