Tom Cruise v. Denzel Washington

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Tom Cruise v. Denzel Washington

Unread post by alexalonso » August 22nd, 2005, 12:09 am

Who was more thugged out and more gangster between Tom Cruise's character in the film Collateral (2004) and Denzel Washington's character from Training Day (2001)?

In your answer provide a reason why. If you haven't seen both movies dont reply.

Y.g. Kappa Don
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Y.g. Kappa Don » August 22nd, 2005, 3:43 pm

Thats a hard 1 AL but i gotta go with that boy Denzel he fit the part more than tom cruise i felt tom was just psyko point blank he wasn't wrapped tite in the brainz but Denzel was on the block every now and again in the hood he was bustin on them niggaz from the blue dividsion and lived in the Junglez so the hood and the G was all around and in Denzel.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 22nd, 2005, 8:40 pm

Robert Deniro in heat.

Y.g. Kappa Don
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Y.g. Kappa Don » August 23rd, 2005, 9:04 pm

Invincible wrote:Robert Deniro in heat.
thats not the question he asked Genius lol.

Baby-Girl16
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Baby-Girl16 » August 24th, 2005, 12:53 pm

I think Training Day was the better movie... it was a lotta insight and depth in2 the gangs and life in L.A. The whole corrupt cop thing i believe is also tru..(Lets not 4get Rampart ppl).. Collateral was good...real good, but it didnt hit me as hard as Training Day b-kuz im familiar w/ the area....

Just my 2 cents

Baby-Girl16
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Baby-Girl16 » August 24th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Thugged Out- Tom
Gangster- Denzel

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » August 24th, 2005, 3:02 pm

the more gangster was denzel, tommy boy was just a hired pro, and denzel was a crooked cop, so i believe that denzel was more gangsta

Ice
What city do you live in now?: SF

Unread post by Ice » August 25th, 2005, 7:48 am

no doubt Denzel was more thugged out, Tom Cruise looked like the Terminator in some scenes, shootin people in their foreheads and beatin security guards down like it's nothing...my vote goes for Denzel (Alonso)

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » August 26th, 2005, 4:16 am

I think Vincent was definately more thugged out and more gangsta. He was ruthless, calm and collective. Washingtons character was on the other hand un-calm and wasnt even ruthless enough to take care of Hawke.

Vincent played it cool for most of the part but Alonso was nervy, he slipped up alot. Alonso was more of an amateur but saying that he had the cop side to him, Vincent was 100% gangsta no strings attached.

On slip ups though, they both failed their objectives

Film-wise, i thought Training Day was the better film.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 26th, 2005, 11:41 pm

lets not just make it these two guys. Lets add them to the thread as well:
[img]http://www.alanmercer.com/images/danny% ... %203a4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.tiscalinet.ch/molodezhnaja/brad913.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/immag ... marlon.jpg[/img]

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 29th, 2005, 10:32 pm

i think Vincent (Tom Cruise) was more ruthless. He was a professional killer, and in the movie he killed about 5 people and was about to kill those two LAPD officers. Denzel (Alonzo) killed one person (i think) in Training Day.

But I think this is a good comparison, because it is two actors at the top of their craft, that are not known fo playing the villian, and I think they both did a great job as actors, but I think Denzel did his role a bit better, but Tom Cruise did his thing.

Just imaging Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Hugh Grant, etc trying to play the villian and killer. I think Denzel and Tom rose to the challenge and put it down.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » August 29th, 2005, 11:11 pm

yeh but those guys are a bunch of miss nancies, denzel and tom cruise have both played brave heroes, those other guys have played mostly romantic types, u kno

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 29th, 2005, 11:54 pm

alonso wrote:i think Vincent (Tom Cruise) was more ruthless. He was a professional killer, and in the movie he killed about 5 people and was about to kill those two LAPD officers. Denzel (Alonzo) killed one person (i think) in Training Day.

