Nickerson Garden Raids (I been asked to speak on it)

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Nickerson Garden Raids (I been asked to speak on it)

Unread post by Tatta » January 22nd, 2004, 3:57 pm

Normally I don't post stuff from my own page on this one, and please forgive me Streetgang.com Admin but I feel like a few thangs need to be said and shared among those involved in the gang-culture...

I am somewhat...ok not replace "somewhat" with "REALLY" upset with Law Enforcement and other officials as of late. I will explain why and then eagerly await your reply.

I am sure you are aware of the gang-raids they did on my neighborhood the other day (if not then CLICK HERE). My concern in all of this is that ... ok wait I want to explain that I understand the Police Officers that performed this raid were only doing their job and I can't reasonably hold them accountable.

With all of the outcry that our communities have been pouring out over the years...with all of the "HEY LOOK AT US" community events and all of the letters that were written requesting attention...this is what Watts gets: a fuckin raid.

The amount of money that was spent on this more than bogus event is enraging to me. I am thoroughly appalled that the money that was spent to "oust" gang members was not spent on community benefitting purposes in some other way. The school lunching programs...reading programs...computer-skill programs...there are 29832084293483294 other things that needed that funding before the police department decided to fund themselves some shiny badge of fuckin honor in this upcoming election period. The blatant act of "gee we cleared the nickerson's of gang members so we should be commended" BS is absolutely grotesque and mind-blowing!!!!! A shiny badge? Was that the goal??

I mean...shit...let's keep it real...you and I both know that 90% of the "Notorious Bounty Hunter Gang Members" don't EVEN LIVE in the Nickerson Gardens anymore....yet by name alone the deed was justified as a "sweep"...the nab?? 30 members....friggin pitiful. AND the of the 30 nabbed...I am willing to BET that 90% of them ain't even active like they were at one point and have just been long-term residences with their families in the gardens...older cats even. Sure a few of the lil ruckus-raisers and front line soldiers may have got cracked...but of them 30 niggas??? Nobody "significant" was grabbed and the problem is no where even CLOSE to bein solved....pathetic...pitiful and pathetic...30.

Our children were forced to not be allowed into the local schools during this raid...instead they were forced to witness this horrific event. Yet another seemingly oppressive outcome of what this city's government deemed necessary....this kind of sweep doesn't happen anywhere else but in the ghetto. NO..I am NOT playing the "race card"...just stating a fact.

DEAR POLICE....THERE IS A BETTER WAY BUT UNTIL YOU TURN YOUR HEADS TO RECOGNIZE THAT THE ONLY SOLUTION TO THIS MATTER LAYS DIRECTLY WITHIN THE PROBLEM ITSELF!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN RAID OUR PROJECTS....LOCK NIGGAS UP...THROW AWAY THE MUTHAFUCKIN KEYS BUT UNTIL YOU GIVE THE VERY PEOPLE THAT YOU ARE LOCKING AWAY A VOICE THEN THE PROBLEMS WILL ONLY INTENSIFY IN SEVERITY!!!!!!! WAKE THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!!!

Man, I am mad as fuck right about now...forgive my outburst...but anyhow back to what I am trying to get you to enlighten us about...because I swear I don't feel bad that niggas in Watts are taking pop-shots at every cop they see...don't get it twisted I hate that the cops that took the job are paying for the BS decisions of our decision makers...but damn....ultimately it is the decision makers that are responsible for the uprising that is definitely pending.....trust that.

Usually there ends up being 293982834 different versions of what went down and who got arrested...infact these message boards are notorious for slangin rumors around like john holmes slung his meat...and it gets out of hand...there were no "tips" there was no one incident that sparked this raid...this was nothing more than a political move to further someone elses political career and the shit is probably gonna backfire....

