Fruit Drink Brings Watts to a Boil

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » July 15th, 2007, 2:45 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:It's more complicated that "Is there an excuse or not." Not everything is 100% yes or 100% no.

Go to any store they sell that stuff and ask them what they think that character is, and at least 80% of the people will say "a cartoon." Then if you ask them what the cartoon is, it would be like asking what Yoshi from Mario Brothers is. They would be like "What do you mean, it's a cartoon."

I bet most people don't know Yoshi is supposed to be a dinosaur.
I dont know who doesnt know that Yoshi was a dinosaur...but no its not a 100% yea or no situation...nonetheless the issue goes beyond what they know and what they dont know. Point is to educate and get beyond the ignorance. Its offensive to a group of people, whether another group can understand why on their own is irrelevant.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 15th, 2007, 2:47 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:I'm sure if you saw this type of shit in a store you would say some shit, or see it as obviously racist

Now if we were in a country like Central African Republic where some kids might not eve know that Asians exist, then I would understand that they wouldn't make the connection between that cartoon and actual people. I wouldn't judge until after they were told that they were caricatures of real people. Note that the manager discontinued the product immediately.

P.S. Compare that with this picture:
^ They don't even have noses or any distinct features withing their body except for white lips (which no humans have). I would honestly think they were Pokemon or something.

The fact that they dont have human features is the point...african americans were depicted that way because they were refused as being human by racist of that time...

Axis of Evil
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Axis of Evil » July 15th, 2007, 6:33 pm

its a cartoon. who gives a fuck. sensitive thugs

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 15th, 2007, 6:42 pm

LcBwC wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:I'm sure if you saw this type of shit in a store you would say some shit, or see it as obviously racist

Now if we were in a country like Central African Republic where some kids might not eve know that Asians exist, then I would understand that they wouldn't make the connection between that cartoon and actual people. I wouldn't judge until after they were told that they were caricatures of real people. Note that the manager discontinued the product immediately.

^ They don't even have noses or any distinct features withing their body except for white lips (which no humans have). I would honestly think they were Pokemon or something.

The fact that they dont have human features is the point...african americans were depicted that way because they were refused as being human by racist of that time...

Exactly! See thats why I say some just cant comprehend our plight. For those who are in the no knows the history of these types of images and what their original meaning are. I dont even have to repeat the silly comments made by some in this thread but you can tell who dont really understand the seriousness of these type of image...

Axis of Evil
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Axis of Evil » July 15th, 2007, 6:59 pm

the simpsons characters only have like 3 fingers too i think. theres racist shit in the media all the time about every race. jus cuz black ppl use to be slaves in this country anything racist against blacks gets blown up 10 times more. jus cuz another race wasnt slaves in this country doesnt mean its more ok to make fun of them.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 15th, 2007, 7:14 pm

^^^First of all there were other races that were enslaved in this country. Not to the level of african americans, but it did exist. Secondly for me its not about blowing it up 10x bigger. Not going to help the issue. Point is its offensive...and today when there is still a visable difference between white america and black america, then images like this, racial slurs, etc cant be tolerated if we as a people are going to continue to prosper and grow. You might not understand that cuz thats not your reality.

Simpsons only having 3fingers is racist how? Im missing something. Educate me...

Axis of Evil
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Axis of Evil » July 15th, 2007, 7:36 pm

the simpsons having 3 fingers is not racist. thats my point. its a cartoon. ppl talkin bout they dont have noses. yall are stupid. how are you gonna assume a chinese company makin a cartoon of black ppl who dont have fuckin noses are trying to say that blacks are not humans. cartoons dont always have distinct human features. and black ppl be lookin and actin like monkeys more so than other races.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 15th, 2007, 8:15 pm

'X' wrote:
LcBwC wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

Exactly! See thats why I say some just cant comprehend our plight. For those who are in the no knows the history of these types of images and what their original meaning are. I dont even have to repeat the silly comments made by some in this thread but you can tell who dont really understand the seriousness of these type of image...
I never said they weren't serious or weren't racist. They should be discontinued immediately... oh that's right, they were.

I'm just saying most people wouldn't even realize those cartoon things are caricatures of black people, that's all.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » July 15th, 2007, 8:45 pm

LcBwC wrote: You might not understand that because thats not your reality.

This has been my main point. They just can not fathom OUR reality. I think they believe they can study some Black history or think because they "have Black friends" that can understand us. But notice how mostly those who say they are Black deemed this "cartoon" as offensive, while 'others' want to know "whats the big deal" or "it's just a cartoon"...And this goes for other issues that we deal with reguarly...

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by 'X' » July 15th, 2007, 8:49 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
They should be discontinued immediately... oh that's right, they were.
:roll: Too late, damage done already...

