When all is said, 'Passion' is just a movie...

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
stateraised2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

When all is said, 'Passion' is just a movie...

Unread post by stateraised2000 » March 5th, 2004, 1:44 am

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS ARTICLE THAT WAS IN TODAYS LONG BEACH PRESS TELEGRAM?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has become my fantasy: The heavens suddenly open and a great, booming voice says:

"Hey, folks, it's just a movie.'

I am referring, of course, to Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ.'

An emotion-stirring film? You bet. Popcorn sales must be way off.

But it is just that a film. It is not Armageddon, the Reformation or the American Civil War, as the level of debate suggests.

The main objections to the film are the claims that it is anti- Semitic and too violent.

Let's consider those claims.

Reviewing the film last week, I had said it was profoundly moving. Five readers responded by calling the film and me anti- Semitic. At least one had not seen the film. It was enough for him that others had said it was anti- Semitic.

The review, in fact, had addressed the anti-Semitism claim. Saying the film was, in the main, essentially true to history, I had written:

"In retrospect, those protests, made as early as last fall, may have been a mistake. I had come away from years of Catholic upbringing with the belief, correct or not, that the Romans were the principal villains. I never thought much about Jews as (Christ's) murderers until some Jewish spokesmen themselves brought the matter up.' Too much blood

The other main criticism, even by some people who approve the film, is that it is too bloody.

Before Gibson's film, it may be that we had been conditioned to a sanitized, Hollywood Christ; perhaps Jeffrey Hunter delivering the Sermon on the Mount, or the "Ben-Hur' Christ whose face we never see, let alone his suffering.

After the battle of Tarawa in 1943, the government allowed photos of dead American servicemen to be seen for the first time. People were outraged by what they saw. The White House received mail calling Franklin Roosevelt a murderer. What in the world did those people think had been going on?

Similarly, what do people think went on in Jerusalem? The Gospels, historically inaccurate though they may be, provided some sense of what had happened. Thus, Gibson's hard-to-watch film, drawn in great part from those Gospels, should have come as no great surprise.

And for professional critics and other Hollywood types to condemn "The Passion's' violence is hypocrisy. Where have they been? From the 1974 gore feast "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' to the current "Kill Bill,' Hollywood has pushed the envelope on violence for a generation with nary an objection from some of the biggest-name critics in the business. Other elements

I think there are a couple of factors at play here. First, the media, unconsciously or not, often seems to look down on organized religion, and anything tenuously associated with it, such as Gibson's movie.

Second, Gibson has proved himself to be one smart businessman. He sank $30 million of his own money into the film, then craftily marketed it, partly with pre-release screenings for church audiences.

In short, he out-marketed the Hollywood marketers. And Hollywood never takes kindly to being outsmarted.

If I were Gibson's adviser, as if he needs one, I would now suggest he follow "The Passion of the Christ' with a prequel: "The Life of Christ.'

Let's see the critics try to fool around with that. Tom Hennessy's viewpoint appears Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. He can be reached at (562) 499-1270 or by e-mail at Scribe17@aol.com

Noog
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Re: When all is said, 'Passion' is just a movie...

Unread post by Noog » May 6th, 2004, 9:24 am

Intelligent threat .....

I saw the film and thought it fetishized suffering and death and though I had a lump in my throat the size of a football, my critical faculties couldn't help but kick in!

YUP, for Mel to be (ha ha) redeemed, I think that he might be wise to follow the suggestion that he makes a follow up film called the life of Christ.

Christ is my number one revolutionary, redemption giving, liberating hero - plus he has the cool credentials of being the divinr incarnate! But I hate seeing my hero turnd into something apart form the most revolutionary blood who ever walked the planet. I hate the cheesy, brill creamed, big haired, flashy trashy, dumbed own bible bely type christianity and I also hate forms which are like fossils, like Mel's Dad's version of catholisism.

At the end of the day - The Passion is a film, just that. And I bet that popcorn sales have gone nuclear!

sexy_blonde_69
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by sexy_blonde_69 » June 19th, 2004, 9:00 pm

Noog wrote:Intelligent threat .....

