Brawl in South L.A. involving about 30 women

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Brawl in South L.A. involving about 30 women

Unread post by clipse » November 6th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Woman dies as car rams crowd
The incident caps a brawl in South L.A. involving about 30 women in a parking lot. At least one other woman is injured.

A brawl among about 30 women near a busy South Los Angeles intersection turned deadly Monday when a woman plowed her car into the crowd, killing a woman who was eight months pregnant, authorities said.

Los Angeles police said that at least two other women were hurt, one critically, when they were rammed by a gold convertible near the corner of West Slauson and South Western avenues. The victim in critical condition is expected to lose her leg, authorities said. Police officials said the motorist sped off after driving into the crowd, but that she later showed up with her mother at the 77th Street station and was being questioned there by homicide detectives Monday night.

The brawl was part of a planned showdown between two groups of women in their early 20s, according to LAPD Cmdr. Pat Gannon. The cause of the dispute was unclear, he said.

The fight began shortly after 2:30 p.m. at a Big Lots discount store parking lot, where witnesses saw women shouting at one another and fighting, Gannon said. The brawl then spilled onto the street and across Western to a nearby 76 gas station.

At the gas station, the driver of the convertible got into her car and drove into a group of women, pinning one of them against another car, Gannon said. Meanwhile, a crowd of dozens gathered.

"It was totally an intentional act to kill the woman. It was the driver's way of settling the dispute. It was a horrific act," said LAPD Deputy Chief Charlie Beck.

He added that the showdown "was not a spontaneous dispute. This was a planned fight."

He said the confrontation unfolded at one of the area's busiest intersections -- a corner dotted with chain stores -- and played out in front of 200 to 300 onlookers. Gannon said the brawl, believed to involve women only, was "very unusual."

"We have seen women around gangs before, but we haven't seen anything like this event before," he said.

One witness, who asked not to be identified, said the driver hit the pregnant woman with her car, dragged her nearly 10 feet until she fell off, then backed up and ran over her again.

The witness said the driver was involved in the dispute. She said that the driver screamed and threatened the other women before getting into her car. According to police, however, the driver said after turning herself in that she drove into the victims accidentally.

The witness said the brawl was over a man, and that word was widespread in the neighborhood before the incident that there would be a confrontation Monday afternoon.

Larry Berry, 22, a neighborhood resident who showed up at the scene after the fatal confrontation and who identified himself as a friend of the woman who was killed, described the victim as "a very giggly person. She can irritate you and aggravate you, but it's all out of love. She was just bubbly." He said the victim had been a cheerleader at Dorsey High School and that when they were in high school they went together to their prom and homecoming celebrations.

Berry, standing within view of where the victim's body was covered by a white sheet, said he didn't know what triggered the confrontation.

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » November 6th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Damn!!

I read the title and thought,

MUST HAVE BEEN A HELL OF SALE :lol: down there

Woman fighting for the last pair of shoes on sale :wink:

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm

MARTINEZ wrote:Damn!!

Veryyyyy funny Martinez. I think we will be seeing more like this. Women are getting more aggressive nowadays and arent putting up with as much shit.

pistolslanga
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by pistolslanga » November 6th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Christina Marie wrote:

Veryyyyy funny Martinez. I think we will be seeing more like this. Women are getting more aggressive nowadays and arent putting up with as much shit.

dont think yall will need men around anymore eh :D

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 6th, 2007, 7:56 pm

pistolslanga wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:

I dont know about all that. I will always need my man :D

tecate
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tecate » November 7th, 2007, 11:05 pm

I UNDERSTAND ONE WOMAN FIGHTING ANOTHER WOMAN FOR A DUDE BUT DAMN, 30 FEMALES (ALLEGEDLEY) IN THE MIX?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 8th, 2007, 4:57 pm

tecate wrote:I UNDERSTAND ONE WOMAN FIGHTING ANOTHER WOMAN FOR A DUDE BUT DAMN, 30 FEMALES (ALLEGEDLEY) IN THE MIX?
Ok I am a bit twisted but I would have liked to seen (or more) that. RIP to the deceased.

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » November 9th, 2007, 10:34 am

What did they charge the girl who ran her over with??? She should get life

tecate
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by tecate » November 9th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Posted: Today at 10:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did they charge the girl who ran her over with??? She should get life

That is what she is facing, multiple murder charge including the pregnant the girls fetus ;(

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » November 9th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
pistolslanga wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:

I dont know about all that. I will always need my man :D
C.M.

<-------- Love that picture of you....it's HOT
8)

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » November 9th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Thank you for the compliment and yes my baby likes it so I put it up here for him :)

stunna118

Unread post by stunna118 » November 13th, 2007, 7:06 pm

lol damn thats ckrazy

tysuave
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: vegas

Unread post by tysuave » November 13th, 2007, 10:10 pm

where was thay from. was they bangers?

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Brawl in South L.A. involving about 30 women

Unread post by clipse » November 18th, 2007, 12:31 pm

clipse wrote:Woman dies as car rams crowd
The incident caps a brawl in South L.A. involving about 30 women in a parking lot. At least one other woman is injured.