MiChuhSuh wrote: I'm just saying most people wouldn't even realize those cartoon things are caricatures of black people, that's all.
Agree, which is why I think it's ignorant to simply pass this off as "it's just a a cartoon" or "Balck people in some countries still do wear jungle garb"... EDUCATE yourselves and realize the root of where these images started and their beginning before speaking on things...

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 15th, 2007, 9:20 pm

'X' wrote:Agree, which is why I think it's ignorant to simply pass this off as "it's just a a cartoon" or "Balck people in some countries still do wear jungle garb"... EDUCATE yourselves and realize the root of where these images started and their beginning before speaking on things...
Agree, which is why I never said those things (I did say that many wouldn't recognize the cartoon as being racist though).

This is some craziness about America though. I swear I saw those things as a kid and never made a connection with anything in real life, I was surprised the first time I heard they were supposed to make fun of black people. I think all immigrants should get a quick "crash course" in American society because there so many things here that don't make sense (besides English). But then again, it would be biased based on who would teach it.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 16th, 2007, 2:46 pm

'X' wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:
They should be discontinued immediately... oh that's right, they were.
:roll: Too late, damage done already...

MiChuhSuh wrote: I'm just saying most people wouldn't even realize those cartoon things are caricatures of black people, that's all.
Agree, which is why I think it's ignorant to simply pass this off as "it's just a a cartoon" or "Balck people in some countries still do wear jungle garb"... EDUCATE yourselves and realize the root of where these images started and their beginning before speaking on things...
Key Word...knowledge is power. Good post X

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by LcBwC » July 16th, 2007, 2:50 pm

'X' wrote:

This has been my main point. They just can not fathom OUR reality. I think they believe they can study some Black history or think because they "have Black friends" that can understand us. But notice how mostly those who say they are Black deemed this "cartoon" as offensive, while 'others' want to know "whats the big deal" or "it's just a cartoon"...And this goes for other issues that we deal with reguarly...
of course...
I dont know how it was for you growing up but I constantly had people explaining to me the road my ancestors travelled, and how blessed I am to be here as an african american. And im mixed but there was always a point to explain the history to me, as a man today I can look at those things and understand it on a different level than most and not just "face" value.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 16th, 2007, 3:08 pm

'X' wrote:

well Im white and I KNOW thats messed up :lol:

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » July 17th, 2007, 4:24 am

Anyone knows Dragonball Z, the japanese Anime? They got something like that in there too, a character called Mr. Popo:

Apart from that, we got a a brand of chocolate here whos main character is called "the Moor". Its very old and the original illustration is still from colonial times:

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 17th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Sentenza wrote:Anyone knows Dragonball Z, the japanese Anime? They got something like that in there too, a character called Mr. Popo:

Oh shoot... lol
Well I don't think anyone at the time I was into it realized he was a Southern Indian (and I mean India, not Native American) and I watched it with some Indian guys. Why is he the only one like that in the show though, they have 4 other Indian characters and none of them were shown that way. In the show Mr. Popo is an alien/spirit not a Earthling, maybe that's why?

In Egypt they have a candy that's straight up called "The Head of a Slave" and it's a chocolate ball. They well them in American stores but in the added-on sticker of nutrition facts they label them "Angel Heads" even though Arabic label on it still says "the Head of a Slave"

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 17th, 2007, 5:08 pm

^ They only have them in Arabic grocery stores, I don't mean normal American grocery stores

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 17th, 2007, 7:14 pm

so this cartoon would have been okay if they had noses and hair?

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 17th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Sentenza wrote:Anyone knows Dragonball Z, the japanese Anime? They got something like that in there too, a character called Mr. Popo:

Apart from that, we got a a brand of chocolate here whos main character is called "the Moor". Its very old and the original illustration is still from colonial times:

:shock:

Aquafresh
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Oak Cliff

Unread post by Aquafresh » July 20th, 2007, 10:11 pm

"The Moor".... say it ain't so!!!! They might as well call it "The Nigger" :roll:

Any you catz partake in "Othello?"

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 20th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Aquafresh wrote:Any you catz partake in "Othello?"
LOL

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 21st, 2007, 9:13 am

Aquafresh wrote:"The Moor".... say it ain't so!!!! They might as well call it "The Nigger" :roll:

Any you catz partake in "Othello?"
whats othello?

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » July 21st, 2007, 9:28 am

Shakespeare play. It has a "Moor" in it (at the time they identified Moors and black Africans and even Turks as being the same; they didn't know much outside of Europe)

king phoenix
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by king phoenix » July 21st, 2007, 11:09 am

Ok i guess everyone must have overlooked this !
Axis of Evil wrote:the simpsons having 3 fingers is not racist. thats my point. its a cartoon. ppl talkin bout they dont have noses. yall are stupid. how are you gonna assume a chinese company makin a cartoon of black ppl who dont have fuckin noses are trying to say that blacks are not humans. cartoons dont always have distinct human features. and black ppl be lookin and actin like monkeys more so than other races.
WTF is this?

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”