DNA test

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
Post Reply
robocop
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 11th, 2007, 7:57 am

DNA test

Unread post by robocop » July 11th, 2007, 8:55 am

Has anbody had one?
I did one only for my fathers side. I was not happy.
What are some good companies that do this.

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 3926
Joined: December 20th, 2005, 4:42 pm
Location: Bx,ny-(secor houses) 2 bmore

Unread post by Qdawg » July 11th, 2007, 10:40 am

holla at maury..thats the most well known dna company homeboy

Anesis
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 286
Joined: February 5th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Unread post by Anesis » July 11th, 2007, 10:45 am

Are you talking about the DNA tests that trace your ancestry? Or just parental DNA?

robocop
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 11th, 2007, 7:57 am

Unread post by robocop » July 11th, 2007, 8:35 pm

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

I did this. It was pretty crappy.

NICKELS
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2107
Joined: July 15th, 2006, 2:32 am
Location: LAND SEA AIR

Unread post by NICKELS » July 11th, 2007, 10:54 pm

WHAT DID IT TELL YOU , WHAT WAS THE RESULT ?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 11th, 2007, 11:31 pm

robocop wrote:https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

I did this. It was pretty crappy.
I was just about to do that. You weren't happy with it?

Was their service bad or was it that you didn't get your expected result? I don't want to waste money if it's crappy service.

robocop
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: July 11th, 2007, 7:57 am

Unread post by robocop » July 12th, 2007, 8:55 am

It is supposed to trace you bloodline from Africa up until the present. You send DNA swabs and the analyze it and they give you a break down. I don't think it was accurate knowing my history. The documentary is great however. I was going to write them to let them know of my dissatisfaction.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 12th, 2007, 10:59 am

robocop wrote:It is supposed to trace you bloodline from Africa up until the present. You send DNA swabs and the analyze it and they give you a break down. I don't think it was accurate knowing my history. The documentary is great however. I was going to write them to let them know of my dissatisfaction.
You were upset because your DNA wasn't the same as what your family history told you? The DNA test is only as good as those who've given DNA in the past. Basically if no one in your family tree ever gave a DNA sample, or if their DNA wasn't already on file it wouldn't be able to connect the dots. You'd have large gaps but your DNA would still be connected to others on file to some exact and there's no arguing that, whether you liked the results or not. Whether you thought it was accurate is irrelevant. Your family history may say one thing, but the DNA test may show that way back when perhaps one of your ancestors was the mailmans kid instead of the husbands. DNA doesn't lie, family histories are only as good as the people who wrote them down.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 12th, 2007, 1:32 pm

Okay, so if you didn't like the program simply because it gave an unexpected answer then I am fine with going in the program. I don't care about surprises.

Oh, and if you don't like you daddy's daddy's daddy's... family tree then ask to also get your maternal DNA, maybe you can figure out when someone cheated?

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1155
Joined: February 21st, 2006, 3:01 am

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 12th, 2007, 2:42 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:Okay, so if you didn't like the program simply because it gave an unexpected answer then I am fine with going in the program. I don't care about surprises.

Oh, and if you don't like you daddy's daddy's daddy's... family tree then ask to also get your maternal DNA, maybe you can figure out when someone cheated?
That's just it. In the last year I've been able to trace my Dad's side back to the mid 1700's based on documentation and word of mouth. That's by no means concrete but it does offer a glimpse. I would be surprised to learn otherwise thru DNA but I can't say it wouldn't happen. It's hard to dispute DNA.

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”