Obama Being Pressured to Reject Church & Farrakhan

The topics of Race & Religion are discussed in this section.
'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Unread post by 'X' » January 24th, 2008, 3:30 pm

by DD

Here we go again..As I'm reading these articles(below) about Barack Obama and Minister Farrakhan I am taken back to 1984 when Jesse Jackson was perched on the verge of making history by running for President. He got caught up with a huge controversy because of his association with Minister Farrakhan which was complicated when it was revealed that he had referred to New York as Hymietown during an off the record conversation.

Jackson apologized for the remark but Jewish organizations like the ADL (anti-Defemation League) came after him and put up a litmus test which required him to repudiate Minister Farrakhan who they felt was anti-semetic. I didn't matterthat up to that time Jackson who is Christian had a good relationship with the Minister who is Muslim. It didn't matter whether or not Jesse was intelligent enough to agree with the Minister on some things while disagreeing with him on others. From these outside groups, it was an all or nothing deal, repudiate him him or forever be seen as anti-semtic.

Keep in mind up to that point the Minister had on numerous occasions provided Jackson with security. Like Obama, Jackson's quest for presidency was plagued by death threats by white rascists who did not wish to see a Black man become President. Before Jesse started getting secret service protection, it was the NOI that held him down. It wasn't the ADL (Anti-Defemation League, the Isreali Secret Service (the Mossad) or the militant JDL (Jewish Defense League).

On the few occasions Jesse traveled outside the country the US Secret Service said they could not go and protect him and again it was the Nation of Islam that held him down. The NOI for many were shining examples of men in the community who had reformed themselves and committed themselves to being an uplifting force and not a destructive one. Personally I think people in the community are smart enough to accept and reject the politics and beliefs of anyone who they routinely engage. We see people sit in front of preachers and pastors all the time and reject everything from pre-marriagable sex to the amount of tides we're supposed to give.

How many of us go to Churches that say 'No' to gays and gay marriage, yet many of us reject that precept and support gay rights? How many of us have seen traditional religious teachings put women in back seat, yet many of us ignore that? So why can't someone allowed to sit before Farrakhan and accept and reject thoughts and teachings in the same vein. Many listen to this brother speak and have yet to get up and start praying to Allah, so I'm quite sure if he actually does say something offensive or even outlandish then folks are intelligent enough to say 'no' without the help of the ADL, Sean Hannity or anyone else...

In the case of Jesse Jackson, he eventually wound up publicly repudiating the Minister which didn't sit well with many who saw the NOI as stallworth members of the community. Jackson bowing down was a precursor to the infamous Bill Clinton dis of Sista Souljah, where Black leaders were ultimately made to show how powerless they were by folks outside the community who would 'put them in their place'. Jackson a brilliant and intelligent man who was the pride of Black folks all around the world was forced to bow down by people who seemingly don't bow down or apologize for their choose of politics or leaders.

As I'm reading these articles I'm seeing this same sort of litmus test being raised with Obama who is basically being pressured to repudiate his church and anyone else who is associated with it because of their support for Minister Farrakhan. If he does that it will be seen as the ultimate punk move. Hell, Presidential candidate Ron Paul sat up in a recent interview and boldly told me and other reporters who were present that he'll continue to take money from white supremacist groups like the Ku Klux Klan and that people shouldn't have to worry because he's not influenced by their politics or policies. Where's the litmus test for Paul and those who support him?

The same forces that came after Jesse in 84 have not and do not apologize for supporting nationalistic policies like Zionism which many see as deeply problematic. They don't apologize for the support a country and its leaders who were showing support for Apartheid, South Africa at a time when the majority of the world was protesting and calling for economic sanctions. There's no apology for the support of leaders like former Defense and later Prime Minister Ariel Sharon who was known as "the Butcher" because of the ruthlessness he demonstrated against Lebanese folks. Like I said if Obama bows down to this, it'll be a punk move.

