Justice demanded for Arkansas boy shot and killed by police

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Justice demanded for Arkansas boy shot and killed by police

Unread post by perongregory » July 19th, 2007, 1:55 am

By AP
Updated Jul 18, 2007, 05:41 pm

Beverly Farrow, aunt of DeAuntae Farrow, collapses in grief before the start of funeral services for DeAuntae on July 1 in West Memphis, Ark. Photo: AP/WideWorld Photos

WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. (AP) - The Reverend Al Sharpton was among the more than 2,000 people who packed the West Memphis Civic Auditorium July 1 to remember DeAuntae Farrow, the 12-year-old boy shot and killed by police in June.
Rev. Sharpton urged the public to “stand up for justice” at the funeral service, just one of several at the service calling for justice while urging the community to remain calm. He said DeAuntae’s death should not be forgotten.

“We must not be upset for two weeks. They expect you to be angry and cool off,” Rev. Sharpton said. “If we stand up for justice, this boy will not have died in vain.”

DeAuntae was shot the evening of June 22 by a West Memphis police officer who said he believed the youth was holding a gun. Police said the boy had a toy gun; the boy’s family has said he had a bag of chips and a soda.

Kirsten Foy of Rev. Sharpton’s National Action Network urged angry community members not to “turn to despair.”

“You may be feeling a little hurt, you may be angry,” he said. “But the way to victory is not with hate. Don’t turn to hate. Don’t turn to darkness.”

West Memphis City Council member Marco McClendon read words written by Deborah Farrow, the boy’s mother:

“What would I give to have you back here with me? Momma misses you very much.”

Sheri Lowe, DeAuntae’s principal, said he was one of the most well-mannered children she’s encountered in her 28 years as an educator in West Memphis.

“With someone the quality of DeAuntae, it’s a tragedy to us all,” she said.

DeAuntae was outside playing with a friend while police were on a stakeout of an adjacent apartment. Police have said the boys ran by, yelling, and officers told them to stop. Police say one officer fired when it appeared DeAuntae was holding a weapon and moved.

Relatives and community residents have insisted the shooting was unjustified.

State police have said they will turn their findings over to the FBI so agents can decide whether to pursue a civil rights investigation. The officer, Erik Sammis, was placed on paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Bill Sadler, a spokesman for the Arkansas State Police, said there is no deadline for the investigation.

“The state police is doing everything it can to make sure this is done professionally and accurately,” Mr. Sadler said.

The service was protected by members of the Crittenden County Sheriff’s Department, and no West Memphis police officers were visible.

“We asked the sheriff’s office and the Crittenden County search and rescue (squad) to handle all the traffic, just out of respect for the family,” West Memphis Assistant Chief Mike Allen said.

© Copyright 2007 FCN Publishing, FinalCall.com

Black Top
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Black Top » July 19th, 2007, 11:10 am

police brutality is outta control...... when is the community gonna band together and fight this shit! i mean not for no few weeks and then chill. i'm talkin 365, 24/7.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 19th, 2007, 11:23 am

Are police planting toy guns on people now too? Did this ever goto trial or an investigation done? I don't imagine it would be difficult to find out if the kid had either a toy gun or a fucking bag of chips in his hand. That's not rocket science. Either way it's a tragedy but mistaking a toy gun for a real gun I can some what comprehend, mistaking a bag of chips and a can of coke for a firearm baffles the shit out of me.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 19th, 2007, 12:13 pm

people in the south are on their own thing. they do fucked up things to anybody they don't like. ten years ago, people in west memphis convicted three teenagers of murder with no proof, just because they were different. i don't even know how to fix problems in the south, because people are so backwards and ignorant.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 19th, 2007, 1:20 pm

people in the south is on real shit, if they dont like you they show that shit. People in the north is on that covert, lying, in the dark BS.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 19th, 2007, 2:03 pm

no this is where your wrong. people in the north are not "hiding their hate", there isn't nearly as much hate, and if you look at history, it has been this way historically. the north has always been more leanient twords new people. i am not saying its a utopia, where all people live hand and hand, but historically and in the present, the northern states in general have been more open minded. you cant compare the hate of the people in the north to the south. because if it was the same amount of hate, racial tensions in all the major cities, would be much higher, and actual acts of racial violence and prejudice would be done on a much higher scale. in the north, someone might spray paint something bad on a black guys wall, in the south they'll hang a black guy.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 19th, 2007, 2:46 pm

woow....all i got to say is woow

wait till i catch a couple of white folk slippin tonite

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 19th, 2007, 3:23 pm

You arent supposed to use deadly force unless your life or the life of someone else is in danger. Now fake guns DO get mistaken for real guns all the time. Thats why they need to start painting them bright red.