I saw the film and thought it fetishized suffering and death and though I had a lump in my throat the size of a football, my critical faculties couldn't help but kick in!

YUP, for Mel to be (ha ha) redeemed, I think that he might be wise to follow the suggestion that he makes a follow up film called the life of Christ.

Christ is my number one revolutionary, redemption giving, liberating hero - plus he has the cool credentials of being the divinr incarnate! But I hate seeing my hero turnd into something apart form the most revolutionary blood who ever walked the planet. I hate the cheesy, brill creamed, big haired, flashy trashy, dumbed own bible bely type christianity and I also hate forms which are like fossils, like Mel's Dad's version of catholisism.

At the end of the day - The Passion is a film, just that. And I bet that popcorn sales have gone nuclear!

the passion isnt just a film its a great movie and it teaches you things it makes you rethink life and everything

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 8th, 2004, 11:33 pm

Its a mockery of our lord king and Saviour Jesus Christ Period!!!! The Lord said if you dont admit that Christ came in the flesh your of the spirit of Anti-Christ in 1st John 4;2-3. So if he came in the flesh that flesh had a color. Anyone not admitting that Christ was a man of Color and saying it didnt matter, you fit into this catergory

LinozMami
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by LinozMami » August 29th, 2004, 3:48 pm

As for the big controversy about what Christs skin looked like. Well look where he was born and raised, of course he wasnt the textbook "white" person like in all the paintings.
Anyway that Movie Passion of the Christ, I saw it and it made me much more appreciative of what he did for me. Since I believe in Jesus, it made me see him in a new light. He was human. All that violence, it really happened so why hide it. I think tip-toeing around the violence that led to his crucifiction would be disrespectful to Jesus.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 3rd, 2005, 11:41 am

Jesus wasnt white at all

and if it didnt matter what color he was,why not put him like he really was (a man of color)

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » February 3rd, 2005, 1:09 pm

and what would change then?

ChAoS
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by ChAoS » February 3rd, 2005, 2:19 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:Jesus wasnt white at all

and if it didnt matter what color he was,why not put him like he really was (a man of color)
what makes you think that

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 4th, 2005, 6:29 am

The saddest thing about that movie is that it repeats that stupid lie that the jews killed jesus uncritically.
All the hate on jews, the holocaust and everything is/was based on that lie and i hate that some stupid fucks out there still believe that shit.

And you are right stateraised, a movie about the life of jesus would have made more sense to me than a movie about his death.

Soldier
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Soldier » February 4th, 2005, 11:19 pm

You say the passion of the christ fetishized the violence and brutality of what Christ went through. But keep in mind that Mel is Catholic. The Passion is one of the mysteries that we meditate on in prayer. The whole point of the movie was to show what he went through at that period of time. And all he experienced through that time was violence and brutality. But I really like the ending. It ended with hope, as it should.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 5th, 2005, 1:25 pm

ChAoS wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:Jesus wasnt white at all

what makes you think that

he was born 2000 years ago in the middle east.The bible itself says he had hair like wool(like me) and skin the color of bronze.

if color didnt matter,then you would make him more arab looking,which is probably how he looked.Why would you make him white,when he clearly wasnt.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 5th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Sentenza wrote:and what would change then?

it would be a more realistic portrayal of jesus.If I made a movie about ancient china,and made everyone in the movie black,that would take a whole lot of seriousness away from the movie.It wouldnt make sense.

the root of the matter is alot of whites just dont like the fact that thier ''savior'' is a man of color.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 5th, 2005, 7:22 pm

well i am white and i dont have a problem with it.
Yes, Jesus was coloured, not african black though. He was a Palestinian and defintely NOT european looking. Can we agree on that?

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Sentenza » February 5th, 2005, 7:37 pm

buit yea, theoretically he could have been black....

Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Mraka » February 7th, 2005, 12:48 pm

He should definetly have looked like his ancestours and one of them was king David.
Kemosave should know if his (Davids)*looking is described in the bible.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » March 4th, 2005, 9:11 am

[quote="Sentenza"]The saddest thing about that movie is that it repeats that stupid lie that the jews killed jesus uncritically.
All the hate on jews, the holocaust and everything is/was based on that lie and i hate that some stupid fucks out there still believe that shit.

And you are right stateraised, a movie about the life of jesus would have made more sense to me than a movie about his death.[/quote]

I agree i am Jewish and it sucks when christians come up to me and say that i murdered jesus

As for Mel Gibson's movies, Lethal Weapon BraveHeart and now the Passion, why does someone gets tortured?

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 4th, 2005, 9:32 am

ummmm yeah that depiction of Jesus (yeshua) was true to life as far as the language goes, color-wise ummmm no? that guy looked liked tom hanks on cast away. needless to say the guy didnt exist n e way

Jesus/Yeshua ben Pandira - Fictional Characters

The entire story of "jesus" is a deliberate perversion of the story of Ausar, Auset and Heru (Osiris, Isis, and Horus)

Let me begin with the proper etymology of the name jesus/hesus/yeshua. Many of us know the letter 'j' entered the english alphabet in the 1600s. The latin and so-called hebrew way of pronouncing the name is what's relevant here, to with "hesus/yeshua". Of course, those who speak spanish say "hesus".

The greeks and later romans took one of the forms of the God Heru from ancient Kamit and corrupted His name into 'hesus'. The form of the hawk-headed Deity Heru that they corrupted was that of "Khensu".

"Khensu" is often written "Khons" or "Khonsu". This is as misleading as writing the name of God, 'Amen' as 'Ammon' or 'Amon'. This was done by the white egyptologists and others in order to conceal the fact that 'Amen/Amin' in
christianity/hebrewism/islam comes from the God Amen (Amen Ra). The same goes for writing "Khensu" as "Khonsu".

The 'kh' metut/hieroglyphic symbol in the name is often
interchangeable in the language of Kamit with the metut/symbol
for 'sh'. In the Twi (Akan) language we have the same sound and it is written "hy". In both languages (Kamit & AKan), the meaning is the same. The 'kh' in Khensu, is pronounced similarly. 'Khensu' thus becomes 'Shensu', 'Tchensu', 'Jensu', 'Yeshu', 'Hesu-s' in greek. The 'n' in the name is nasal, as it is in Twi.

"Khensu" is a hawk-headed Divinity, and as a form of Heru, He is the son of Auset and Ausar. Does His name indicate this? Yes. "Kh" or "Khi" in the language of Kamit means "child". "Nsu" (nesu) means "Divine, royal, King, King of Southern Kamit". 'Nsu' is the title of the King (Per aa, Pharoah). It is the first part of 'Nesubat' (nsubat), meaning "king of the south and north". Kh-nsu, Khi-nsu, thus means "Divine royal child". 'Heru' or 'Khensu Heru' is the Divine royal child born of Auset and Ausar. He was born to become King.

The whites and their offspring used the descriptive title of the God Heru (Khensu) and corrupted it into "Khensus, Shensus, Shesu, Yeshu, Hesus", and in english 'jesus'. You must hear the pronunciations of 'Khensu' (Tchensu--Tchay-nsoo) and 'Yeshu' (Jay/Yay-soo) and 'Hesus' (Hay-soos) together, and you will see the connection.

I'm assuming you all know the story of Ausar, Auset and Heru. But briefly, the God Ausar and the Goddess Auset were King and Queen in Kamit. Their brother, the God Set was jealous of Ausar and murdered Him. He took Ausar's body and threw it in the river. Auset was then removed from power and Set took over the rule of the country, reigning as a tyrant. Auset searched tirelessly for the body of Her Husband. When She found Him She performed ritual. Through ritual, the Spirit of the God Ausar came to Auset, and through Their Divine spiritual union Auset became pregnant with Heru (Khensu).

