Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 438
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 10th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that LA is the only place with distinguishable tattoo markings in the world, and possibly Japan?

Maori and Samoans both have very distinctive tattooing, and have carried the tradition for centuries(remember, they invented it), from markings, to color, to pattern to placing, there is nothing mistakable when you see a Polynesian tattooed in the old fashion of pull and prick, and trust me, a lot of them still get it, even those displaced from their countries of origin get the pull and prick tribal(no not frat bro tribal) patterns.

You may make the argument that, though polynesians do have very distinctive tattoo style it's hard to tell apart a Samoan pattern from a Maori from etc etc, but thats like saying "All Asians look Chinese to me." Just because you're not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know doesn't mean it's not true, it's not all absolutes outside your head homeboy.

If you know whats up then you'll know a Thai Monk when you see when in a crowd of monks from all over Asian, he'll be the one tatted down in the distinctive style Thai Monks get tatted in using the age old 'pull and prick" method.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by Sentenza » October 11th, 2010, 8:56 am

buLLetxx2 wrote:Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that LA is the only place with distinguishable tattoo markings in the world, and possibly Japan?

Maori and Samoans both have very distinctive tattooing, and have carried the tradition for centuries(remember, they invented it), from markings, to color, to pattern to placing, there is nothing mistakable when you see a Polynesian tattooed in the old fashion of pull and prick, and trust me, a lot of them still get it, even those displaced from their countries of origin get the pull and prick tribal(no not frat bro tribal) patterns.

You may make the argument that, though polynesians do have very distinctive tattoo style it's hard to tell apart a Samoan pattern from a Maori from etc etc, but thats like saying "All Asians look Chinese to me." Just because you're not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know doesn't mean it's not true, it's not all absolutes outside your head homeboy.

If you know whats up then you'll know a Thai Monk when you see when in a crowd of monks from all over Asian, he'll be the one tatted down in the distinctive style Thai Monks get tatted in using the age old 'pull and prick" method.
Good shit. 100% truth. Even Africans and Europeans had tattoo styles of their own long before America had even been discovered.
Gauls, Celts, Goths, Teutons, Picts and Scots


Greek and Roman historians reported that Britons, Iberians, Gauls, Goths, Teutons, Picts and Scots bore tattoo marks.
Image

Image
The Celts were a tribal people who moved across Western Europe between C.1200 and 700 BC. They reached the British Isles around 400 BC and most of what has survived from their culture is in the areas now known as Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
African Tattoos
If that is not a unique style, i dont know what is.

Image
A form of tattooing called cicatrisation or scarification is widely practiced in traditional African societies. Rubbing charcoal into small cuts made with razors or thorns forms decorative patterns of scar tissue in the skin. These designs are often indicative of social rank, traits of character, political status and religious authority.
http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_m ... story.html

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 11th, 2010, 10:10 am

Good shit. 100% truth. Even Africans and Europeans had tattoo styles of their own long before America had even been discovered.



YES ? well then where are these styles at present day? Where are the styles of Ancient Aztecs who tattooed hundreds of years before the MAORI were discovered by the west/ or um the African--holder of the oldest tattooed skin? Lets call it AFRICANING instead of tattooing-----since if records mean anything Africa is the birthplace of tattooing. Any argument out of me? NO!!!!

Did I ever say tattooing was invented by the chicano? Are we not in plain sight seeing that a finished product with figures is RARE? Outside of the abstract tattoos were rare in most places on earth...The Aztec would get dots in circles tattooed on them--The Nisqually would get triangles and circles. Even the MAORIS patterns are abstract. And a placement? Whom besides Japan has such a unique and finished product? THE SOUTHWEST CHICANO. And whose patterns are the most popular worldwide? JAPAN and CHICANO....shoot not even MEXICAN! And in reality not even Japenese as those patterns were limited solely to a criminal class in that nation. As they were to the criminal Mexican American class in THIS nation. The process of elimination asks us to take away instead of to add.......TAKE AWAY : South America-Central America-Canada-leaving the USA and then take away the South-The Midwest-The East ...leaving only the Southwest with a finsihed distinct tattoo flavor. Besides the chicanos art their isnt much American about any tattooing done in this side of the Hemishpere. How can Japenese knockofs be considered American/or a KOI fish/or a Liptus Tree/ or an eye of enlightment? or Japanimation or original Day of the Dead? These are all customs and inkwork of other people in other lands ---not nearly--even close to what is considered American tattooing like Sailor Jerry and Chicano-.....yet African Americans-Natives didnt develop a style of art with teh popularity of the cholo. WHY? would be a stronger question then IF. Because IT IS and their is no disputing the style of Los Angelos tattooing and make no mistake --it is the ONLY REGIONAL tattooing is this country! And on this side of the equator. Its popularity is evident in EVERY European country. This argument that its LA is BS ! Because it is also Texan-New Mexican-Arizonian-Colorodian. Yes all the states were chicanos are have the same type of regional flavor. But where we arent /they are left to mimick our style and throw the jap into it!