However this was a 12 year old kid.

Not a 20 year old bank robber.

I mean is West Memphis really that bad that you have 12 year olds walking around with loaded weapons?

Because that would have to be the case for this cop to be so scared that he thought a 12 year old had a real gun.....

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 19th, 2007, 3:27 pm

A Ghost wrote:You arent supposed to use deadly force unless your life or the life of someone else is in danger. Now fake guns DO get mistaken for real guns all the time. Thats why they need to start painting them bright red.

I mean is West Memphis really that bad that you have 12 year olds walking around with loaded weapons?

Because that would have to be the case for this cop to be so scared that he thought a 12 year old had a real gun.....
Yes! Paint them red because no criminal will ever think to paint his real gun red! It's a perfect plan! :P Actually a lot of toy manufacturers in the states stopped making toy guns altogether or made them very unrealisitic, like nerf style weapons for reasons such as this.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 19th, 2007, 3:50 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:
A Ghost wrote:You arent supposed to use deadly force unless your life or the life of someone else is in danger. Now fake guns DO get mistaken for real guns all the time. Thats why they need to start painting them bright red.

Yes! Paint them red because no criminal will ever think to paint his real gun red! It's a perfect plan! :P Actually a lot of toy manufacturers in the states stopped making toy guns altogether or made them very unrealisitic, like nerf style weapons for reasons such as this.
Im saying paint them red so that little 12 year olds dont get shot because the cops thought it was a real gun.

If a bank robber takes the time to paint his gun black and rob a store I wont feel bad if he gets shot.

But a little innocent 12 year old gets shot because it was mistaken for a real gun is sad as hell....

Thats why they should make them all red

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 19th, 2007, 4:13 pm

A Ghost wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:

Im saying paint them red so that little 12 year olds dont get shot because the cops thought it was a real gun.

If a bank robber takes the time to paint his gun black and rob a store I wont feel bad if he gets shot.

But a little innocent 12 year old gets shot because it was mistaken for a real gun is sad as hell....

Thats why they should make them all red
I understood what you meant, what I was saying that since your theory was "all red guns will be fake ones" then what's stopping a criminal from using a real gun and paint it red in the hopes that he won't get shot from the cops if he's caught because they'll think it's fake.

I think an easy solution would be.... just don't make toy guns. I use to play with toy guns all the time, but I'm pretty sure if I never had one, it wouldn't have been the end of my world or stop my imagination any. Mind you, someone is always going to end up getting shot by a cop regardless of what they're holding. Cops are trained to access situations and dangers, a good trained cop can make a split decision on whether or not the person he's pursuing has a gun in his hands or a bag of chips, that's just crappy police work. If it's a fake gun, or a piece of wood carved into a gun shape or a pellet gun and they point it at an officer then it becomes quite difficult and bad things will happen, there's really no avoiding stuff like that.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 19th, 2007, 5:23 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote: I understood what you meant, what I was saying that since your theory was "all red guns will be fake ones" then what's stopping a criminal from using a real gun and paint it red in the hopes that he won't get shot from the cops if he's caught because they'll think it's fake.

lol...

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 19th, 2007, 6:29 pm

se11 wrote:no this is where your wrong. people in the north are not "hiding their hate", there isn't nearly as much hate, and if you look at history, it has been this way historically. the north has always been more leanient twords new people. i am not saying its a utopia, where all people live hand and hand, but historically and in the present, the northern states in general have been more open minded. you cant compare the hate of the people in the north to the south. because if it was the same amount of hate, racial tensions in all the major cities, would be much higher, and actual acts of racial violence and prejudice would be done on a much higher scale. in the north, someone might spray paint something bad on a black guys wall, in the south they'll hang a black guy.
read some more history on racial tensions and covert, institutional racism in the North and you'll understand what I am talking about.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 19th, 2007, 6:30 pm

'X' wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote: I understood what you meant, what I was saying that since your theory was "all red guns will be fake ones" then what's stopping a criminal from using a real gun and paint it red in the hopes that he won't get shot from the cops if he's caught because they'll think it's fake.

lol...
I believe thats actually happened before..... :shock:

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » July 19th, 2007, 7:14 pm

A Ghost wrote:
'X' wrote:

lol...
I believe thats actually happened before..... :shock:
Oh probably, but it really comes down to cops being held accountable. Like I said, situations come up and horrible accidents happen. I don't know if that was the case in this story but it has happened in the past. If the case is such that someone pulls out their wallet, a bag of chips, a balloon animal or whatever it may be out of their pocket a cop has to be able to determine the difference between that and what may be a potential fire arm. That's the hazards of the job. If a cop can't do that, they shouldn't be a cop. But when it's a paintball gun, pellet gun, squirt gun that's being drawn then that's a very fine line and like I said horrible, horrible things happen.

