what happens to upstate (CA) surenos in the pen?

There are many that believe California's Prison Rehabilitation System and other systems around the world have more sinister purpose outside of incarceration. Discuss prison topics here in California, throughout the United States and Internationally.
dcflatz
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

what happens to upstate (CA) surenos in the pen?

Unread post by dcflatz » June 10th, 2009, 5:18 pm

just curious. are they respected by the so.cal bangers, or are they cannon fodder, aka torpedos. can they ever get rank with the sur?

Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: LA

Re: what happens to upstate (CA) surenos in the pen?

Unread post by 282828 » June 20th, 2009, 10:50 am

people snicker behind their back. probably depends on who you are, personally i dont really fuck with em cause i dont understand how theyre surenos?

but some get respect, i think there used to be and still might be some big homies from frisco. and i think theres some other big homies from up north.

brownpridesac
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: afghanistan

Unread post by brownpridesac » August 21st, 2010, 3:35 pm

they have their own cars in the pen so nobody fucks with them

Culver661
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Bakersfield

Unread post by Culver661 » December 27th, 2013, 1:07 am

They Run With The Homies Thats What Happens

bumperjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Hawaii
What city do you live in now?: Honalulu

Unread post by bumperjack » March 10th, 2014, 1:36 pm

It doesnt matter were there at the surenos will stick together,there everywhere up state and also in Nevada they have a huge car in High Desert Indian Springs,NV. What alot of these netbangers dont know shit about politics if you havent been on any yards the politics are different from state to state,You have to remember one thing if u can handle your business on your own your a real vato,or wood if you cant stand on your own and stand alone and are able to handle ur own business the prison gangs will not stand behind you let me inform some of u surenos who never been to californias penal system eme are not surenos and surenos are not eme they are associated as yes they are there lil homies but they do not play that north south shit the prison gangs are on a whole nother level they play for keeps and it doesnt matter where in california your from,south north central cali there ate big homies all over California weakness is something real soldiers dont show there are alot of street gang members have never been to prison or dont know nada it tells in there comments I been around and Iam A White Big Homie so I know what the fuck Iam Talking about,Ive been around almost 30 years in prison system my first time I started running withe brand was 28 years ago in DVI tracy were the EME was founded in 1957 by mundo and peg leg morgan well I will be signing off wih mucho respecto to the AB/EME Bumperjack

MMRbkaRudog
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by MMRbkaRudog » February 8th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Besides what was mentioned, some have rode paisa/bb.

silentwssj
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: SJ

Unread post by silentwssj » February 9th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Nothing happens to them. They just fall in line with the rest of the Sureno Car in prison! When they are in county jail they go to PC though. This is because Northern County jails are run by Nortenos who are the majority! I know they must go through some weird mental shit though. They are really from up north. Can you imagine all the BS there new penitentiary Homies must feed them. If you are from San Jo for example, they would be saying all kinds of bad stuff about SJ and the Bay Area in general! In my experience very few true Southsiders from LA actually move up North and bang. They are mostly Paisa's with a sprinkiling of Northern Chicanos that grew up in a Southern neighborhood! I know from personal experience that they are targets. Most Northerners take a special interest in them being that they are really from up North. They want to know why they choose to be Southerners and not Northerners! Also, from a Norteno perspective if you are an upstate Sureno, you are our main enemy! If we have a chance, we will hit you first because you are a nuisance to our hometown street activity! A Sureno from LA is our enemy as well but we dont sweat them out on the streets! Our main priority is always to clean up our own backyard first! Here is a good article about it from San Jose!

As the North and South Chicano/Latino gang conflict has spread throughout the country and even world wide, many street and prison gang landscapes have changed as a result. One of the most dramatic shifts could be found in Northern California. It’s more then just a battle over turf and power but an internal issue of struggling with self identity.

California is the birthplace of the North and South gang identity that led to the regional division of the state. This all stems from a long standing prison gang rivalry dating back over three decades ago. Now, as Norteños and Sureños can be found in parts of the U.S. like Utah, Florida, and North Carolina, it's obvious that the identity is adapting.

But here in California it’s a bit more complicated as Sureños can also be found in Northern California, ground zero of their ideological enemy. Being the oxy moron of a “Northern, Sureño” is where the major gang battle begins, dealing with their own side and themselves.

