Cosby continues Black Attack.

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
Invincible
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Cosby continues Black Attack.

Unread post by Invincible » July 2nd, 2004, 11:54 am

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/01/cosby. ... index.html
Quotes:

Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

"Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street,"

Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/07/01/co ... .cosby.jpg[/img]

DrAsTiC 1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Re: Cosby continues Black Attack.

Unread post by DrAsTiC 1 » July 2nd, 2004, 12:43 pm

damn thats stuff juss ashames me. I really like the cosby show, its amazing what you dont know about the people you see on TV and dont know anything bout.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 2nd, 2004, 1:32 pm

Invincible wrote:Link: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/01/cosby. ... index.html
Quotes:

Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street,"

Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

That was hardly a "tirade" Bill Cosby was "right on the money" with his comments. Everything he said rang true. I am glad someone that has a nationwide voice actually said what he said.

DrAsTiC 1
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by DrAsTiC 1 » July 2nd, 2004, 1:39 pm

sounds like he sayin shit in a disrespectful way tho.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 2nd, 2004, 4:00 pm

Isn't Bill Cosby keeping it real? it that joker you see in that pic, Jesse Jackson that you need to be concerned about. Jesse does not speak out against drugs in our community, crime, babies having babies, etc. and he is supposed to be a Reverend.

BillCosby is just giving i his opinion, and he might be correct.

shadoworder
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by shadoworder » July 2nd, 2004, 5:44 pm

NYorker wrote:
Quotes:

That was hardly a "tirade" Bill Cosby was "right on the money" with his comments. Everything he said rang true. I am glad someone that has a nationwide voice actually said what he said.
i completely agree

Dsmooth
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Dsmooth » July 3rd, 2004, 2:10 am

Yes I do too he's right it sounds harsh because we as blacks don't want to hear it like that. It's better we hear it from a black man than a white man but Bill Cosby is going to have to do more than talk.

Far too long black leaders have talked about what they were going to do but when it came down to it. They were no where around since the Panthers died out there has been no leaders no true leaders.

But he shouldn't generalize because my friends talk ghetto but know how to speak proper english when the occassion arises.

We'll see whats up

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 14th, 2004, 3:31 pm

Excellent article Capo.

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 14th, 2004, 8:07 pm

I have to agree with Alonso Cosby is purely speaking the truth on most of his opinions.

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » July 14th, 2004, 9:35 pm

G bka C.rum wrote:I have to agree with Alonso Cosby is purely speaking the truth on most of his opinions.

I CAN AGREE ON THE TRUTHS MR. COSBY SPOKE ON, BUT DON'T JUST ELABORATE ON THE PROBLEM, GO TO THE "ROOT" OF WHY WE ARE IN THIS SITUATION. ALSO, I CAN'T THINK OF TOO MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN MR. COSBY IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD OR ANY OF THESE OTHERS THAT ARE SUFFERING FROM THINGS HE TALKED ABOUT. IT'S REAL EASY TO AIR OUR DIRTY LAUNDRY OUT FOR ALL TO HEAR, BUT I DIDN'T LIKE HOW HE DIDN'T ELABORATE ON HOW WE AS BLACK FOLK HAVE BEEN TOTALLY BRAINWASHED AND STRIPPED OF WHO WE ARE!!!! THAT HAS TO BE ADDRESED WITH THE THINGS HE TALKED ABOUT.

FOR ME PERSONALLY, AS LONG AS WE THINKING AND BEHAVING LIKE N!@#!@(AS WERE TRAINED TO BE) THESE PROBLEMS HE ADDRESSED WON'T GO AWAY. ONLY UNTIL WE ACCEPT ALLAH(GOD), AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF OURSELVES, WE WILL CONTINUE TO BEHAVE AS WERE AND ARE BEEN TRAINED TO BEHAVE!!!!

SUPPORT REPARATIONS!!!!

