The Bridge--The Black Top Ten

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 1st, 2006, 12:16 pm

by D. James

Many of us have seen the reports and read the recent articles decrying the current state of Black men in America. And, we’ve heard Bill Cosby tell outright lies about the imprisonment rate of Black men.
According to all of the hype and propaganda, Black men are falling apart when compared to Black women.

But what some of us have not seen are the real numbers that are being misinterpreted to make things look far worse than they are.

It doesn’t surprise any of us who are aware and who understand history to see the media portray Black men as horrible people who just can’t get it together. That’s program has been consistent throughout our time in this nation.

But what continues to frustrate us is that far too many Blacks suck up the misinterpretations and pass them along without even checking to see what those depictions are based on.

I’ve done the Black Top Ten: Black Myths, but too many people, including America’s former favorite father, Bill Cosby are still passing BS around and passing it off as warm ice cream.

People, you need to stop eating it, because it’s just not good for you.

We hear that statistics can be manipulated and while that is true, the raw data reveals the truth without question.

In yet another Black Top Ten list, I’d like to dispel some additional Black myths.

Accordingly, these are the top ten things that Black people should stop saying about Black people:

1. "Most" Black men are in prison.

False. According to the Justice Policy Institute, there were 791,000 Black men in prison as of 2002. Out of nearly 40 million Blacks in America, does that sound like most? According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 12.6 percent of Black males age 25 to 29 are in prison. Does that sound like most? And, if anyone wants to assert that we are getting old and dying in prison, let's realize that only 4.5 percent of Black men age 45 to 54 are in prison. Again, that is not most.

2. Black women outnumber Black men by as much as 17 to 1 in college enrollment.

False. We know there are more Black women in college than Black men, but many of us also know that the same is true for whites. Instead of exaggerating hysterically, let's look at some real numbers. According to the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, in 2001, there were 1,095,000 Black women enrolled in institutions of higher education and "only" 604,000 Black men. Not quite as horrifying as people claim, is it? And, to place that number in further perspective, Black women outnumber Black men by 2 million in the first place.

3. Black women are far more likely to have completed college degrees than Black men.

False. According to the US Census, 17.5 percent of Black women have college degrees as opposed to 16.4 percent of Black men. More likely, but not "far" more likely.

4. More Black people use illegal drugs than whites.

False. In reality, there are more whites using illegal drugs than Blacks, yet, there are more Blacks in prison for drug offenses than whites. That tells a different tale from what Cosby and other demons who hate Black men tell. According to the Federal Household Survey, there were "an estimated 9.9 million whites (72 percent of all users), 2.0 million blacks (15 percent), and 1.4 million Hispanics (10 percent) who were current illicit drug users in 1998." Despite those figures, Blacks constitute 36.8 percent of those arrested for drug violations and over 42 percent of those in federal prisons for drug violations. African-Americans comprise almost 58 percent of those in state prisons for drug felonies.

5. More Black men are in prison for drug offenses, because more of them are convicted.

False. When comparing the number of convicted felons who actually get prison time, only thirty-three percent (33%) of convicted white defendants received a prison sentence, while 51% of African-American defendants received prison sentences. How can anyone still deny racism?

6. More Black women are working than Black men.

False. According to the US Census Bureau, 68.1% of all Black men over the age of 16 are in the civilian labor force, compared to 62.3% of Black women over the age of 16.

7. Black women are not really going to prison—only Black men.

False. When it comes to imprisonment rates, Black women aren’t faring that well, either. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, "Black females (with a prison and jail rate of 359 per 100,000) were 2-1/2 times more likely than Hispanic females (143 per 100,000) and nearly 41⁄2 times more likely than white females (81 per 100,000) to be incarcerated in 2004."

8. Immigrants are taking jobs that Blacks won’t do.

False. First, immigrants such as Koreans, when running businesses in predominantly Black communities, give jobs to other immigrants over Blacks. For example, while Blacks are 25 percent of the population in New York, only 5 percent of the employees in Korean-owned stores are Black. More than 33 percent are Hispanic immigrants. Typically, business owners prefer Hispanic immigrants because they are able to pay them lower than the minimum wage for longer hours. Our sad so-called Black leaders are so anxious to curry favor from the Hispanic community that this has basically been a non-issue. And, our displacement in employment by immigrants is nothing new. Take a look at our boom during World War I and II when immigration was limited and you will find a direct correlation to our displacement in a current climate of open borders.