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: Nickerson Garden Raids (I been asked to speak on it)

Unread post by wcrockets » January 23rd, 2004, 12:07 pm

Yeah that was sure all over the news.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 23rd, 2004, 12:46 pm

yes it was wcrockets...yes it was...

i just logged back in because certain issues really boil my blood..i mean they make me mad as hell and this is one of those things...to top it off...i got 6 different pms asking me to tell my point of view and yet...now i realize that all that most of these lil wannabes that hang out online wanted was some "juicy" details ...sorry to have disappointed you by spitting a lil realism instead of internet fantasy folks

if the thread had been about "which gang dresses the best" then surely the lil fleas and ticks of this internet-thug life would have all hopped out of the cyberspace woodworks and jumped all over the topic...niggas the aint never banged in the streets a day in the damn lives would have been in here tellin all sorts of made up war stories about how many niggas they done killed for not dressing right...

funny how thangs flow i guess...issues of substance never seem to be addressed...guess this forum is specifically for entertainment purposes and i really shouldnt be angry at the kids that are in school right now instead of getting they lil internet bang on...guess i shouldnt be upset by the fact that the only thing that most of these cats comprehend is some BS about who "cliqued up" with who...it is pathetic

don't get me wrong...some cats on this board have great minds and some real thoughts...most simply exploit gang banging and others wear the "thug jacket" only while online...life goes on

if people that care about what happens to the ones that are out here in these streets and doin the damn thang dont realize the significance if this occurance? then perhaps i failed in bringin the issue to light...maybe they dont see the significance of what happened..maybe they just dont understand that if they thought the game was ugly before it just got 5 times uglier...perhaps they just choose not read...perhaps it just doesn't promote their need to capitalize off the game...only time will tell

and to everyone that asked me for this post initially? miss me in the future...i ain't the internet thug hero that you seek...if you want truth and reality i will share...if you want gangsta fairytales then there are atleast 55 other fools on this site that i am sure will give you what you seek....i aint the uno

lb516
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by lb516 » January 23rd, 2004, 2:16 pm

tata i hope i didnt offend you when i said "tata will give us the real" its because i rather here it straight, then from someone that seen it on the news. no disrespect OG..

one

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 23rd, 2004, 2:38 pm

not at all lb...not at all

you are not among those that have nothing to say...i respect you and your words bruh

stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by stateraised2000 » January 23rd, 2004, 3:00 pm

yeah tatta, i feel you on some of these cats just being curious and wanting to have something to talk about. you know where i stand on this issue homie.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » January 23rd, 2004, 6:20 pm

I have been contacted via one of my homies that is in contact with a bounty hunter to address the issue of increased policing in the Gardens. My name came up at a police conference about this issue, so this is a serious matter to me.

One of the things I try to do on this board is to delete and ban unsubstantial posts and irrelevent topics. I try to structure this forum with a more serious edge rather than an uncontrolled forum. But there are over 10,000 posts on this board and I am a one man show in my little spot in South Los ANgeles.

Now I wish that there was a better discussion on this matter, becasue what is going on in the Nickersons can and will have greater implications for other areas of LA and for other cities, that believe that this form of policing is effective. It has never worked, always fail, and it pits the community against the police, something that Bratton stated he did not want to do.

As I see it, we have not seen the end of this, and it can get more grimey if proper intervention and mediating approaches are not taken.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 23rd, 2004, 6:54 pm

My opinion is that it's ALL important. The history (culture included), the present, and maybe most importantly: the future. I make no apologies for any of these discussions. BUT Tatta's right that some things are WAY more important than others at any given time. I think that his hood is in the middle of a FIRESTORM right now and he's looking around at all the things here that ain't helping that situation.

You're right Tatta. Most of us didn't grow up in Nickerson Gardens. If we did we'd sure be putting more emphasis on what's happening there. We are where we came from though and some of that isn't a deep hood. Doesn't mean that we don't care. We're just removed from the epicenter is all. I hear you talking about priorities and what is most important. I read that Big Brother's putting it down on you all over there right now and that it may get a lot worse for all hoods over the years to come.

The technology and organization is certainly in place for Big Brother to do that if they choose to. Honestly, it's up to the PEOPLE to control their Government. But first truth must be passed to the people. Most people are brainwashed somewhat right now and since they aren't from the hood don't know what's going down.