D.X
Last edited by 'X' on July 22nd, 2004, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G bka C.rum
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by G bka C.rum » July 14th, 2004, 11:05 pm

For the most front I have to agree with you too bruh. We have to be re-brain-washed again so our minds can be cleaned up of all this filth weve had drilled into us since coming here. What he said was true but like you said whats he gonna help us do about?

Amsterdam
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Amsterdam » July 16th, 2004, 6:30 am

My man is right...we do need 2 take a good look at ourseleves....freak what the otherside thinks. We need to be self governed people in order 2 get any real justice and opportunity.

el tio
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by el tio » July 17th, 2004, 3:51 am

NYorker wrote:
Quotes:

Finally something we can agree on.

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 20th, 2004, 8:41 am

el tio wrote:
NYorker wrote:
Quotes:

Finally something we can agree on.
Ironically if we went issue by issue in a non-partisan way.......we probably agree more than we disagree. Many times it's a matter of semantics.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » July 20th, 2004, 9:24 am

[quote="NYorker"][quote="el tio"][quote="NYorker"][quote="Invincible"]Link: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/01/cosby. ... index.html
Quotes:

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/07/01/co ... .cosby.jpg[/img][/quote]

That was hardly a "tirade" Bill Cosby was "right on the money" with his comments. Everything he said rang true. I am glad someone that has a nationwide voice actually said what he said.[/quote]

Everything Bill Cosby said the same could be said by Bill Gates about white people who live in trailer parks. Most of them don't speak proper english, a lot of them abuse their women, a lot of them call each other rednecks etc etc.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 22nd, 2004, 11:13 am

***Bill Cosby also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.***

Excellent point here:

Don't do anything today they may get you a felony tomorrow. You will discriminate yourself from certain employment. What good will that do for you or your family.

***"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."***

And stupid people without a clue can't do that. Learn to choose your battles. Add to the community. Don't take away from the community (ie gang violence, taggers, domestic violence, reverse racism)

***Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.***

Many people of color have gone through a lot of pain and sacrifice to get you the benefits you enjoy and take for granite everyday. Like going to school, getting a higher education, eating where you want, living where you want. Todays youth are denying each other of civil rights. Back to ...you can't wear what you want, go where you want, live where you, and self lynching all under the color of gang violence.

As long as we are out there trippin and talkin up a gang of spit and doing nothin' about improving our lives...then we fall into what Bill Cosby is talking about.

Over the years is has become "Not Politically Correct" to say anything negative about black people..even if it's true.

Too many black kids today are groomed to fail, with latino kids right behind them.

A minority of today's youth is dissin' school and looking for that Hoop dream or Rap contract and not focusing on the benefits of a good solid general education. Sometimes we don't have the parents to guide us through school, so extra measures need to be taken by using the giudance of school counselors or whomever is availible. You have to make it.. and yes you do have to learn to speak and write english.
Last edited by Common Sense on July 24th, 2004, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 22nd, 2004, 11:51 am

Most recent CNN Poll, as of today:

Is Bill Cosby justified in his recent criticism of some segments of the Black community?

Yes, it's justified 98% 177,349 votes
No, not justified 2% 3,975 votes

el tio
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by el tio » July 23rd, 2004, 5:41 pm

Common Sense wrote:...***Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.***

Many people of color have gone through a lot of pain and sacrifice to get you the benefits you enjoy and take for granite everyday. Like going to school, getting a higher education, eating where you want, living where you want...
You mean people died so a young black man could have the right to walk into McDonalds with his pants under his azz, talking shyt with all hiz friends, banging on the counter, writing on the walls, and then if the cops show up he can just accuse the man of "racism" and then the NAACP will come to the rescue.

I feel sorry for the people that died for that.