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » July 19th, 2007, 8:53 pm

its not a word that shows the amount of hate i have right now.....

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 19th, 2007, 9:38 pm

perongregory wrote:
se11 wrote:no this is where your wrong. people in the north are not "hiding their hate", there isn't nearly as much hate, and if you look at history, it has been this way historically. the north has always been more leanient twords new people. i am not saying its a utopia, where all people live hand and hand, but historically and in the present, the northern states in general have been more open minded. you cant compare the hate of the people in the north to the south. because if it was the same amount of hate, racial tensions in all the major cities, would be much higher, and actual acts of racial violence and prejudice would be done on a much higher scale. in the north, someone might spray paint something bad on a black guys wall, in the south they'll hang a black guy.
read some more history on racial tensions and covert, institutional racism in the North and you'll understand what I am talking about.
the north has been a harbor for new people since the beginning of this nation, and has always been a more diverse community. weather you choose to believe it or not is your choice, but its common sense. but theres no point in trying to make you look at it differently.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 20th, 2007, 12:09 am

se11 wrote:
perongregory wrote:
the north has been a harbor for new people since the beginning of this nation, and has always been a more diverse community. weather you choose to believe it or not is your choice, but its common sense. but theres no point in trying to make you look at it differently.
We are talking about racism not if a lot of different people live in one region. I don't know why you even brought that up seeing as you said nothing about diversity in your prior post.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 20th, 2007, 10:16 am

your trying to say the north has the same kind of racists as the south and they just show it differently. you think everything is a racist. you cant even compare northern racism to southern racism, its a totally different level.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 20th, 2007, 1:34 pm

se11 wrote:your trying to say the north has the same kind of racists as the south and they just show it differently. you think everything is a racist. you cant even compare northern racism to southern racism, its a totally different level.
No, it's a totally diff. form most of the time until people let their true colors show. Why do you always provoke and make me go and pull up evidence to support the truth that you want to dispel? I don't just say shit cuz it sounds good to me.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 20th, 2007, 2:41 pm

ok whatever your right, everyones racist. thanks for opening my eyes, im a totaly different man now.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » July 20th, 2007, 2:44 pm

se11 wrote:ok whatever your right, everyones racist. thanks for opening my eyes, im a totaly different man now.
glad to be of service.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 20th, 2007, 3:37 pm

perongregory wrote:
se11 wrote:ok whatever your right, everyones racist. thanks for opening my eyes, im a totaly different man now.
glad to be of service.

lol....

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 20th, 2007, 5:57 pm

se11 wrote:your trying to say the north has the same kind of racists as the south and they just show it differently. you think everything is a racist. you cant even compare northern racism to southern racism, its a totally different level.
Youre kidding right?

Theres just as many racist up north as there is down south.

Its just that in the north they cover it up, down south they dont care who hears it

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by se11 » July 24th, 2007, 7:19 pm

ok your right too, everyones racist. your soooo smart!

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 24th, 2007, 9:04 pm

dont get over emotional, its jst a lil debate.its okay no body hates u.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 24th, 2007, 9:20 pm

se11 wrote:ok your right too, everyones racist. your soooo smart!
No one is saying that EVERYONE is racist, Im just saying the North has the same amount of racists as the south does, its just that the people in the North hide it

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 24th, 2007, 9:28 pm

i believe so too

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 24th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Mcminister wrote:i believe so too
Ah yes yes. Do you concur, good sir?

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 24th, 2007, 9:34 pm

yes, a fine educated lad like yourself, always knows whats correct or shud i say "reaL".

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » July 24th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Mcminister wrote:yes, a fine educated lad like yourself, always knows whats correct or shud i say "reaL".
Indubitably

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » July 24th, 2007, 9:41 pm

:evil: wachu say bout my mama :evil:

:lol:

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”