Blue Rage Black Redemption by Stanley "Tookie" Williams

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
leftcoast
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Blue Rage Black Redemption by Stanley "Tookie" Williams

Unread post by leftcoast » October 21st, 2005, 12:49 am

he just talk about the start of the crips? i heard he dont talk bout his crimes cuz he aint trying to incriminate hiself..... supposedly he "sets the record str8" on the origin of the crips

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » October 21st, 2005, 10:02 pm

he talks about some crimes but it is a good history of the gang scene in the 1970s in Los Angeles. You can read more about the book at:

Order book: http://www.streetgangs.com/books/blue_r ... redemption

He is scheduled to be executed in December 2005.

xxx
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Big Tookie : Blue Rage / Black Redemption

Unread post by xxx » January 2nd, 2006, 6:04 pm

I just finished reading this book.

Tookie ends alot of debates and false statements on the history of the Crips. He discrdits alot of people and sources. He clears up alot of rumors and false chit chat ive heard on the streets and read on these gang sites.....

I always wondered why OGs in L.A never gave Michael Conception props for being an orginator, but he is on the front line yelling he started the crips. He's not mention in the Crips anthem like Rayond and Took....
Tookie discredits these dude and says Mike was not around in the beginning........

I was told and heard from alot of older heads Tookie Came up out the Hoovers in the 107s, and that 107s were the 1st West Side Crips. i even thought this was true......Dude kills that rumor, Hoovers were a establish gang b4 the Crips, Hoover Groovers, Took Converted these dudes to Crip.
According to Took, he lived on 43/kansas, 69/Denker, 83/western. 90/Budllong, and hung at St Andrews park and at Washington High in the 100s.........

The only disappointing part is he doesnt get into details about L.A Bloods and how the Beef developed. He more or less talks about his stay in Compton and raids on the Pirus.

He also doesnt discuss the the break up of the Crips, especially since he stayed in ETG hood in the late 70's. He was right there when it happen...
He does mention how Crips spread and converted older gangs and groups to be Crips..

He mentions a number of gangs that pre-date the Crips or was around during the beginning of the Crips:

Sportman Park Boys
Van Ness Boys
Brims
Manchester park Boys
Piru Boys
Chain Gang turn Inglewood Family
Slausons
Business Men
Gladiators

Its alot of shit in this book, to much to mention, a must read............

yanomas
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yanomas » June 3rd, 2006, 11:36 am

I agree with you on the points you mentioned, although I really didn't like the book. (then again, I wasn't reading it for myself and if it weren't for the kids I'm trying to help, I would have never picked it up)

I just gave the book to a kid who is in the Crips. Do you think it will help him? or do you think it glorifies gang life? I really hope it helps him see where gangbanging leads.

lisi

jeff
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jeff » June 5th, 2006, 2:42 pm

lisi wrote:I agree with you on the points you mentioned, although I really didn't like the book. (then again, I wasn't reading it for myself and if it weren't for the kids I'm trying to help, I would have never picked it up)

I just gave the book to a kid who is in the Crips. Do you think it will help him? or do you think it glorifies gang life? I really hope it helps him see where gangbanging leads.

lisi
i think it glorifies the crips in the "blue rage" section in particular. that's nothing new though i felt the same way about monster. but then again he tookie is just recounting real events. i like the book, it's just more of a history of the crips + some social commentary, rather than an anti-gang book in my opinion. i'll put it this way, from my own experience growing up if i were a youngster i wouldn't read this book and feel discouraged from gang life.

grape fo def
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by grape fo def » June 5th, 2006, 11:03 pm

I just finished reading this book.

Tookie ends alot of debates and false statements on the history of the Crips. He discrdits alot of people and sources. He clears up alot of rumors and false chit chat ive heard on the streets and read on these gang sites.....

I always wondered why OGs in L.A never gave Michael Conception props for being an orginator, but he is on the front line yelling he started the crips. He's not mention in the Crips anthem like Rayond and Took....
Tookie discredits these dude and says Mike was not around in the beginning........

I was told and heard from alot of older heads Tookie Came up out the Hoovers in the 107s, and that 107s were the 1st West Side Crips. i even thought this was true......Dude kills that rumor, Hoovers were a establish gang b4 the Crips, Hoover Groovers, Took Converted these dudes to Crip.
According to Took, he lived on 43/kansas, 69/Denker, 83/western. 90/Budllong, and hung at St Andrews park and at Washington High in the 100s.........

The only disappointing part is he doesnt get into details about L.A Bloods and how the Beef developed. He more or less talks about his stay in Compton and raids on the Pirus.

He also doesnt discuss the the break up of the Crips, especially since he stayed in ETG hood in the late 70's. He was right there when it happen...
He does mention how Crips spread and converted older gangs and groups to be Crips..