And you KNOW we've been on a trend since the 80's of giving up freedom for "safety." Combine that with a lot of the hood not being voters or taking their voice to the representatives as well as they could be and the end result is that right now Tatta's neighborhood is getting worked over. That's the result. I think Mr. Alonso has eloquently dealt with this issue in the past and I agree that now is a good time to get the word out and talk about it again. But it's still a discussion board, at least until Alonso says otherwise, and we be talking about everything. Last but not least, on a personal note, I KNOW I'm part of making the world better and not part of the problem on any side. Can you say the same and know it to be true in your heart?

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » January 23rd, 2004, 10:51 pm

Its not just in L.A. .... in every ghetto hood the same thing happens .....its like a cycle...

In, New Orleans, my older brother and several cousins and friends were rounded up between 1997 and 2000 and "called" the most notorious drug gang in the history of the city. The mayor at the time along with the police chief and the FEDS had a press conference and claimed that they were to be charged with over 20 murders througout the city over 3 years. The ridiculous thing about the situatution is that some of the murders that they were implicated in were some of our homies and relatives.Plus the the gave them a name "7th ward soldiers" and everything. After all of the BS press conferences of propaganda and slander the courts convicted them with no real evidence. They used prior convictions, hearsay, jailhouse snitches, and the federal conspiracy law to convict all twelve of them to atleast 40 years apiece...My brother receiving 120 years for 6 murders and 4 attempted murders. The interesting thing about this is that with all the press they got when they were busted...No one bothered to cover the appeal that they won or the appeals that are in progress or the fact that New Orleans is just as dangerous as it has always been. Thats why I know by experience that those operations like the sh*t in Watts is political bullsh*t

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 24th, 2004, 3:05 pm

I have been in the game for many years. I am only a man of 25 and have caused more than my own fair share of grief for society as well as for myself, my family, and the very city I represent. I took a stand against myself and the life I lead about a year and a half ago...I pledged my committment to making a change. Do I bang? I guess you could call it that because I am and always will be BHB for life. Do I participate it killing my own kind? No. Do I participate in furthering the damage that has been done to my community and society at large? No. Will I fight to save the youths of today that I have played a hand in shaping into the gang life? Damn skippy I will. I owe it to myself and I owe to the world that I harmed. I owe it to my very own children to make a change and to bring that change about.
I have been a victim of police harrassment...some of it may very well have been justifiable because there was a point when I was a menace. I have seen niggas I grew up with harrassed and the justifications were both justifiable and at times not. I have seen the very community that I grew up in begging for attention and government assistance for the entire 25 years I have been alive. I have read about Watts and the need for assistance therein in books about the city's history. I have studied the Watts riots of the 60's, which was the point in time when government made it's last stand in our city. It was upon televised coverage of what went on between police and the community of Watts that the entire region of Southern Califonia outcasted our city and forsook us as being the ultimate "ghetto".
There is no new street pavement, there are no government sponsored "empowerment zones". There is little to no funding to improve upon the heart of Watts, which just happens to be the Nickerson Gardens Housing Project. There is little to no public funding for anything of substance on the norm.
What never fails to tickle me pink is the fact that after some form of uprising or turmoiltuous event, there comes a small shining light to our city, in the form of a public relations stunt from some opportunistic politician. This holds true over time. I recall a small clean-up effort when Jesse Jackson came to spend he night in the Nickerson Gardens back in the 90's. His way of saying "hey, look at me black folks! vote for me because I care!" Bullsh!t. The nigga didn't leave stuff behind for us, he left nothing of substance. No grants for improvement, no extra schooling funding, no added opportunity for employment or community education. The same thing with the "truce" everyone on this particular board seems to swear was legitimate. The whole damn truce was a facade and a pharce. It was nothing more than an exploitive movement which used us gang members to further someone else's needs and political career. Ole fake ass Jim Brown ended up making a mint off gang members. He would get money to sponsor events that were intended to "keep peace and educate gang members". Time for the truth...he did nothing more than take that money, open his backyard up to us and let us hang out and bbq by his pool while he used that money to fatten up his own pockets and fix his house up. Yea, I was there first hand. The man never came from the streets and didn't give a stuff about anyone that did. Another opportunistic pig. He was a patsy in the whole ploy for public officials as well.
This latest event in Watts stinks of the same exact stench. The smell of opportunity and exploitation of a weak and failing community in the name of "taking the streets back" fills the air. The smoke emitting from the truth behind what seemed like a heroic act on behalf of law enforcement is blinding the masses and they keep their mouths shut for fear of smoke inhalation. They have society at large fooled into believing that this was "necessary". An all too cliche joke...thats what it is.
Watts has never had a lack of police presence and has never been in need of "raiding". I will grant the fact that the gang population is heavy and that the need for saving some lives is prominent. I will NOT, however, accept nor condone the fact that government found public humiliation and extreme measures to be the right way to do it. The money that was spent on this endeavor to get someone re-elected or newly elected could have gone to other programs and enrichment forces to make the needed steps into creating change.
Mr. Bratton has a hidden agenda and underlying reasons for "taking charge". He wants to go further in his political career than just sitting there as police chief, believe that. His warfare tactics are what he is hoping for in order to catapult himself further up in political stature...mark my words.
Recognize the travesty of this event and when you see the devasting aftershocks of what has occured then sit there and say to yourselfs, Tatta said this would happen.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 24th, 2004, 4:57 pm