9. Very few families in the Black community have two parents.

False. The latest census identified 9.1 million Black families, and 47 percent of those were married couple families.

10. The Black population is decreasing.

False. Between April of 2000 and July of 2002, the Black population increased by 1.2 million, which represents an increase of 3.3 percent. That rate is higher than the 2.5 increase of the population as a whole.

Okay, now there are the myths and the real stats to dispel them. Use them to stop the spread of ignorance, even if it has been spewing out of your very own mouth.

The next time you hear one of these myths, tell the offender that it may be warm and brown, but that ice cream doesn’t smell like that.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » July 3rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

PEACE X!! -Good, informative post.. Keep "makin' it plain" for 'em,
my beloved.. Also, "From Niggas to Gods" is a must read for the
brothas(you know which ones I refer to).. PEACE!

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » July 3rd, 2006, 5:37 pm

just one thing, im not hating on the article but its kinda funny you post this after all the arguement your the one saying that black men are the most imprisoned and are not going to college ect

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 3rd, 2006, 5:41 pm

ManifestTruth wrote:PEACE X!! -Good, informative post.. Keep "makin' it plain" for 'em,
my beloved.. Also, "From Niggas to Gods" is a must read for the
brothas(you know which ones I refer to).. PEACE!
Peace,

Does your pm box work? If so, hit me up and let's build outside of here without the silly interuptions. And no doubt "From Niggas to Gods" book 1 and 2 are must reads. And I know exactly which bruthas you speak of :wink: ...

And what you say? Keep "making it plain" huh? lol... Don't know other way..lol

Peace...

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 3rd, 2006, 8:02 pm

According to the US Census Bureau, 68.1% of all Black men over the age of 16 are in the civilian labor force, compared to 62.3% of Black women over the age of 16.
i thought 50% of all black people were unemployed according to blackmanofhonor.

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » July 4th, 2006, 2:01 am

se11 wrote:
According to the US Census Bureau, 68.1% of all Black men over the age of 16 are in the civilian labor force, compared to 62.3% of Black women over the age of 16.
i thought 50% of all black people were unemployed according to blackmanofhonor.
Take That! ahh none the less, good article X

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Good article

but one thing, weren't you earlier in favor of illegal immigration?
Our sad so-called Black leaders are so anxious to curry favor from the Hispanic community that this has basically been a non-issue. And, our displacement in employment by immigrants is nothing new. Take a look at our boom during World War I and II when immigration was limited and you will find a direct correlation to our displacement in a current climate of open borders.

KRDreJ
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KRDreJ » July 9th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Please don't bitch if an immigrant took your job..your fault finish school..go to college and if you can't afford it lots of programs around the U.S give you the money to go

I'm sick and tired of people owise blame other people for their mistakes and commitment of doing it.

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » July 9th, 2006, 9:46 pm

I'm sick and tired of people owise blame other people for their mistakes and commitment of doing it.

AMEN

Y.G.
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Y.G. » July 10th, 2006, 12:52 am

KRDreJ wrote:Please don't bitch if an immigrant took your job..your fault finish school..go to college and if you can't afford it lots of programs around the U.S give you the money to go

SO YOU TRIED THOSE PROGRAMS BEFORE? ITS NOT WHAT SEEMS BELIEVE ME I TRIED IT AND COULDN'T GET NO KINDA OF MONEY FOR SCHOOL AND HAD TO PAY OUT OF POCKETS. SECONDLY YOU DAMN RIGHT I AIN'T PICKING STRAWBERRIES AND BS LIKE FOR PENNIES MY ANCESTORS BUILT THIS COUNTRY FOR FREE FUCK THAT SHIT HOMIE.

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Location: "It is the racist who creates the inferior." fanon.

Unread post by black » July 10th, 2006, 2:18 am

Y.G. wrote: SO YOU TRIED THOSE PROGRAMS BEFORE? ITS NOT WHAT SEEMS BELIEVE ME I TRIED IT AND COULDN'T GET NO KINDA OF MONEY FOR SCHOOL AND HAD TO PAY OUT OF POCKETS. SECONDLY YOU DAMN RIGHT I AIN'T PICKING STRAWBERRIES AND BS LIKE FOR PENNIES MY ANCESTORS BUILT THIS COUNTRY FOR FREE fu-- THAT SHIT HOMIE.
lol them programs are a joke right. alot of times you have to take the student loan that's if they even give it to you and then if you get that you will be paying on that loan untill you turn 40.

