what is race?

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

what is race?

Unread post by king phoenix » March 3rd, 2007, 9:00 pm

Does any one here know what race really is?
i mean you haves ome hispanic people with no color to them, but they're not white! you have people that are black but are lighter than a tan white person, so what really defines race?

Hell
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Hell » March 3rd, 2007, 9:05 pm

^ Together As One In Their Own Ethnics.

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 3rd, 2007, 9:36 pm

honestly i think you went over my head with that one! can you explain what your sayin ?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » March 3rd, 2007, 9:58 pm

Races do not exist.The term is a political conception.

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » March 4th, 2007, 7:46 am

a race is usually a competition between two parties, it can be electorial where the two parties bid for votes, or between 2 cars racing down aq racetrack. The goal on the race track is to finish first, and the goal in a election is to win the most votes.

i hope this helps 8)

Hell
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Hell » March 4th, 2007, 9:11 am

king phoenix wrote:honestly i think you went over my head with that one! can you explain what your sayin ?
An ethnic group.

looneytunes1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by looneytunes1 » March 4th, 2007, 10:13 am

Pheonix over here trying to kick some knowledge and BS ....lol... :lol:

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 5th, 2007, 1:08 pm

lol

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 5th, 2007, 1:12 pm

ok so what should we consider a half black, half white male, who's birth certifacate says white, but is considered black, and looks puerto rican! i mean what is he really, besides mentally fu$$ed up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » March 6th, 2007, 8:29 am

king phoenix wrote:ok so what should we consider a half black, half white male, who's birth certifacate says white, but is considered black, and looks puerto rican! i mean what is he really, besides mentally fu$$ed up! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good question...In the first place id say a human.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » March 6th, 2007, 6:03 pm

i thnk race is like - negro
hespanic
caucasian
w.e the rest is

if u half...u half....who the fuck thinks half white n black people look puerto rican..woow there is a huge difference
but yea half is half

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 7th, 2007, 12:56 pm

well, being that i was actually describing myself, i would say that damn near everybody i run into mistakes me for puerto rican! matter fact i have learned spanish over time from people consistantly speaking it to me!

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » March 7th, 2007, 1:01 pm

The term race serves to distinguish between populations or groups of people based on different sets of characteristics which is commonly determined through social conventions. The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color, facial features and hair texture), genes, and self-identification. Conceptions of race, as well as specific racial groupings, vary by culture and over time, and are often controversial, for scientific reasons as well as because of their impact on social identity and identity politics. Most biological and social scientists regard the concept of race primarily as a social construct, while some maintain it has a genetic basis.
As for the "mixed" and "Hispanic" -
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... e_plot.png
Triangle plot shows average admixture of five North American ethnic groups. Individuals that self-identify with each group can be found at many locations on the map, but on average groups tend to cluster differently.
Genetic data can be used to infer population structure and assign individuals to groups that often correspond with their self-identified geographical ancestry.

The inference of population structure from multilocus genotyping depends on the selection of a large number of informative genetic markers. These studies usually find that groups of humans living on the same continent are more similar to one another than to groups living on different continents. Many such studies are criticized for assigning group identity a priori. However, even if group identity is stripped and group identity assigned a posteriori using only genetic data, population structure can still be inferred. For example, using 377 markers, Rosenberg et al. (2002) were able to assign 1,056 individuals from 52 populations around the globe to one of six genetic clusters, of which five correspond to major geographic regions.

However, in analyses that assign individuals to groups it becomes less apparent that self-described racial groups are reliable indicators of ancestry. One cause of the reduced power of the assignment of individuals to groups is admixture. Some racial or ethnic groups, especially Hispanic groups, do not have homogenous ancestry. For example, self-described African Americans tend to have a mix of West African and European ancestry. Shriver et al. (2003) found that on average African Americans have ~80% African ancestry. Also, in a survey of college students who self-identified as “white” in a northeastern U.S. university, ~30% of whites had less than 90% European ancestry.

louloutte

Unread post by louloutte » March 10th, 2007, 5:39 am

Sentenza wrote:Races do not exist.The term is a political conception.
I think you're right...
For me, the term of "race" is for animals and not human beings. I think we can say population talking about the different color in this world. Race looks really negative in my opinion.

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Noog » March 13th, 2007, 5:27 am

Sentanza has it right.

Race is a myth - a political construction
It goes like this - a millenia ago, there were different species of human being, i.e. different races - examples were Neandertal, Cro-maganon and a host of earlier ones and latest of all, us lot, Homo Sapiens - Homo Sapiens started off in what was most likely to be the Etheopia/central Africa of today - and migrated all over, melolin and features changing over millenia to adapt to various geographic and climatic variations...