D.D.

from thejewishweek.com
by Larry Cohler-Esses
Editor At Large

The leader of the Anti-Defamation League called presidential candidate Barack Obama's spiritual mentor and pastor a "black racist" Tuesday and called upon the Illinois Democrat to "confront his minister" on his embrace of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

ADL National Director Abraham Foxman issued his call after an ADL press release put out earlier the same day "welcomed" an Obama statement unambiguously condemning "anti-Semitic statements made by Minister Farrakhan." The Obama statement distanced the senator from a decision by his church's magazine to honor Farrakhan with an award named for his pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.

[On Wednesday morning, as The Jewish Week went to press, Foxman left a voice mail message amending his remarks, saying, Rev. Wright
"embraces, awards and celebrates a black racist. I think [calling him] racist is going a little bit too far." :roll: ]

In the November/December issue of the Trinity United Church of Christ's Trumpet Magazine, published just prior to the award ceremony, Rev. Wright — who Obama credits with bringing him to Christianity, presiding over his wedding ceremony, baptizing his daughter and dedicating his Chicago home — states: "When Minister Farrakhan speaks, Black America listens. Everybody may not agree with him, but they listen. ... His depth on analysis when it comes to the racial ills of this nation is astounding and eye opening. He brings a perspective that is helpful and honest.

"Minister Farrakhan will be remembered as one of the 20th and 21st century giants of the African American religious experience," Rev. Wright declares.

According to ADL, as recently as Nov. 7, in a speech at his Chicago mosque one month prior to the Chicago church's awards ceremony, Minister Farrakhan sermonized, "Do you know some of these satanic Jews have taken over BET [Black Entertainment Television network]? ... Everything that we built, they have. The mind of Satan now is running the record industry, movie industry and television. And they make us look like we're the murder[er]s; we look like we're the gangsters, but we're punk stuff."

On Tuesday, Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen wrote about the award given by the magazine, which is published and edited by Rev. Wright's daughters. "It's important to state right off that nothing in Obama's record suggests he harbors anti-Semitic views or agrees with Wright when it comes to Farrakhan," Cohen stressed. He noted that Obama's top campaign strategist, David Axelrod, had told him this was one of any number of cases in which he and his minister "disagree."

"Fine," wrote Cohen. "[But] the Obama camp takes the view that its candidate, now that he has been told about the award, is under no obligation to speak out on the Farrakhan matter. ... He could be the next American president. Where is his sense of outrage?" :roll:

Cohen's column came one day after Newsmax.com, a right-wing Web site, published a detailed story on the issue by Ronald Kessler, a former Washington Post investigative reporter.

Obama's statement, released Tuesday afternoon, declared, "I decry racism and anti-Semitism in every form and strongly condemn the anti-Semitic statements made by Minister Farrakhan. I assume that Trumpet Magazine made its own decision to honor Farrakhan based on his efforts to rehabilitate ex-offenders, but it is not a decision with which I agree."

The ADL's press release, put out soon after, welcomed Obama's "condemnation of the anti-Semitic rhetoric of Louis Farrakhan, and his making clear that he did not agree with his church's decision. ... Issues of racism and anti-Semitism must be beyond the bounds of politics. When someone close to a political figure shows sympathy and support for an individual who makes his name espousing bigotry, that political figure needs to distance himself from that decision. Senator Obama has done just that."

But in an interview with The Jewish Week, Foxman said this must be just a first step. "He's distanced himself from his pastor's decision to honor Farrakhan. He has not distanced himself from his pastor. I think that's the next step. One can now expect from Sen. Obama that he confront his minister." :shock:

Ultimately, said Foxman, if Obama is unable to influence Wright to alter his stands, "I think he has an obligation to leave."

The Obama campaign did not respond to repeated efforts to obtain a response to Foxman's remarks. A message left with the spokesperson for Rev. Wright's church also went unanswered.

Early last year, Rev. Wright announced plans to retire from the pulpit this May. It could not be learned what status, if any, he will retain at the church, which he founded in 1972, on the city's far South Side. The church bulletin currently lists Rev. Wright's successor as "pastor" above the name of Rev. Wright, who is titled "senior pastor."

