Regional organized crime empowered in Southeastern Europe

In this section discuss Albania [Shqipërisë], Bulgaria [България], Croatia, Macedonia [Македонија, Makedonija] and Russia [Федерация, Rossiyskaya] including any other place on the Eastern European continent.
Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Guam
What city do you live in now?: Tokyo

Regional organized crime empowered in Southeastern Europe

Unread post by Dobre » May 18th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Apr 5, 2013
By Ioannis Michaletos | The Southeastern European organized criminal networks, are operating in great capacity despite a series of initiatives both by political and security authorities in Europe to curb their action. A recent extensive report by Europol estimates that Albanian, Turkish and Pakistani originating groups dominate the Pan-European heroin contraband, mostly by using the Balkans as a transit route and play a great role in enchasing the dynamics of around 3.600 groups or organized criminality in all EU countries. The region of the Western Balkans in particular is a major illegal trading hub for narcotics, as well as, for small-arms trade.

Over the past decade, Latin-American cocaine cartels have also collaborated with Balkan illicit importers and play a great role in supplying an estimated four million addicts with this drug annually in the European markets. Moreover individuals are being recruited in substantial numbers for loading and carrying of the drug. This method is preferred by Western African communities, mostly in Greece who pay a sum of around 2-4,000 Euros to EU citizens to travel and buy directly for them cocaine from Latin American countries. In that sense the try to minimize the damage by a confiscation of large shipment, while the individuals are usually ones without a Police record. A trend emerging according to recent commentary by the Greek director of country’s anti-narcotics unit, is for the recruitment of EU citizens that unload the drug to a destination different than their homeland, whilst they frequently change airport locations, so as to confuse authorities, while a large number of seeming unrelated people is involved, making investigation process far more difficult.

Hashish is widely cultivated and exported illegally from Southern and central Albania to Greece and Italy. A significant number of quantities are then re-exported to other countries in Europe, with the amounts of shipments usually exceeding one ton per transfer, made by trucks and vessels. According to estimates by the Greek Police in the main Western road axis that joins the Greek-Albanian borders with the port of Patras, 2 tons of confiscation of cannabis takes place per month, without including other quantities being found from indigenous production. The bulk of these amounts comes from transfers via trucks that follow the route Albania-Patras and then they are either re-exported to other EU countries or make their way Eastwards into Athens.

In Montenegro the local media “Vijesti”, relayed researches by EU bodies and local Police that assume for the existence of 35 organized crime syndicates specialized in narcotics contraband. These groups are also involved in arms illegal trade and consequently in money laundering, in similar fashion like in the neighboring Western Balkan states. The main spots of concentration of activity for these groups are the capital Podgorica, town of Rozaje, and the ports of Kotor and Bar. The main issue is the strong interpersonal bonds that have been created with Albanian (and Kosovar) groups along with the Calabria ‘Ndrangheta, while the stretch of activities reaches up to Serbia (Belgrade), Latin America, Netherlands (Amsterdam) and Central Europe. As far as Serbia is concerned the territory of the country is a major trespassing route but also a destination location, since local narcotics consumption is raising. The region of Novi Pazar -Sanjak hosts a number of criminal entities which are in direct contact with Albanian-Turkish-Kurdish traffickers. The gradual expansion of this collaboration has evolved to the extent that a gram of heroin is being sold for around 10 Euros in street prices in Belgrade and tends to drop constantly over the past five years.

The heavy involvement of drug cartels in Southeastern Europe with arms dealers, has also resulted in flooding the local markets with an array of small arms, posing clear danger for societal stability and concerns for the arming of radical and terrorist groups.AK-47′s are being sold in Greece’s underground market for 300-1,500 Euros depending on quality and times being used. Consequently robberies even of a small scale by the use of this military- type weapon have multiplied over the years, to the extent that the Greek ministry of justice is preparing a Law to sentence culprits using this machine gun into life imprisonment so as to deter further use. Moreover, sophisticated pistols such as Glock 17 can be found for around 4,000 Euros, Zastava ones for less than 2,000 and Tokarev and Makarov for as little as 1,000 Euros. Usually networks dealing small arms have also access to other types of weaponry including hand grenades (100-200 Euros per each) and can even supply RPG rockets to “costumers”. The recent revelations by world media that Western Balkan groups have also been involved in supplying heavy arms to the Syrian battlefield is another worrying trend, since that will further empower both their reach and their economic base.