wcrockets wrote:... Last but not least, on a personal note, I KNOW I'm part of making the world better and not part of the problem on any side. Can you say the same and know it to be true in your heart?
Yes, wcrockets, I can say the very same and yes know it to be true...and do so on a daily basis. I work for free towards doing so as a matter of fact.

Don't get me wrong, yes this is a talk forum...no need to mask what it is and if it serves as enjoyment for one and all then kudos to all and carry on. My point is NOT that this board has no substance. Obviously Alonso has put work into the board. Don't misconstrue my words and opinions at all. My point was merely that (and directed to those that claim they are serious as opposed to those that I can reasonably determine sincerely ARE serious) it is whack that certain individuals are eager to feed into the silly rumors and topics here (and elsewhere) but have nothing to say when someone (not just myself) post serious topics.
I sincerely understand, Alonso, that you are one man and by no means meant to indicate that you support the tom-foolery in occurance on your board...don't get my points mixed up. I post here and come here only to support the ideals of those that are serious about certain aspects of what is going on in the streets...I don't come here for amusement. I can respect the time you put into what you do, I may not always agree with your words, ideals, or methods but the respect is there for the time you put in.

wattscrackin
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by wattscrackin » January 24th, 2004, 11:36 pm

damn, i didnt know that about jim brown thought he wuz a real cat with all that pro black stuff, man fo sho its always f*ck the police, u think blacks been here for this long and aint tried atleast one time to get along with the police? they have, and u already know wut happened, they got stabbed in the back, u cant never trust no damn police or goverment, hell they the reason the drugs is here in the first place, the ONLY way for the violence to stop is for blacks to stop it themselves inside their own communities, aint nobody outside give a DAMN, and i think there have been some achievments but they r not enough and alot more progress needs to be made....

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » January 25th, 2004, 10:21 am

That raid sounds like what is going on in New Orleans. Before you know it they(whites) are going to try to tear down the projects and try to "take watts back" through that gentrification sh*t..

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 25th, 2004, 11:19 am

jb7777 wrote:That raid sounds like what is going on in New Orleans. Before you know it they(whites) are going to try to tear down the projects and try to "take watts back" through that gentrification sh*t..
I don't know if you are familiar with the L.A. area but Watts is surrounded by neighboring cities alson deemed "ghettos". The likely hood of whites trying to tear down the projects and "take it back" is nil. Gentrification, if at all likely in South Central Los Angeles areas, would begin on outskirts and work it's way into the heart. However, any form of gentrification would mean that those living in these ghettos would have to relocate and somehow I feel as though nobody would like that much so they leave it how it is.

indyjrt
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by indyjrt » January 26th, 2004, 5:05 pm

Wasn't the whole reason behind the raids because the LAPD was being sniped at while in their cop cars?

If the bad seeds of the projects are going to be shooting at the police then they should have to deal with the consquences of their actions.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 26th, 2004, 6:55 pm

Actually ...no it wasn't in response to the recent police shootings which began shortly after the injunctions came about.