Of course, this is the origin of the story of Auset Merit (Mary)
being impregnated by the Holy Spirit of God the Father (Ausar) and conceiving the Son of God (Khensu/Hesus/Jesus). Auset was told by Tehuti (the God of Wisdom) that Heru would grow strong and defeat the rule of Set. Tehuti then directed Auset to hide in the swamps of North Kamit to raise the child in secret. Set (the red-evil one) was corrupted by the whites into Set-an/Satan/Shaitan, the red devil. He sought to kill Khensu Heru, because he knew that of the prophecy that Heru would grow to defeat Him and restore the kingdom of His Father Ausar.

I.e., this is the origin of mary going to northern egypt with "jesus" to avoid the wrath of the evil king who sought to kill all newborn boys. It is also the origin of the 'angel' gabriel coming to mary and telling her that she would give birth to the sun/son of god.

Death and resurrection of Khensu Heru. (See the Metternich Stele) Auset comes to find Heru has been stabbed by one of Set's associates. She embraces the body of Her Son and laments. Her Sister, the Goddess Nebt Het laments with Her. Another Goddess, Serqet, tells Auset to call on Ra in Heaven. Auset calls on Ra. Ra sends Tehuti down from Heaven to facilitate the resurrection of Heru. Heru goes on to defeat Set and take over the rule of the world. Heru, Auset, and Nebt Het then resurrect Ausar.

I.e., Khensu (Hesus) has been murdered. The two Marys (Auset Merit and Nebt Het Merit) are there to embrace the body of the dead Son of God. The "angel of the Lord" (NOT gabriel/TEHUTI) comes to tell the two Marys (as the song goes "mary(s) don't you weep". Khensu (Hesus) is resurrected.

Anyone who studies the story of Ausar, Auset and Heru in detail will see the absolute forgery of christianity, islam and hebrewism.

- SOURCE: Kwesi Ra Nehem Akhan

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 5th, 2005, 1:59 pm

GottaLoveLA wrote:
Sentenza wrote:The saddest thing about that movie is that it repeats that stupid lie that the jews killed jesus uncritically.

And you are right stateraised, a movie about the life of jesus would have made more sense to me than a movie about his death.
I agree i am Jewish and it sucks when christians come up to me and say that i murdered jesus

As for Mel Gibson's movies, Lethal Weapon BraveHeart and now the Passion, why does someone gets tortured?
isn't this sort of the way blacks today can come up to whites and say they are responsible for slavery? they want you to take responsibility for something your people did in the past to their people in the past?

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » March 5th, 2005, 2:10 pm

ive met many christians in my life and about i dunno 2% said that
i or some jew i never met killed jesus in some way

i dont hate them though

they were just confused and stupid and you cant hate for that

purplecityhello
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by purplecityhello » March 5th, 2005, 2:54 pm

hey how about read my above post? umm no. well ok

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » March 5th, 2005, 3:06 pm

GottaLoveLA wrote:ive met many christians in my life and about i dunno 2% said that
i or some jew i never met killed jesus in some way

i dont hate them though

they were just confused and stupid and you cant hate for that
i am christian and think that those people who blame present day jews for things are just confused. the religion is suppose to not preach hate, but i think these guys hating and looking down on jews are doing just that. i don't mind the jewish people or anything about them. i don't blame them as a people for what happened 2000 years ago.

GottaLoveLA
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by GottaLoveLA » March 7th, 2005, 7:46 pm

purplecity i read it i just dont know how much i believe in it

pretty cool though

jae
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by jae » March 23rd, 2005, 12:15 pm

to me, it was a great movie, very uhm....impacting. i was amzed at how a completely packed theatre could walk out so quiestly at the end. you could hear a pin drop, and so the movie did a good job with affecting people. many people became religious afterwords, because SOO MANY people have to see it to beleieve it, sadly enough, but none the less, i've always been inspired by jesus chirst. he stood up for what he believed in at all cost, and so i tip my hat to that brotha. we should all be inspired to be that positive, and strong in our faith.

and i agree with someone here, who said he should make a movie about how christ lived, instead of how he died as well. because it's like they say, they journey is more important than the destination.

DuarteESiderSGVX3
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by DuarteESiderSGVX3 » March 26th, 2005, 10:41 am

i dont think jesus was white