UK:Asian inmates feel most unsafe in prison system

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

UK:Asian inmates feel most unsafe in prison system

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 20th, 2005, 1:30 pm

Asian inmates feel most unsafe in prison system, study reveals

Alan Travis, home affairs editor
Tuesday December 20, 2005
The Guardian

Asian prisoners in England and Wales now face more racist bullying and abuse than black prisoners, according to a survey published today.
The chief inspector of prisons, Anne Owers, says in a review of race relations in prisons that 52% of Asian inmates say they feel unsafe compared with 32% of whites and 18% of blacks.

Her report says that while Asian prisoners face most racist abuse from other inmates, black prisoners felt that they were least likely to be treated with respect by staff. Ms Owers suggests that young black prisoners feel "confident and protected" by the strength of contemporary black youth culture in prisons.

The report also shows that while most prison governors and white race relations officers take an optimistic view that generally the prison regime operates fairly for all minority ethnic groups, black and Asian prison staff were much less likely to believe progress was being made.

"A few complained about overt racism; many complained of subtle racism from colleagues, about which they were very reluctant to complain," said Ms Owers. White prison staff felt racism was principally an issue between prisoners and not one for staff.

The survey, based on interviews with 5,500 prisoners in 18 prisons, found evidence of overt racism. A Palestinian said officers repeatedly accused him of a being a terrorist: "They call me Jihad and I don't like it." Another reported, "When they call a prisoner called Mr Singh they go 'la, la, la'." An officer was reported as saying: "G wing is becoming planet of the apes."

But Ms Owers said such overt racism was rare and "subtle racism" was the problem with a very low level of understanding of cultural differences and little choice over food, especially Halal meat, and a general lack of respect for different religious beliefs.

Ms Owers said that race awareness training for front line prison staff had been reduced when it needed to be increased.

"We have serious concern about the training now available for governors, and for the staff who need to implement change."

"Without a specific and mandatory focus on race awareness, it is unlikely that managers or staff will be sufficiently equipped to break down the borders of the parallel worlds we have dscribed here," said the chief inspector.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/crimeandp ... ?gusrc=rss

AcmeWhiteBread
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by AcmeWhiteBread » December 20th, 2005, 2:05 pm

And they are not talking about what we call Asians. There talking about Pakistani's and what not. And after what they did to their subway they should be nervous.

Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Invincible » December 20th, 2005, 2:28 pm

only 18 percent of black as opposed to 33 of white nimates feel scared?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » December 20th, 2005, 5:26 pm

AcmeWhiteBread wrote:And they are not talking about what we call Asians. There talking about Pakistani's and what not. And after what they did to their subway they should be nervous.
Even here Paki's are considered Asian (they broke off from India). They just happen to have more Paki's and Indians. The only difference was the Palistenean guy.

rummy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rummy » April 19th, 2006, 3:01 am

Bredwin if your gonna refer to an individuals race try not to be rascist Callin a Pakistani or indian or bangledeshi peron a paki is regarded in the same breath as saying Nigger, maybe your not from the UK and theres a translation problem but if you are you should know better.

myDick in your mouth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by myDick in your mouth » April 19th, 2006, 7:17 am

EVN - I'm just me... wrote:
Even here Paki's are considered Asian (they broke off from India). They just happen to have more Paki's and Indians. The only difference was the Palistenean guy.

idunno wtf u talkin about. i consider paki's middle eastern. n so does everyone i know. in america asian means oriental.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » April 19th, 2006, 8:31 am

Yea america sees asians as orientals, here in uk we refer to asians as south asians.
but if anyone thinks india is middle east, then look at the world map, its directly south of china and is directly west of burma. Also checkin the official definition of asia would tell u also.

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 19th, 2006, 9:30 am

niro wrote:Yea america sees asians as orientals, here in uk we refer to asians as south asians.
but if anyone thinks india is middle east, then look at the world map, its directly south of china and is directly west of burma. Also checkin the official definition of asia would tell u also.
I live in the USA and don't anyone under 60 that uses the term "oriental." Period. Everyone I know, including a lot of whites, use terms like Asian, Black, White, Hispanic (or Latino), and Native American.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 19th, 2006, 12:45 pm

makaveli389 wrote:
EVN - I'm just me... wrote:

idunno wtf u talkin about. i consider paki's middle eastern. n so does everyone i know. in america asian means oriental.
Every Paki I have met considers themselves Asian even thought they usually hang out with Arabs.

They broke off from India, look up your history, India is an Asian country.