And even sorrier for the ingrates who can't and will never appreciate it.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 24th, 2004, 10:16 am

el tio wrote:
Common Sense wrote:...***Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.***

Many people of color have gone through a lot of pain and sacrifice to get you the benefits you enjoy and take for granite everyday. Like going to school, getting a higher education, eating where you want, living where you want...
You mean people died so a young black man could have the right to walk into McDonalds with his pants under his azz, talking shyt with all hiz friends, banging on the counter, writing on the walls, and then if the cops show up he can just accuse the man of "racism" and then the NAACP will come to the rescue.

Well you also have to understand where some of this mentality may stem from. For several hundred years Blacks were systmematically kept uneducated and separated, which you can still see in many Black families today. It has been very hard for some of these families for generations to break this cycle of government induced ignorance. Yes...there is no excuse today, but some families are still living a Jim Crow lifestyle and don't realize it. That is Bill Cosby's point.

He was around before civil rights...... so he's knows the deal.

el tio
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by el tio » July 26th, 2004, 8:43 am

Common Sense wrote:
el tio wrote:

Well you also have to understand where some of this mentality may stem from. For several hundred years Blacks were systmematically kept uneducated and separated, which you can still see in many Black families today. It has been very hard for some of these families for generations to break this cycle of government induced ignorance. Yes...there is no excuse today, but some families are still living a Jim Crow lifestyle and don't realize it. That is Bill Cosby's point.

That's an excuse and you know that common sense. The kids I'm talking about don't have a CLUE about the sufferings of blacks in this country. They've been coddled with REVERSE DISCRIMINATION and white people feeling sorry for their ANCESTORS. The kids of today have not suffered a damn thing!

Maybe in the South but not up in Cali. These are just some shyt talkin', nutz grabbin', chip on their shoulder ingrates......a-la-judakiss.

So please don't fuel the Jordan High dropouts in here with an excuse for their actions. You and I can have that conversation and debate but the other 90% in here will just talk garbage and demand their reparations.

Kemosave
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Kemosave » July 26th, 2004, 9:05 am

You right Common Sense. There is a balance to it. I hope the young Black people wake up from the dream of gangsta superstar rapper and make a conscious choice to break the cycle. Education's not so bad. It's just deferred enjoyment. You have to discipline yourself to go through the process. Hopefully they won't pollute their mind with hate white studies and actually learn something useful that contributes to society in a real way.

LcBwC
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Long Beach

Unread post by LcBwC » July 26th, 2004, 9:40 am

DrAsTiC 1 wrote:damn thats stuff juss ashames me. I really like the cosby show, its amazing what you dont know about the people you see on TV and dont know anything bout.
shut up. you dont even know what you are talking about. He aint sayin it to be racist and put down his people but to wake them up and let them know this is how black america is. He speaking the truth...

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 26th, 2004, 11:31 am

el tio wrote:
Common Sense wrote:
el tio wrote:

That's an excuse and you know that common sense. The kids I'm talking about don't have a CLUE about the sufferings of blacks in this country. They've been coddled with REVERSE DISCRIMINATION and white people feeling sorry for their ANCESTORS. The kids of today have not suffered a damn thing!

Maybe in the South but not up in Cali. These are just some shyt talkin', nutz grabbin', chip on their shoulder ingrates......a-la-judakiss.

So please don't fuel the Jordan High dropouts in here with an excuse for their actions. You and I can have that conversation and debate but the other 90% in here will just talk garbage and demand their reparations.
El Tio:
Not giving excuses at all. I was just briefly explaning the pathology behind it. Nut grabbin' shyt talkers half of the time don't even know why they are talkin' shyt, because it has become a lifestyle passed down for a few generations. When your defences are so built up... to the point where your not accepting new information it's hard to change. Some of these people are products of teenage age parents running the street with them.

It's discussions like this...is where some of these young people may have heard of their actions being a social problem for the first time. Unfortunately the saying: Ignorance is bliss...is a true statement.

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » July 26th, 2004, 3:14 pm

Cosby Sends Two Young Men To College

Bill Cosby is on a roll. Cosby is putting his money where his mouth is. The entertainer is paying for the college education of two top high school graduates who have been supporting themselves.