The church, which began with a handful of members, is now a powerhouse on the South Side, boasting members prominent in business, arts and culture. The Trumpet, which it sponsors, now has national distribution. Others the magazine honored with awards at Chicago's Hyatt last November included jazz singer Nancy Wilson, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.). The church itself, at 8,500 members, is now the largest within the United Church of Christ denomination.

In addition to his lauding of Rev. Farrakhan, Rev. Wright's stands include strong criticism of Israel and Zionism — in stark contrast to Obama. Since his 2004 arrival in the Senate, Obama has strongly backed Israel on issues ranging from its bombing of Lebanon during the war of summer 2006, which killed hundreds of civilians, to its right to be free of U.S. pressure in negotiating with its enemies. The neoconservative New York Sun, among others, has praised Obama for his strong support of the Jewish state and sharply rebutted critics who charge otherwise. Lee Rosenberg, national treasurer of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the Washington-based pro-Israel lobby, is a member of Obama's finance committee and a longtime supporter, as is billionaire Jewish philanthropist and pro-Israel stalwart Lester Crowne of Chicago.

According to a New York Times profile last April, Rev. Wright has said that Zionism has an element of "white racism." Kessler, the Newsmax journalist, quotes Wright saying, "The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now. Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism."

Kessler, who did not interview Rev. Wright, gives no source for the quote. The United Church of Christ denomination came out in support of disinvesting in companies that do business in Israel in 2005. But its leaders withdrew that resolution last year and passed one calling for further study of the issue.

The Times profile of Rev. Wright also notes that on the Sunday after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, he sermonized that the attacks were a consequence of violent American policies. Four years later, The Times reported, Rev. Wright wrote that the attacks proved "people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just 'disappeared' as the Great White West went on its merry way of ignoring Black concerns."

Asked about this, Obama told The Times, "The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification." He said he was not there for Rev. Wright's sermon after the attacks but ventured, "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative."

"What I value most about Pastor Wright is not his day-to-day political advice," Obama told the Chicago Tribune in January 2007, when Wright announced his retirement plans. "He's much more of a sounding board for me to make sure that I am speaking as truthfully about what I believe as possible and that I'm not losing myself in some of the hype and hoopla and stress that's involved in national politics."

In his interview with The Jewish Week, Foxman appeared to allude to charges of racism that have been made against Rev. Wright and his church, based on false assertions that the church excludes whites as part of a self-styled Afro-centric focus and emphasis on "black liberation theology." A Newsweek fact-check of this charge last week found that the church has welcomed non-blacks to its services frequently. The report termed Rev. Wright "a fiery advocate for blacks and liberal causes, and a fierce critic of anti-black discrimination." But, it said, "we see no evidence that he preaches hatred or discrimination against whites."

"I would say he is a black racist," Foxman said of Rev. Wright. :roll: "Certainly he has very strong anti-Israel views. But I don't think Obama sought out the church because of that."

The Times profile last April reported that ADL "says it has no evidence of any anti-Semitism by Mr. Wright." Asked about this, Foxman replied that anti-Semitism is not synonymous with racism.

"He's for Africa for Africans," said Foxman. "But nothing I've seen would make me call him an anti-Semite."

Foxman recalled that in 1995, he publicly walked out on the synagogue of which he was a member for more than 20 years. Its spiritual leader, he concluded, was preaching extremist hatred against Israel's leadership, whose promotion of the Oslo peace process the rabbi opposed. Unlike Rev. Wright and Obama, Rabbi Steven Pruzansky and Foxman had no long and close relationship with each other. Rabbi Pruzansky had only assumed the pulpit of Congregation B'nai Yeshurun in Teaneck, N.J., one year earlier. Foxman's long presence there, however, meant many strong ties to other members of his spiritual community.

"I don't want to compare myself to Obama," said Foxman. "I left my synagogue. But I didn't leave it immediately. I tried to have my rabbi change his views. I went to fellow congregants to see if they could have an impact on him. Only at a point in time where that didn't happen, I resigned.

"I think the next step for Obama is to challenge his minister on these views," he said. "He may change his minister's view, in which case, very good. If not, I think he has an obligation to leave." :shock:

'X'
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: North Dakota
What city do you live in now?: ........