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 11th, 2010, 10:20 am

buLLetxx2 wrote:Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that LA is the only place with distinguishable tattoo markings in the world, and possibly Japan?

Maori and Samoans both have very distinctive tattooing, and have carried the tradition for centuries(remember, they invented it), from markings, to color, to pattern to placing, there is nothing mistakable when you see a Polynesian tattooed in the old fashion of pull and prick, and trust me, a lot of them still get it, even those displaced from their countries of origin get the pull and prick tribal(no not frat bro tribal) patterns.

You may make the argument that, though polynesians do have very distinctive tattoo style it's hard to tell apart a Samoan pattern from a Maori from etc etc, but thats like saying "All Asians look Chinese to me." Just because you're not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know doesn't mean it's not true, it's not all absolutes outside your head homeboy.

If you know whats up then you'll know a Thai Monk when you see when in a crowd of monks from all over Asian, he'll be the one tatted down in the distinctive style Thai Monks get tatted in using the age old 'pull and prick" method.

I meant DIFFERENT and DISTINGUISHABLE from anything else done in the world. Inso much as the THAI monk tattoo and the MAORI tattoo is idnetifiable. Or a Mona Lisa identifiable as a Di Vinci. I dont think those of us from these areas are able to clearly see how unique these patterns and placements are as we grew up around them! But make no mistake ---the art is an EYEOPENER everywhere else in the world and although that abdominal lettering shot seems old news to us ---its fresh and new everywhere else,

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 438
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 11th, 2010, 2:15 pm

mayugastank wrote:But make no mistake ---the art is an EYEOPENER everywhere else in the world and although that abdominal lettering shot seems old news to us ---its fresh and new everywhere else,
In popular culture.

I highly doubt the history of Polynesia or Buddhist monks has a place in popular culture and therefore you won't see it smeared on TV screens and Magazine pages but it doesn't mean it does not or has not been been spread beyond it's own respective cultural borders.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, pop culture does not dictate much outside of those in it, ie; (most)teens, (some)young adults and occasionally older adults experiencing an identity crisis.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 11th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Pop culture is directly responsible for the tattoo craze -a craze which started amongst chicanos in the southwest. We were the first to actually make tattoos an accesory. Chicanas were the first to start sporting much of what is tattooed on women now of every race. We dont have to look beyond our own borders to see that not a one ethnic group in this country did as much to influence tattoos becoming mainstream. Now is it a minor fad? definetly not. Its swept across all oceans and all lands-and in this side of the equator much of what is done today started here in Los Angelos---not with everyone ---like you and others try to proclaim---but with the vato-the gangster mexican american chicano. In East Los Angelos the tattoo craze was big in the 70s and I guess the high number of skilled tattoo artists out here made this place a MECCA for skin art. Kat Von D and many like her got her ideas and patterns amongst their own mexican american people. The Rockabilly look that is probably the most popular look for whites now --started in and around Los Angelos --the tattooed --rock chick ---look for fashionista whites has its roots in the OC. Why do you think that is ? I mean their are hundreds of millions of white people/thousands of citys/50 states? Gwen Stefani-Kat Von D-Fergie-Sublime-Cypress Park- were the first whites to really bring that look to the USA --and it is the predominate look for all whites--coast to coast. Ed Hardy was really connected to East Los Angelos, he bought what is considered an American Iconic Tattoo Shop......the starting point for much of what is fashion today WORLDWIDE. --his designs and shirts are nothing more then tattoo patterns. The entire look of America right now is tattoos/tattoo shirts/tattoo looks/......and whom besides us can say their influence dominates the industry like that? Literally their are hundreds upon hundreds of Vatos who blow the competition away in the tattoo world in this Area from East LA touching into the valley. Its not an LA thing dude--its a vato thing---if Asians in this city brought anything to it --it would have to be the Japenese fromteh otehr side of the ocean and not a Japense from out here in the West. Now as for blacks ---pray tell me how they influenced anything of what the art is? I mean youd be HARD PRESSED to find any black in all Los Angelos tattooing at all! Whites out here who are in that scene adopted 100% the stilo of chicanos. How is it an LA thing if no other group is doing it and how is it LA if no other groups art is even involved?

