King Tut controversy.

These concepts are socially constructed and have been given much weight. What are your thoughts?
User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

King Tut controversy.

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 18th, 2005, 9:55 pm

As some of you might know King Tut is currently here in Los Angeles visiting for a few days. Now some in the black community are saying that King Tut was black and that he is being "whitewashed."

What do you guys think?


Here is the article.

Los Angeles - US black activists demanded on Wednesday that a bust of Tutankhamun be removed from a landmark exhibition of artefacts from the Egyptian boy king's tomb because the statue portrays him as white.

The bust that activists object to is a central part of Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs, the first US exhibition of relics from King Tut's tomb in nearly 30 years, which opened on Thursday amid Hollywood fanfare.

The face of the legendary pharaoh, who died around 3 300 years ago at the age of just 19, was reconstructed earlier this year through images collected through cat scans of his mummy, found near Luxor in Egypt in 1922.

But Legrand Clegg, a historian and prosecutor of the Los Angeles area city of Compton, is demanding that the bust of King Tut be removed from the show because its rendition of his face is a "distortion of reality".

"They have depicted King Tut as white, but the ancient Egyptians were black people," he told AFP.

'Suppression of black history'

We do not need modern scientists to reconstruct the bust and tell us what to see. Do not deprive black children of their heritage," Legrand said in an appeal to organisers to remove the likeness from display.

The action comes after Los Angeles city officials declined to intervene with exhibition organisers to remove the bust.

"There is no evidence that King Tut was white," Clegg told city officials at a public meeting last week. "Egypt is on the continent of Africa."

Clegg maintains that the inhabitants of ancient Egypt were descended from the black Nubian people that inhabited that country and neighbouring Ethiopia.

He said his group would protest as long as there was a "suppression of black history", that he said was "conspiratorial" and "has to stop".

Organisers of the exhibit billed it as a "blockbuster" display that will leave its mark on the worlds of archaeology.

The pictures below are from the CT Scanning used by French forensic anthropologist Jean-Noël Vignal.

[img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7836/egyptkingtut6wx.jpg[/img][url=http://img288.echo.cx/my.php?image=00030tr.jpg][img]http://img288.echo.cx/img288/7740/00030tr.th.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://img294.echo.cx/my.php?image=00012rm.jpg][img]http://img294.echo.cx/img294/9091/00012rm.th.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://img294.echo.cx/my.php?image=00023sz.jpg][img]http://img294.echo.cx/img294/319/00023sz.th.jpg[/img][/url]

User avatar
fistfullofboomstick
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 892
Joined: May 17th, 2004, 7:28 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Unread post by fistfullofboomstick » June 18th, 2005, 10:36 pm

i dont give a shit if he was black or white, he had slaves and shit, but he was also an important part of civilization as were the egyptians in general, i very much doubt he was white, but what does it fuckin matter

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 18th, 2005, 10:46 pm

I very much doubt he was black. He looks very arab. And yes he did have Nubian slaves.

User avatar
Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 547
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 9:56 pm
Location: C-Town

Unread post by Tyrant » June 19th, 2005, 1:55 am

the bakc of his head is BIG

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 19th, 2005, 8:25 am

I once saw this Rwanda guy on TV (he was from the Tutsi tribe) saying that he (Tutankhamun) was black and that originally that's where the name Tutsi came from in some way. But I often read about how originally the egyptians were black but later on maybe because they mixed with other people some were lighter than others, I really don't know for sure. I don't believe skin color was an issue in that civilization though if that's the case.

Aside from that though, that same Tutsi guy had said something interesting about King Tut. During his life, King Tut had somehow hurt his knee real bad and when he would walk he would walk in a way, like a gangsta walk or however you wanna call it, when one leg is faster than the other. That's where the walk like many rappers or blacks do would come from. You know, that walking style. I don't know if you kinda get what I mean but walking that way originally meant having respect for King Tut. I found that interesting.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 19th, 2005, 8:44 am

The knee injury happened a few days before he died. The injury became infected and killed the king.