The raid has been a year in the planning.

Never have I denied that individuals shouldn't expect and accept justifiable consequences for any actions they choose to take. All is fair in war.

The raid was NOT justifiable and more than certainly not cost-effective nor was is what the "community needed".

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 27th, 2004, 10:11 am

In a couple of months I should be finished with my essay on fighting the right wars in all of the wrong ways. It is pretty deep.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » January 29th, 2004, 1:51 pm

Tatta wrote:
jb7777 wrote:That raid sounds like what is going on in New Orleans. Before you know it they(whites) are going to try to tear down the projects and try to "take watts back" through that gentrification sh*t..
I don't know if you are familiar with the L.A. area but Watts is surrounded by neighboring cities alson deemed "ghettos". The likely hood of whites trying to tear down the projects and "take it back" is nil. Gentrification, if at all likely in South Central Los Angeles areas, would begin on outskirts and work it's way into the heart. However, any form of gentrification would mean that those living in these ghettos would have to relocate and somehow I feel as though nobody would like that much so they leave it how it is.
sounds like the makings of a new reality series.
"White Guy Moves to Grape Street."

jb7777
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by jb7777 » January 29th, 2004, 3:00 pm

Tatta , I see what you are saying

Slim
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Slim » January 29th, 2004, 7:48 pm

Those listed above are correct. I know that LAPD Chief Bratton is strictly a politician and will do everything he can for TV time or press (look at who he has on his staff, John Miller from 20/20 and press secretaries always with him). That raid on the Gardens did nothing but shed more negativity on the city of Watts. Now you see why young brothers are always blasting at the cops. LAPD just don't get it. Until you respect the community, the community will never respect you.

Mr./Mrs. Tatta, you have knowledge and I respect what you wrote.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 29th, 2004, 8:20 pm

Tatta, when I go into the project and I'm sitting on the sofa listening to a friend talk about the positive goals he's achieving I always notice the gang of guys in the flat "handling their business" and partying oblivious to the one person who is in the process of leaving hell behind him and me for the most part.

The battle is spiritual and if your neighborhood took the neighborhood on a positive track in reality and promoted it as such, the man would have to leave. He would lose his authority there. Right now though, it's treasures out of the darkness. All I can do is join with you in believing and helping to see that someday it will all be so.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 29th, 2004, 9:52 pm