A brawl among about 30 women near a busy South Los Angeles intersection turned deadly Monday when a woman plowed her car into the crowd, killing a woman who was eight months pregnant, authorities said.

Los Angeles police said that at least two other women were hurt, one critically, when they were rammed by a gold convertible near the corner of West Slauson and South Western avenues. The victim in critical condition is expected to lose her leg, authorities said. Police officials said the motorist sped off after driving into the crowd, but that she later showed up with her mother at the 77th Street station and was being questioned there by homicide detectives Monday night.

The brawl was part of a planned showdown between two groups of women in their early 20s, according to LAPD Cmdr. Pat Gannon. The cause of the dispute was unclear, he said.

The fight began shortly after 2:30 p.m. at a Big Lots discount store parking lot, where witnesses saw women shouting at one another and fighting, Gannon said. The brawl then spilled onto the street and across Western to a nearby 76 gas station.

At the gas station, the driver of the convertible got into her car and drove into a group of women, pinning one of them against another car, Gannon said. Meanwhile, a crowd of dozens gathered.

"It was totally an intentional act to kill the woman. It was the driver's way of settling the dispute. It was a horrific act," said LAPD Deputy Chief Charlie Beck.

He added that the showdown "was not a spontaneous dispute. This was a planned fight."

He said the confrontation unfolded at one of the area's busiest intersections -- a corner dotted with chain stores -- and played out in front of 200 to 300 onlookers. Gannon said the brawl, believed to involve women only, was "very unusual."

"We have seen women around gangs before, but we haven't seen anything like this event before," he said.

One witness, who asked not to be identified, said the driver hit the pregnant woman with her car, dragged her nearly 10 feet until she fell off, then backed up and ran over her again.

The witness said the driver was involved in the dispute. She said that the driver screamed and threatened the other women before getting into her car. According to police, however, the driver said after turning herself in that she drove into the victims accidentally.

The witness said the brawl was over a man, and that word was widespread in the neighborhood before the incident that there would be a confrontation Monday afternoon.

Larry Berry, 22, a neighborhood resident who showed up at the scene after the fatal confrontation and who identified himself as a friend of the woman who was killed, described the victim as "a very giggly person. She can irritate you and aggravate you, but it's all out of love. She was just bubbly." He said the victim had been a cheerleader at Dorsey High School and that when they were in high school they went together to their prom and homecoming celebrations.

Berry, standing within view of where the victim's body was covered by a white sheet, said he didn't know what triggered the confrontation.

Unique Bishop, the alledged driver of car myspace page -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =100969256

Manso
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Manso » November 18th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Some ghetto ass women squabbin over some shoes from Big Lots haha

clipse
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by clipse » November 24th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Haunting questions linger over fatal brawl

Many of the two dozen people attending a public affairs forum Saturday at a Crenshaw-area coffee shop had been thinking about the fight all week.

They were unsettled by news accounts of a showdown between two young women who were angry because they were dating the same man. Their feud sparked a brawl at a busy South Los Angeles intersection that involved as many as 30 young black women, drew hundreds of spectators and left Shontae Blanche, a 22-year-old pregnant college student, dead.

The brawl wound up on the agenda at their Urban Policy Roundtable meeting, along with home foreclosures and the city's new N-word ban. But what exactly, one man wondered aloud, did this ugly spectacle of unladylike behavior have to do with public policy?

Community activist Eddie Jones was there to help him figure it out. The "young lady who died was a peacemaker," mowed down as she tried to stop the fight, said Jones, of the Los Angeles Civil Rights Assn.

It was a tidy good-vs.-evil rendition. But the audience wasn't buying.

"If I was . . . pregnant, I would be at home," declared a middle-aged woman, her graying dreadlocks pulled into a bun. "She shouldn't be out there trying to break up no fight."

Heads nodded and others clamored to speak. What unfolded was a kind of communal soul-searching among people inured to local gang feuds and violence, but bewildered by what they considered a brazen display of depravity among young women, some of them mothers.

"We have become unbiblical," one man declared. "This is why our children behave like this." Others offered up a varied list of culprits -- crack babies, foster care, the prison system, welfare, rap music, bad parenting and the pharmaceutical industry.

Their comments made it clear that activists who try to make hay on this will have their work cut out.

"I came here to find out what's going on," said Warren J. Smith, a motorcycle-loving preacher who calls himself the "Gospel Rider." "I heard they were out there fighting over a guy in prison. Now you're telling me that she's some innocent bystander that came out here and gave her life. . . . For what?"

I left the coffeehouse sharing their discomfort. Girl fights are nothing new; I can remember the crowds that gathered whenever news of a female showdown spread through my high school 30 years ago. But this was different. This was not schoolyard smack down. These were grown women, and one of them died.

I headed for the gas station at Slauson and Western, where the brawl ended. It's where Blanche was struck by a car that police say was deliberately driven into the crowd by a woman involved in the fight. The woman is being held on suspicion of murder.

I found the scene dispiriting. The air was thick with the scent of marijuana. Clumps of young men stood idly by, sipping from liquor bottles tucked in paper bags. A motherly-looking woman loudly chastised them, with a string of insults and obscenities.

