City of God

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 19th, 1972, 5:55 am

rocstar wrote:
Christina Marie wrote:
grape fo def wrote:i think she tryna say surenos run LA :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What I was saying is that between Nortenos and SURS, SURS got Cali.
Surenos run surenos. I get through my day just fine without a Sureno running my life. If a sureno trip we trip period. Nobody runs anybody in these Cali streets. When Blacks was the majority we didnt run Surenos and now that they got numbers they dont run us, shit they dont even run Asians or whiteboys. Neither do we. They dont run us in jail/prison whatever, being the majority dont mean they run anything but themselves. They dont tax us, they dont stray into our areas and they damn sure dont give us rules. Thats why we clash. Having the majority and the advantage in most fights dont mean you run anything.

Blacks 0-30%- Surenos = :twisted: Blacks 30 = 50% - Surenos = :D
Quiet as church mice
Go to prison and then tell me whose running the tiers. I am not choosing sides, dont go get all butt hurt.

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

City of God

Unread post by BlaKK » September 23rd, 2006, 9:11 pm

If you haven't peeped this movie your not even worthy to live... To those who have seen it what are your thoughts... That's that true Hollywood free hood shit. That drug slangin gang bangin type shit. That nigga Lil Z moved more weight than a diesel truck.

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » September 23rd, 2006, 11:20 pm

That place is some real hoodshit

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » September 23rd, 2006, 11:20 pm

i watched this while blazin up

looneytunes1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by looneytunes1 » September 24th, 2006, 1:52 am

They also got a documentary in the DVD extras....shits crazy

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Yo, I have been to Rio De Janiero and let me tell you, the favelas ain't no joke. I wasn't tryin' to get caught up in there, especially at night.

It's wild because it's a 3rd world country and the cops are some of the worst criminals. The oceanfront in Copacabana is called Avenue Atlantica. Me and my boy sat at this outdoor cafe called Mabs and watched the cops run a scam with the hookers.

The hookers would stand on the corner (and a LOT of 'em was fine as shit!!!) and they would pick up tourists that were driving by. The hooker would get into the car, and then start driving up the street. One of the other hookers would give a signal, and the cops would step out into the street with their AK-47s about a block and a half down and stop the car. The hooker would get out and go back to the other corner while the cops took the tourists money and jewelry and sent them on their way. There was nobody they could tell because they would have then gone to jail for soliciting a prostitute!!!

The other thing that struck me about the country is that it a WHOLE different level of poor there!!! Here in the States, we see homeless people and really don't think that much about it. But it's a whole different feeling when you see homeless children in the streets begging for money for food.

The day we were leaving I was packing and I had about R40 (reias) while at the time was the equivalent of about $20, not enough to make a special trip to the bank to exchange. I had made up in my mind that I was gonna give it to some kids on the street. As we were driving along (my boys sister lives there) we had to stop at a light. The kids came running up to the car begging, but she is used to it, so she told them to go away. The little boy ran around to the passenger's side where I was sitting. I was reaching in my pocket to give him something, but the light changed, and KK drove off.

We turned the corner and drove about 2 blocks before we had to stop at another light. I felt bad because I couldn't get any money out of my pocket fast enough to give to the little boy. We was sitting there, and I looked in the side mirror, and here come little man (he was about 8-9) sprinting BARE FOOT!!! This little dude caught up with the car to see what it was I was gonna give him.

I was like, "Shit, for all this I'm gonna give him the whole thing". I handed him the money. He looked at me like he couldn't believe it. He dove in the window and hugged me like he had won the lottery.

I was thinking "all that for R40!!!" I didn't grasp what that meant to him until I was talking with somebody later on and round out that teachers in the favvelas only make R30 a MONTH there!!! That was crazy!!!

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » September 26th, 2006, 10:19 pm

creativemind wrote:Yo, I have been to Rio De Janiero and let me tell you, the favelas ain't no joke. I wasn't tryin' to get caught up in there, especially at night.

It's wild because it's a 3rd world country and the cops are some of the worst criminals. The oceanfront in Copacabana is called Avenue Atlantica. Me and my boy sat at this outdoor cafe called Mabs and watched the cops run a scam with the hookers.

The hookers would stand on the corner (and a LOT of 'em was fine as shit!!!) and they would pick up tourists that were driving by. The hooker would get into the car, and then start driving up the street. One of the other hookers would give a signal, and the cops would step out into the street with their AK-47s about a block and a half down and stop the car. The hooker would get out and go back to the other corner while the cops took the tourists money and jewelry and sent them on their way. There was nobody they could tell because they would have then gone to jail for soliciting a prostitute!!!

The other thing that struck me about the country is that it a WHOLE different level of poor there!!! Here in the States, we see homeless people and really don't think that much about it. But it's a whole different feeling when you see homeless children in the streets begging for money for food.

The day we were leaving I was packing and I had about R40 (reias) while at the time was the equivalent of about $20, not enough to make a special trip to the bank to exchange. I had made up in my mind that I was gonna give it to some kids on the street. As we were driving along (my boys sister lives there) we had to stop at a light. The kids came running up to the car begging, but she is used to it, so she told them to go away. The little boy ran around to the passenger's side where I was sitting. I was reaching in my pocket to give him something, but the light changed, and KK drove off.

We turned the corner and drove about 2 blocks before we had to stop at another light. I felt bad because I couldn't get any money out of my pocket fast enough to give to the little boy. We was sitting there, and I looked in the side mirror, and here come little man (he was about 8-9) sprinting BARE FOOT!!! This little dude caught up with the car to see what it was I was gonna give him.