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 11th, 2010, 7:32 pm

One more thing....everyone who as ever done any type of history report about modern American tattooing ---points to the Chicano street art discovered by whites in the 1980s as the beginings of the modern american tattoo craze. Why? because it was the style that revolutionized the art---how? chicanos were begining to ghost fade-incorporate lettering and make the tattoo line invisible--meaning their tattoo needle was begining to resemble the guitar string of the prisons'...extremely fine pointed and almost non existant in the pattern. Its a form of artwork called right brain drawing---and their wasnt a way to do it on skin before the 2 tip needle ( a needle with a extremely fine point) the wash discovered by chicanos to give the ink a blended look also got its beginings here. It was the pintos -gangsters in and out of jail who had the skill and it was an art limited to really white drug addicts whose skin art resembled the Southwest vato they were doing time with and of course the vato. Where else does the art resemble what it is here before LA ink and others threw their hats into it? its like I said teh southwwest flavor is evident as day and everyone seems to know it----but they clearly would like an oppurtunity to say HEY---Chris Browns tattoos are original ---they are black ! BS.

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 438
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 11th, 2010, 8:21 pm

mayugastank wrote:One more thing....everyone who as ever done any type of history report about modern American tattooing ---points to the Chicano street art discovered by whites in the 1980s as the beginings of the modern american tattoo craze.
mayugastank wrote:One more thing....everyone who as ever done any type of history report about modern American tattooing ---.
mayugastank wrote: about modern American tattooing ---.
mayugastank wrote: modern American tattooing ---.
mayugastank wrote: American tattooing ---.
mayugastank wrote: American ---.
It's all perception bro, just because you think popular culture is responsible for the "tattoo craze" as you put it doesn't make it true, the norm, or anything else. This tattoo craze you see is because thats what's put up in everyone's face, all the stupid fucking tattoo shop shows and shit, that'd be me saying Italians pioneered this whole baked goods thing because the Cake Boss spawned like 349 more shows about fucking cakes...and they all use frosting on them shits.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 15th, 2010, 7:14 pm

I dont see how its perception but we can keep going in CIRCLES.....

Fact up until recently only chicano gangsters and occassionally white criminals were tattooed en masse.
Fact white criminals in California-Texas-Az-Nv-Nm tattoo exactly like a chicano but with their own (((((little twist)))))
Fact blacks sold the cholo look to the world as WEST COAST.
Fact their exists NO STYLE of tattooing anywhere on this side of the world (N.S. AMERICA. Central America-Canada) that can be considered regional excpet for SAILOR JERRY and CHICANO designs of which literally hundreds upon hundreds of patterns are PLAYS on chicano themes--be it that THUG ANGEL or that caligraphy chain.
Fact it cant be an Los Angelos style tattooing if Chicanos from Texas borrowed from Chicanos from Los and NM. We ( the entire chicano community ) exchange Ideas with eachother.
Fact no other race should without acknowledgement be abel to wear our ink ---of which literally came from an American Style GULAG and is the invention of American Style TERROR.


If you guys want to use our shit PAY A FAWKING COPYRIGHT.

This argument about whether chicanos took anything from blacks should never be brought up again---as their is NADA more personal to the Chicano movement as our art! NADA--and Chris Brown/Tyga/ The whole LAkers team and LIL WAYNE and God dam the rest of them dont get to just sport OUR shit and have no one say a gotdam word ----even on this thread here we got every chicano talking about it aint ours to make a friend ....well what the fuck is ours then? what?

I mean we got teh brothers selling the whole chicano flavor as some original black invemtion with some dirt napped twist.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 15th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Lol, the true racist coming out in you. "Dirt napped twist."

