LAPD use deadly force against unarmed motorist on Crenshaw

For news related to any city in Los Angeles County area read here.
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

LAPD use deadly force against unarmed motorist on Crenshaw

Unread post by alexalonso » March 3rd, 2008, 1:41 pm

I was on Crenshaw and witnessed the LAPD kill a motorist. I caught some of it on tape.
To read my article about the shooting visit here:

http://www.streetgangs.com/magazine/030208aaalapd.html

Last edited by alexalonso on March 7th, 2008, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » March 3rd, 2008, 11:27 pm

Did you send a copy to the news?

61deuce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Minneapolis

Unread post by 61deuce » March 4th, 2008, 1:38 am

Maybe they thought he had a gun or maybe he thought he would outrun them and they took action first as to shot him down. And yea, did you send a copy to the News station. Probably would be a lawsuit against the LAPD file by the decease's family members.

kmcox
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by kmcox » March 4th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Racist nervous scary LAPD...Alonso, How do I become VIP this is my 1st post?

junta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by junta » March 5th, 2008, 5:35 am

What the hell are you guys talking about? This aint no racist LAPD shit. That nigga was shootin' at cops and civilians like they wasn't shit. I was there. I saw the whole fucking thing.

I was glad they killed that fool because all he had to do was get out of his SUV and lie down on the ground. But he wanted to be stupid and just started shottin for no reason'. When I heard them shots, I just stood in a trance and not even moving just watching.

Fuck that fool, one more chump out here in LA that I aint got to worry about. Plus I am glad that the LAPD killed that AK-47 gun using fool (22 year old Avenues gang member Daniel Leon I think) in Glassel Park a couple weeks back. I love when thugs get gunned down by the po po's. Rest in shit thugs!

dunkykong
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: dodge city

Unread post by dunkykong » March 5th, 2008, 8:34 am

well damn the video aint show all that :shock:

alonso whats the deal with a half ass story :?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 5th, 2008, 2:37 pm

junta wrote:What the hell are you guys talking about? This aint no racist LAPD shit. That nigga was shootin' at cops and civilians like they wasn't shit. I was there. I saw the whole #%@&#%@ thing.

I was glad they killed that fool because all he had to do was get out of his SUV and lie down on the ground. But he wanted to be stupid and just started shottin for no reason'. When I heard them shots, I just stood in a trance and not even moving just watching.

fu-- that fool, one more chump out here in LA that I aint got to worry about. Plus I am glad that the LAPD killed that AK-47 gun using fool (22 year old Avenues gang member Daniel Leon I think) in Glassel Park a couple weeks back. I love when thugs get gunned down by the po po's. Rest in shit thugs!

I was there for the entire incident too. I never saw him armed and was wondering if he was. It all happened fast. My question to Junta, is did the guy start shooting as soon as he stepped out of his car, or after he ran into the US bank parking lot?

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 5th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Since the new Chief (Bratton) came to town, the LAPD has been puttin' in more work.

junta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by junta » March 5th, 2008, 6:53 pm

alexalonso wrote:
junta wrote:What the hell are you guys talking about? This aint no racist LAPD shit. That nigga was shootin' at cops and civilians like they wasn't shit. I was there. I saw the whole #%@&#%@ thing.

fu-- that fool, one more chump out here in LA that I aint got to worry about. Plus I am glad that the LAPD killed that AK-47 gun using fool (22 year old Avenues gang member Daniel Leon I think) in Glassel Park a couple weeks back. I love when thugs get gunned down by the po po's. Rest in shit thugs!

I was there for the entire incident too. I never saw him armed and was wondering if he was. It all happened fast. My question to Junta, is did the guy start shooting as soon as he stepped out of his car, or after he ran into the US bank parking lot?

Oh my God the great Alex Alonso asking my opinion. If it werent for you Alex, I wouldn't know shit about gang life in this city. Thank You.

The cops asked him to step out of his truck a couple times and he didn't. But for one instant he decided to get out of his SUV and he started running and shooting at the same time. He was on some killer shit man! The part where he began shooting near that gated school by the Check Cashing Place, I was just over there 5 to 10 minutes before he began to start trippin'.