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 324
Joined: August 5th, 2003, 12:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Unread post by willihen » June 19th, 2005, 8:46 am

The Egyptian pharoahs were not black and definitely not white. Those are way too broad.
Blacks, nubians from the upper Nile were used and were a part of the civilization.
But Egyptians were as they are today a mixture of medeterranian people and middle eastern people.
Carthaginians, other north Africans, Egyptians, Persians, Greeks and Eutruscans all traded and lived and settled all over the med. region.
So mix those up. and you get alittle of everything. But those of you looking for a certain physical look or description. The Eygptians were more of a Middle Eastern stock(Arabic) than northern med.(greek or Eutruscan).
Its just like saying Jesus was white or Hannibal was black.
incorrect.

stuff like this is debated forever.
But whatever makes you happy.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » June 19th, 2005, 8:55 am

maybe they were black maybe not. at least they were dark skinned.
and as far as language is concerned the ancient egyptian language came from the nilo-saharan family and therefore was definitely from sub-saharan ie black african origin. Thats the only thing that can be proven today.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 19th, 2005, 9:05 am

The Egyptians spoke a mixture of Semetic and sub-Saharan African. The ancient Egyptians saw themselves as being ethnically distinctive from both the Asiatics to the north and the Negros to the south. Guess they were Arab.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » June 19th, 2005, 9:45 am

king tut was probably not white, but he probably wasn't pure black either. like most people in that region in that time, he probably had a middle eastern like look. weather he was light skinned or dark skinned middle eastern, i dont know. i highly doubt he had common traits of a black male. with that being said, he almost definatley did not have traits of a white male.

User avatar
Mraka
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 812
Joined: December 9th, 2004, 2:03 pm
Location: the site I got my avatar from/www
Contact:

Unread post by Mraka » June 19th, 2005, 9:58 am

Capo wrote:I once saw this Rwanda guy on TV (he was from the Tutsi tribe) saying that he (Tutankhamun) was black and that originally that's where the name Tutsi came from in some way. But I often read about how originally the egyptians were black but later on maybe because they mixed with other people some were lighter than others, I really don't know for sure. I don't believe skin color was an issue in that civilization though if that's the case.

Aside from that though, that same Tutsi guy had said something interesting about King Tut. During his life, King Tut had somehow hurt his knee real bad and when he would walk he would walk in a way, like a gangsta walk or however you wanna call it, when one leg is faster than the other. That's where the walk like many rappers or blacks do would come from. You know, that walking style. I don't know if you kinda get what I mean but walking that way originally meant having respect for King Tut. I found that interesting.

I heard that the name Hutu and tutsi comes from their way of living;ones have cows others do agriculture.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 19th, 2005, 10:18 am

The name "Tutankhamun" is derived from the hieroglyphs which translate as Tut-ankh-amun meaning the "Living Image of Amun." That Rwandan guy is full of shit.

George
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 936
Joined: February 2nd, 2004, 7:38 pm

Unread post by George » June 19th, 2005, 11:17 am

All i know is Cleopatra in Hollywoods past has been portrayed as a very Eurocentric Queen. She looks more like an Anglo actress than an Egyptian Queen.

Oh yeah, boy do a lot of those Egyptian gold faces have slanted eyes.....

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » June 19th, 2005, 2:03 pm

^^^^ yea i hate those kind of movies in which egyptians are portrayed as white or huns look like european. It was quite common back in the 50s/60s.
Becaus they were stupid back then.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 187
Joined: January 4th, 2005, 10:41 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario

Unread post by Helms » June 21st, 2005, 12:16 pm

You do realize that Cleopatra was Greek don't you? Anyways....no Tutankhamun was neither black nor white.

People need to stop wasting time and energy on fighting stupid causes like this. If only they would put that much effort into real causes like fighting poverty, hunger and disease.