Cosby read a story in The Republican (of Springfield, Mass.) about two black teenagers, Loren M. Wilder and Jimmy L. Hester. Wilder was 14 when his mother was jailed for dealing drugs, and Hester left home at 15 after years of moving around and fighting with his mother. The two rented an apartment this winter with another student from Putnam Vocational Technical High School.

"Experiencing this with Mr. Cosby has been great," Wilder said. "Here's a guy who has millions of dollars and he's focusing in on the two of us. It's a good feeling." Cosby asked the two young men to name three colleges that they would like to attend and then arranged for them to take a college tour with the use of his private aircraft. Both students settled on Hampton University in Hampton, VA.

"This is all about your careers, your lives "Cosby told the young men. "The more you study, the better you do now, the more will open up to you later.

el tio
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by el tio » July 27th, 2004, 4:34 pm

Common Sense wrote:
el tio wrote:
Common Sense wrote:
el tio wrote:

El Tio:
Not giving excuses at all. I was just briefly explaning the pathology behind it. Nut grabbin' shyt talkers half of the time don't even know why they are talkin' shyt, because it has become a lifestyle passed down for a few generations. When your defences are so built up... to the point where your not accepting new information it's hard to change. Some of these people are products of teenage age parents running the street with them.

It's discussions like this...is where some of these young people may have heard of their actions being a social problem for the first time. Unfortunately the saying: Ignorance is bliss...is a true statement.
True that.

el tio
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by el tio » July 27th, 2004, 4:35 pm

Common Sense wrote:Cosby Sends Two Young Men To College

Bill Cosby is on a roll. Cosby is putting his money where his mouth is. The entertainer is paying for the college education of two top high school graduates who have been supporting themselves.

Cosby read a story in The Republican (of Springfield, Mass.) about two black teenagers, Loren M. Wilder and Jimmy L. Hester. Wilder was 14 when his mother was jailed for dealing drugs, and Hester left home at 15 after years of moving around and fighting with his mother. The two rented an apartment this winter with another student from Putnam Vocational Technical High School.

"Experiencing this with Mr. Cosby has been great," Wilder said. "Here's a guy who has millions of dollars and he's focusing in on the two of us. It's a good feeling." Cosby asked the two young men to name three colleges that they would like to attend and then arranged for them to take a college tour with the use of his private aircraft. Both students settled on Hampton University in Hampton, VA.

"This is all about your careers, your lives "Cosby told the young men. "The more you study, the better you do now, the more will open up to you later.
Of course the ingrates will say...."2 that's it???"

Cosby is the MAN!

COSBY FOR PRESIDENT!

NYorker
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by NYorker » July 27th, 2004, 10:43 pm

el tio wrote:
Common Sense wrote:Cosby Sends Two Young Men To College

Of course the ingrates will say...."2 that's it???"

Cosby is the MAN!

COSBY FOR PRESIDENT!
LOL ......here's a candidate we can both agree on. ;)

Common Sense
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Common Sense » August 8th, 2004, 9:52 am

Remember this teacher.... was almost fired two years ago for saying what Bill Cosby said on national television.

Posted on 10/31/2002 10:34:37 AM PST by Weimdog

Muir science teacher reinstated By Marie Leech, Staff Writer

PASADENA

A veteran science teacher who was suspended for stating in a letter that most of the poorly behaving students at the school were African American will be back Monday morning to teach class.

Click here to read Phelps' email

Muir High School teacher Scott Phelps was placed on paid administrative leave last week for claiming in a three-page letter to teachers that "Overwhelmingly, the students whose behavior makes the hallways deafening, who yell out for the teacher and demand immediate attention in class, who cannot seem to stop chatting and are fascinated by each other and relationships but not with academics ... are African American.'

The letter caused an uproar and a division of opinion in the educational community and beyond.