I watched the whole thing from the Shell Gas Station which is diagonally across the street from the US Bank where the shooter got gunned down. I saw him run up the side of the US Bank and come out the other side and he just indiscriminately started shooting again.

Two cops returned fire from behind some shallow bushes when he came out the other end of the parking lot of the bank, and he then fell on his back. I was shocked none of the bullets hit the cops because the shooter was less than 20 yards or so away from the cops. The dude had either bad aim or those cops got lucky as heck. I remember the cops ducking down and arching their heads so they wouldn't get shot. Them cops was on point. That dude had it coming.

junta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

C

Unread post by junta » March 5th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Common Sense wrote:Since the new Chief (Bratton) came to town, the LAPD has been puttin' in more work.
You sure are right Common Sense. Bratton and Villagarosa aint playing with these gang members. The LAPD and the Sheriffs went after a Mexican Mafia faction for heaven sakes! Former police chiefs out here never went after the Mexican Mafia. Maybe the MM wouldn't exist if the former police chiefs and mayors gave a damn.

[b]All the Mexican Mafia (MM) in jails and such is made up of is bitter, loser, 1 inch dick-having middle age Latino dudes that aint never gonna be shit and never was shit and who get a rise and a rush out of putting hits on people. I know the MM put hits on gang members which I like, but innocent people shouldn't have to fear for their lives. [/b]

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 5th, 2008, 8:45 pm

junta wrote:
alexalonso wrote:

Oh my God the great Alex Alonso asking my opinion. If it werent for you Alex, I wouldn't know shit about gang life in this city. Thank You.

The cops asked him to step out of his truck a couple times and he didn't. But for one instant he decided to get out of his SUV and he started running and shooting at the same time. He was on some killer shit man! The part where he began shooting near that gated school by the Check Cashing Place, I was just over there 5 to 10 minutes before he began to start trippin'.

I watched the whole thing from the Shell Gas Station which is diagonally across the street from the US Bank where the shooter got gunned down. I saw him run up the side of the US Bank and come out the other side and he just indiscriminately started shooting again.

Two cops returned fire from behind some shallow bushes when he came out the other end of the parking lot of the bank, and he then fell on his back. I was shocked none of the bullets hit the cops because the shooter was less than 20 yards or so away from the cops. The dude had either bad aim or those cops got lucky as heck. I remember the cops ducking down and arching their heads so they wouldn't get shot. Them cops was on point. That dude had it coming.

ok, from my position where I started shooting, I could not see him shooting. I saw him right after he got out the vehicle and he was back peddling towards Slauson. But after the LAPD shot 3 times he ran into the parking lot of US Bank and I couldn't see him armed, and none of the media reports are saying that they shot an armed suspect who was shooting.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 5th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Here is an article from cbs2.com. There is also a video on the story and never is it mentioned that the guy was armed. If the guy jumped out the car with gun blazing, why is this absent in the story?
--------------------------
Suspect Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting
LOS ANGELES (AP) ― Los Angeles police say their officers have shot and killed a hit-and-run suspect.

Deputy Police Chief Charlie Beck says reports came in at about 6:15 of a series of hit and run traffic accidents in South Los Angeles.

Beck says officers confronted the driver of a sport utility vehicle that was involved in the accidents.

Beck says the driver told police he had a weapon, and eventually officers fired several shots and killed the man.

Witnesses say the suspect was speeding down Crenshaw Avenue and hitting other cars.

http://cbs2.com/local/Standoff.Chase.Cr ... 67067.html
--------------

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 5th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Here is an article from abc7 news from:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=5993449

the article states that there was an exchange in gun fire, but according to LAPD Chief, he made "a threatening motion toward officers." Again, if the suspect was shooting, why does the story not emphasize this?

---------------------
Police shoot, kill suspect in South L.A.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

SOUTH L.A. (KABC) -- Gunfire was exchanged in South L.A. Saturday night between police and a suspect who threatened officers. Police say the suspect was killed at the scene.

The shooting occurred at Crenshaw and Slauson.

Police say they were responding to a series of hit and run accidents in the area, and they confronted a suspect.