Helms
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 187
Joined: January 4th, 2005, 10:41 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario

Unread post by Helms » June 21st, 2005, 12:18 pm

Oh and yes those old movies were stupid. They always showed pyramids being build by slaves. That's completely false. The fact is they were built by paid workers.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 21st, 2005, 12:28 pm

Paid workers? That's the first time I hear that. You got more info on it?

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 7:55 pm

I was up in Oakland, talkin with this rastafarian lady, and she had egyptian posters in her office n shiet, and she didn't even know about this controversy with King Tut being shown as "white". When i told her, she was pissed as hell...

King Tut is obviously Black. Ancient Egyptians were mostly Black. It wasn't until the Greek civilization came up, that Egyptian civilization declined. Today, modern Egyptians are a mixture of African and Greek descent.

Its just like whites tryna claim Attila the Hun as "white" and Genghis Khan as "white" too.

now that is some silly ass shiet.

se11
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
Posts: 2247
Joined: October 12th, 2004, 9:48 pm
Location: NYC

Unread post by se11 » June 21st, 2005, 8:04 pm

ancient egyptians were not black they were brown, just like they are today. gengis kahn was mongolian and i have never seen him portrayed as white and the same goes for atilia the hun.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 8:26 pm

se11 wrote:ancient egyptians were not black they were brown, just like they are today. gengis kahn was mongolian and i have never seen him portrayed as white and the same goes for atilia the hun.


Ancient Egyptians were Black. Africans are Black. Its up to whites to prove he was brown, otherwise it should be assumed that he was Black because Africans are Black.

[img]http://www.catchpenny.org/images/tut2.gif[/img]

Like this picture here.


Here is a movie called "The Conqueror" where JOHN WAYNE played Genghis Khan.

[img]http://www.tallarmeniantale.com/pics/genghis_khan-john-wayne.JPG[/img]

Are u sayng that this never happened?

willihen
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 324
Joined: August 5th, 2003, 12:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Unread post by willihen » June 21st, 2005, 8:37 pm

man your deep... you must have a degree or somethin

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 21st, 2005, 8:46 pm

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:I was up in Oakland, talkin with this rastafarian lady, and she had egyptian posters in her office n shiet, and she didn't even know about this controversy with King Tut being shown as "white". When i told her, she was pissed as hell...

King Tut is obviously Black. Ancient Egyptians were mostly Black. It wasn't until the Greek civilization came up, that Egyptian civilization declined. Today, modern Egyptians are a mixture of African and Greek descent.

Its just like whites tryna claim Attila the Hun as "white" and Genghis Khan as "white" too.

now that is some silly ass shiet.


Ancient Egyptians were not black.

Just because in the south of Egypt their were Nubians that doesn't mean King Tut was black.

And yes their was eventually black Egyptians but that was in the late 8th century when the Nubians conquered Egypt and that was long after King Tut was dead.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 8:59 pm

Here is AN ACTUAL PICTURE OF ANCIENT EGYPTIANS DRAWN BY THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS THEMSELVES.

[img]http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/EGYPTI101.jpg[/img]

They're Egyptian Nobility.

They look Black to me.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 21st, 2005, 9:04 pm

Of course they were black they were Nubians but they conquered Egypt long after King Tut ruled Egypt.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 9:44 pm

Greek writer Herodotus 2500 years ago describes Egyptians as Blacks with afros. And calls Egyptians the same tint as the Ethiopians.

Professor Frank Snowden Jr., a professor at Howard University says that Egyptians are really descendents of Ethiopians.

Herodotus testimony is the best record of the skin color of the Egyptians. And he said they were Black.

Until evidence is found that contradicts that, ancient Egyptians should be considered to be Black.

If King Tut was born in America, he would be considered a Black man.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 17th, 2005, 10:48 am
Country: Germany
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin
Location: Overseas

Unread post by Sentenza » June 21st, 2005, 10:14 pm

se11 wrote:ancient egyptians were not black they were brown, just like they are today. gengis kahn was mongolian and i have never seen him portrayed as white and the same goes for atilia the hun.


yes i have seen that. i saw a movie which actually was called attila the hun where attila looked like a brown haired irish or something and all his tribesmen aswell. This movie was from the mid 90s.....

