Fresno Asian gangs (1993)

This section will discuss the West, defined by the following states; Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Forum rules
Excluding Los Angeles, discuss all other California cities and counties.
niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Wisconsin
What city do you live in now?: Wisconsin

Fresno Asian gangs (1993)

Unread post by niceman » September 15th, 2016, 3:31 pm

I found an old document of Asian gangs in Fresno. I thought it was interesting and would like to share if anyone knew anything about it.
Attachments
00.PNG
00.PNG (19.46 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
000.PNG
000.PNG (10.71 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
0000.PNG
0000.PNG (22.39 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
00000.PNG
00000.PNG (5.76 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Fresno Asian gangs (1993)

Unread post by niceman » September 15th, 2016, 3:47 pm

As far as my knowledge:
- AB or Asian Boys is pretty much ABZ or Asian Boyz.
- CLB or Cool Lover Boys was perhaps the first Hmong gang in Fresno.
- COC or Cambodian Over Cook was not a gang but a diss to the Khmer people I believe.
- CTLB or Clovis Thai Lai Boys, also known as CTB was a Hmong gang out of Clovis. "Thai Lai" means "talk shit".
- FFS or Fresno Fang Boys is a Hmong gang, mostly known as FTK. Originally named "Fuck To Kill", it changed over time to "Fas Tsis Khes", which means "Diss No Care" in Hmong. It's a saying of like you can talk shit but I can give a fuck less. It's probably best known as the "Fang Top Killers" or "Fresno Top Killers", sometimes dubbed as "Fang Boys Gang". The gang was named after "Fang" because majority of it's members are from the "Fang" clan (last name) in the Hmong culture.
- KCB or King Cobra Boys, not sure if it originated here but I have heard of it being a Lao & Hmong gang.
- MBS & MB are the same, Mongolian Boys Society, a Hmong gang.
- PMOD or Peace Men of Destruction is what is known today as Menace of Destruction or M.O.D. But the PMOD was actually just Peace MOD as the "MOD" had no definition yet.
- OIB or Oriental In Black, Hmong gang.
- ORB or Oriental Raiders Boys is what is known today as Oriental Ruthless Boys, a Hmong gang.
- SKB or Street Killer Boys, also known as Si can Bow was perhaps the first Lao gang in Fresno.
- TKB or Thai Killer Boys, from what I heard, it's actually known as Thai Kickboxing Boys or something like that because the leader was trained in Muay Thai. It was a Hmong gang by the way.
- LRS or Little Rascal Boys was a Hmong M.O.D JR. click.
- TLD or The Latin Dukes, I don't know if that's even an Asian gang because of the word "Latin" in it..
.. Surprised to only see 30 listed Asian gangs when it was said that there were 62 Asian gangs in Fresno County!

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niceman » September 15th, 2016, 3:52 pm

niceman wrote: - SKB or Street Killer Boys, also known as Si can Bow was perhaps the first Lao gang in Fresno.
Auto-correct, it's "Si-can-Bow" not "Si can Bow".

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » October 1st, 2016, 8:46 pm

that is an interesting historical document. How does it compare to today?

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niceman » October 2nd, 2016, 3:49 pm

alexalonso wrote:that is an interesting historical document. How does it compare to today?
Very different I would say. The Asian gang scene is not as big as it used to be, and of course the rise of Fresno Bulldogs and other Hispanic gangs overshadowed them.

Besides, not many Asian gangs last due to many reasons but mostly the strong one survives. The smaller Asian gangs that are around are usually only known around their tight-knit community, so outsiders never really heard of them before.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Unread post by alexalonso » October 5th, 2016, 10:43 pm

do you know all the Hispanic gangs active in Fresno today? If so please list them ,

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niceman » October 6th, 2016, 8:45 pm

alexalonso wrote:do you know all the Hispanic gangs active in Fresno today? If so please list them ,
No I do not. Besides, I am the wrong person to ask about Hispanic gangs. I'm sure there are others who has more knowledge on it.

SDmofo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by SDmofo » January 1st, 2017, 1:18 pm

Cambodian Over Cook? I think some of these are diss names and not the actual gang names. They got many of the names wrong and left out some of the main Asian gangs in the area. Fresno used to have a fairly large Southeast Asian refugee community in the 80's-90's. Many families left the area during the 90's to find economic opportunities in other states and to keep their children out of gangs. The Fresno Asian gang scene was as active if not more active than the Long Beach Asian gang scene. As how it compares to today you probably have a dozen or so Asian gangs still around as compared to the dozen"s" of Asian gangs that existed in the 90's.