But I think this is a good comparison, because it is two actors at the top of their craft, that are not known fo playing the villian, and I think they both did a great job as actors, but I think Denzel did his role a bit better, but Tom Cruise did his thing.

Just imaging Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Hugh Grant, etc trying to play the villian and killer. I think Denzel and Tom rose to the challenge and put it down.
look above and watch brad pitt in California (or it might be spelled kalifornia).

NW10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NW10 » August 30th, 2005, 4:11 am

alonso wrote:Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Hugh Grant,.
lol cant see it working. Especially not the stereptypical english Hugh Grant. His voice is way too posh, i couldnt imagine him trying to sound like a thug let alone act like one. Remember his italian on Mickey Blue Eyes.

Not sure about Pitt, i mean on Snatch he played a good part but with a weird Irish accent.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » August 30th, 2005, 1:56 pm

If I remember Training Day correct, that drug dealer that was killed in his house was killed by one of the other cops, right? I am not sure if Denzel even killed that guy. Can anyone verify if Denzel killed anyone in Training Day?

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » August 30th, 2005, 2:02 pm

alonso wrote:If I remember Training Day correct, that drug dealer that was killed in his house was killed by one of the other cops, right? I am not sure if Denzel even killed that guy. Can anyone verify if Denzel killed anyone in Training Day?
Denzel shot his homie from Nam with the "Bitch". Remember Denzel telling him "breathe".

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » August 30th, 2005, 2:17 pm

yeh, and he killed the russian dude in vegas or wherever, thats why he owes them, but u never see this murder actually occur

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne

Unread post by L Grindin » August 30th, 2005, 2:39 pm

I think Alonzo in Training Day was more thugged out and gangster than Vincent in Collateral. As a cop, Alonzo was supposed to be honest, and live according to a code, but he ignored all of that and found ways to justify being corrupt. Even though Vincent was a cold killer, he was an independent contractor who did it strictly for money, and could therefore define his own morals. I’d trust someone like Vincent more than Alonzo, because you know what Vincent is about, but someone like Alonzo will fool you, smile in your face, and try to take advantage of you.

I trust honest killers more than liars.
Last edited by L Grindin on August 30th, 2005, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » August 30th, 2005, 2:44 pm

thats a good way of puttin it L, i agree

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » August 30th, 2005, 2:53 pm

Vincent would of mopped the floor with Alonzo if they would of ever met. Apperently Vincent was an ex commando. Vincent is cooler and Alonzo's character is basically just a weasel looking for his and his only. That one scene were Vincent kills those two wiggers with his bag is pure genious LOL.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by never die inside » August 30th, 2005, 3:20 pm

yeah I agree with L too.

that ed norton dood from american history X was more "thugged out" than tom cruise.

anyways, we had malcolm x, bruce lee, all making real significant movies and changes in america that benefitted everyone and altered reality n shiet.

where's pancho villa at?

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » August 30th, 2005, 8:14 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:Vincent would of mopped the floor with Alonzo if they would of ever met. Apperently Vincent was an ex commando. Vincent is cooler and Alonzo's character is basically just a weasel looking for his and his only. That one scene were Vincent kills those two wiggers with his bag is pure genious LOL.
those weren't wiggers they were woods.

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » August 30th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Invincible wrote:
Dr. Gonzo wrote:Vincent would of mopped the floor with Alonzo if they would of ever met. Apperently Vincent was an ex commando. Vincent is cooler and Alonzo's character is basically just a weasel looking for his and his only. That one scene were Vincent kills those two wiggers with his bag is pure genious LOL.
those weren't wiggers they were woods.
No they were wiggers.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » August 30th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Invincible are you for real, come on you cant tell the difference between a wigger and a wood. You have posted 1000 links on the AB and NLR yet you still dont know what a wood looks like.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 1st, 2005, 5:46 pm

L Grindin wrote:I think Alonzo in Training Day was more thugged out and gangster than Vincent in Collateral. As a cop, Alonzo was supposed to be honest, and live according to a code, but he ignored all of that and found ways to justify being corrupt. Even though Vincent was a cold killer, he was an independent contractor who did it strictly for money, and could therefore define his own morals. I’d trust someone like Vincent more than Alonzo, because you know what Vincent is about, but someone like Alonzo will fool you, smile in your face, and try to take advantage of you.