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » July 10th, 2006, 2:23 am

KRDreJ wrote:Please don't bitch if an immigrant took your job..your fault finish school...
you didn't read the article immigrants aren't keeping blacks from getting jobs it's racism.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 10th, 2006, 8:22 pm

johnnyblack eye to eye wrote:
KRDreJ wrote:Please don't bitch if an immigrant took your job..your fault finish school...
you didn't read the article immigrants aren't keeping blacks from getting jobs it's racism.
I can't agree with that. Just because a group's population ratio doesn't match it's job ratio doesn't mean racism.

Did you notice the article never mentioned the percent of black who even applied for a job in Korean-owned stores in the first place????

Unless you have that we don't know anything statistically, and even then we would have to have a X^2 test for homogeneity (give me enough data and I will be happy to run the test in my calculator for you)

Now I will move from my statistical response to my more subjective, opinionated response:

And I know for a fact that a lot if not most Blacks punked, harrassed, and generally disrespected Koreans in general, and even more for Korean stores. Look at LA Riots! Those stores had nothing to do with cops or White racism, and since the article talked about Hispanics, Hispanics looted and destroyed Korean stores in LA the same as Blacks.

ManifestTruth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ManifestTruth » July 10th, 2006, 9:05 pm

PEACE X,

Try and link me on that PM option. Haven't had the fortune of reading
"Niggas to Gods II" yet. Blazing this book "Gray's Anatomy" presently.
What's more, East Coast living doesn't really afford it's inhabitants much
leisure time...

..Otherwise, good debate. Californians, specifically Angelenos, seem to
have a mountain of shit to climb.. Earthquakes, ethnic tensions, smog, and no rail system in a big ass city..lol, maybe the matrix is real after all..

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » July 11th, 2006, 4:05 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
johnnyblack eye to eye wrote: you didn't read the article immigrants aren't keeping blacks from getting jobs it's racism.
I can't agree with that. Just because a group's population ratio doesn't match it's job ratio doesn't mean racism. Did you notice the article never mentioned the percent of black who even applied for a job in Korean-owned stores in the first place????
dude it said korean owned stores in predominately black neighborhoods. if you refuse to hire a black person in korean owned store that's in a black neighborhood that's racsim. if refuse to hire a black person outside a black community based on a stereotype that's racism. if you refuse to hire a black college graduate over an immegrant with no college degree that's racism.

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Unless you have that we don't know anything statistically, and even then we would have to have a X^2 test for homogeneity (give me enough data and I will be happy to run the test in my calculator for you)

:roll:

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Now I will move from my statistical response to my more subjective, opinionated response:

And I know for a fact that a lot if not most Blacks punked, harrassed, and generally disrespected Koreans in general, and even more for Korean stores. Look at LA Riots! Those stores had nothing to do with cops or White racism, and since the article talked about Hispanics, Hispanics looted and destroyed Korean stores in LA the same as Blacks
I don't know what this has to do with anything.

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » July 11th, 2006, 6:36 am

KRDreJ wrote:Please don't bitch if an immigrant took your job..your fault finish school..go to college and if you can't afford it lots of programs around the U.S give you the money to go

*Not everyone should have to go to college, in order find employment. That is a weak argument. How about if someone found fulfillment in being a laborer, or something that didn't require a four year degree. Folks who use this argument do so, in order to squash any dissension, or arguments against illegal immigration.

And the funny thing about this is, many mexicans who are U.S. citizens, who use such arguments (college education and all)-DON'T HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE THEMSELVES!

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » July 11th, 2006, 6:36 am

Christina Marie wrote:

AMEN
*BS! It all depends on the context of where that fool was coming from...

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 11th, 2006, 1:11 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
johnnyblack eye to eye wrote: you didn't read the article immigrants aren't keeping blacks from getting jobs it's racism.
I can't agree with that. Just because a group's population ratio doesn't match it's job ratio doesn't mean racism. Did you notice the article never mentioned the percent of black who even applied for a job in Korean-owned stores in the first place????
dude it said korean owned stores in predominately black neighborhoods. if you refuse to hire a black person in korean owned store that's in a black neighborhood that's racsim. if refuse to hire a black person outside a black community based on a stereotype that's racism. if you refuse to hire a black college graduate over an immegrant with no college degree that's racism.
So what? Did it ever say they refused to hire him? No, BECAUSE IT DIDN"T SAY THE PERCENTAGE OF BLACK PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY APPLIED.

