AMerican history x vs American Me

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

AMerican history x vs American Me

Unread post by Invincible » April 22nd, 2005, 1:26 am

which was the betetr jail flick? WHich was more realsitic? The thing about American history x I didnt really get was the reason the main character was against the drug trade with the Mexicans? I thought that one white guy who did the dealing looked pretty vicious and dangerous so i didnt see any reason he would do it (plus he has all those white homies) unless it was just business and he wanted to make some dough plus get high (alot of inmates get high because of boredom or depression). I dont think he did it because he was scared of fighting Mexicans or anything. As for American Me it was good but had some weird plots in it as well.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: AMerican history x vs American Me

Unread post by NW10 » April 22nd, 2005, 1:44 am

He was against the white dealing with mexicans because he didnt believe whites should interact civilly with another race. He was completely warped at that part of the movie. Cameron had brainwashed him to hate every ethnic group no matter what, and his father had given him a starting point for this too.

I have American Me but i aint watched it all yet,but , from what i see i think American History X is the better movie, its unique and powerful. If you threw in 'Blood In, Blood Out' i would have said that as opposed to AHX

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » April 22nd, 2005, 1:41 pm

American Me is alot better, American History X is not really a prison movie most of the movie is spent outside.

American Me is alot more realistic and gritty.

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » April 22nd, 2005, 2:10 pm

how can you even compare the two

American Me

lil puppet :(

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » April 22nd, 2005, 3:49 pm

I saw American History X for the first time last night, Right before I was about to Light one up and hit the sack, It was like 12:00 12:30 and I was Hella Tired, but I saw the movie on 'ITV' All the hommies tell me it was a deep movie, So I stayed up and watched the movie. And Cot Damn that movie was deep. Though I didn't appreciate seein another Brotha gettin his Face Curbed in, All in All the movie has a good message no Doubt The Irony at the end was deep, I could see the Correlation with the begining.

They did some fucced up shyt througout the movie though... evil shyt indeed.
Does Anyone know what Gang they are supposed to represent, Aryon Brotherhood?

Whatever the dudes name is, He was politically inclined, Yea the one that gets Buttfucked, Very smart cat. Deep movie, very good non-the-less.
I give it an 8/10 Easy.

WhiteBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WhiteBoy » April 22nd, 2005, 4:07 pm

i liked in ahx how the white kid at the end got blasted, it proved a good point about perpetual hatred.

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » April 23rd, 2005, 4:06 am

Blakk ^^ i think the gang in the movie called themselves D.O.C., not sure what it stood for though.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » April 23rd, 2005, 4:07 am

Was it because the other white criminals in prison in that aryan gang (was it ab?) werent politically motivated like he was but criminally? Is that why he and they became enemies? Cause he didnt want whites to sell drungs to other whites like his fellow gang members were doing just for profit?

another thing that didint make sense about am hist x was how the main guy was really tough and ruthless killing gang members and such and why he became such a pussy in prison almost from the biggening. I mean those aryans raped him and he didnt even fight back or try to stab oen of them later.

DeaD-SouL
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DeaD-SouL » April 23rd, 2005, 4:17 pm

Invincible wrote:
another thing that didint make sense about am hist x was how the main guy was really tough and ruthless killing gang members and such and why he became such a pussy in prison almost from the biggening. I mean those aryans raped him and he didnt even fight back or try to stab oen of them later.
I think its because he was all alone in there and didn't had any protection

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » April 23rd, 2005, 4:28 pm

yeah, derek was politically motivated. Everything Cameron had told him he ate up. When he got to prison though that didnt mean shit. He wasnt so much of a pussy straight away. If he was a pussy he would not have dissed the whites like he did which risked his ass (no pun intended).

When he saw the white dealing to the Mexicans he must have realised how much BS he had been fed by Cam cos no-one thought the same way he did about the ethnic minorities. He realises the full extent of this when he has been raped. Thats when he is a 'pussy', by keeping his head down and reading.

NoPeace
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NoPeace » April 24th, 2005, 4:11 am

i think D.O.C stands for Disciples of Christ

also, derek's refered to as a peckerwood alot, so my guess is he isnt AB. His homie the fat dude is strapped in the movie, so they're probably something like the NLR

Oaktown
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Oaktown » April 24th, 2005, 11:15 am

I ain't watched American Me yet cause i'm still waitin' on stores to get more copies in, but i have seen American History X.... n shiit, that movie is deep.

Personally i dun reckon y'all should call Derek a pussy for what happened when he did his time in the pen. He was fed his gospel from that Cameron guy and from the looks of shiit he was down for his clique. Gang bangin' ain't no part time thing and it looked like Derek was the only one who took it seriously.

Was a good ending though, showing his brother Danny fkd up by the homie... deep but good.

Y'all reckon it needed a little more action though? Or was it more like 'Redemption' where more action would've changed it's affect?

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 27th, 2005, 1:06 am

Oaktown wrote:I ain't watched American Me yet cause i'm still waitin' on stores to get more copies in
I rented it at a BlockBuster in Sacramento a month ago. The DVD also included the documentary, "Lives In Hazard", which is eery; It shows footage of the woman that was later killed by EME because of the movie.

So, anyhow, try the rental stores, if you just want to see the movie.

I haven't seen American History X yet, but I'm looking to soon. Edward Norton is a great actor.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » April 27th, 2005, 10:18 pm

This movie shows that political shit goes nowhere in prison, the AB and NLR maybe a white gang but that doesnt mean they do not associate with other races like hispanics for business and what not. Derek was a smart guy who was brainwashed by his father early in his life, his hate became stronger when his father was killed putting out a fire in a drug then.
The message is clear that Hate Breeds Hate and that it never ends until we learn to let go of hate and live together peacfully, his hate caused his brothers death, now his hate ends with his brother death. Very moving flick, I give it a 9/10.

DC

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » April 30th, 2005, 4:05 pm

yea but if you think about it that black kid that killed him probably had alot of hate as well. Cripps and bloods probably have as much hate toward Deriks skins and vice versa.