Re: Obama Being Pressured to Reject Church & Farrakhan

Unread post by 'X' » January 24th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Once again, they try to decide/force us to choose who to be against.

DD wrote:

As I'm reading these articles I'm seeing this same sort of litmus test being raised with Obama who is basically being pressured to repudiate his church and anyone else who is associated with it because of their support for Minister Farrakhan. If he does that it will be seen as the ultimate punk move.
"The ulitimate punk move" huh? Who would be surprised if/when Obama "denounces" The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan? History proves many Black folk have bowed to "their" pressure and threats only to still not gain the position they were seeking in the first place. It takes a strong minded, confident, unafraid type to stand with The Honrable Minister Louis Farrakhan and the NOI and not "bow" to the pressure/threats from the enemy. Many have all of sudden changed there positon and stance on the NOI, from ball players, preachers, politicians etc..etc.. But the trip part is 'secretly'(because of their fear)many of them still support the NOI and The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan.

DD wrote:It didn't matter whether or not Jesse was intelligent enough to agree with the Minister on some things while disagreeing with him on others. From these outside groups, it was an all or nothing deal, repudiate him him or forever be seen as anti-semtic.

"All or nothing" huh? Wow!

DD wrote:Black leaders were ultimately made to show how powerless they were by folks outside the community who would 'put them in their place'. Jackson a brilliant and intelligent man who was the pride of Black folks all around the world was forced to bow down by people who seemingly don't bow down or apologize for their choose of politics or leaders.

'Put them in their place" huh? And what "place" is that?

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Re: Obama Being Pressured to Reject Church & Farrakhan

Unread post by alexalonso » January 28th, 2008, 3:40 am

'X' wrote:Once again, they try to decide/force us to choose who to be against.

DD wrote:

As I'm reading these articles I'm seeing this same sort of litmus test being raised with Obama who is basically being pressured to repudiate his church and anyone else who is associated with it because of their support for Minister Farrakhan. If he does that it will be seen as the ultimate punk move.
"The ulitimate punk move" huh? Who would be surprised if/when Obama "denounces" The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan? History proves many Black folk have bowed to "their" pressure and threats only to still not gain the position they were seeking in the first place. It takes a strong minded, confident, unafraid type to stand with The Honrable Minister Louis Farrakhan and the NOI and not "bow" to the pressure/threats from the enemy. Many have all of sudden changed there positon and stance on the NOI, from ball players, preachers, politicians etc..etc.. But the trip part is 'secretly'(because of their fear)many of them still support the NOI and The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan.

Every smart muslim turned their back, and rightfully so, on the nation, including Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, and even the son of Elijah Muhammed, so it should not surprise anyone, if Obama, or any other non-Muslim denounces Farrakhan. He is a hater, who preaches racial separation and mixes politics with worship, a big No No. I measure the integrity of a religious leader by how much he stays away from racial charged political rhetoric and Farrakhan along with many other leaders including Jim Baker, Jesse Jackson have failed. All these guys represent the anti-christ.

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Montreal

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » January 28th, 2008, 11:26 am

Farrakhan speeches are like jokes...

A black comedian can talk about white people and everbody laugh. A white comedian can't say anything about black people or it makes headline news; blacks are outraged- citing racism.

On the flipside- Bush can say what he wants to say, lie when he wants to lie, and the nation supports it. When Farrakhan says something it is put under a microscope and magnified; so everyone scrutinizes him and his comments.

Any Catholics running for the Presidency???

justice league
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by justice league » January 28th, 2008, 11:43 am

AllhoodPublications wrote:Farrakhan speeches are like jokes...

A black comedian can talk about white people and everbody laugh. A white comedian can't say anything about black people or it makes headline news; blacks are outraged- citing racism.

On the flipside- Bush can say what he wants to say, lie when he wants to lie, and the nation supports it. When Farrakhan says something it is put under a microscope and magnified; so everyone scrutinizes him and his comments.

they shot Kennedy

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » January 28th, 2008, 11:45 am

justice league wrote: they shot Kennedy
:shock:

Exactly my conclusion...