Watch:
For example, while Blacks are 25 percent of the population in New York, only 5 percent of the employees in Korean-owned stores are Black.
Because it didn't say how many applied, it's possible that each and every single black person who applied for a job in a Korean-owned store got the job.

All your talk about stereotyping means nothing with your incomplete facts

But it seems you don't know enough about statistics to understand chi-squared tests.

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » July 11th, 2006, 3:41 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:So what? Did it ever say they refused to hire him? No, BECAUSE IT DIDN"T SAY THE PERCENTAGE OF BLACK PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY APPLIED.

Watch:
For example, while Blacks are 25 percent of the population in New York, only 5 percent of the employees in Korean-owned stores are Black.
Because it didn't say how many applied, it's possible that each and every single black person who applied for a job in a Korean-owned store got the job.

5% were black 33% hispanic. 33% > 5%

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 11th, 2006, 7:11 pm

i can believe everything posted in that article.

KRDreJ
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KRDreJ » July 12th, 2006, 12:16 pm

TheReal wrote:

*Not everyone should have to go to college, in order find employment. That is a weak argument. How about if someone found fulfillment in being a laborer, or something that didn't require a four year degree. Folks who use this argument do so, in order to squash any dissension, or arguments against illegal immigration.

And the funny thing about this is, many mexicans who are U.S. citizens, who use such arguments (college education and all)-DON'T HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE THEMSELVES!
I don't have a college degree but you don't see me bitching if a white, black, asian took my job cause that is really weak if you blame other people on your mistakes...

Not saying all blacks be bitching about jobs.. no no no.. This goes to all races when you blame others for not having a job is just pathetic.. and useless and won't get you nowhere in life..

Like the old saying.. bitching, crying won't get you what you want.. We are not kids anymore so everyone should grow up instead of playing the blame game..

And where you come from or how your coming from should not matter I've seen poor disadvantage people rise to the top for using their brain and taking advantage of oppurtunitys

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 29th, 2006, 5:52 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:So what? Did it ever say they refused to hire him? No, BECAUSE IT DIDN"T SAY THE PERCENTAGE OF BLACK PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY APPLIED.

Watch:

How many black people are on Russia's figure skating team? How many black people tried out for Russia's figure skating team?

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » November 26th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Bump

SniperSVD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SniperSVD » November 26th, 2006, 11:02 pm

black wrote:
Y.G. wrote: SO YOU TRIED THOSE PROGRAMS BEFORE? ITS NOT WHAT SEEMS BELIEVE ME I TRIED IT AND COULDN'T GET NO KINDA OF MONEY FOR SCHOOL AND HAD TO PAY OUT OF POCKETS. SECONDLY YOU DAMN RIGHT I AIN'T PICKING STRAWBERRIES AND BS LIKE FOR PENNIES MY ANCESTORS BUILT THIS COUNTRY FOR FREE fu-- THAT SHIT HOMIE.
lol them programs are a joke right. alot of times you have to take the student loan that's if they even give it to you and then if you get that you will be paying on that loan untill you turn 40.
that is some sour grapes shit if i ever read it, there is gov. grants that will help you get money for school if you are un able to pay for it...
if you have to commit a minor felony and get your proby ossifer to help you find the path to enlightenment.
and the funny thing about people complaining about their ancestors,,, they say ancestors because they have no direct path to conclude that they were infact actually breed from slaves.
quit copping out and quit making excuses,, i believe this and tell myself every day, lead from the front. damnit blaze a trail and blaze some haze.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » November 26th, 2006, 11:04 pm

blaze some haze
Already did maybe ten minutes ago...

SniperSVD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SniperSVD » November 26th, 2006, 11:19 pm

BlaKK wrote:
blaze some haze
Already did maybe ten minutes ago...
im out, dro.
i need to rescource some information on indoor growing.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » November 26th, 2006, 11:56 pm

My whole damn house is over here smellin like fruit, nigga, this sensi is potent; have a nigga coughin before he even smoke it.

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » November 27th, 2006, 12:43 pm

KRDreJ wrote:
TheReal wrote:

I don't have a college degree but you don't see me bitching if a white, black, asian took my job cause that is really weak if you blame other people on your mistakes...

Not saying all blacks be bitching about jobs.. no no no.. This goes to all races when you blame others for not having a job is just pathetic.. and useless and won't get you nowhere in life..

Like the old saying.. bitching, crying won't get you what you want.. We are not kids anymore so everyone should grow up instead of playing the blame game..