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 15th, 2010, 8:04 pm

perongregory wrote:Lol, the true racist coming out in you. "Dirt napped twist."
DIRT NAP..twist////


Not Racist...as in dead ass twist /fake ass twist/....not nappy FOOL!!......someone who takes a dirt nap is dead/ so someone who is dead with no look of their own //in can be said also as PUNK ASS LIL ROB RAPPING WITH A DURT NAP TWIST......or rapping when hes dead/fake/goofy/stupid/retarded!!! Stop trying fool! You could Freud me all day and the only thing youll find out about any slips I might make is my infatuation with the big old donkey ass on black women. And how I have always had a thing for a tan skin girl with some ninja lips and curly hair and some ninja buns on a lil ninja ass waist. So yea I guess I do hate black men.....since I am purposely targeting every black girl not on teh extremely dark side for love making and good times ...I am just making sure that no black guy gets her.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 15th, 2010, 8:08 pm

And I cant be racist ---Ive had sort of black girlfriends and have smacked more then a few black asses in my life. I mean I dont deal with black dudes too much but I do enjoy the attention your women used to show me ---before I was on lock. So what would I do without the finest ass who I ever had --that was part black and white? I be at least half the man I am if I didnt have her black ass in my resume/ :P

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 438
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 16th, 2010, 11:43 am

mayugastank wrote:And I cant be racist ---Ive had sort of black girlfriends and have smacked more then a few black asses in my life. I mean I dont deal with black dudes too much but I do enjoy the attention your women used to show me ---before I was on lock. So what would I do without the finest ass who I ever had --that was part black and white? I be at least half the man I am if I didnt have her black ass in my resume/ :P
This post reminded me of a lyric in a song I once heard that went something like, "Hey listen, I don't wanna cause drama, I got lots of black friends, man, I voted for Obama" haha

And, of course, this website.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 16th, 2010, 11:53 am

Man mayuga I killed you pgs. back and you recanted on most of what your saying now you switchin it up for people like bullet and vicious who didnt see the thick of the thread.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 16th, 2010, 2:36 pm

I CANT BE RACIST.....I waved at a black kid down the hall in 3rd grade once.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 16th, 2010, 2:41 pm

perongregory wrote:Man mayuga I killed you pgs. back and you recanted on most of what your saying now you switchin it up for people like bullet and vicious who didnt see the thick of the thread.
Not true -you need not take a look too far to realize that chicano street art is one of the most unique forms of tattooing worldwide and that only the chicano does it in these states. If you headed every which direction in every which continent youd see that NO ONE besides the japenese have anything even remotely similar in popularity. It doesnt seem rare to you because you grew around chicanos but the style fine line black and grey ...is worldwide and it started amongst US . With Literally hundreds and hundreds of patterns/and unique placements. Yet you dont see it-or you refuse to admit it on some hater ass shit-and discount how important it is to the movement when EVERYONE in tattooing openly admits that these styles is what transformed the art ---

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 18th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Answer me this Perongregory---Maino- , Jr .Smith, WAk, are all from the south and East Coast---yet they sport all the identifiers of the cholo-from the placement to the writing to the designs to the lettering--with VERY minor differences. None of these guys are from the West Coast. How did cholo art and cholo style ink get all the way to the East Coast? I mean they werent tattooing like that in the south or East. Like I said before American stye tattooing with a regional twist is ONLY done in the Southwest. It up until Wak-Maino -Jr---got these designs ----no one had probably even seen a chicano in those states but it seems to have taken off tremendously throughout Black America. You say caligraphy wasnt only sported by chicanos well thats not what I remember. In fact I remember CHICANOS battling eachother to see who could caligraphy the best. Heres my take on it. Like alot of what we do --the signs/writing/clothing/cars/tattooing ....blacks who grew up alongside us --travel and bring it to other blacks as an original black idea or as "WEST COAST" when we know for it to be "WEST COAST" everyone wouldve had to been doing it together. Which is definetly not the case. Asians/Armenians/Samoans picked all that up in the 80s. Almost a 100 years after the first cholos. Blacks started getting inked up here in the 2000s. The ideas are really old school in Chicano areas. That casino writing WAK has ---was used by cholos in the early 90s. The styles have improved thru the trend of chicanos to make that ink a fashion -you grew around here--you should know! Tank tops---and inked up designs--upside the head and neck--and crisp ass white Ts' with a neckshot---the look for all blacks NOW. Monster Cody talks about his first ink being done by cholos. Every black out here knows dam well they and whites to a lesser extent got into the trend way way late! But leave here and the cholo designs are blatant and without ZERO deviance. I opened up a mag to see white boyz in Florida and New York with the flipped up bill cap and virgin mary tattoos--caligraphy neck chains---tank tops--and little white boy spins on cholo attire. Why didnt these things take off in the black hotspots? I mean yea blacks and mexicans borrow some shit from eachother but we aint talking and stamping your ink on US----en masse from coast to coast!.....now if their was ever anything that needed clarification its that! I doubt blacks would ever let anyone wear a dashiki--while rapping and cornrolling --and saying MEXICAN POWER-NINJA. But you dont see it or your too embarrassed to admit it. And I get you I would be 2---when I see LIL ROB I cringe and feel like just sticking my head in a hole.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 19th, 2010, 6:13 am

