Colors (1988)

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Colors, 1988

Unread post by alexalonso » January 17th, 2004, 3:50 pm

Don Cheadle had a small part in this classic. The movie actually showed a rivalry between the Black gangs and the Surenos before it was a big issue in Los Angeles.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by wcrockets » January 18th, 2004, 3:07 am

Geesh that movie seems like a hundred years ago. Lol.. I remember seeing the Guardian Angel's from New York City protesting Colors when it first ran.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » January 19th, 2004, 8:04 am

haha Colors god damn, thats an old movie. Ma OGz hit them S A's up cuhs they was in our hood. They was like, "WE DONT BANG, WE ACTORS" haha. You kno when those S A's was walking up that alley, and you see Down Town LA in the back round, rite before when they was about to shoot up that house..that area is our turf rite there.

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » January 21st, 2004, 4:03 pm

NikexCortez wrote:haha Colors god damn, thats an old movie. Ma OGz hit them S A's up cuhs they was in our hood. They was like, "WE DONT BANG, WE ACTORS" haha. You kno when those S A's was walking up that alley, and you see Down Town LA in the back round, rite before when they was about to shoot up that house..that area is our turf rite there.
What Turf is this?

Sheeklouchdblock
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Sheeklouchdblock » January 24th, 2004, 2:04 pm

The movie Was cool, But they play it tooo Many times on TV/Cable........The Spanish Guy "Frog" who was in the 21st gang in Colors Died 2 years later after the movie was done.......

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » February 4th, 2004, 12:58 pm

GIBBY wrote:
NikexCortez wrote:haha Colors god damn, thats an old movie. Ma OGz hit them S A's up cuhs they was in our hood. They was like, "WE DONT BANG, WE ACTORS" haha. You kno when those S A's was walking up that alley, and you see Down Town LA in the back round, rite before when they was about to shoot up that house..that area is our turf rite there.
What Turf is this?
Oriental Lazy Boyz Turf.

BIG DUSTY LOCO
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BIG DUSTY LOCO » February 7th, 2004, 1:12 am

LOL...olb turf? You guys have one?

That film did show todays current beef, but back then it was kind of non-existent...more of a joke I guess. I don't remember everyone beefing like that until the 90's.

They filmed up in the Belmont Tunnels, and they were all around RSL hood filming the fictional 21st hood. Rumor was Frog(RIP) was a real veterano from FTR. Gerardo was in that movie as one of his peewees, and supposedly he had banged in La Puente/West Covina areas. As for the crips, it was funny seeing Damon Wayans play a crip, Don Cheadle was Rockit, and Leon played a crip. Glenn Plummer played a blood.

BIG RUSTY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BIG RUSTY » February 7th, 2004, 5:16 am

Anybody remember the dude that was in the jail scene with Damon wayans. The scene where he's in jail(damon) tellin war stories,then he tells this dude on the top bunk to go and get him a girlie magazine.Anyways i think dude is a actor from the 70's,and i think he was in this movie called JOHNNY TUFF, in it the movie he play's this young thief/thug.The movie was made around the time that the movie "JD's REVENGE" was made.(i think).If anybody know ther movie im talking about let me know.I wouldnt mind finding it to see if it was good as i remember it to be(as a 9yo kid).

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » February 7th, 2004, 10:07 am

Mario van peebles from New Jack City? He was the one talkin about blastin his enemies...

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » February 7th, 2004, 4:32 pm

NikexCortez wrote:
GIBBY wrote:
What Turf is this?
Oriental Lazy Boyz Turf.
You telling me your homies walked into a movie set with a million cops around and hit up some actors??? LOL Yeah Right... Save them stories for your pwees. I was around when Colors was filmed in Boyle Heights and they featured WF in the Hole. Most of the guys who portrayed WF were actors. All they streets were blocked off, and Cops were everywhere So I know whoever told that story has a lying problem LOL Plus Killer from EG played one of the guys from 21st and if your homies hit him up he wouldhave claimed EG LOL

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » February 7th, 2004, 4:34 pm

BIG DUSTY LOCO wrote:LOL...olb turf? You guys have one?

That film did show todays current beef, but back then it was kind of non-existent...more of a joke I guess. I don't remember everyone beefing like that until the 90's.

They filmed up in the Belmont Tunnels, and they were all around RSL hood filming the fictional 21st hood. Rumor was Frog(RIP) was a real veterano from FTR. Gerardo was in that movie as one of his peewees, and supposedly he had banged in La Puente/West Covina areas. As for the crips, it was funny seeing Damon Wayans play a crip, Don Cheadle was Rockit, and Leon played a crip. Glenn Plummer played a blood.
Pumpkin from WF was in the scene were there playing cards in the county and Killer from EG played one of the guys from 21st too

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » February 7th, 2004, 9:26 pm

Big Dusty Loco, our turf reaches from Dodger stadium to China Town.