The main Hispanic gangs either fall into the Bulldog, Norteno, or Sureno umbrellas. The Bulldogs are split by sides of town and streets. The Norteno gangs are fewer and smaller in size. WSF 14 and CVG 14 are the main ones i know of. Then you have Sureno gangs that dot the city. The main and biggest one being Playboys from LA. You also have other gangs like Florencia, White Fence and locally created Sureno gangs.

The majority of Asian and Hispanic gangs in the area have never gotten along. I've read old articles going back to 1985 of the first Hispanic and Asian gang feuds in Fresno. You have to remember many refugees barely landed during those years. Kind of sad when you think about it. The first experiences these Southeast Asian refugees had were of street life and gang life. You go from one shitty situation to another.

niceman
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by niceman » January 3rd, 2017, 8:48 pm

SDmofo wrote:Cambodian Over Cook? I think some of these are diss names and not the actual gang names. They got many of the names wrong and left out some of the main Asian gangs in the area. Fresno used to have a fairly large Southeast Asian refugee community in the 80's-90's. Many families left the area during the 90's to find economic opportunities in other states and to keep their children out of gangs. The Fresno Asian gang scene was as active if not more active than the Long Beach Asian gang scene. As how it compares to today you probably have a dozen or so Asian gangs still around as compared to the dozen"s" of Asian gangs that existed in the 90's.

The main Hispanic gangs either fall into the Bulldog, Norteno, or Sureno umbrellas. The Bulldogs are split by sides of town and streets. The Norteno gangs are fewer and smaller in size. WSF 14 and CVG 14 are the main ones i know of. Then you have Sureno gangs that dot the city. The main and biggest one being Playboys from LA. You also have other gangs like Florencia, White Fence and locally created Sureno gangs.

The majority of Asian and Hispanic gangs in the area have never gotten along. I've read old articles going back to 1985 of the first Hispanic and Asian gang feuds in Fresno. You have to remember many refugees barely landed during those years. Kind of sad when you think about it. The first experiences these Southeast Asian refugees had were of street life and gang life. You go from one shitty situation to another.
To me, the ones that seem wrong were the "Cambodian Over Cook", "Khmer Hamburger Boys", and "The Latin Dukes". <-- The name of that gang sounds more like a Hispanic gang or what not. I'm not sure what other gang names are wrong, can't really tell.

But you are correct, they left out some of the main Asian sets too. There were 62 Asian or "Indochinese" gangs documented in Fresno County at that time (1993) and I don't know why they didn't list all of them based on the document I found. I can think of the top of my head that they were missing Laos Bloods or LB from the list, as well as 209 Laos Crip or simply 209 gang. I don't know what 209AC or "209 Asian Crim" is but it seems like that's not the full name of that gang. I also know that USC or Unstoppable Criminals were a year old gang at the time of this document too.

I think the Asian gang scene in Fresno might have been more active than in Long Beach was because there were more Asian gangs in Fresno than in Long Beach. But true, as of right now they're only a handful of Asian gangs left in Fresno.

I knew that the Asian & Hispanic gang don't get along but I'm sure there were times where some of them didn't beef too? I heard some TRG's and BDS kick it or so? I guess it depends on the set?

I'm guessing from the 1985 article, the Asian gang must've been the S.K.B or Street Killer Boys? I've been told they were the first Asian (Lao) gang in Fresno.

SDmofo
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: San Diego

Unread post by SDmofo » February 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Long Beach had fewer Asian gangs but they were larger in size. Fresno had more Asian gangs but they were smaller in size. You had lots of Asian gangs back then that had fewer than 20 members. It's no wonder the few large Asian gangs in Fresno of that time are still around and the smaller ones faded out. The Laotian and Cambodian gangs are still the same but the Hmong gangs seem to change names from one generation to the next. You hear about the same Laotian and Cambodian gangs through out the years like TRG and LB but the Hmong gangs take turns taking the spot light.

Bulldogs is a big umbrella of gangs and neighborhoods. They are actually much bigger now than they were in the 90's. As compared to the Asians who were much bigger in the 90's and much smaller now. It's different sets and neighborhoods as you said. Over the years many beefs have faded. You have a some Bulldogs that are cool or neutral with Asian gangs. But the majority of Bulldogs don't seem to like Asian gangs. I've heard it over and over. You have plenty of Black gangs in Fresno but there never was any Black vs Hispanic gang beefs there.

I have a clue of which gangs were beefing back in 1985 but not completely sure. A lot of Asians gangs were in their infant stages back then or were from Southern California.