Top 5 Biggest Organized Crime Syndicates In The World

In this section discuss Albania [Shqipërisë], Bulgaria [България], Croatia, Macedonia [Македонија, Makedonija] and Russia [Федерация, Rossiyskaya] including any other place on the Eastern European continent.
thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Top 5 Biggest Organized Crime Syndicates In The World

Unread post by thewestside » July 4th, 2008, 5:39 pm

mnjmc wrote:This came from Stratfor, although I disagree on a lot of what they say in this article. For one the Beltranes had dealing with the Zetas I believe since late 07. Also the Carrillos were El Chapo's enemies ever since he had Rodolfo Carrillo killed in Culiacan.

Los Negros were used to fight the Zetas in Nuevo Laredo and in the state of Guerrero. They pretty much failed to beat the Zetas. And los Negros were a group funded by the Beltran Family and run Alfredo Beltran and Edgar Valdez.
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Vincetheprince
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: Riverside

Unread post by Vincetheprince » July 5th, 2008, 1:22 am

That was a great movie, and that was a nice link

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Guam
What city do you live in now?: Tokyo

Unread post by Dobre » November 7th, 2013, 11:13 am

I have to revive this topic.

This is where the number 3 million members comes from

http://web.wm.edu/so/monitor/issues/07-1/4-hatcher.htm

The scope of the mafia throughout Russia is enormous. Arnaud de Borchgrave, the Director of the Global Organized Crime Project, estimated that there are 6,000 organized crime groups within Russia with 3 million members.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/columns/a ... 00786.html

VIENNA — After avoiding any use of the term “Russian mafia” in the last few years, law enforcement personnel in Europe and elsewhere are now speaking about it again, noting that it includes “up to 300,000 people” and dominates the criminal world in many countries around the world, according to a Moscow investigative journalist.

==================

We don't really know what "abroad" classifies as. The Russian mafia as in the Russian mafia outside of Russia and everywhere else or all groups of the ex USSR outside of all the ex Soviet republics?

Officially, you can put the Russian mafia at 3.3 million.

And 1 in 50 people is not as absurd as it seems. You would just say that because you've never been to a country like Russia or better yet - Balkan countries like Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria or Bosnia. The economic situation along with the culture helps create this. We don't have insecurities like people from the Western world(used to living in a wealthy, organized society and are thus spoiled, don't use brain as often as they complain about meager things) that hinder us from functioning normally on a day to day basis let alone do big, ballsy things like the mob does.

I wanted to put the number of gangsters in each Balkan country somewhere at an equal thing so I can say there are this many gangsters in the whole Balkans area, it's easier to put together.

But 1 in 50 would be 150,000 in Bulgaria, 10,000 in Montenegro, 40,000 in Macedonia, 60,000 in Albania, 34,000 in Kosovo, 80,000 in Bosnia and 200,000 in Serbia.

While the numbers in Bulgaria, Bosnia and Serbia are about right, the numbers in Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro and Kosovo are too low. In Kosovo it's more around 100,000, and if you've been there you'd agree with me. Macedonia is probably the most mobbed up country in the world at the moment, and with that I mean on a ratio of how the mob culture impacts society both directly and indirectly. Albania and Kosovo come in second places, then Bulgaria in third. Albania is also over a 100,000.

Also, when you think about it, it all really depends regionally. Some regions, like Vojvodina in Serbia, are mostly populated by Hungarians and there organized crime isn't as much as a problem as it is Belgrade or Novi Sad. Same goes with Croat populated regions in Bosnia. Or in the reverse example - in Macedonia every 1 in 4 people is Albanian, and in Western Macedonia it's 1 in 2. Thus, combining both Macedonian and Albanian worlds, both trying to keep a foothold in Skopje, ever the more competitive, it's higher in Western Macedonia than anywhere else. So if all of Macedonia has gangsters in the mid to high tens of thousands range, 70 percent of those would be in Western Macedonia.

Ever since that thing about the Frankfurt mafia blew up, it was like an advertisement. The youth in Sveti Nikole for example - if you're not a whore or a junkie, you're most likely selling drugs for the Frankfurt mafia. Even though they say this

"Unofficially we have about 400 people involved in drug dealing in Veles."

No you don't. You have literally thousands of people involved in drug dealing in Veles now thanks to the crackdowns and kids wanting to prove themselves.

In Montenegro, it's more like 50,000 people and I don't mean locals. I mean there's a huge Russian, Serbian and Albanian presence there because ever since Montenegro succeeded from Montenegro, Serbia has no ports going out to the sea and no way for shipping containers from South America full of coke to directly reach Serbia.

I can't comment much on Greece because it's more of a Western society than anything else and while the Greeks are nationalists and have the mafia gene to some extent, they're not very mafia like compared to the other Balkan peoples. They're more proud about nationality and patriotism and would have too much of a national identity and international attention to be falling into anything of the OC type. Besides, the average monthly salary in Greece is about 800 US dollars. That's more than enough for them. Meanwhile, in neighboring Macedonia, it's 300 US dollars. 150 US dollars in Eastern Macedonia. Although, I'd guess it's somewhere around mid to high tens of thousands range - and this includes Macedonians, Bulgarians, Turks, Serbs, Albanians, Russians, Arabs, Italians etc.

So if the number of gangsters are about 700,000 in Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo and Bulgaria(out of a 25.4 million combined population), then if you add places less likely where people are to be involved in OC on a ratio basis(because of better living standards, not because Greece isn't an attractive spot for smuggling drugs, humans and weapons) like Greece, Croatia and Slovenia(17 million people combined pop and Croatia has more tourist gangsters than gangsters coming from business so put Croatia at maybe 30-40,000 gangsters operating locally out of their 4.2 million pop and Slovenia at like a miserable 10-20,000) and also as likely but not as much as you'd think(like Romania and Turkey)... Romania which is 20 million people - would have about 100,000 gangsters, and Turkey, about 80 million people - would have about 300,000-500,000 gangsters.

So... technically if the 1 in 50 ratio counts, it'd be around 1.2 million gangstrers in the 60 million region of the Balkans alone(Macedonia, Albania, Slovenia, Greece, Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro and Romania, excluding Turkey).....

But... Realistically, we can put the real number under a million,say about oh 800,000...

If you include Turkey, then the number automatically rises to 1.2 million... 200,000 short of the number of gang members in the United States..

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Guam
What city do you live in now?: Tokyo

Unread post by Dobre » November 7th, 2013, 11:53 am

Actually on second thought, I'm not even sure about that.. I'd figure maybe 1.2 million in a region of 60 million would be decent, but then I'm thinking about it deeply...

1.2 is 1 in 50 people, and 1.4 million is 1 in 350 as in the US.

But I'm pretty sure with gangsters in the Balkans it's more in the 1 in 100 range..