Horse penis and testicles with a chilli dip

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Horse penis and testicles with a chilli dip

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 15th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Ok something is reallllly wrong with the Chinese. This article is old but still.......

On the menu today: horse penis and testicles with a chilli dip
By Richard Spencer in Beijing
Last Updated: 1:59am GMT 17/02/2006

The menu at Beijing's latest venue for its growing army of gourmets is eye-watering rather than mouth-watering.

China's cuisine is renowned for being "in your face" - from the skinned dogs displayed at food markets to the kebabbed scorpions sold on street stalls - and there is no polite way of describing Guo-li-zhuang.

A dish combining the male organs of an ox and a snake
Situated in an elegantly restored house beside Beijing's West Lake, it is China's first speciality penis restaurant.

Here, businessmen and government officials can sample the organs of yaks, donkeys, oxen and even seals. In fact, they have to, since they form part of every dish - except for those containing testicles.

"This is my third visit," said one customer, Liu Qiang. "Of course, there are other restaurants that serve the bian of individual animals. But this is the first that brings them all together."

Guolizhuang's owner, who set it up in November, is proud to combine his own surname (Guo), his wife's (Li) and his son's nickname (Zhuang) into its title.

A booking comes with a trained waitress and a nutritionist in attendance, to explain the menu and to boast its medicinal virtues.

Dog's penis, garnished with a plum
In China, you are what you eat, and The Daily Telegraph's nutritionist, Zhu Yan, said the clients were mainly men eager to improve their yang, or virility. Women could benefit, too, she added, although she told the Telegraph's female photographer: "I wouldn't recommend the testicles. The testosterone might interfere in fertility. But many women say bian is good for the skin."

Some dishes appear unexceptional, such as the simple goat penis, sliced, dipped in flour, fried, and served skewered with soy sauce.

But Guolizhuang also has its showpieces, such as the elegantly named "Head crowned with a Jade Bracelet" (provided by horses from the western Muslim region of Xin-jiang), for £20 a portion, or "Dragon in the Flame of Desire" (yak, steamed whole, fried and flambéed) for £35.

For beginners, Miss Zhu recommended the hotpot, which offers a sampling of what the restaurant has to offer - six types of penis, and four of testicle, boiled in chicken stock by the waitress, Liu Yunyang, 22.

Russian dog was first. It was julienned, and rather gamey.

The ox was, of all six, the most recognisable for what it was, even though it had been diced. In texture seemed identical to gristle.

The deer and the Mongolian goat were surprisingly similar: a little stringy, they had the appearance and feel of overcooked squid tentacles. The Xinjiang horse and the donkey, on the other hand, were quite different. Though both came sliced lengthwise, and looked like bacon, the horse was light and fatty, while the donkey had a firm colour and taste. The testicles were slightly crumbly, and tasted better with lashings of the sesame, soy and chilli dips thoughtfully provided.

One speciality, Canadian seal penis, costs a hefty £220, and requires ordering in advance. Miss Liu confessed that Guo-li-zhuang was an unusual place to work, partly because of her training - she has to recite tales proving the vigour of the animals in question as they are being eaten - and partly because of the interaction with the clientele. "I did find it embarrassing at first," she said. "And sometimes the customers take advantage of me by asking rude questions."

As for the supposed health benefits, Mr Liu, the most regular customer, was uncertain but hopeful. "I can't say I've noticed any difference yet," he said. "But it's a long-term thing."

rspencer@telegraph.co.uk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... food17.xml

MiChuhSuh

Re: Horse penis and testicles with a chilli dip

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 15th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Christina Marie wrote:Ok something is reallllly wrong with the Chinese. This article is old but still.......

One speciality, Canadian seal penis, costs a hefty £220, and requires ordering in advance. Miss Liu confessed that Guo-li-zhuang was an unusual place to work, partly because of her training - she has to recite tales proving the vigour of the animals in question as they are being eaten - and partly because of the interaction with the clientele. "I did find it embarrassing at first," she said. "And sometimes the customers take advantage of me by asking rude questions."
Alright, not trying to start bs, but how are you a moderator for a race and ethnicity section? You've been selecting the craziest and worst situations in that country and saying its "the Chinese" as in all of them who have problems. Why don't I post about Megan Williams again, but start off by saying "alright something is wrong with whites"? Or post about race/gang conflicts like jesuschrist does and say "what's wrong with blacks and Mexicans?"