And where you come from or how your coming from should not matter I've seen poor disadvantage people rise to the top for using their brain and taking advantage of oppurtunitys
*Look man, I'm not saying that folks ought to "bitch" about other groups taking their jobs (at least unjustifiably); or for that matter, that wasn't, and isn't the main impetus of the post you're responding to. The point that I'm making, or what I'm addressing now, is that BS logic that tells black folks that they ought not look at the discrimination that they receive from employers, when these employers overlook them, for illegals, or just because they're black, because in the end, black folks should want to go to college, or a university, in order to better themselves. I jump on this sophist position because the reality of the matter is, NOT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE, IN ORDER TO SECURE EMPLOYMENT WITH A LIVEABLE WAGE!!

What? So are you folks saying that black folks ought to become a white collar class of people??? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but this requirement, or standard, even though it appears to be benign, isn't hardly required of no other group!

Truth be told, this standard, and attack, used against black folks and their angst concerning the decimation of their working class throughout the southwest, because of illegals, is foisted upon us in order to pacify our indignation and wrath. It is also trotted out there to blame a segment of black folks, who may aspire towards being a carpenter, a roofer, a plumber, etc.-as having ambitions and goals of a peon, a pauper, and a fool.

Being a lawyer, a doctor, and an engineer, are noble professions, if that is your choice; and there ought not be any unfair impediments to anyone participating in those professions. Likewise, being a carpenter/construction worker, garbage man, plumber, etc., are noble professions, and there ought not be any unfair impediments insofar as participating in those professions-just because of illegal immigrants!

SniperSVD
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SniperSVD » November 27th, 2006, 2:22 pm

i don't think the whole race should up and just change itself to be a white collar class,, that is simply not going to happen with any racial group.
but to be unsatisfied with the current standards, changes need to be made to break the mold, examples need to be made and no one should stop until shit really is equal.
oh and its damn near impossible to find jobs that pay good enough to live on fairly, with out having college, or illegal mexican or polish..(chicago)
im white and can't go into a factory with my hs diploma and get a job... it just won't work, mex, and polish will do it cheaper... which is common belief and that blacks won't do it at all.

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » November 27th, 2006, 3:09 pm

SniperSVD wrote:i don't think the whole race should up and just change itself to be a white collar class,, that is simply not going to happen with any racial group.
but to be unsatisfied with the current standards, changes need to be made to break the mold, examples need to be made and no one should stop until shit really is equal.
oh and its damn near impossible to find jobs that pay good enough to live on fairly, with out having college, or illegal mexican or polish..(chicago)
im white and can't go into a factory with my hs diploma and get a job... it just won't work, mex, and polish will do it cheaper... which is common belief and that blacks won't do it at all.
*I know plenty of individuals (whether they be black, white, or whatever), especially in the midwest, down south, and along the eastern seabord states, which includes the south-who don't have any college degree whatsoever, but do possess a high school diploma, and are making solid liveable wages, doing blue collar work.

Now mind you, many of the blue collar jobs these folks do, either require a trade/vocational school education, whereas many of them don't.

And as far as the spurious belief that black folks won't do blue-collar labor work, that is simply not true. If you were to go down south, or any southern state, along the eastern seaboard, you will notice that the overwhelming majority of your service industry jobs, as well as blue collar work (despite an increase in illegal immigration) are still being done by black folks. However, if you lived in the southwest, or parts of the midwest, you would think that not only don't blacks engage in such work, BUT CAN'T DO SUCH WORK!

Just ask any white, or hispanic person, whose ventured to the state of VA, NC, GA, etc,-and you will still see blacks doing those jobs.

All that talk about black folks not doing those types of jobs are mythological red-herring arguments that are thrown out there, to hasten us away from the issue at hand, as well as to perpetually besmirch black folks character.

TheReal
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TheReal » November 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm

SniperSVD wrote: im white and can't go into a factory with my hs diploma and get a job....
What type of factory job were you applying for?

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » November 27th, 2006, 5:07 pm

black wrote:

Watch:

You're not paying attention to how it's worded. It's saying that hispanics make up 33% of the employees while blacks make up 5%. Now lets say there's 100 employees. 33 are hispanic and 5 are black. Follow me so far? Now, let's say of those 5 hired, ONLY 5 applied, how is that racist? It's not, they hired all that applied. Now if you say 1000 blacks applied and only 5 were hired, you might have a case. All that was being said was that you can't claim it's racist if black people make up 5% if you don't know how many black people actually APPLIED. It's all a numbers game.