Lastly, it is of importance to pin point variables under which a future estimation of organized criminal trends could occur in the Southeastern European locale.

Economic-crisis commercial and job market depression: Greece and Serbia are already in a downward spin, while Bulgaria, FYROM and Bosnia are in critical position. Consequently Albania, Kosovo and Montenegro will follow. Turkish, Croatian and Slovenian economic development are also in question.That is a fertile ground for empowerment of criminal groups

Economies of scale: Due to security authorities pressure and the one exercised by the EU for an eventual membership of W. Balkan countries; criminal groups already cooperating in the sectors of narcotics, arms and trafficking will join structures and combine their forces. The example of neighboring Italy is illustrative that local groups tend to formulate even stronger ones when circumstances make the existence of any individual group perilous. Similar “Cartel-type” organizations exist in Latin America and in USA, while the economics behind such model are evident.

Money laundering to become the norm-uncontrollable: Despite efforts of a great scale of both local and international authorities, money laundering has a vast number of manners under which it could be conducted that are virtually undetected by authorities. The creation of perfectly legal small and private companies with substantial “nominal” profits is one. Due to the variables that have already be mentioned that activity will likely rise, thus permitting organized crime cartels to further integrate into the societal structures and thus into local political and business life.

The different sectors of systematic criminal activity tend to multiply the dynamics of each. At the same time the success of each group tends to be imitated by newly emerging ones: In times of economic uncertainty and crisis, while new sectors of illicit activity are being created (such as the mass illegal immigration from Asia into the Balkans since roughly 2005), newly formed groups are getting involved by seeing opportunities to raise much needed capital.

Since each illegal sector needs to invest capital in the first place (transportation, logistic, recruitment, etc.) a vicious circle of enacting new criminal enterprises to secure capital so as to get into more sophisticated sectors begins that tends to involve a larger number of individuals who come from a variety of walks of life not necessarily connected to the “underworld”. In short, organized criminal activity tends to penetrate larger stratums of society and penetrating all legal activities as well.

Schengen zone and ease of travel: Apart from the obvious convenience of free travel of goods and people for criminal cartels, the Schengen zone along with the boosting of air travel and transportation in general across the Balkans-EU, has also created new interpersonal networks not only in a country level but also in region -to -region level, making the containment of activities of those extremely difficult.

Lastly the wider destabilization in the MENA region will certainly assist into the interaction of criminal groups as facilitators between countries such as Syria or Libya with the rest of the EU markets in a whole range of illegal sectors and most importantly illegal immigration and human trafficking.

http://serbianna.com/analysis/archives/2075

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key

Re: Regional organized crime empowered in Southeastern Europ

Unread post by ViciousRidah » November 6th, 2013, 2:48 pm

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-t ... ans-part-3

I was checking some these stuff out it documented the conflict a with Albanians and Serbians in the city called Mitrovica.Saying if you have the wrong license plate you are caught got and deadbait.I think you already stated that the Kosovo Liberation Army was formed by the Albanians,to defend them from Serbian governments. Kosovo also has many schism.
I am assuming Albanians and Bosnians are allies since they are both muslim or am I wrong?Are Serbs respected in the Balkans or are they like the Roma and Albanians?

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » November 7th, 2013, 1:47 pm

ViciousRidah wrote:http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-t ... ans-part-3

I was checking some these stuff out it documented the conflict a with Albanians and Serbians in the city called Mitrovica.Saying if you have the wrong license plate you are caught got and deadbait.I think you already stated that the Kosovo Liberation Army was formed by the Albanians,to defend them from Serbian governments. Kosovo also has many schism.
I am assuming Albanians and Bosnians are allies since they are both muslim or am I wrong?Are Serbs respected in the Balkans or are they like the Roma and Albanians?
The Balkans is a really complicated place. Nobody likes Albanians and Roma. The Albanians and Roma have no allies. The Roma can only side with Turks. I mean, even then they are internally divided. Wealthier Roma teenagers beat up Roma teenagers who go around begging for money and making Roma look bad.