I am think I get the jist of what you are saying wcrockets, however I would have to debate the point in this case.
The fact of the matter is that with or without gangs most projects, the Nickerson Gardens is what I will focus on since that is the subject at hand, will STILL be crime ridden and drug havens. Why is this the case? Because of poverty. Where ever there is poverty there is crime, where ever there is poverty there are drugs; they all go hand-in-hand in the real world.
Certainly in anyone's imaginary Utopia people could live in poverty and smile everyday when they step out of their doors. However, Watts is no Utopia and the Nickerson Gardens is no garden of eden.
Regardless of the gang situation within the housing project itself, gangs are NOT the biggest issue within the housing projects. I will expand on this point for those that have a closed mind. The root of the problems in the Nickerson Gardens is poverty, the lack of jobs, soured education, and failed chances at opportunities. The projects that I grew up in and ran around have been the exploited focus for many "empowerment projects"; each "project" lasting a matter of a month or so then disippating after local elections.
This bullsh!t raid is no different...an act of exploitation. The fact of the matter is, if the desire was to truly ...i mean TRULY "clean up" the Nickerson Gardens, then the game plan should have been to send a job recruiter and a school recruiter to every last door they kicked in instead of the police. Every person in that projects should have been handed an opportunity instead of a neighborhood badge of shame. Now, this is not to say that there are individuals that were very well in need of being removed from the area...not everyone was innocent. The sad reality is that there were more innocent people affected than guilty.
There is NOTHING...absolutely NOTHING that anyone can say to me or the community of Watts in defense of what transpired...and while I fight for change within myself and fight to be able to reach out to someone else that has lead a similar lifestyle, the truth of the matter is that you will NEVER see Bounty Hunters holding hands skipping thru the Nickerson Gardens and whistling show tunes...even if there was some unity the euphoric atmosphere that people depict as "what SHOULD be"...is not a reality nor remotely close to being one. Even I admit that.
A large percentage of the niggas that claim "Bounty Hunter" ain't even living in the Gardens...so for them to take pride in it's surroundings...well chances of that are slim as well...we did our best in our own way by keeping outside influences from infiltrating...to us that was our "pride" and something that niggas that ain't never banged will ever understand so there is no need trying to comprehend that concept.
Further, let's just entertain the fantasy of BHB turning around and head along a positive track...cold reality would smack us in our face because no matter what we do...government officials don't give a sh:t about Watts...they spit on us..time and time again and this "raid" was just a reminder that we are nothing and nobody in their eyes...just a group of lost ass minorities with nothing going for them in life.
It becomes necessary to call a spade a spade before any change can occur. I have spent hours writing letters and drawing up petitions for residents to sign in order to bring about repairs at the expense of the LAPD and the FBI alike. They fuked it up and they should fix it. Will they? Doubtful. The public relations stunt went off well and there is no need to pay us any further mind.
I don't buy the "get your hood directed right" theory in this situation wcrockets. It's easier to be on the outside lookin in and say that. Your response tells me that your thought patter mirrors the rest of societies. You may be on that sofa and hear someone outside "partying" but you don't hear the lil man in 12th grade 4 doors down upstairs studying for finals so that he can get into a good school. You don't hear the 65 year old lady that has walked along the same path for 45 years coming home from catching the bus to clean houses in beverly hills because she is raising her childrens kids because they are drug addicts and left them in her care. You don't see the mother of 4 making a meal out of nothing but rice and bread just to keep her kids healthy enough so that the same system that keeps her in the projects and broke won't come take her kids.
Instead you choose to see and hear what you have been conditioned to see and hear...and pass your judgement as such.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 29th, 2004, 10:23 pm

I hear them all and know many of them. You have misjudged and dishonored me. It's almost as if you can't help yourself to do that.

I agree with you that environment (including immediate family) has the most influence on any person in this world and that includes the Nickerson Gardens. I'm sad that you are so quick in your prejudice to kick me to the curb in your inaccurate judgement of me and that is a mistake that you have made. It will not, however, stop me from my mission in any way whatsoever. I forgive you and push forward. The love that drives me is far greater than either of us; despite either of us.

I do agree with your analysis of your neighborhood, however. You know it best regarding that.

When you are 30 I shall be here doing good for me and you. When you are 45 I shall be here doing good for me and you. You get the picture? I hope so.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 8:43 am

I only wish that in this world when one intelligent being disagrees with another that it wouldn't be viewed as "dishonor" or an act of "kicking one to the curb".
I didn't agree with your point of view. I don't see where that became a form of dishonoring. I mean no further harm when I pose the question of what am I supposed to 'honor" you or anyone else reading this for? I honor Allah, I honor my parents. Nobody else on the face of this earth has proven worthy of the like.
"Can't help myself"...read by me as your way of saying I am unable to control myself. In rebuttal to that I will again have to beg to differ.
I am a young man indeed, my wisdom supercedes my age, and my eloquence and articulation are a gift that I am blessed with. I use my ability to speak and write well as a tool to simply speak my mind and state my opinions; in doing so I attempt to keep it as real as I can.
If what I pointed out in your statement and identified as being my opinion made you feel dishonored then perhaps you should search deeper within yourself and ask why. Point being, never have I given you or any other credible voice a reason to feel "dishonored" nor have I ever displayed a lack of self-control and my words in this thread do not display that either.
I spoke my mind. I was taught a long time back that not everyone would always agree with me or understand my views and that they were always opened for intelligent debate as a result. Your views and opinions are no different then mine in that aspect.
I will not apologize for any of my words as none were typed with any disruptive nor offensive intent. If your ability to differentiate between a mere opinion on your words and a personal attack or act if dishonorment then I will keep that in mind and not reply to things you say out of respect.
I come to this board only to give my insight, I am not here to exploit the gang life nor am I here to stroke egos. I aim to educate with an authentic point of view but can easily opt not to do so if opposing opinions are not a welcome thing.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 30th, 2004, 10:04 am

