Southland

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Southland

Unread post by MCD » April 28th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I'm surprised no one has brought this show up. It's on TNT and is going into it's 4th season. I hardly watch TV and I don't even touch the sitcoms or dramas but of course I checked this one out. It's got a fresh kind of vibe to it, I like how they go through the whole PD to show how they operate. Has alot of cameos I saw some guys from Charlie Row Campo in the last season. There's just 1 or 2 weak actors. I was curious what everyone thinks about the show especially you LA cats.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Re: Southland

Unread post by StillNoScript » May 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm

I gave it a try. Kind of different to see real Los Angeles gang members playing Los Angeles gang members. But like most cops shows today, it uses that tired old formula, "Ok, cops are bad, but let's face it, these gang members are a lot worse!". If t.v. is still going to work as a propaganda arm for law enforcement, they might as well go back to the good ol days when the cops were just the flat out good guys, the criminals were bad, and the innocents were all meek, naive, yet beautiful! They think they're fooling us with this 'cops bad, gang members even worse' formula. It's transparent from beginning to end. It's just bad t.v. Either use the 'everyone's f'd up and there's no hope' formula, like The Sopranos, or just go ol school and make the police heroes. I just want to see a good t.v. show again. Unfortunately, Southland isn't it.

MCD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: East Side Sacra

Unread post by MCD » May 25th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Yeah i see what you're saying. I didnt have high expectations going into the show but the biggest reason I watched was because I knew some of the rappers that did cameo's or were regular characters. They've had the guys from Charlie Row campo on there, baby jokes was in a few until he got killed in the last episode.

stoked18
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Vermont
What city do you live in now?: Roanoke FROM SD

Unread post by stoked18 » July 17th, 2011, 10:01 am

I'm surprised this show wasn't a huge hit. They used actual gang names and everything