US Justice for Jamaican Gang Leader

Mexico and El Salvador has received the most international recognition for street gang development as a result of US deportation, but other countries in South & Central America & the Caribbean including Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Domincan Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti [d'Haïti], Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico [Estados Unidos Mexicanos], Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru [Perú], Puerto Rico, Suriname, Uruguay, Venenzuela and many other islands in the Caribbean.
admin

US Justice for Jamaican Gang Leader

Unread post by admin » June 25th, 2010, 9:38 am

This topic correspond to the post that can be found at http://www.streetgangs.com/news/062510_us_justice_for: David Lee Miller (Live Shots)

June 25, 2010

At least 76 people died to bring him here. Accused Jamaican drug lord Christopher Coke is now on US soil. He made the trip to the US on a private plane that landed at White Plains Airport, outside New York City.

According to a federal indictment, as far back as 1994, Coke, trafficked in drugs and weapons in the United States. His gang called itself the Shower Posse because anyone who got in their way was met with a shower of bullets.

In his native Jamaica, and most especially the Tivoli Gardens neighborhood where he lived, Coke was feared, loved and admired. Recent media reports describe him as a Jamaican Robin Hood, doling out money and jobs. Dozens of Coke’s supporters died trying to keep Jamaican law enforcement from exercising an arrest warrant. Ironically he was taken into custody without incident after authorities spotted him in car despite wearing a wig and hat to disguise his appearance.

Coke agreed not to fight extradition to the US saying, “everyone, the whole country has been adversely affected by the process that has surrounded my extradition, and I hope my action today will go some way to healing all who have suffered.”

Hours before Coke’s scheduled arraignment a Jamaican born woman told a reporter she came to the US Courthouse hoping to get a glance at her native country’s most infamous former fugitive. When told Coke’s hearing was hours away she left the courthouse to go to work.

The man who inspired people to sacrifice their lives on his behalf now wasn’t worth losing a day's pay.