"Scott Phelps will be back at John Muir on Monday, but that doesn't solve our problem,' said George McKenna, assistant superintendent for secondary schools at the Pasadena Unified School District, at a community meeting held by the Black Males Forum Wednesday. The meeting, held at the Urban League, was held to discuss the problems cited by Phelps.

After making the announcement about Phelps' reinstatement, cheers echoed in the room.

"Beginning next week, we'll begin to solve the problems at Muir High School,' McKenna said. "I will be spending a lot of time there and I will have to stop going to other schools for a while.'

Phelps said he wrote the letter to make district officials aware that the poorly behaved African-American students need to be disciplined or taught in a different way than other students. African Americans have different behavioral patterns than other groups at the school, he said.

Phelps said he is happy to be reinstated but even happier that people are taking his letter so seriously.

"I'm pleased to be back with my kids,' he said. "The public debate this has caused is good. It becomes about solving problems now.'

Muir is comprised of 47 percent African Americans and 42 percent Latinos. At Muir, African Americans rank among the lowest in standardized test scores.

"African Americans are the lowest-scoring group by far,' Phelps said. "This is the problem in Pasadena.'

McKenna invited residents to be a part of the solution at the school and said he will be working closely with teachers as well.

Pasadena civil rights attorney Bert Voorhees said he thought Phelps should be fired for his comments.

"There are few things short of molesting a child that should be taken as seriously as making racist comments in a school setting,' he said. "High school is such a difficult time anyway and when a high school teacher tells a group of students that they're not valuable and that they don't belong, it's really devastating and unbelievable to me.'

Marie Leech can be reached at (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4494, or by e-mail at marie.leech@sgvn.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPICS: Announcements; Culture/Society; Editorial; Government; Miscellaneous; News/Current Events; US: California
KEYWORDS: MUIRHIGHSCHOOL; PASADENA; PC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The administrators backed down big time!
Phelps is right and they know it.

Will anything change... I doubt it.

1 posted on 10/31/2002 10:34:38 AM PST by Weimdog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies ]

To: mhking
ping

2 posted on 10/31/2002 10:45:48 AM PST by farmfriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Weimdog
'when a high school teacher tells a group of students that they're not valuable and that they don't belong, it's really devastating and unbelievable to me.'
Notice the deliberate misquote. The teacher never said or wrote anything close to that.

Clearly, HE is the one who is race-baiting.

3 posted on 10/31/2002 10:47:40 AM PST by capt. norm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: Weimdog

Thanks for the post. Pasadena civil rights attorney Bert Voorhees... what a nut job! Point out the plain and simple test score statistics and suddenly you're on a par with child molesters. I'm glad they reinstated this guy... I wonder if everybody involved is going to invest as much energy in solving the predicted low test scores as they did trying to crucify Phelp... doubtfull.

Phelp's email:

hi all,
i was looking at Muir's API improvement, and it looks like it's something real. however, i want to assure the group that despite the hours of volunteer work we did on saturday mornings last year on test prep, it is most definitely NOT a real improvement and should be no cause of comfort to anyone. we went up in 2000, down in 2001 and now up in 2002. as i have indicated on this list, these fluctuations are entirely due to the presence of absence of certain cohorts.

For example, this past year we had the good cohort of the class of 2003 (the one Mary Dee got to see the homecoming candidates of, and the one to produce the just announced Rose Court princess) and a good cohort of the class of 2005. However, next year, I am announcing right now, Muir's API will not meet its target, and will probably even go down.

This is because next year, we will have two "bad" cohorts, the classes of 2004 and 2006, currently our 9th and 11th graders, taking the test. Our current 11th graders did terribly last year, and have all along their history. Their poor behavior and lack of academic focus was very noticeable last year as 10th graders. This year, I can tell you that the 9th graders are bouncing off the walls.

They are horrible. Class is something they do in between the passing periods, lunch or nutrition break, when they chase each other through the hallways, into classrooms, yelling at the top of their lungs, etc. We had three fights the other day, mostly between 9th grade girls!