Recently this contingent of gangsters has redefined themselves as “Upstate Sureños” they feel that they are on the front lines and are responsible for taking over the Northern California street gang territory. There numbers are growing mainly due to immigration, migration and the media.

In San Jose, Ca. for example, the Sureño identity and population really started growing back in the mid 1990’s because of a flux in migration to the area. Many of these gangsters were recently arrived immigrants from various parts of Mexico who adapted to the street life for protection. This generation held allegiance to their original place of birth not their new home. This created the distinctive difference and stereotype that Norteños are American born English speakers and Sureños are immigrant born Spanish speakers. (Chicano vs. Mexicano)

This also put tarnish on their image and perception from other gangs and crews. Rival gang members perceived them as wannabe's for not being versed in the California street gang culture. And the Sureños they held their allegiance to, did not except them because they weren’t “Chicanos” but considered “Border Brothers” based in the north. They too viewed them as not real gangsters: "plastic toy soldiers." Only few self proclaimed Sureño street gangs in the north had ties to L.A. or the Mexican Mafia.

But things have changed over the past 18 years, a good amount of the "Upstate Sureños" are now culturally born and raised here in the United States and are representing their northern city. There numbers have grown on the streets and slowly in correctional facilities making them a force to be reckoned with and a contingent of new soldiers that can not be ignored.

They are now currently accepted by their Southern California counterparts, and authorities suspect this is a prison power play. As a result “Upstaters” are now more connected then ever before. San Jose Police report that they are coming into contact with L.A based gang members on the streets and there has also been a spike in gang crimes on behalf of the “Upstate Sureños”.

The pressure is on to establish themselves. Although they may be accepted they are still not seen as equal to a quote “Real Sureño”, in state prisons they are often used for dirty work (Life threatening or demeaning duties) and constantly put in positions to prove themselves worthy of being labeled a “South Sider”.

Equality does not come easy for the “Upstaters” because of one simple fact, like it or not they are technically a “Norteño” in the eyes of a lot of Southern California gangsters who have been born and bred biased towards anyone from the opposite side of the state.
There is an internal struggle that goes on as well because of this. A self identified “Upstate Sureño” who wants to remain nameless, shared with me a personal experience he had while incarcerated at a state facility. While kicking it with a mix of homies from throughout Los Angeles County, conversation hit the topic of clowning on Northern California cites “Fools from up North are punks, F#%k San Jo”. Although the comments may have been directed at rivals, they were general statements. This struck a chord, twisting his own self identity. “What? I’m from Northern Califás” making him angry and wanting to stand up for his city. But because of the social dynamic he was in, he was forced to keep his mouth shut.

I have also witnessed this struggle with at risk youth at the junior high school level. While facilitating groups I presented San Jose history to instill pride, from César Chávez to the Lowrider culture of the 1970’s. The youngsters ate it up except for the self identified Sureño kids. They were skeptical of the facts and were in disbelief almost not wanting to accept it. It was a reaction I didn’t plan for, but it makes sense. These kids are already being affected by the bias Sureño belief system. (The thought that the north is nothing and everything revolves around the south). They wanted to be proud but felt guilty for it at the same time.

Culturally belonging to the south can be easy by embracing the superficial clothing style and image. But when it comes to holding an idealism that conflicts with your regional identity that’s when it can get difficult. Representing your northern town and yet showing hatred for the same region you are from. There is an identity issues that most will not admit or even realize.

In the neighborhoods it’s under the guise, “We are taking over” that resonates and makes this identity possible. Most “Upstaters” will not even be aware of the inequality found on their own side until they hit the state penitentiary. And many who have experienced it are not sharing this with their homies on the street.
At this point what will become of the “Upstate Sureño” movement is unclear, for it’s still relatively young and growing. One thing for certain is, on the streets of Northern California the violence will continue to rise as they become both victim and perpetrator. But internally are they ready to except that equality may never come from the southern region that they represent or will this eventually lead them to a separation of gang ties and possibly their Sureño identity.

VictoriousHTZ
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Lazy Angeles

Unread post by VictoriousHTZ » February 11th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Good article Silent.

For the gangs that set up shop in other cities they probably can relate someway shape or form. But Upstate Surenos are taking it from their own side. In due time though, Upstate Surenos will be a power house. They will have their time. It happens with every hood thats really a hood.