He mentions a number of gangs that pre-date the Crips or was around during the beginning of the Crips:

Sportman Park Boys
Van Ness Boys
Brims
Manchester park Boys
Piru Boys
Chain Gang turn Inglewood Family
Slausons
Business Men
Gladiators

Its alot of shit in this book, to much to mention, a must read............
good shot fo the review

wang
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by wang » June 6th, 2006, 3:05 am

when was this book released

yanomas
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yanomas » June 6th, 2006, 7:07 am

I think it was released in 2001.

Do you have any suggestions for books that a kid would actually read and that would discourage them? or movies?

I need to at least try to counter the "coolness" factor that these kids are getting swept up in. Every day it is getting worse.

jeff
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jeff » June 7th, 2006, 8:01 am

i'll try to think of more but one movie i think is a good suggestion is the hbo movie gang war: back in the hood 2. it's a follow up 10 years later on the first documentary about bloods & crips in little rock, ar. the main focus is on the person responsible for bringing the crips to ar. he's turned his life around and became a youth counselor. a lot of the gang members around in the original documentary ended up dead before their time, it's pretty depressing.

yanomas
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by yanomas » June 7th, 2006, 10:25 am

Thank you. I'll see if the library can get it. If it's a documentary I shouldn't have any problem with rating.

grundy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Jimel Barnes-godfather og

Unread post by grundy » June 8th, 2006, 8:05 am

Heard him on the radio before the execution. He was going off on Tookie called him a child molester and everything. From what I heard Jimel is the one that buffed Tookie out. Jimel was Raymond's right hand man not Tookie. Alonso anything to add.

grape fo def
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by grape fo def » July 22nd, 2006, 3:44 am

finally read this shit, so the Brims been around longer then the Crips and were always enemies of the Crips, but the so called "blood" unification did not happen till after i guess, it mentions the Denver Lanes and Figeroua boys around before the Crips, and it also mentions these other gangs like the Sportmans Park Boys who later i suppose became the Ingelwood Family Gangsta Bloods wuz puttin in major work back then atleast in tookies westside area....

The Figeroua boys were also mentioned to start using guns before the Crips, and not many Crips were into guns except cats like Bhudda (RIP) and a few others

also tells how the Crips started wearin the blue rag it wuz in rememberence of Bhudda who used to wear all blue all the time

i agree it duznt tell how the bloods were formed at all , and duz not even mention the word "blood" until way later in the book when he is speaking of prison.......

wut i got from the book wuz that Tookie really did reform later on in his life, whether it wuz by choice or force from being solitarly confined i don't know, regardless it wuz a realization and a change for the better. Rest In Peace Stanley Tookie Williams a "man of peace" no longer a Crip but still a triple O.G. in the eyes of many.

calle83

Unread post by calle83 » September 13th, 2006, 5:56 am

was told and heard from alot of older heads Tookie Came up out the Hoovers in the 107s, and that 107s were the 1st West Side Crips. i even thought this was true......Dude kills that rumor, Hoovers were a establish gang b4 the Crips, Hoover Groovers, Took Converted these dudes to Crip
so he didn't start 107 hoovas? but they could be the first sub set when he converted them to crips and there were only west side crips this time?

need to reed this book

Silencioso
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: West Los

Unread post by Silencioso » April 28th, 2008, 11:33 am

He claims that the Cribs/Crips didn't exist before he and Raymond Washington merged their two cliques together in 1971. The name Crib was suggested by Raymond at their first meeting. A lot of OG Crips tell it differently.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Blue Rage Black Redemption by Stanley "Tookie" Wil

Unread post by alexalonso » September 10th, 2015, 11:31 pm

I wonder who was Lil Chocolate from Hoover Groover who was killed either by Curtis "Buddha" Morrow (according to Tookie's book he denied it) or a member of the Figueroa Boys. There was also a Big Chocolate who negotiated the truce with the West Side Crips. I wonder if Chocolate was the real name, because he changed a few names and for some reason that I can pin point, I dont think the name CHocalte is real.

bgcasper
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: south paris
Location: from cpt to vegas up to paris its blue and gold ogk1 reppin sw pj south 1-tray cripppin

Re: Blue Rage Black Redemption by Stanley "Tookie" Wil

Unread post by bgcasper » September 11th, 2015, 7:50 am

[quote="@1"]I wonder who was Lil Chocolate from Hoover Groover who was killed either by Curtis "Buddha" Morrow (according to Tookie's book he denied it) or a member of the Figueroa Boys. There was also a Big Chocolate who negotiated the truce with the West Side Crips. I wonder if Chocolate was the real name, because he changed a few names and for some reason that I can pin point, I dont think the name CHocalte is real.[/quote]i heard that name in association with hoovers dead homies