Well you will believe what you want to believe that's for sure. Seems like every word I say is twisted by you. For example, I said you dishonored me not that I felt dishonored. Those are two different things. When you directed this at me:

"It's easier to be on the outside lookin in and say that. Your response tells me that your thought patter mirrors the rest of societies. You may be on that sofa and hear someone outside "partying" but you don't hear the lil man in 12th grade 4 doors down upstairs studying for finals so that he can get into a good school. You don't hear the 65 year old lady that has walked along the same path for 45 years coming home from catching the bus to clean houses in beverly hills because she is raising her childrens kids because they are drug addicts and left them in her care. You don't see the mother of 4 making a meal out of nothing but rice and bread just to keep her kids healthy enough so that the same system that keeps her in the projects and broke won't come take her kids."

Well that's just bullsh_t straight up. I grew up in a hood and travel to many. I know the residents and they know me. I know what they are going through and I am with them while they go through it. So saying I don't is a mistruth on your part due to your making assumptions about me and that's a dishonor. Now in my experience, someone who jumps to making negative assumptions about other people regularly is unable to control that part of themselves and not wanting to admit it when they do can be for many reasons (pride, misunderstanding, ignorance, ?).

When I speak of being in the hood sitting on the sofa with gangmembers talking to one whom I have a friendship with, I'm not talking about someone partying outside. I'm talking the doorbell is ringing and people be doing their business and partying in the room I'm in which gets in the way of what I'm trying to do there and puts me at risk. Things could jump off at anytime and I get a lot of mad looks in that environment. So you should understand that I was talking about the risk I assume when I go to do good in that environment. It wasn't a comment you needed to "defend against."

Finally, the only one talking about people skipping down the block hand in hand is you. I'm talking about a spiritual renewal from the inside out for people wherever they live. I've seen it and it works. Whole families change, relationships are affected. Now that doesn't mean the changed people still don't struggle with life and live in the same neighborhoods. What it does mean is they have changed and are better prepared to bring positive change to their world because they have already drawn a circle, stepped into the middle of it, and started with themselves.

The ultimate war is not between gangmembers and the police/society. The ultimate war is a war within the soul of humankind.

Now don't twist that up. Peace.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 10:29 am

How is it that I can possibly "dishonor" you? I never "honored" you to begin with, who are you to be "honored"? You are a man that seems to have a purpose, or so words lead me to believe, for THAT I can always give due respect and indeed for THAT I do respect you. However, honor is not yours from me...I already stated the identities of those that I honor exclusively and your name is not among them.
I don't understand where get the idea that it "seems like every word you say is twisted by me". This is the very first time you and I have ever interacted so extensively. I simply described a thought pattern, which you could have easily explained to me further in reply and perhaps I would have better understood. Instead, you took my words, deemed by you as an assumption, and made them (and continue to do so) into a personal attack upon yourself. I have read my words time and time over and have yet to be able to find where I "attacked" you. So, what is this need to defend your "honor"? I don't see it. I sincerely don't see why you feel attacked.
In reference to: "Now in my experience, someone who jumps to making negative assumptions about other people regularly is unable to control that part of themselves and not wanting to admit it when they do can be for many reasons (pride, misunderstanding, ignorance, ?). "
I made no negative assumption. When I am wrong I am wrong and had you elaborated what I was speaking on instead of feeling wronged then I might have simply said "oh, okay wcrockets. I understand what you are saying now." But again, you read what you want to read and feel the need to poke your cyber chest out and defend your "honor" when in reality it ain't even necessary.
Tell me what it is that I should admit? If you tell me and make me see it, then I am man enough to do that.
Your words are never twisted, your words are read and processed before I opt to respond. I don't read what I want to read, instead I read what you write.
You may have "lived in a hood" and you may "travel to many", but you are not FROM the hood, not FROM the ghetto, not FROM the streets and you don't live the life. I am NOT one of these over-zealous chumps that frequent this board in hopes of making friends with the moderators. Truth be told, I could give 4 shakes of a rats ass about anyone here. I will NOT kiss your ass and patronize you for the sake of doing so. I was obviously mistaken in thinking that I could hold a debate with you of your ideals without it becoming some emotional ping-pong of responses.
Don't deem me one of these ignorant ass porch niggas that have no sense of personal awareness and speak to me in some cocky condescending demeanor. You, just like me, are no better than anyone else because you can form a proper sentence.
Once again, my respect to you for whatever positive you are doing, have done, or will do in the future. Once again, my words are my own, my opinions are my own, and my intentions are not abusive.