Gibby, all i kno is that the homies were kicking it in the alley and they saw the actors(thought they were gang bangers)and hit them up. I dont kno if the actors were on break and heading to China Town to get sumthing to eat or not, but i aint lying and the older homies aint lying and thats for sure.

BIG RUSTY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by BIG RUSTY » February 8th, 2004, 5:58 am

jb7777 wrote:Mario van peebles from New Jack City? He was the one talkin about blastin his enemies...
Nope that ain't mario.

Light_skin_boy
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Light_skin_boy » February 8th, 2004, 4:40 pm

Sheeklouchdblock wrote:The movie Was cool, But they play it tooo Many times on TV/Cable........The Spanish Guy "Frog" who was in the 21st gang in Colors Died 2 years later after the movie was done.......

how did he die?

lb516
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by lb516 » February 8th, 2004, 7:46 pm

car accident in whitter. ca

GIBBY
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GIBBY » February 10th, 2004, 3:53 pm

NikexCortez wrote:Big Dusty Loco, our turf reaches from Dodger stadium to China Town.

Gibby, all i kno is that the homies were kicking it in the alley and they saw the actors(thought they were gang bangers)and hit them up. I dont kno if the actors were on break and heading to China Town to get sumthing to eat or not, but i aint lying and the older homies aint lying and thats for sure.
Yeah OK :?

indyjrt
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by indyjrt » February 10th, 2004, 4:06 pm

FYI- The scenes in the police station were shot at Carson Sheriff's station.

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » March 22nd, 2004, 11:06 am

Why is everybody "Hating" on colors..........When that movie first came out everybody jocked it and still i like it til today. It shows how shit was crackin back in the days. All this gossip about gangstas hitting up actors is far out. If any gangstas hit up any actors it was all an illusion................

"My favorite scene in COLORS" is when the crips shoot up the bloods at the church and the L.A.P.D started chasing the crips and the crips shoot up the cops, crash & die.......... If thats not action in a gang movie; then what is??????????????? ~DreamerGirl~

Monkeywrench
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Monkeywrench » March 22nd, 2004, 12:25 pm

DreamerGirl wrote: All this gossip about gangstas hitting up actors is far out. If any gangstas hit up any actors it was all an illusion.......
And how you know this? Where you there or something?

areyouvi3t
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by areyouvi3t » March 30th, 2004, 6:47 pm

DreamerGirl wrote:All this gossip about gangstas hitting up actors is far out. If any gangstas hit up any actors it was all an illusion...............
whatever.................how about when Haing S. Ngor(killing fields, heaven and earth) got robbed and killed, who you think done that? a biker?

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » April 3rd, 2004, 1:38 am

areyouvi3t wrote:
DreamerGirl wrote:All this gossip about gangstas hitting up actors is far out. If any gangstas hit up any actors it was all an illusion...............
whatever.................how about when Haing S. Ngor(killing fields, heaven and earth) got robbed and killed, who you think done that? a biker?
Here i found an article on streetgangs about the murder

http://www.streetgangs.com/topics/1999/070499asian.html

"Haing Ngor trial: Three gang members convicted

The Associated PressJuly 4, 1999

LOS ANGELES -- In an extraordinary case involving three juries in one courtroom, three gang members were convicted Thursday of murdering Haing Ngor, the Oscar-winning actor who survived the killing fields of Cambodia only to die on the streets of Los Angeles.

Tak Sun Tan, Jason Chan and Indra Lim were found guilty in the 1996 slaying.

None of the juries determined who actually did the shooting, but they ruled that one of the men had a gun the night the "Killing Fields" star was shot to death in a holdup in an alley behind his Chinatown-area apartment.

Chan, 20, faces up to life in prison without parole; Tan, 21, and Lim, 20, each face 25 years to life.

Ngor, a doctor who escaped from Cambodia in 1980, won an Academy Award for the 1984 movie "The Killing Fields," in which he portrayed Dith Pran, the Cambodian assistant to a New York Times reporter. Ngor drew on his firsthand experience as a victim of torture under Cambodia's Khmer Rouge and its leader, Pol Pot. Pol Pot died of heart failure Wednesday.

Separate juries were chosen because one defendant made statements implicating the others. During the seven-week trial, all three juries were in court together at times. But more often, just one jury was present.

The jury hearing Tan's case deliberated the longest, two weeks.

Copyright 1999"

Those are the older homies from my hood convicted of the murder. They from Oriental Lazy Boyz. Other news articles would mention where they from like if u was to type in "Oriental Lazy Boyz" in yahoo, or http://www.thehistorychannel.com they would mention the hood. Well back to this subject. The thing is, the homies that were convicted of the murder didnt even do it. Haing Ngor made alot of enimies when he was starred in that movie, "The Killing Fields".