Obviously the majority of Chinese people feel uncomfortable about it, as shown in your article. And looking at the "type of customers" they are getting (harassing female waitresses) you can't call that a fair sample of their population.

People like to say it's an entire country's fault and forget individual choice, like what happened when executives were taking bribes for their nutrition-deprived baby food, their toothpaste, and their toy recalls (despite the fact that later investigation showed it was the flaws in the designs sent from American companies and not the Chinese manufacturing which led to most of the recalls).

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » October 15th, 2007, 11:42 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:Ok something is reallllly wrong with the Chinese. This article is old but still.......

Alright, not trying to start bs, but how are you a moderator for a race and ethnicity section? You've been selecting the craziest and worst situations in that country and saying its "the Chinese" as in all of them who have problems. Why don't I post about Megan Williams again, but start off by saying "alright something is wrong with whites"? Or post about race/gang conflicts like jesuschrist does and say "what's wrong with blacks and Mexicans?"

Obviously the majority of Chinese people feel uncomfortable about it, as shown in your article. And looking at the "type of customers" they are getting (harassing female waitresses) you can't call that a fair sample of their population.

People like to say it's an entire country's fault and forget individual choice, like what happened when executives were taking bribes for their nutrition-deprived baby food, their toothpaste, and their toy recalls (despite the fact that later investigation showed it was the flaws in the designs sent from American companies and not the Chinese manufacturing which led to most of the recalls).
the only thing CLOSE to that I have seen is bovine testicles for sale in the meat section of a large chain grocery in a predominantly mexican neighborhood in SF....
and to be fair.. I know a WHOLE LOTTA white people who will admit to eating ( and liking) rocky mountain oysters.... me not being one of them... I dont like turkey as it is....

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » October 16th, 2007, 11:31 am

Has anyone ever watched "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel with Andrew Zimmern? He is a chef and foodie that goes around the world sampling "bizarre foods". He just recently went to the American South (Louisiana) and ate squirel, Nutria (which looks like a big Beaver), Chitterlings, etc. it's a good show and the stuff he eats is out of this world. If you get a chance, you should check it out. Aloha 8)

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 16th, 2007, 12:25 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:

Well lets see...... first of all nobody else seems to want to be a moderator on here bad enough to hit Al up about it so that leaves me. Secondly I am human, not a robot.

You would think that the government there would outlaw such practices wouldnt you? But nooooooo they permit it.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 16th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Christina Marie wrote:Well lets see...... first of all nobody else seems to want to be a moderator on here bad enough to hit Al up about it so that leaves me. Secondly I am human, not a robot.

You would think that the government there would outlaw such practices wouldnt you? But nooooooo they permit it.
So I guess you'd be surprised to know that this is legal and practiced in America too? You ever watched Road Rules or Fear Factor?

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » October 16th, 2007, 9:12 pm

HiloBoy wrote:Has anyone ever watched "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel with Andrew Zimmern? He is a chef and foodie that goes around the world sampling "bizarre foods". He just recently went to the American South (Louisiana) and ate squirel, Nutria (which looks like a big Beaver), Chitterlings, etc. it's a good show and the stuff he eats is out of this world. If you get a chance, you should check it out. Aloha 8)
I've eaten squirrel and I'm from california!!!
chitterlings is common faire for southerners
and nutira.
hmmm nutria are bigass waterrats.... they hunt them for sport on Lake Irie ( yes ON...cuz they run across all the polution)

well i guess calling rats bald-tailed squirrels sort of puts that whole thing into -perspective....

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » October 16th, 2007, 9:48 pm

whats Christina been up to? :shock:

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 17th, 2007, 10:53 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:

http://www.addictedtorace.com/?p=177

Check this out.