LAPD Deputy Chief Charlie Beck said the suspect made a threatening motion toward officers, who then shot and killed him.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » March 6th, 2008, 10:08 am

when your black drivin thats a justified assault from the LAPD. sad part is the only time you see whites gathered in a group more than 10 on Crenshaw and Slausen its a homicide.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » March 6th, 2008, 5:45 pm

WIP wrote:when your black drivin thats a justified assault from the LAPD. sad part is the only time you see whites gathered in a group more than 10 on Crenshaw and Slausen its a homicide.
Fuck dude I go to Compton and they pull me over for being white. Anywayssssssssss.

Did homie have a gun or not? I still am not clear on that.

junta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by junta » March 6th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
WIP wrote:when your black drivin thats a justified assault from the LAPD. sad part is the only time you see whites gathered in a group more than 10 on Crenshaw and Slausen its a homicide.
fu-- dude I go to Compton and they pull me over for being white. Anywayssssssssss.

I was born with ears so I know I heard that dude fire a gun when he was running away from his SUV and when he was shooting at the cops at the US bank. I know what the hell gunshots sound like. That dude had a gun and I will stand by my story no matter what. I was there remember.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 6th, 2008, 11:35 pm

junta wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
fu-- dude I go to Compton and they pull me over for being white. Anywayssssssssss.

I was born with ears so I know I heard that dude fire a gun when he was running away from his SUV and when he was shooting at the cops at the US bank. I know what the hell gunshots sound like. That dude had a gun and I will stand by my story no matter what. I was there remember.
you say you heard him fire a gun, but did you actually see him fire when he was running from his car? If so, how many times do you think he fired when he got out of his car and started running?

61deuce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Minneapolis

Unread post by 61deuce » March 7th, 2008, 2:05 am

From watching the video again ... when the dude started to run, it seem like he was getting something out of his coat and was turning toward the cops. The cops fired the first round and dude turn and starting running. Cops fired 2 more rounds and it seem like none of the rounds hit him. When he turn the corner around US Bank, heard some more shots from 2-3 different guns. Don't really know if he had a gun or not, but I'm assuming he did. Because in the News report, it talk about 'shots being exchanged'.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

SOUTH L.A. (KABC) -- Gunfire was exchanged in South L.A. Saturday night between police and a suspect who threatened officers. Police say the suspect was killed at the scene.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 7th, 2008, 11:55 am

61deuce wrote:From watching the video again ... when the dude started to run, it seem like he was getting something out of his coat and was turning toward the cops. The cops fired the first round and dude turn and starting running. Cops fired 2 more rounds and it seem like none of the rounds hit him. When he turn the corner around US Bank, heard some more shots from 2-3 different guns. Don't really know if he had a gun or not, but I'm assuming he did. Because in the News report, it talk about 'shots being exchanged'.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

that same article that you mentioned above also said, "suspect made a threatening motion toward officers" which is much different than suspect shot at officer. so which one is it? The LAPD has still not put out an official statement on the shooting. and I believe that at least one of those three shots did hit the guy. His body does a slight jerk motion that is consistent with a bullet hitting him.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » March 7th, 2008, 1:59 pm

It is absolutely amazing what many people watching the same will see. For example Junta says that the guy was shooting. Other people I met at the site of the Officer involved shooting also said that the motorist was shooting, but I was there too and I never saw a weapon, and just as I thought, turned out to be correct.

The guy that was shot, Maurice LeRoy Cox, never was armed nor did he ever shoot. Below is the official LAPD statement regarding the incident posted on their website on March 6. They thought he pointed a weapon but he had something else in his hand.
------------------------
Traffic Officer Involved Shooting

Los Angeles: South Traffic Division (STD) officers investigating a traffic collision became involved in an officer involved shooting (OIS).

On March 1, 2008, at 7:05 p.m., STD officers were in the area of Crenshaw Boulevard and 57th Street when they saw a gray-colored pickup truck traveling at a high rate of speed. As the truck passed 57th Street, it collided with a large palm tree and came to a stop.

As the officers approached the truck, they noticed Maurice LeRoy Cox in the driver’s seat. Cox, while reaching for the glove box, told the officers to move away or he would kill them. Over the next several minutes, the officers maintained sight of Cox, who barricaded himself in his truck, refusing to exit. Officers assigned to 77th Area, STD, and Southwest Area responded to the location to aid in the investigation. Five officers, all assigned to 77th Area were positioned at Slauson Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard to coordinate perimeter control. The involved officers were Jose Campos, six years and 11 months with the Department; Thomas Callian, one year and 10 months with the Department; Osbaldo Ramos, 13 years and 10 months with the Department, Hector Ramirez, five years with the Department, and Corey Meisner, 12 years and 10 months with the Department.