The Macedonians and Serbs generally get along. The Greeks and Serbs are allies, I guess. Macedonians and Greeks don't get along. Serbs and Bulgarians don't get along. Albanians and Bulgarians don't get along. Macedonians and Bulgarians do generally get along as people, but the politics between the two countries can be bad sometimes, and whenever Pirin Macedonians(which dominate the Blagoevgrad region in Bulgaria) have an event of some sort Bulgarian nationalists come and pick fights with people, rabble rousing so then when Macedonians fight back, Bulgarian media can blame Macedonians.

The Bosnians are not an ethnic group, at least not a recent one. The term Bosnian is more geographic than it is a national identity. It's kind of like saying - ethnic American. Bosnians are either Orthodox Serbs, Catholic Croats, Muslim Serbs, Muslim Croats or Muslim Turks, but I guess yeah the majority would be Muslim Serbs out of the Muslim category.

Bosnians had help from the Mujahadeen, or foreign fighters, during the Bosnian war. This is the case in every conflict involving Muslim groups. Foreign fighters come from other countries to help out on the basis of that they all share the same religion - Islam. In muslim countries, it doesn't matter what race you are as much as it matters if you're muslim or not. You could be as white as a Persian or Afghan, as brown as a Tamil, or African. It doesn't matter. All that matters is you're muslim. Chechens came to fight to Afghanistan, Albanians from Macedonia went to fight in Syria and Iraq, and folks from the Middle East came to fight in Bosnia. It doesn't make them allies.

To be honest I'm not sure about the politics between Albanians and Bosnians. I'm pretty sure Serbs in general don't get along with Albanians. Albanians are a natural enemy of all South Slavic peoples. It's like that one person you don't naturally like at work or at school or wherever but you were forced to get along with him and vice versa, even though both of you obviously don't sync and nothing will make you sync, even though you both have tons of obvious similarities and more so than the next person whom you actually get along with!

The KLA had nothing to do with the Bosnian war. The KLA took advantage of the Serbs already getting negative attention from fighting with the Bosnians and Croats and started attacking Serb military in Kosovo, not the other way around. When the Serbs went in to quell the insurgency, the Americans made it look like the Serb was invading its own people now, kind of like the case with Syria, and invaded Serbia.

Kosovska Mitrovica is one of the worst places in Europe at the moment. Alot of Serbs lived there, but got locked out from the rest of Serbia when Kosovo claimed independence. Now they're fucked. It's the only place UNPRAFOR and KFOR still patrol on a regular basis.

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » November 7th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Here's an example of how OC has an impact on pop culture in the Balkans

http://grid.mk/yt/videos/BVMjeRRRp4A/su ... j-so-tekst

With text: You need someone to say "I love you." You need someone to say "I need you", with a thick neck and bald head, the type you're still looking for. You need someone to say "I love you" with a gun and a dangerous look on his face, and friends who know how to hit and blackmail, but you're still looking for that type of man. And when you find him you'll be happy, right? A brute with the intellect of Balotelli. You'll receive a daily dose of kisses and kicks and you will still be happy, as you will be wearing Dolce. Need someone to give you Gucci gifts, somebody who learns from the Sopranos and Scarface. Somebody that knows how to beat up a girl, but you're still looking for that mr. right. You need someone to tell you "I love you" somebody with a gun and a dangerous look on his face, and friends who know how to hit and blackmail/extort, but you're still searching for your soul mate. You need someone to say "I love you", but you're still searching for your mr. right.

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » December 7th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Frankfurt mafia is still active.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article ... drug-lords

The most powerful of the leaders, Taleto, was on probation in Bulgaria the last time I heard..and couldn't leave Bulgaria for 8 years... So he couldn't come to Macedonia to handle the mess that the police made when they arrested over 400 people.. I know his group has about a 100 people and that they were the most powerful in terms of money, cars, assets, etc.

Then there is another leader nicknamed the Baraba which the dragnet never caught...and I think he might be a Vlach/Romanian.. He's still active and operates in Germany itself(not like some of the other leaders who operated out of Veles), last time I checked on him he was in Dortmund..

Dobre
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Dobre » December 8th, 2013, 5:09 pm