ATR 83 - The New Yellow Peril - 9/25/2007 - Submit an Audio Comment: 206-203-3983
Carmen and Jeff discuss the new yellow peril. Between the lead paint toy scare, the tainted pet food scare, and the general rise of China’s economic and military might, all the anti-Chinese sentiments we’ve been hearing lately sound awfully similar to the anti-Chinese sentiments at the turn of the century.

This episode features the song “Give Me Love” by Grayskul, courtesy of Spectre Entertainment.

Carmen is joined by Jeff Yang in this episode. Yang is the Asian Pop columnist for SFGate, the website of the San Francisco Chronicle, and founded and published the pioneering Asian American periodical aMagazine for over a dozen years. He has written for a wide range of publications, and authored three books—”Eastern Standard Time” (Houghton Mifflin); “I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action” (Ballantine, the action icon’s official autobiography); and “Once Upon a Time in China” (Atria/Pocket Books). His fourth book, a graphic novel anthology of Asian American superhero tales titled “Secret Identities,” is due out from The New Press in Fall 2008.

Scroll down and listen to the audio

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » October 17th, 2007, 11:37 am

A Ghost wrote:whats Christina been up to? :shock:
LOL I just got that - like what was the search that she did that pulled the article up

:shock:

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 17th, 2007, 12:35 pm

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:Well lets see...... first of all nobody else seems to want to be a moderator on here bad enough to hit Al up about it so that leaves me. Secondly I am human, not a robot.

So I guess you'd be surprised to know that this is legal and practiced in America too? You ever watched Road Rules or Fear Factor?
Thats not like a sit down family restaurant where we go eat dick

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 17th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Cold Bear wrote:
LOL I just got that - like what was the search that she did that pulled the article up

Actually it came up when I and another person were talking about strange cuisines. You nasty minded boys.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Unread post by Sentenza » October 17th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Actually i have to say that China as it is nowadays and the chinese culture seems very weird to me to. And friends of mine who live in China have told me the same, that they think something is going pretty wrong there nowadays.
And in my experience i get along much better with other Asians, like Coreans and Vietnamese, but i really dont know why.

BANG187
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by BANG187 » October 17th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Wow...first Chinese went from eating dogs and cats.."which has been clrified right here" but now they eating animal penis?
And didnt the one woman say its good for your skin? WOW

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » October 17th, 2007, 7:42 pm

BANG187 wrote:Wow...first Chinese went from eating dogs and cats.."which has been clrified right here" but now they eating animal penis?

good for the skin???... a friend of mine from mississippi spoke of women taking small bits of arsenic to make their skin look waxy smooth....

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 17th, 2007, 8:11 pm

justice league wrote:
BANG187 wrote:Wow...first Chinese went from eating dogs and cats.."which has been clrified right here" but now they eating animal penis?

good for the skin???... a friend of mine from mississippi spoke of women taking small bits of arsenic to make their skin look waxy smooth....
Botox =Botulism

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » October 17th, 2007, 9:32 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
Cold Bear wrote:

Actually it came up when I and another person were talking about strange cuisines. You nasty minded boys.
lol you know Im messing with you :lol: :wink:

HiloBoy
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by HiloBoy » October 17th, 2007, 9:57 pm

I know everyone can be ethnocentric and I have been guilty of apllying that mentality but eating"weird" things is not very uncommon. Most insects have more protein in them than a 24oz slab of certified prime angus beef. But who amongst us wants to go pick grasshoppers or water beatles and fry them in your saute pan? In China they have been supplementing insects in their diet for numerous yrs. When cattle shoratges, pig shortages, overpopulation, etc people have to survive and grasshoppers and locust meet the need and keep those people healthy.

Also, one thing about Mainlanders, you all eat hotdogs and some might look you cross eyed :roll:

Does anyone REALLY kow what's in those things? Ears, snouts, hoofs, etc are some of many "mystery" meats that comprise a hot dog. But who amongst us are willing to give up Weinerschneitzel or Oscar Meyer weiners?