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » January 29th, 2008, 12:35 am

the Bush haters are on him about Iraq. Michael Moore and many other have called Bush the dumbest president ever, a war monger and many other negative statements, so I dont see that Bush is getting a free pass. Ever listen to Air America 1150 AM I think? They talk mess about Bush all day long.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Farrakhan: Stick With Obama

Unread post by Tre » March 3rd, 2008, 4:45 am

Farrakhan: Stick With Obama

By SOPHIA TAREEN

CHICAGO (AP) — Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan said Thursday that backers of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama shouldn't be dissuaded by the senator's denunciation of Farrakhan during a Democratic debate.

His statement comes after Obama was asked during Tuesday's televised debate with Democratic presidential rival Hillary Rodham Clinton about Farrakhan's support for the Obama campaign. Obama said he denounces Farrakhan's past anti-Semitic remarks and rejects his support.

Farrakhan sent an unsolicited statement Thursday to The Associated Press that he said was meant to respond to "outrage expressed by many" over Obama's comments.

"Those who have been supporting Sen. Barack Obama should not allow what was said during the Feb. 26 presidential debate to lessen their support for his campaign. This is simply mischief making intended to hurt Mr. Obama politically."

Farrakhan, through a spokesman, later clarified that by "mischief making" he was referring to the questions posed by debate moderator Tim Russert, host of NBC's "Meet the Press."

The issue arose Sunday, when Farrakhan praised Obama before a large Nation of Islam gathering, even comparing him to the religion's founder, Wallace D. Fard Muhammad, who Farrakhan claims also had a white mother and black father.

"A black man with a white mother became a savior to us," Farrakhan said Sunday. "A black man with a white mother could turn out to be one who can lift America from her fall."

The Obama campaign moved quickly to distance itself from Farrakhan. Just hours after the address, the campaign said, "Senator Obama has been clear in his objections to Minister Farrakhan's past pronouncements and has not solicited the minister's support."

Farrakhan has drawn widespread attention in the past for making anti-Semitic remarks, including calling Judaism a "gutter religion." In recent years, officials with the Nation of Islam have said they favor unity and tolerance among religions, and Farrakhan now often quotes the texts of other religions in his speeches.

Officials with the Nation have long argued that Farrakhan's comments are often taken out of context.

During Tuesday's debate, Russert pressed Obama about whether he accepts Farrakhan's support. The senator responded that while both he and Farrakhan live in Chicago, that's where their ties end.

"I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments. I think that they are unacceptable and reprehensible," Obama said. "I did not solicit this support."

Following an exchange with Clinton, he then added: "There's no formal offer of help from Minister Farrakhan that would involve me rejecting it. But if the word 'reject' Senator Clinton feels is stronger than the word 'denounce,' then I'm happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5juBL ... AD8V3ITMO1

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 8th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Us independents have washed our hands of him as well.
alexalonso wrote:

the Bush haters are on him about Iraq. Michael Moore and many other have called Bush the dumbest president ever, a war monger and many other negative statements, so I dont see that Bush is getting a free pass. Ever listen to Air America 1150 AM I think? They talk mess about Bush all day long.

Va.Real

Unread post by Va.Real » April 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Its obvious that Allhoodpublications is not informed with whats been going on in the black community for the past 400 plus years...

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » April 8th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Why did you say that mess dude? Allhooodpublications has really good interviews these days.
Va.Real wrote:Its obvious that Allhoodpublications is not informed with whats been going on in the black community for the past 400 plus years...

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » April 27th, 2008, 7:14 pm

too much time spent on color.....thats the LAST thing you need to focuss on right now....and farakhan keeps rubbing peeps noses in it......well.....he is an IDIOT and anyone remotely affiliated with christianity should reject him....maybe not his person but his drivel that he spews

AllhoodPublications
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by AllhoodPublications » April 29th, 2008, 11:03 am

Va.Real wrote:Its obvious that Allhoodpublications is not informed with whats been going on in the black community for the past 400 plus years...
Please explain whats been going on in the black community for the past 400 years besides jealousy, hatred, envy, infiltration and genocide. Of course, I boldy admit to falling under the category of non educated. :-(