Man I don't giove a shit, obviously you haven't been to Houston, Chicago, the bay, and are to myopic to look at the Mexicans in LA biting black shit daily. The cholo aint pure Mexican that mufucka has other cultures mixed in with some Mexican shit that's what makes him unique.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 749
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 1:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key
Location: Texas

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by ViciousRidah » October 20th, 2010, 12:01 am

mayugastank wrote:
Blacks started getting inked up here in the 2000s. The ideas are really old school in Chicano areas. That casino writing WAK has ---was used by cholos in the early 90s.

I would say the trend of black sporting tats began back in the early to mid 90s.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1193
Joined: November 20th, 2006, 7:11 pm
Country: Canada
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: 408

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by ~J~ » October 20th, 2010, 2:31 pm

ViciousRidah wrote:I would say the trend of black sporting tats began back in the early to mid 90s.
I agree with this.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 20th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Mayuga knows this I stated it pgs. Back and he said I was lying.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 20th, 2010, 7:12 pm

perongregory wrote:Mayuga knows this I stated it pgs. Back and he said I was lying.

No I say your lying now! I never said blacks didnt start sporting them somewhat in the mid 90s-but not nearly as they do now--and not nearly as associated with chicano style street art as now either--blacks werent that blatant in getting EVERYTHING the cholo has from writing styles -fonts/figures/ghost fades/placements like they DO NOW. In fact Id be able to without bias say that the VAST majority of black tatts are chicano knockoffs. The reason I bring it up is so their is no question on whom set the styles,it surely wasnt blacks, and it surely didnt start anywhere else in America but on my block. I read something that said Americas styles are so unique and so different then anything worldwide because of chicano art--not inspite of it. Get this we live in a world of billions -in countries of hundreds--in citys of millions and on this side of the hemisphere only the chicano has a style/an art/a placement. You would have to travel the oceans to see another few cultures with modern style tattooing-or even historic styles. Yet for it all only the chicano and the japenese have a complete package--widely used worldwide. You dont see how RARE and how Different the style is because you have lived around it -known chicanos wwho had it way back and saw it grow as have I ......But believe this that style is the rage in every country worldwide--and in most metropolis' in America. Yet the style took generations to complete and started under the EXACT same history of the YUKUZAs and Russian VOREs....it has developed like no other but its a chicano invention and it begun meagerly into what is now ED HARDY and most graphic prints. It isnt discussed much because some like you and Bullettxx.............would just love to STEAL our artwork by labeling it WESTCOAST or LOS ANGELOS...........BULL. Its SOUTHWESTERN and CHICANO. Its the heart of the movement and way more an identifier of US then some bitch ass lowrider/zootsuit/graffiti/khakis/pendlteons/white T/

Its practiced by pinto chicanos in Houston/El paso/phoenix/Denver/Los Angelos/ Northern Ca/..........its our very essence and you have decided its no big fawking deal and can just straight rip our shit off. I doubt blacks would ever act so graciously. I distinctly remember how when rap started their was a big push to keep it black--and constant acknowledgement reminding everyone of its American Blackness. Dont you remember Vanilla Ice? the reviews on how his white ass was rapping on Aresenio Hall?lol.......Well WTF ? does every NINJA coast to coast just get to rip our shit off like you did with the lowlows and the clean ass gangster look -simple white Ts and a fade? What is ours if this isnt?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 20th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Does every Mexican get to bite the starts if their gangsterism from ethnic whites, blacks etc. And lie about history because they stay with one damn trend forever while everyone moves forward? We put hydo on lolos we got fades even you said mexican taggers took that from blacks, stop lying and going backwards.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 20th, 2010, 9:40 pm