It was clear to me the tragedy had left its mark. A steady stream of visitors filed past a shrine of balloons, candles and photographs. A dozen young women were hard at work, washing cars with grim efficiency, and the donation envelope was bulging. An elderly woman brought a brood of preteen boys and ordered them to help wash cars.

She didn't know Blanche or Unique Bishop, the 21-year-old accused of killing Blanche with her car. It didn't matter, she said; she's not trying to sort out her feelings. "I just feel such pain for both their mothers," she said.

Blanche's mother, Mildred Hayes, said she hadn't spent much time trying to figure out what happened that afternoon. "I don't know if it was just a girl fight or whatever," she said. "I just wish my child hadn't been there."

Blanche was her oldest child, she said; a girl who tried hard to steer clear of trouble and graduated with honors from Dorsey High. "When everyone else was out running the streets, she was inside doing homework," Hayes said.

But Blanche's life wasn't that simple. She was raised by her grandmother; both her parents were in and out of prison, Blanche's grandmother had said last week. She was married and five months pregnant, but her husband is incarcerated.

"She wasn't no angel," a cousin said as she collected donations at the carwash Saturday. "She had her dark side, like everybody else. She knew the streets because she grew up here. But she didn't hang out. . . . And she didn't have nothing to do with this 'Girls Went Wild' stuff. To have her die like this is bull. . ."

Even though there were dozens of people at the carwash, nobody wanted to talk to me about exactly what happened the day of the fight. The possibility of retaliation was too strong. Also, they know how stories like this play to a public conditioned to stereotypes. It's too easy to sensationalize it, Jerry Springer-style.

Indeed, my colleague Richard Winton, who helped report the news stories, was bombarded with hate mail last week, including an e-mail from a self-described "white nationalist" who called the episode "typical Negro behavior" and blamed the "pointless and idiotic death [on] deficiencies in Negroid intelligence."

I wondered what that writer would think if he had the conversation I did with a thoughtful 34-year-old friend of the dead girl's family. This is a neighborhood, she told me, where a girl is expected to handle her business and not back down from a fight.

But she's worried that rule no longer matches the reality of the streets.

I imagine she's had her share of fights. She seemed tough, and her stick-thin arms were inked with tattoos. She told me her nickname but asked me not to put it in the paper. Things are tense enough, she said; she's not trying to fuel another feud.

"Ten years ago, you could fight and walk away," she said. "Now, you have to think, 'Maybe I should just let this person kick my butt, because then it's over and you don't have to worry about what's coming next.' "

And that was about as much soul-searching as anyone was willing to do. They had cars to wash, an obituary to write and a funeral to arrange. And a candlelight vigil to plan for tonight, where a neighborhood can gather to mourn.

MiChuhSuh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » November 24th, 2007, 10:14 pm

clipse wrote:Community activist Eddie Jones was there to help him figure it out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Assume everything he says to be suspect and never just take his word without thorough research/confidence in the facts. You should always do that anyways, but especially with this guy. It doesn't matter if what he says is true or false, in his mind everything is clear cut despite knowing nothing about people involved - his words means nothing in either direction.

...oh yeah and if you are ever in an incident and he contacts you, just hang up and block all his calls - DO NOT REACH OUT TO HIM FOR HELP, he will do nothing but give horrible legal counsel and quick fix PR advice.

89families

Unread post by 89families » November 26th, 2007, 4:18 pm

i got a kouple of homies i fool with from the 30's and they ready to ride on the sissies.. the girl that got killed was from 30's

Oh No!

Unread post by Oh No! » December 2nd, 2007, 10:47 am

clipse wrote:
clipse wrote:Woman dies as car rams crowd

Unique Bishop, the alledged driver of car myspace page -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =100969256
ol girls myspace is a trip

talkin about I like when my man licks my face...lmao wtf???

oh yeah, she deserves to die, and I hope she burns in hell

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » December 4th, 2007, 8:26 am

I hope she is ready to lick pum pum for the rest of her life no kids or grand kids for this chick no life no nothing all she has for the rest of her life is a cement cell and dreams of what being with a guy was like just forget about this chick she killed a woman and her unborn child there's no way she will ever get out of jail

abc543@
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by abc543@ » February 11th, 2008, 12:47 am

damn crazy stuff

MARTINEZ
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by MARTINEZ » May 7th, 2013, 9:16 am

guess i was too busy getting my clown on back in 2007

talking about "these bitches fighting over the last pair of shoes" lol

never crossed my mind that this was or could actually be a gang fight between appx 30 females

can anyone confirm that is was in fact a fight between female gang members?

SisterBrim
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: Texas
What city do you live in now?: Los Angles

Unread post by SisterBrim » May 11th, 2014, 8:13 pm

That type of stuff still going down in LA, wow. Anyways the pregnant lady may have had her peeps with her and the lady in the car probably had hers too. The situation doesn't sound like any gang fighting cause everybody would have been throwing down all over the place. The story just says the lady drove her car aiming for the pregnant lady. When gangs mostly fight (back in the day) we was all throwing punches, sticks, or what have you and then we ran when we heard the laws coming. lol