Just because you mostly encouter "Oriental" Asians doesn't mean there aren't other Asians you don't know about. The only thing I would consider an exception is Russia, and they consider themselves to be exceptions anyways.

myDick in your mouth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by myDick in your mouth » April 19th, 2006, 1:16 pm

lol. i think everyone knows pakistan is part of Asia. Technically they are asians. Im just saying ppl in america refer to "asians" as chinese/japanese/korean/vietnamese/etc... Thats just how it goes.

"Just because you mostly encouter "Oriental" Asians doesn't mean there aren't other Asians you don't know about." WTF are you talkin about. How do you kno about what kind of ppl i encounter I got mad middle eastern friends. i love lamb kabob.

And old shatterhead,
"I live in the USA and don't anyone under 60 that uses the term "oriental."

yea we dont use that term much in the united states. but for the sake of this thread seein how ppl in other parts of the world use the term "asians" a bit differently than us, the term oriental will come into good use.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » April 19th, 2006, 5:30 pm

mmmmm... laaamb.....

Indian style lamb is nice though, curry instead of grill. The kabob I think goes better with beef/chicken, but to each his own.

rummy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by rummy » May 9th, 2006, 10:10 am

And everyone should know that the word "PAKI" is a rascist term but some dick heads just don't understand.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 9th, 2006, 8:09 pm

rummy wrote:And everyone should know that the word "PAKI" is a rascist term but some dick heads just don't understand.
???
:shock:
Where are you from? I never met a Paki that took that offensively, and here they are really coming in.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » May 10th, 2006, 2:35 am

it depends on tone of voice sumone says "paki" in, u can tell if the person is saying it in a racist way.
Plus if a whiteboy or sumone says it to a brownman and they dnt know them, u kno thats racist. I'd take that shit to offence

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » May 10th, 2006, 3:19 am

Everyone is way too sensitive when it comes to race, a Paki is just short for Pakistani, get over it. I work with a black guy who is offneded by the word Negro, I told him it just means black, which is what he is, he states there is no such country as negroidia. I dont get offended when some calls me white, caucasian, european, cracker or peckerwood, seriously who gives a
shitt, get over these words as they are only used to describe ones race.

DC

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » May 10th, 2006, 3:26 am

You know how Damon Wayans is in a court battle to market his brand "nigga" i heard there was a guy in the UK who tried to do somethin simliar except with "Paki"

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » May 10th, 2006, 10:13 am

DC wrote:Everyone is way too sensitive when it comes to race, a Paki is just short for Pakistani, get over it. I work with a black guy who is offneded by the word Negro, I told him it just means black, which is what he is, he states there is no such country as negroidia. I dont get offended when some calls me white, caucasian, european, cracker or peckerwood, seriously who gives a
shitt, get over these words as they are only used to describe ones race.

DC
The word paki in racial terms is applied to any south asians, paki may be short for pakistani but then u cant call an indian a paki can u

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » May 10th, 2006, 5:23 pm

No thats why I said its short for Pakistani..

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » May 11th, 2006, 3:41 am

u dnt understand what im sayin

im sayin if ur not pakistani and u say paki to a pakistani or any south asian then its offensive.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 11th, 2006, 3:48 am

niro wrote:it depends on tone of voice sumone says "paki" in, u can tell if the person is saying it in a racist way.
Plus if a whiteboy or sumone says it to a brownman and they dnt know them, u kno thats racist. I'd take that shit to offence
I just saw you were in London so I guess it's more senseitive/tense there than in US.

So are you Paki?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 11th, 2006, 3:51 am

niro wrote:u dnt understand what im sayin

im sayin if ur not pakistani and u say paki to a pakistani or any south asian then its offensive.
How?
niro wrote:The word paki in racial terms is applied to any south asians, paki may be short for pakistani but then u cant call an indian a paki can u
I've never heard any other South Asian called Paki.

As for India, now you're getting into complex political stuff - really Pakistan and India is more of a political and sometimes religious issue.

For example desi can be either, along with many many other ethnic groups.

DC
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by DC » May 11th, 2006, 4:00 am

Paki, Curry Mucnher who gives a shitt..

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » May 11th, 2006, 4:04 am

DC wrote:Curry Mucnher
That actually does pass as racist.... even if denotatively it's neutral it's hard to believe that isn't meant as an insult.

niro
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niro » May 11th, 2006, 11:10 am

You'd understand what im sayin if u lived in UK cos theres shitload of south asians here.

When there were loads of racists and nationalists the word "paki" was used as a racist term on brown people, and still is by racists.

Any peeps here livin in UK can tell u the same

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » May 18th, 2006, 1:03 am

CAMBODIA ALL DAY.
8) 8) 8)
ya'll pakis.white dudes.whateverdhafuccs is all off topic.

fucc the KKK
^^^^
this has nothing to do with anything but i like sayin it