I can tell you right now that the presence of these two bad cohorts cannot mathematically be overcome by our good cohort, our current 10th graders. The laws of math do not permit one grade's good scores to outweigh the bad scores of two grades. Sorry, and it has absolutely nothing to do with teachers or curriculum, although i know that many on this list, and the guy quoted in the PSN from the state about "holding schools and teachers accountable (what nonsense!)," and George McKenna, and our site administrators, would have you believe that it is we teachers' fault. Absolute rubbish.

The difference between our scores and those of the vaunted surrounding, higher SES districts is, as we all know, directly correlated with SES. As I said in the Pasadena Weekly in response to McKenna's nonsense, the reason for this is lack of buy-in and seriousness of purpose. Let me be more specific.

The behavior of our 9th grade, low-SES students in no way correlates with the behavior of serious students. These are the kids whose parents I did not see tonight at Back to School night.

As an interesting observation, the parents of my BEST, and only my best, 9th graders showed up. The parents of the three students who got B's. No, the kids whose parents didn't show up are the kids who aren't in the disproportionately high SES band/choir. Their parents were not at school tonight. Teachers can tell you there is a 1 to 1 correspondence between the good students and the parents who show up.

Since Muir is about 48% African -American, most of these poorly-behaving students tend to be of that ethnicity. Obviously, there are very well-behaved African-American students. I noticed that I saw their parents tonight. But overwhelmingly, the students whose behavior makes the hallways deafening, who yell out for the teacher and demand immediate attention in class, who cannot seem to stop chatting and are fascinated by each other and relationships but not with academics, in short whose behavior saps the strength and energy of us that are on the front lines, are African-American.

Eventually, someone in power will have the courage to say this publicly. The test scores certainly bear this out, as African-Americans are our lowest scoring group by far.

This is the problem in Pasadena. Most teachers are not African-American. And as a physics type, I can tell you there is this thing called the conservation of energy. We only have so much.

The students I am speaking of, who demonstrate such behavior, seem to only behave when we get very angry at them, which saps our energy considerably. I have seen two science teachers in my department who get the lower SES students to behave very well. They are both African-American and have no trouble "going off" on the kids. One of them is considering retiring as he is tired of it. By the way, this is also one of the major reasons for the high turnover in the PUSD, poor behavior. Of course the presence of the Puzzle Palace at 351 S. Hudson adds insult to injury.

Despite the message that we teachers get beaten up with every Monday morning, i. e., that we are not doing enough, etc., curriculum standards have nothing to do with it. It is about student buy-in. Standards of behavior, or the lack thereof, do have a lot to do with it. Serious academic behavior is the reason for high scores.

Somehow, in the ridiculousness of the accountability movement, someone decided that we could force people to behave, to learn, to achieve. Sorry, that's not the way human beings work. They do get inspired by teachers, but we know, as evidenced by the district's blatant disregard for the no-teacher situation at Blair, the no-schedule situation at Marshall, that the district has little regard for its teachers and its school sites. So it's very hard for a teacher to have good morale and be inspiring.

No, for the PUSD brass it is all about looking good, as so many listmembers have shown. No serious collaboration between the new brass, and the people that actually work with our students, and know a few things, has taken place since the arrival of our country bumpkins. I doubt any real collaboration has occurred between the brass and our site administrators.

Certainly our site administrators are now just toeing the party line, passing along the simplistic mindset of the brass. As I said, what it amounts to is piling more work and blame on the teachers, and never really listening to us. Making us fill out forms that make for site plans that once again "look good." And making simplistic administrative decisions that cut promising programs that have proven records of inspiring youngsters.

How did the seemingly intelligent, good people on the Board decide to completely trust the administration of our schools to these folk downtown? People who sit in their Puzzle Palace and think of silly homework policies that bear no relation to a real classroom situation. Why do we continue to allow there to be such a structure?

Sincerely,

Scott Phelps