I was like, "Shit, for all this I'm gonna give him the whole thing". I handed him the money. He looked at me like he couldn't believe it. He dove in the window and hugged me like he had won the lottery.

I was thinking "all that for R40!!!" I didn't grasp what that meant to him until I was talking with somebody later on and round out that teachers in the favvelas only make R30 a MONTH there!!! That was crazy!!!
See? And people wonder why atheism is so popular

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 26th, 2006, 11:38 pm

It's a real eerie feeling knowing that those cops could literally kill you and there was nothing that would be done.

That's been one of the main complaints, that they kill the little kids who come down from the favelas to beg on the beach. Most of the white tourists act scared, and its "bad for business", so the cops try to keep the kids away. But it was not unusual for them to just kill the kids.

UmanH-ay

Unread post by UmanH-ay » September 27th, 2006, 1:42 am

creativemind wrote:It's a real eerie feeling knowing that those cops could literally kill you and there was nothing that would be done.

That's been one of the main complaints, that they kill the little kids who come down from the favelas to beg on the beach. Most of the white tourists act scared, and its "bad for business", so the cops try to keep the kids away. But it was not unusual for them to just kill the kids.
I actually thought the whole cop thing was an exhadration at first but my sisters have said the same thing, 1 of them used to date a brazilian boy (money grabbin bitch) but everyone said, dont ever speak to the cops, at times their more likely to jack you than the gangs because they know they have the ability too,

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 27th, 2006, 10:17 am

Trust me, it ain't no exaggeration. One of the reasons is that the police are underpaid like everybody else. So because they can do things and get away with it, they do.

The gov't pretty much sanctions it. THey know what's going on, but choose to ignore it because like I said, the European and white American tourists are scared of these kids.

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 27th, 2006, 11:25 am

This is regular shit in the favelas of Rio. And they not going after another army, they're shooting at the gangs who are shooting back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gGjDIa3DgP4

creativemind
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by creativemind » September 27th, 2006, 11:30 am

Here's another. Believe me when I tell you, the WORST ghetto in America looks like the MGM Grand compared to some places in Rio.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FI81C1F-Eq4

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » September 28th, 2006, 11:48 pm

that shit is real. well they didn't get me for no cash but they got my homeboys, but I consider that gettin us.

loser
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by loser » October 15th, 2006, 7:50 am

That movie was really ghetto, not like those Hollywood commercial bang*bang movies.

BxxMILITIA
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by BxxMILITIA » October 18th, 2006, 9:03 pm

THATS WUT I LIKED ABOUT IT ^^^^^I LIKED the FACT IT WAS SOME FOREIGN HOOD SHIT, THAT SHIT IS A CLASSIC IN MY BOOKS,CHECK THAT MOVIE OUT LADIEZ N GENTLEMEN....

BlaKK
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by BlaKK » October 18th, 2006, 9:51 pm

The movie is indeed a fuckin classic, most definitely on my Top 5, right there next to Scarface and Goodfellas, that triple O shit.

VybzKartel
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by VybzKartel » November 3rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

yeah a dope movie . .real . .it was real. .raw. .

SPOOKY1_SURX3.

Unread post by SPOOKY1_SURX3. » November 4th, 2006, 10:21 am

Rented it from blockbuster..was a good film

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » December 31st, 2006, 7:05 pm

Got this one for Christmas and I was glad I did, its a very good movie.

I liked the way it was filmed too.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » December 31st, 2006, 7:53 pm

Lil Zi was fucken ruthless

casalem
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by casalem » January 6th, 2007, 6:45 am

I got it last year randomly but i enjoyed it a lot.This movie talks about Rio's ghetto by the eyes of a guy who really lived that period n could get away from there.It's also a true story.
However i think that now the situations in Brazil is quite similar to the movie(even if is set in the 70's).

c-bus

Unread post by c-bus » January 28th, 2007, 9:36 pm

You now the funny thing is now brazil is way ahead of the US on energy consumption. They don't import any oil from outside there country whatsoever. The US fallin off hard these days. Brazil is crazy as hell though, my uncle sets up airports in second and third world countries. When he went to Brazil to set one up he said it was real cool. The guy he liasoned with could speak like 8-9 different languages and was really intelligent. Bad thing was when he first got there and was getting out of his cab to go into his hotel he was held up at uzi point. Still he said it was a beautifull country.

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » January 29th, 2007, 11:27 pm

this movie is fuckin locc to the brain

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » January 29th, 2007, 11:38 pm

Mcminister wrote:this movie is fuckin locc to the brain
Im gonna watch it again. It was really good, Im glad I own it 8)

Hydro2oo6
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Hydro2oo6 » May 10th, 2007, 11:20 am

1 of my fave films

probably the best film iv'e seen to b honest

Old Shatterhand
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Old Shatterhand » June 10th, 2007, 10:43 am

City of God is an intense movie. Be sure to see the real documentary under Special Features. In the real documentary they interview the gangs, cops, and civilians and you get a feel for what's its really like. The documentary alone would have been worth the price of the movie.

As for Rio, many tourists hire bodyguards to move around in that city. Even to just go from their hotel to the airport. It's true.

Tre
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: City of God

Unread post by Tre » August 9th, 2011, 2:18 am

I have this one in my library... CLASSIC!! One of the best movies of all time!!!

Siner
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Nowhere

Re: City of God

Unread post by Siner » January 19th, 2013, 11:27 am

That's my hood looool