I trust honest killers more than liars.
they were both liars, Vincent lied so many times in that movie. When he killed the first guy, he told Jamie Foxx that he killed a criminal and didnt reveal that he was contracted to kill these people until later. When he killed the jazz mucisian he said that he would spare his life if he can answer the question correct and domed him after he gave the correct answer.

There is no trusting Vincent and I rather roll with a corrupt cop, because there is a line that even most corrupt cops will not cross. Vincent was a mass murderer. How many corrupt cops are mass murderer.?

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » September 1st, 2005, 6:01 pm

That jazz musician got the wrong answer to the Miles Davis question.

L Grindin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Hawthorne

Unread post by L Grindin » September 1st, 2005, 6:33 pm

alonso wrote:they were both liars, Vincent lied so many times in that movie. When he killed the first guy, he told Jamie Foxx that he killed a criminal and didnt reveal that he was contracted to kill these people until later.
The guy was a criminal. He was an informant in a criminal case, and most informants aren’t law-abiding citizens. The only outright lie that I remember Vincent telling is his saying that he was in town for a real estate deal.
alonso wrote:When he killed the jazz mucisian he said that he would spare his life if he can answer the question correct and domed him after he gave the correct answer.
Dr. Gonzo said: That jazz musician got the wrong answer to the Miles Davis question
alonso wrote:There is no trusting Vincent and I rather roll with a corrupt cop, because there is a line that even most corrupt cops will not cross. Vincent was a mass murderer. How many corrupt cops are mass murderer.?
Vincent wasn’t a mass murderer; his methods were more similar to those of a serial killer, and there is a difference. Vincent didn't prey upon the general public, but from my experience, crooked cops do. And while most corrupt cops may not be mass murderers, I consider them completely untrustworthy because they have betrayed the oaths and codes that they have sworn to abide bye, whereas Vincent didn't betray any oaths.

Once Vincent admitted that he had killed the first guy, he didn’t pretend to be anything other than an assassin, and because of THAT honesty, I would trust him more than Alonzo, who continued to deceive Jake until the end; Vincent was always honest in letting Max know that his future wasn’t certain.

Vincent only killed people who got in his way, therefore I don’t find him as threatening as Alonzo. Personally, I hate compulsive liars, and I feel that Alonzo was more of a compulsive liar than Vincent.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » September 2nd, 2005, 12:07 am

ok, we can call Vincent a serial killer. Thats
he was. But do you remember the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington. There is a scene where he is talking about crooked cops, or those that take "creme". The line was something like, "99.5% of the cops are doing the right thing, creme or no creme (corupt or not corupt) and although there are corrupt cops, there are just a few of them and most of the time they are doing their job.

That first guy may have been a criminal, but Vincet told Jamie Foxx that he was a criminal running an onging criminal enterprise. Vincent didn't know anything about that guy on a personal except his location and that he was on a list to be killed.

In Training Day, Alonzo seemed to be corrupt all day so he was an extreme case, but he justified it by saying that these are criminals anyway.

What was wrong with the Miles Davis answer? Because he didnt say he dropped out of school and learned from Charlie Parker?

Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » September 2nd, 2005, 6:12 am

alonso wrote:What was wrong with the Miles Davis answer? Because he didnt say he dropped out of school and learned from Charlie Parker?
Yeah! How do you learn to play from Juliard when you drop out in less then 6 months? He just should of said Charlie Parker if he claimed to know everything about Miles Davis.

holyshit
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by holyshit » September 2nd, 2005, 12:44 pm

I thought all croocked cops are white? at least according to the rodney king scene and community uproars.