perongregory wrote:Does every Mexican get to bite the starts if their gangsterism from ethnic whites, blacks etc. And lie about history because they stay with one damn trend forever while everyone moves forward? We put hydo on lolos we got fades even you said mexican taggers took that from blacks, stop lying and going backwards.
Yes sure the bald fade is a black thing ---it looks clean and is more stylish then a bald head. So yea -its a good cut ---its why chicanos copied it. I aint the type of dude to be on some jealous trip...black music from funk to oldies to new rap is the best music ever made-its why everyone listens to it --and not LIL ROB who sounds like a screeching pig being stuck with a corn in the cob. Whats best gets copied. The ink we started and the designs/patterns we use is exactly why it gets copied. Because it looks the best-the style is the best-and it flows with anything--But to sit here and deny and or claim it originated on the WEST COAST or is an LA thing is just BS. That word WESTCOAST ...is just simply a way to rip off cholo/chicano styles by giving it a new handle. WEST COAST means what exactly?? because everything I see being labeled WESTCOAST is really just a durt nap rip off of chicano designs and styles.

The hydros supposedly came from low lows ---getting ticketed for being too low to the ground so chicano cruisers put hydros on them to beat the ticket.They would see a cop and go up when the cops left they would go low.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 20th, 2010, 10:05 pm

It aint only blacks I can say it about WEST COAST CHOPPERS-KAT VON D-LAGUNA BEACH whiteboyz....Get the phug off our nutz.
Attachments
justin-bobby-audrina.jpg
LAGUNA BEACH whiteboy tryna sell the world that cholo style
justin-bobby-audrina.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
jesse-james-kat-von-d.jpg
Look like a VATO from the 1980s?
jesse-james-kat-von-d.jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 7767 times

shadow
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
Posts: 32
Joined: January 28th, 2004, 12:39 pm

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by shadow » October 22nd, 2010, 1:59 am

holy s*&^! i have that EXACT same white & black flannel in the top pic you just posted. i used to wear it back in high school, this was 15 years ago mind you. i agree with you though, this style of tattooing, including facial tattoos, originated with chicanos/l.a. surenos.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 22nd, 2010, 7:44 pm

Jesse James the chicano thief. Tell me any trendy type white boy isnt trying to bite this style! Its nationwide---and it aint nothing but a durty ass way white boys dress cholo. I mean even our own RAZA has stopped doing alot of this old school shit --but it will come around again. What gets me is when fools try and say its WESTCOAST.....thats a way to just JACK our getdown and pretend it didnt start with a certain people instead of in a region....cuz chicanos were getting inked up in Texas-AZ-CO-Nm-Up North.........we were all really semiliar those of us who had some type of upbringing in the states. Again I reiterate NO ONE hardly under 10 years ago was getting inked up EXCEPT for cholos-and cholo light white boys----check out the ink old school bikers and others get and youll see how much of it is chicano ----yet they didnt tattoo like that outside of the southwest.
Attachments
imagesCAQ7UTGT.jpg
Jesse James and Sandra Bullock
imagesCAQ7UTGT.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 7740 times
bringing-down-the-brotherhood_8394_40.jpg
Aryan Brotherhood CHOLO light!
bringing-down-the-brotherhood_8394_40.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 7740 times

buLLetxx2
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 438
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
What city do you live in now?: LBxC

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by buLLetxx2 » October 23rd, 2010, 7:38 am

mayugastank wrote:Jesse James the chicano thief. Tell me any trendy type white boy isnt trying to bite this style! Its nationwide---and it aint nothing but a durty ass way white boys dress cholo. I mean even our own RAZA has stopped doing alot of this old school shit --but it will come around again. What gets me is when fools try and say its WESTCOAST.....thats a way to just JACK our getdown and pretend it didnt start with a certain people instead of in a region....because chicanos were getting inked up in Texas-AZ-CO-Nm-Up North.........we were all really semiliar those of us who had some type of upbringing in the states. Again I reiterate NO ONE hardly under 10 years ago was getting inked up EXCEPT for cholos-and cholo light white boys----check out the ink old school bikers and others get and youll see how much of it is chicano ----yet they didnt tattoo like that outside of the southwest.
It's not just westcoast, it's american, like dickies and bandanas, sagging and beanies have been a "chicano" thing forever? Chicanos didn't have much of a Chicano style until they started going to American prisons. Same with the blacks. And you know damn well this is true, from the dress to the tattoos, to the art and so on, if it weren't all you fools would still be rocking zoot suits...and even then that was just another borrowed extension of AMERICAN culture. So what makes it okay for you, Mayugastank, to claim validity and rights to culture cornerstones that were chipped away from another?