Here in Hawaii we have a cuisine that is reflected through the many people that have come and gone throughout the Islands. Portugese, Filipino, Chinese, Korean, and Local foods are the norm. Many plate luches here serve Spam Misube along side Chicken Katsu and you get a Moo-Chi donut as a snack. :wink:

I love that about Hawaii. The food is a eclectic mix of hodge podge without any ryhme or reason. But that's just the way we want it. Aloha and peace 8)

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 17th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

I was also going to name a few ethnicities other whose restaurants serve "weird" things, including genitalia, but I realized that people here would probably just talk sh*t about them too then

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 18th, 2007, 10:42 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

I was also going to name a few ethnicities other whose restaurants serve "weird" things, including genitalia, but I realized that people here would probably just talk sh*t about them too then
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....its a duck

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » October 18th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

Duck? whens dinner ready?

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 18th, 2007, 6:14 pm

justice league wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

lol. I love me some duck.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » October 19th, 2007, 8:53 am

Christina Marie wrote:
justice league wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

lol. I love me some duck.
I cook a mean duck, with a peppered apricot glaze.

MiChuhSuh

Unread post by MiChuhSuh » October 19th, 2007, 9:45 am

Christina Marie wrote:I was also going to name a few ethnicities other whose restaurants serve "weird" things, including genitalia, but I realized that people here would probably just talk sh*t about them too then
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....its a duck[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything?

They got good Cantonese places in Rowland Heights. For duck, Sam Woo is pretty goo, half a duck for $7-8

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » October 19th, 2007, 9:52 am

Some things I could never eat knowingly. Call me a boring eater. But i stick to what I know. Just thinking about some of the stuff named in here makes my stomach turn. Yet to ea their own. Wanna eat it then do you.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » October 19th, 2007, 10:43 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:I was also going to name a few ethnicities other whose restaurants serve "weird" things, including genitalia, but I realized that people here would probably just talk sh*t about them too then

They got good Cantonese places in Rowland Heights. For duck, Sam Woo is pretty goo, half a duck for $7-8[/quote]

I have no idea where that is. :P And I wouldn't assume the duck I prepare is anything close to what a good cantonese place makes. Likewise, I can make a great hot and sour soup but I'm sure it's nothing like an authentic oriental place makes.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » October 19th, 2007, 10:59 am

MiChuhSuh wrote:

They got good Cantonese places in Rowland Heights. For duck, Sam Woo is pretty goo, half a duck for $7-8[/quote]

Think about it

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » October 19th, 2007, 4:04 pm

EmperorPenguin wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

They got good Cantonese places in Rowland Heights. For duck, Sam Woo is pretty goo, half a duck for $7-8
I have no idea where that is. :P And I wouldn't assume the duck I prepare is anything close to what a good cantonese place makes. Likewise, I can make a great hot and sour soup but I'm sure it's nothing like an authentic oriental place makes.[/quote]

LOL... I have been told I make better hot and sour soup than most chinese restaurants.... I got a rave review for my potstickers...
but that duck .. I got a killer recipe from Julia Childs... Duck three ways : roast it rare, joint the legs thigh and wings, and roll them in dijon and crumbs, roast until well; fillet the breast, make a madiera sauce out of the stock from the remains pour over sauteed slices of rare breast; and the skin... slice it and finish cooking it off like bacon..MMMMM!MMMM M!!!!!MMMMMM!!! yummy!

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » October 19th, 2007, 4:48 pm

justice league wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
MiChuhSuh wrote:

I have no idea where that is. :P And I wouldn't assume the duck I prepare is anything close to what a good cantonese place makes. Likewise, I can make a great hot and sour soup but I'm sure it's nothing like an authentic oriental place makes.

LOL... I have been told I make better hot and sour soup than most chinese restaurants.... I got a rave review for my potstickers...
but that duck .. I got a killer recipe from Julia Childs... Duck three ways : roast it rare, joint the legs thigh and wings, and roll them in dijon and crumbs, roast until well; fillet the breast, make a madiera sauce out of the stock from the remains pour over sauteed slices of rare breast; and the skin... slice it and finish cooking it off like bacon..MMMMM!MMMM M!!!!!MMMMMM!!! yummy![/quote]

Sounds good but I do prefer my duck on the medium side. Atleast the breast portion.