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 30th, 2004, 10:43 am

Tatta, I've had my say on this subject and am moving on.

Check out this if you can read .pdf documents. I just found it and it looks interesting to me because people are creating change and as you have said so eloquently "change is inevitable.

http://www.worldimpact.org/winews/bulle ... 00-tnt.pdf

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 10:53 am

I was around in 2000 and remember it well. This is a 4 year old piece.

Is there something specific you wanted me to see in this?

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 30th, 2004, 11:14 am

I liked the passion these people showed in the article. They didn't let circumstance stop them from realizing their mission and working toward it. There will always be likeminded people no matter where or what the circumstance. That's what I was sharing.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing

wcrockets
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by wcrockets » January 30th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Nickerson Gardens as well as all other projects in Los Angeles County are controlled by Los Angeles County as you well know. This means that world is different than the suburbs who don't have social workers tracking the tenants. Because I don't have that background I'm not FROM the hood though I am aware of the hoods. You should also understand, like I understand, that your environment is part of your personality and it can overpower you if you're not careful. You are a defender of the people in your project, however, it's not a perfect world and you will find yourself defending people who commit crimes therefore any government agencies watching the project may assume that you are a part of the problem even though you, in fact, may actually be a part of the solution. Guilt by association is not fair but it is real. What I am trying to do with this post is get the conversation back on track towards a better understanding of what the projects are like and the lives of the people who live in them.

Tatta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tatta » January 30th, 2004, 12:50 pm

I defend what is right and advocate those that do wrong to accept their consequence. Regardless of whether a person does right or wrong I will always defend their rights as a human. Does not everyone, criminals and law abiding citizens alike, deserve opportunity before despair?
If you took all of the "negative" people from the Nickerson Gardens and left all the "positive" people in place, amazing as it may seem you would see a very low vacant to occupied ratio. There is more hope then evil, yet the hope that is there is unseen and unattended to. That is my point.
Human dignity was put on a stake and crucified...regardless of what the goal was. The good name of those that make a difference was marred in the process and oh-so unjustly.
I don't advocate nor tolerate the exploitation of any people, be it my set, my hood, my enemies, my allies, my race, my family, my friends or my foes. I advocate, instead, universal elevation of mind and body.
I do far more than simply preach the words I speak...I put my plans in motion to the best of my ability. I have the power of words and the ability to express myself. I write letters daily, I write letters for others so that they too can have a voice. I don't have the luxury of roaming streets incognito to spread my words and messages, I have to keep in mind that not all my enemies and adversaries are like-minded in my mission. I have to keep in mind that there are police that would love to scoop me up for being seen conversing with other gang members...I am no fool. I have things to accomplish before checking out of life or checking back in to the pen. Point being, I make do with my resources and network my message and assistance.
I have put out cries to many and asked for helping hands but usually what I get in return is a very cordially typed "I am willing to help you man" and then that is it. I do not babysit anyone, other than my children. I will never remind someone that they offered to help me in my quest. A person who is sincere in their intentions will remember on their own.
I walk the walk while I talk the talk. I am more than someone spewing philosophy and deep thoughts on a computer.
I hope that this thread can indeed get back on track and that people that have the power and resources to assist in making change open their mouths and say so.
I get fairly heated when the topic of Nickerson Gardens is only of interest to a few when the area is spoke on with some gang bagn drama or rumor is speculated. I can answer 293283923829382 questions about my neighborhood and the Gasrdens but i choose to do so sparingly here because in my world the game is to be sold and not told...I give to those that give me something in return (even if the giving is simply in the form of intelligent dialogue). Nothing for nothing leaves nothing.