There's be no Chicano culture without America and American culture, I'm talking blacks, whites, cops, gap between rich and poor, prison system, racism, xenophobia, all that comes with being in America makes you American when you play into it, regardless of how you play into it. You're now a product of the influence of your surroundings. I mean seriously, are you meaning to tell me that hispanics migrated to this country all tatted down with pendletons over their zoot suit jackets, rocking a beanie and locs, with some frisco bens and nike cortez, and THEN the paisas came over to do field work?

These so called Chicanos that set off the culture were the sons and daughters of straight Paisa ass migrant workers...so much like you knocked first generation Asians for abandonding their culture, the same could be said for your so called chicanos who ditched theirs

This goes right back to the cultural crisis posts I made earlier when you attempted to say people were ripping off chicanos and not the other way around. When your the minority in a foreign land, your culture tends to become stripped and lacks identity over time, then you tend to adapt and adopt from your experiences in your new land and call it 'your culture'.

Chicano culture emerged much in the same way the Asian gangster culture did, much in the same way this White (identity crisis) culture is emerging now, by adapting and adopting their environmental influences.

for you to pick 1 simple aspect of the culture and say everyone and everything is copying it, whilst ignoring all the facts that damn near strip said culture of any validity anyways, is childish.


And before you start making a bunch of moot points I care nothing about, yes I do indeed believe and agree there is a distinct style in which hispanics get tattooed, do i believe only hispanics originated this? No.
Do I believe they popularized this style? Yes
Do I believe it all stemmed from their culture? No, I believe it stemmed from some folks having too much time on their hands in the prison system while also being great artists, then, as with many good things, it evolved in the hands of many many maaaany different people, not just 'chicano' and there in lies the style we see today. Evolved and influenced by (hispanic) Prison art.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 23rd, 2010, 4:17 pm

Bullettxx

"So what makes it okay for you, Mayugastank, to claim validity and rights to culture cornerstones that were chipped away from another? "

The reason I find it okay is because although a native to the land we were viewed as foreigners. Man made borders-disease-war wiped out most native people and most native cultures. Blacks as an example were marginalized in the south to field work -house work-and the fringes of society. So what emerged? A distinct way of speaking-dancing-music-food....Dam near everything a people needs to be a culture....right smack dab in the middle of a nation surrounded by hostile forces-with no identity of their history-or even family lineage --blacks mainly by force but also by that strong love of music/dance/food developed something so unique the world over that people sing and dance and mimick it from Autsralia to Zimbabwe. But when bobbing their heads to jazz --they dont think back to how these men lived and then had stolen from them by whites anything they viewed as hot/cool/the rage.....Its almost as if black-american culture was a bank you could dip into, take what you want--say its yours --make millions --throw nothing the brothers way---not even acknowledgement-and then debate them on if they actually started motown or rnb or rap since its sung in english and well Blacks arent even supposed to be speaking that language! So it cant be black.....lovely. Well here now instead of white thieves as usual I have black thieves taking fronting and portraying gangster with the cultural indentifiers of the vato. NO -not WESTCOAST...everytime I hear that word it is a sure signal that some cultural thieving is going to happen under the guise of a regional flavor. Totally bypassing my chicanos in Texas-Arizona-Colorado-Nuevo Mexico --whom may have actually started alot of what Los Angelos chicanos have been doing. El Paso --is a big contributor to chicano street life. You did admit that the styles chicanos popularized is practiced by all--but you arent seeing that its been a finished product for ALOT of years and that you can add or take a spin to it but its been done for along time.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 5147
Joined: February 12th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by perongregory » October 23rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