Heres another article thats talking about his murder

http://cgi.canoe.ca/JamMoviesArtistsN/ngor.html

Wednesday, May 15, 1996

Legal battle begins over estate of murdered Oscar winner
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Relatives of murdered Oscar-winner Dr. Haing S. Ngor are battling each other over his $136,000 Cdn estate.
On one side is his niece, Sophia Ngor, 26, whom he rescued from Khmer Rouge rebels in Cambodia.
Sophia, who sobbed uncontrollably at Ngor's funeral in March, wants legal recognition as Ngor's adopted daughter. That would make her sole heir to the dead man's estate, much of which lies in his native Cambodia and is valued at more than $136,800.
On the other side is Ngor's brother, Chan Sarun, a director of forestry in Cambodia's Ministry of Agriculture who says he, under Cambodian law, has been made executor of Ngor's holdings there.
Ngor, who won an Oscar in 1984 for his supporting role in The Killing Foelds, never made a will.
Ngos was shot to demth Feb. 25 in te carport of his rundown Chinatown apartment. Tyough he spent mst of his time

areyouvi3t
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by areyouvi3t » April 3rd, 2004, 3:19 pm

i heard about that from the homies from l.a. that be kickin it with us back in the day.

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » April 3rd, 2004, 3:29 pm

^^yup, the homies was framed. eh homie, holla at me! my aim sn: NikexCortez

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 4th, 2004, 12:07 pm

NikexCortez & areyouvi3t; My statement was made towards the movie "Colors" and not about the slaying of Dr.Haing S. Ngor! But about what happen to Dr.Haing S. Ngor might have been a Chinese Mafia hit!~DreamerGirl~

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » April 4th, 2004, 12:18 pm

DreamerGirl, how would u kno if the homies hit them up or not? Was u there? The area where they filmed that scene was on our turf. That is where we live. So u saying that its impossible that it couldnt happen? Maybe they was on break and decided to take a walk? I dont kno. But all i kno the homies hit them up. And my homies arent the types that are to lie to get fame. These guys are loyal and always tells us the truth even if its humiliating and makes themselves look bad. We are a hood based on trust and plenty of love towards another. And about the the murder of Dr.Haing Ngor being a Chinese Mafia hit, im not sure baout that. But maybe it could happen because when he got famouse, he made alot of enimies. And many asian races look down on Cambodians. Aiite peace.

areyouvi3t
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by areyouvi3t » April 4th, 2004, 6:03 pm

NikexCortez wrote:^^yup, the homies was framed. eh homie, holla at me! my aim sn: NikexCortez
everytime i get on, you aint homey

DreamerGirl
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DreamerGirl » April 4th, 2004, 7:01 pm

Alright NikexCortez even if those vatos did hit up them actors, Now there down or something for doing something stupid? I mean come on now "Actors"! If they was so crazy they might have pulled a "Bank Heist" like them crazy "White Boyz" did, like in the movie "Swat".....................
~DreamerGirl~

NikexCortez

Unread post by NikexCortez » April 5th, 2004, 3:37 pm

Dreamer Girl, i talked about how my OGs hit up the actors thinking they were gang bangers. REAL GANG BANGERS. Not how crazy they are.

areyouvi3t
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by areyouvi3t » April 5th, 2004, 4:10 pm

DreamerGirl wrote:Alright NikexCortez even if those vatos did hit up them actors, Now there down or something for doing something stupid? I mean come on now "Actors"! If they was so crazy they might have pulled a "Bank Heist" like them crazy "White Boyz" did, like in the movie "Swat".....................
~DreamerGirl~
dreamergirl is in a dream

rumble2005
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rumble2005 » April 19th, 2004, 9:19 pm

Colors one of the best gangster movies of all time if not the best. This one is right up there with all my favorites. They need a sequel to this movie. Sean Penn and Robert Duvall were very good in this. Their performance was brilliant.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » April 19th, 2004, 9:48 pm

rumble2005 wrote:Colors one of the best gangster movies of all time if not the best. This one is right up there with all my favorites. They need a sequel to this movie. Sean Penn and Robert Duvall were very good in this. Their performance was brilliant.
The sad thing is when I said I liked Blood in Blood Out, I got screamed on and one or two others co-signed, WELL COLORS WAS EVEN MORE FAKE!

Just goes to show you how much orginiality layes around here, and whom feels the need for purity pertaining to the lifestyle they alledgedly live. They seemingly feel the need for reality and can't accept the style as entertaining. Colors was a classic.

PEACE!

Panik
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Panik » April 19th, 2004, 9:56 pm

Hell Kevemac. I'm with you. Blood in Blood out was a pretty tight movie. I think it was more "entertaining" than American Me. Everyone was mad that they didn't use real hood names and shi-. But everyone seems to like South Central, and I thought that was an OK movie at best. And "duece here" LOL. That shi- had me dyin. Some movies are made for pure entertainment, some are to tell a true story. I don't remember blood in blood out ever saying at the beginning, or the end that it was based on a true story. It might have had similarities, but that's it. Like Platoon, fake, but still a good movie. Saving Private Ryan, true, and a true story. It doesn't always have to be real to tell a good story.