The last other species/race to exist at the same time as Homo Sapiens were Neandertals - they became extinct tens of thousands of years ago - some say it was because they couldn't compete with Homo Sapiens because us lot had much more advanced language skills and we could also use tools better - and essentially, we used symbols and therefore, were better at organising and beginning to use spirituality and culture...some say we just wiped Neandertals off the face of the earth.

In a nutshell then, Homo Sapiens are the only remaining species of human being on earth - within Homo Sapiens there are distinct cultures and ethnicities i.e. distinct colours etc - colour is a geographical thing over thousands and thousands of years - incresing/decresing melolin in skin is nuttin more or less than sorting out protection from the sun.

RAcists hate the truth, but we are the same race, the same human family and gloriously different...Viva la difference
Peace

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » March 13th, 2007, 5:29 am

yea i agree with noog the different races inthe world represent the difference in geography, whereas those differences create different languages, tools etc making distinct cultures...

punamusta
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Alabama
What city do you live in now?: see above

Unread post by punamusta » March 13th, 2007, 5:49 am

louloutte wrote:
Sentenza wrote:Races do not exist.The term is a political conception.
I think you're right...
For me, the term of "race" is for animals and not human beings. I think we can say population talking about the different color in this world. Race looks really negative in my opinion.
Indeed. Using a "race" word when speaking of humans sounds very negative and stupid. Here in my country people don't use "race" word at all when speaking of humans, only when talking about like dogs or other animals.
Noog wrote:Sentanza has it right.

Race is a myth - a political construction
It goes like this - a millenia ago, there were different species of human being, i.e. different races - examples were Neandertal, Cro-maganon and a host of earlier ones and latest of all, us lot, Homo Sapiens - Homo Sapiens started off in what was most likely to be the Etheopia/central Africa of today - and migrated all over, melolin and features changing over millenia to adapt to various geographic and climatic variations...

The last other species/race to exist at the same time as Homo Sapiens were Neandertals - they became extinct tens of thousands of years ago - some say it was because they couldn't compete with Homo Sapiens because us lot had much more advanced language skills and we could also use tools better - and essentially, we used symbols and therefore, were better at organising and beginning to use spirituality and culture...some say we just wiped Neandertals off the face of the earth.

In a nutshell then, Homo Sapiens are the only remaining species of human being on earth - within Homo Sapiens there are distinct cultures and ethnicities i.e. distinct colours etc - colour is a geographical thing over thousands and thousands of years - incresing/decresing melolin in skin is nuttin more or less than sorting out protection from the sun.

RAcists hate the truth, but we are the same race, the same human family and gloriously different...Viva la difference
Peace
100% true.

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » March 13th, 2007, 6:44 am

mabye homo sapians and neanderthals were beefing the same way we beef now lol :lol:

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » March 13th, 2007, 6:53 am

Good read, these neanderthals sound like tanks....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthals
The idea that Neanderthals lacked complex language was widespread, despite concerns about the accuracy of reconstructions of the Neanderthal vocal tract, until 1983, when a Neanderthal hyoid bone was found at the Kebara Cave in Israel. The hyoid is a small bone that connects the musculature of the tongue and the larynx, and by bracing these structures against each other, allows a wider range of tongue and laryngeal movements than would otherwise be the case. Therefore, it seems to imply the presence of anatomical conditions for speech to occur. The bone that was found is virtually identical to that of modern humans
[img]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5976 ... ngeis5.jpg
[/img]

Also they found evidence of a midget (short person) race in the ocianic countries, cant remember which island. But these folks were like four feet tall.

I have a feeling that neanderthals and homosapians have a common ancestor that we havent discovered yet.... might be worng

johnnnny
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by johnnnny » March 13th, 2007, 6:54 am

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » March 13th, 2007, 8:21 am

dont_fear
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Great topic

Unread post by dont_fear » March 13th, 2007, 4:24 pm

One thing i know for sure is that race has nothing to do with color.

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » March 13th, 2007, 5:42 pm

justice league wrote:here is one answer

http://www.answers.com/topic/race-1

and another....

http://www.genomicart.org/genome-chap5.htm

and my personal favorite....

http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/stalkers/jpr01.html

this one is pretty cool...

i just read all of these and the only thing im sure of is that scientist dont know what race is either

http://www.answers.com/topic/races-of-c ... thropology

tray36
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: fayetteville

Re: what is race?

Unread post by tray36 » October 27th, 2008, 11:20 pm

ther is no race ther is just one human family the original man and woman who were dark black every other so-called race is just different variations of the one main color black .dont belive me do the research

razbojnik
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Belize Nicaragua

Re:

Unread post by razbojnik » November 4th, 2008, 12:17 pm

A spicies of human that asks philosophical questions like this.