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 21st, 2005, 10:31 pm

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:Greek writer Herodotus 2500 years ago describes Egyptians as Blacks with afros. And calls Egyptians the same tint as the Ethiopians.


Let's do the math here. 2500 years ago would make it around 500 B.C. so that makes sense because around 715-332 B.C. the Nubians ruled Egypt.

King Tut died aound 1323 B.C. so that would mean King Tut was dead for around 800 years before Herodotus was even born. So Herodotus had zero clue of what Egyptians looked like when King Tut ruled.

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:Professor Frank Snowden Jr., a professor at Howard University says that Egyptians are really descendents of Ethiopians.


The ancient Egyptians are really descendents of Ham better known as the "Hamites" identified as "black Caucasians" or "African Aryans". And yes their was also black hamites so the possibility that the first Egyptians were black is possible but their is also the possibility that they were not black.

Why don't you find unbiased professors from Cairo University and see if they think you and Frank Snowden Jr. are correct.

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:Herodotus testimony is the best record of the skin color of the Egyptians. And he said they were Black.


Once again Herodotus was not even born around the time King Tut was around or when the ancient Egyptians ruled in 3000 B. C.

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:Until evidence is found that contradicts that, ancient Egyptians should be considered to be Black.


And what evidence is that?

The Ancient Egyptians became black because Nubians from Kush conquered Egypt and that was in 715 B.C. the declining years of ancient Egypt.

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:If King Tut was born in America, he would be considered a Black man.


If King Tut was born in America, he would be considered Arab, Persian or even hispanic.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 10:45 pm

^ Gonzo. Don't really wanna argue. But lets have a scientific argument here.
Simply put:

There is no reason to assume that they weren't Black.

also, Most tribes go through the male lineage for legitimacy, although there has been exceptions in some tribes.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 21st, 2005, 10:48 pm

Ancient Tribes of America wrote:^ Gonzo. Don't really wanna argue. But lets have a scientific argument here. There is no reason to assume that they weren't Black.


Of course you don't want to argue because you have zero proof that King Tut was black or that the first ancient Egyptians were black.

If you believe what you say back it up.

I'm sure if what you say is true it would not be too hard to find on the internet.

never die inside
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Posts: 574
Joined: February 21st, 2004, 5:54 am
Location: mid wilshire

Unread post by never die inside » June 21st, 2005, 10:50 pm

Dr. Gonzo wrote:
Ancient Tribes of America wrote:^ Gonzo. Don't really wanna argue. But lets have a scientific argument here. There is no reason to assume that they weren't Black.


Of course you don't want to argue because you have zero proof that King Tut was black or that the first ancient Egyptians were black.

If you believe what you say back it up.

I'm sure if what you say is true it would not be too hard to find on the internet.


Like I said. The evidence says Ancient Egyptians in 500 BC were Black. There is no reason whatsoever to think that they weren't before that. The burden of proof is on whites to prove otherwise, because all evidence, history, lineage, etc.. says he is Black.

Look at this artifact of King Tut from King Tut's Tomb.

[img]http://www.catchpenny.org/images/tut2.gif[/img]

thats a black dood.

User avatar
Dr. Gonzo
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
Posts: 1210
Joined: December 20th, 2004, 7:26 pm
Location: Lost Angeles

Unread post by Dr. Gonzo » June 21st, 2005, 10:57 pm

No all evidence shows that the Egyptians became black because the Nubians conquered the Egyptians and it's well documented the Nubians invaded Egypt in it's declining years.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » June 21st, 2005, 11:00 pm

I found this which is quite interesting.

http://www.stewartsynopsis.com/black_eg ... iginal.htm

[img]http://www.stewartsynopsis.com/q_file2.jpg[/img]
Narmer (Menes) The 1st Pharaoh of Egypt

Post Reply

Return to “Race and Ethnicity, Racial Relations & Racism”