My main thing is you are unfairly blaming us using analogies the don't match. Blacks don't own Tv shows that popularize chicano style tattoos, or own majority of shops who do the tattoing, they aren't pimping chicano artists, etc. like whites in the power have done with everything ours even rap. Plus just how black gangsters gave to chicano gangsters some flavor why wouldn't it wrk in reverse? The black appropriation of somethings Chicano is organic, starting at a hood, prison level moving up to the entertainers coming from these neighborhoods. That's like me getting mad at non-black rappers who learn/live with blacks love their culture and go show it to their people. How can I be mad at that when blacks allowed them in? Chicano artist are the ones tattin these black entertainers and regular folk up, or white dudes who've been in it longer who lived or kicked it with Chicanos. You have to blame the Estevan Oriols, Mister Cartoon's, the people who thought Kat von D, etc., not blacks.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 749
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 1:22 am
Country: United States
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key
Location: Texas

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by ViciousRidah » October 24th, 2010, 10:54 pm

perongregory wrote:My main thing is you are unfairly blaming us using analogies the don't match. Blacks don't own Tv shows that popularize chicano style tattoos, or own majority of shops who do the tattoing, they aren't pimping chicano artists, etc. like whites in the power have done with everything ours even rap. Plus just how black gangsters gave to chicano gangsters some flavor why wouldn't it wrk in reverse? The black appropriation of somethings Chicano is organic, starting at a hood, prison level moving up to the entertainers coming from these neighborhoods. That's like me getting mad at non-black rappers who learn/live with blacks love their culture and go show it to their people. How can I be mad at that when blacks allowed them in? Chicano artist are the ones tattin these black entertainers and regular folk up, or white dudes who've been in it longer who lived or kicked it with Chicanos. You have to blame the Estevan Oriols, Mister Cartoon's, the people who thought Kat von D, etc., not blacks.

Couldn't of been said better !!If the Chicano tattooing style is being stolen by other ethnic groups then why not hold to fault the chicano tattoo artist who are giving out these tattoos to non-Chicanos.

mayugastank
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 4th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Country: United States
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Whittier

Re: Chicanos Tattoos on Blacks.

Unread post by mayugastank » October 27th, 2010, 2:01 am

Perongregory"
That's like me getting mad at non-black rappers who learn/live with blacks love their culture and go show it to their people. How can I be mad at that when blacks allowed them in?


Id love that to be true-when people of different races root for the lakers/raiders/Reggie Bush-Akon-Maino-Tupac-Smokey Robinson-The Temprees-whoever....they) at least me) dont give a shit if the dude dunking -tackling -singing is Black -HOWEVER we know he is and we know that that beat/dance move/lyrics are black inspired and the tune is WHY people link BLACK and SOUL. When a vato listens to smokey-he understands that nobody but a NINJA could ever sing a tune that way-and he realizes NO ONE but a NINJA could jump and move and moonwalk that way. Their is a respect thats paid WHETHER you believe it or not. What blacks and others have done is totally bite the style of the southwest chicano and then say "nah man its EVERYONES-they get ZERO credit." Have we heard Maino acknowledge how chicano influenced his tattoos are? LIL WAYNE links his to the style of LA ---another blow---as if we (blacks/asians/armenians/usos) all just came up with the same things at the same time!? nah man their is no such dam thing as WESTCOAST or LA-its Southwestern and its chicano----.......but the black jealousy is so evident that theyd love for chicanos to get zero-and theyd love to sell teh dickies-graff-tattoos-cars-clean/crisp/simple gangster style to the rest of the USA and the world as just some thang-we just came up with out thin air. So blatantly stealing our patterns and have we heard anything anything at all about their origins? until I came along? Or could it be that these EAST COAST fools and SOUTHERN fools just said check my ninja' dis hurr be us" like some black tattoo artist and black pattern emerged out the depths-to give these blacks in close proximatity to the vato the EXACT same flavor as their brown neigbors----yet oh SO different from any brotha anywhere we arent? To bring us to 690 plus posts on whether that style was even started by chicanos? how the hell is that anythig similar to learning-living and loving chicano streetlife? its polar opposite its jealousy/thievery/and slight of hand in correctly believing that chicanos wouldnt bring it up. Or call MAINO to the carpet for rocking all teh identifiers sported by us---while stripping his shirt off to show dem tattoos -----whom he got probably from some low rider arte book

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”