At around 7:20 p.m., Cox left his truck and pointed what appeared to be a weapon in a northerly direction where the officers had deployed. As a result, an OIS occurred between Cox and Officer Campos. Cox then ran south and east from his truck toward the northeast corner of Slauson Avenue and Crenshaw Boulevard into a bank parking lot. While running along the north side of the bank, Cox turned toward the pursuing officers resulting in an additional OIS.

Cox continued to run through the parking lot to the east side of the bank. Once again, Cox pointed what appeared to be a weapon at the perimeter officers where another OIS occurred. Wounded, Cox was taken into custody and transported by the Los Angeles Fire Department to California Hospital where he expired from his wounds.

No officers were injured. Investigators recovered the object, a cigarette lighter power adapter, Cox pointed at the officers. Force Investigation Division is investigating the OIS.

http://lapdblog.typepad.com/lapd_blog/2 ... ficer.html

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » March 11th, 2008, 12:21 am

my cigarette lighter power adapter looks like a 9mm too..

sistahwiz

I'm getting sick of this mess!

Unread post by sistahwiz » March 13th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Hey Streetgangs, I'm new here and I just wanna comment on that night on Crenshaw and Slauson. I was there in my car with my daughter caught up in a mad traffic jam when homeboy took off on the police and they started firing back at his ass. He had that one coming because he caused an elderly woman to crash her car between 54th and 57th street and she was on her way to the hospital when I saw her. I'm just damn tired of the nonsense that goes on here in this city. I live in Gardena and it's not that bad, but I live near some bad seeds who happen to be gangbangers and dope dealers. Lately it's been a lot of shooting in my hood because of them, and I'm kinda scared for my two teens to even go outside. I'm a public safety officer and I aint about to get the hell out there and fight the war alone because I'm outnumbered! And these fools shoot back at law enforcement so what the hell?? The local agency aint tryna do nothing about it and they know what's going on. But really, I'm proud that LAPD did their damn job, that's what they're here for, "To protect and to serve". The S.W.A.T. officer that just got killed was a good man, a youth pastor at my nieces church, doing so much for the community, and you have the knuckleheads that wanna take a good officer out. I know and work with many officers and most of them don't wanna get involved in all this shit, they wanna go home just like you do at the end of the day. But believe me, by summer, it's gonna get way worse than this. I plan on staying at home and keeping my kids far away from the B.S. I HATE these ignorant ass, no job having, disrespectful thugs who couldn't care less for you or me or their own damn mama for that matter. BTW, who was filming behind the fence on the corner of Crenshaw and 57th street?? I saw a latino brother with a camera hanging out there. PEACE....BEAUTIFUL PEACE....(Hopefully)

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Re: I'm getting sick of this mess!

Unread post by Common Sense » March 13th, 2008, 9:32 pm

sistahwiz wrote:I HATE these ignorant ass, no job having, disrespectful thugs who couldn't care less for you or me or their own damn mama for that matter.
This is the general consensus of the comunity. There is NO RESPECT for the gangbanger.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » March 17th, 2008, 8:43 am

Common Sense wrote:
sistahwiz wrote:I HATE these ignorant ass, no job having, disrespectful thugs who couldn't care less for you or me or their own damn mama for that matter.
This is the general consensus of the comunity. There is NO RESPECT for the gangbanger.
he had that one comin. death...did he kill someone? did he fire at the police? thats lower than the bible. eye for an eye..you get the picture. you stay inside all summer. hide. keep your kids hiding. dont take a risk to help the community. it aint worth it..

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » March 17th, 2008, 8:48 am

the general consensus is the police would NOT shoot a white if they werent sure he had a gun.

Los Angeles Police Department officers have fired their weapons in 13 incidents this year -- hitting their target in all but one encounter. Four times, suspects also opened fire on police.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » March 17th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Peope are tired of thugs...

but..

There are thugs that work for the police Department!

People that condone cops killing some evading them, would NOT condone a cop killing their son for evading police.

How many times have incidents like this taken place in Black communities compared to white communities?

While the Swat Officer that was recently killed is loved and respected, what type of people did this cop mentor???

The reason why the Swat officer had such a huge funeral and all communities within the boundaries of the funeral respected his funeral and paid homeage to him is because he was an ordinary cop, he talked to the thugs in the streets and took kids on field trips and metored them. He is a rare person in minority communities and there needs to be more like him to bridge that gap between hoodlums, and police.

As long as the LAPD and other agencies continue to take civilian lives like we are not human, then they will never get the respect they have been trying to earn since darryl Gates became police Chief back in the days.... C.R.A.S.H., D.A.R.E. and so forth have not done anything good for the community to the point where I have ever heard a single person say, "Thank God for CRASH/DARE", or, "Gates, Williams, Bratton have finally earned the respect of the City/gang-members.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » March 17th, 2008, 1:43 pm

sistahwiz wrote:Hey Streetgangs, I'm new here and I just wanna comment on that night on Crenshaw and Slauson. I was there in my car with my daughter caught up in a mad traffic jam when homeboy took off on the police and they started firing back at his ass. He had that one coming because he caused an elderly woman to crash her car between 54th and 57th street and she was on her way to the hospital when I saw her. I'm just damn tired of the nonsense that goes on here in this city. I live in Gardena and it's not that bad, but I live near some bad seeds who happen to be gangbangers and dope dealers. Lately it's been a lot of shooting in my hood because of them, and I'm kinda scared for my two teens to even go outside. I'm a public safety officer and I aint about to get the hell out there and fight the war alone because I'm outnumbered! And these fools shoot back at law enforcement so what the hell?? The local agency aint tryna do nothing about it and they know what's going on. But really, I'm proud that LAPD did their damn job, that's what they're here for, "To protect and to serve". The S.W.A.T. officer that just got killed was a good man, a youth pastor at my nieces church, doing so much for the community, and you have the knuckleheads that wanna take a good officer out. I know and work with many officers and most of them don't wanna get involved in all this shit, they wanna go home just like you do at the end of the day. But believe me, by summer, it's gonna get way worse than this. I plan on staying at home and keeping my kids far away from the B.S. I HATE these ignorant ass, no job having, disrespectful thugs who couldn't care less for you or me or their own damn mama for that matter. BTW, who was filming behind the fence on the corner of Crenshaw and 57th street?? I saw a latino brother with a camera hanging out there. PEACE....BEAUTIFUL PEACE....(Hopefully)
Good post

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » March 17th, 2008, 2:03 pm

WIP wrote:the general consensus is the police would NOT shoot a white if they werent sure he had a gun.
Maybe so, maybe not, I guess that all depends on the cop involved. If it were me in a situation with the police, I'm not trying to get shot or get my arsed kicked by the police. I'll comply for the moment, if I have any beefs or disagreements, I'm not going to try to settle it on the street with a cop strappin' a 9mm. I'll go through city departments and courts. Might seem lame, but the other alternative is "The possibility of gettin' smoked by cops".

Chris Rock say's it best: "How Not To Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » March 17th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Common Sense wrote:
WIP wrote:the general consensus is the police would NOT shoot a white if they werent sure he had a gun.
Maybe so, maybe not, I guess that all depends on the cop involved. If it were me in a situation with the police, I'm not trying to get shot or get my arsed kicked by the police. I'll comply for the moment, if I have any beefs or disagreements, I'm not going to try to settle it on the street with a cop strappin' a 9mm. I'll go through city departments and courts. Might seem lame, but the other alternative is "The possibility of gettin' smoked by cops".

Chris Rock say's it best: "How Not To Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
The question is, if you were a cop and a guy jumped out and ran would you shoot him in the back?

LAPD- Shoot now, ask questions later! And then file a false police report.

WIP
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by WIP » March 18th, 2008, 9:59 am

Christina Marie wrote:
nobody really gives a F about your crack runs to compton

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » March 18th, 2008, 12:09 pm

sistahwiz wrote: I live in Gardena

Which side?

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » March 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm

WIP wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
nobody really gives a F about your crack runs to compton
LOL