Grand Theft Auto 4

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » March 30th, 2007, 10:12 am

Sentenza wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote:
perongregory wrote:they probably gonna go out of the states, or have it where you could fly to different countries.
the trailer came out today...looks like its set in NY...
The first one was in New York :evil:
most of them was in the NY.

they need to do some new shit with that game like take it to brazil or the far east or sum shit.
GTA 4: Detroit :wink:
I wouldnt mind seeing some outter US stuff....I always liked those Hong Kong style asian scenarios. I wouldnt mind several places of the world being involved too.
You gotta point there....

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » March 30th, 2007, 10:13 am

oh its only for PS3? :(

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » March 30th, 2007, 11:03 am

$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote:
perongregory wrote:they probably gonna go out of the states, or have it where you could fly to different countries.

they need to do some new shit with that game like take it to brazil or the far east or sum shit.
Only because I'm a stickler for detail, the games didn't take place in "real" cities. Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas (which is actually a state not a city) were obviously based on real cities and had similar landmarks but were just made up names. You can get patches for the games to change everything in the game to real landmarks with real billboards and what not. GTA:4 looks to be back in Liberty City.

Staying with the thread, the game looks cool but I'm still a fan of the original overhead GTA.

Bearfan
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Bearfan » March 30th, 2007, 11:08 am

A Ghost wrote:oh its only for PS3? :(
Nope. The Xbox360 will have it as well. I'm tired of New York, I sure hope they add some other locations. Since there going back to LC again, at the very least we should be able to walk into every building.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » March 30th, 2007, 11:09 am

lol

GTA 4: Iraq :shock:

Bearfan
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Bearfan » March 30th, 2007, 11:13 am

LOL, More like GTA Moscow/Carcer City/Liberty City.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » March 30th, 2007, 11:17 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote:

Only because I'm a stickler for detail, the games didn't take place in "real" cities. Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas (which is actually a state not a city) were obviously based on real cities and had similar landmarks but were just made up names. You can get patches for the games to change everything in the game to real landmarks with real billboards and what not. GTA:4 looks to be back in Liberty City.

Staying with the thread, the game looks cool but I'm still a fan of the original overhead GTA.
you can play in the overhead view by changing the camera view. Game looks amazing but I'm tired of NY.

A Ghost
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by A Ghost » March 30th, 2007, 11:33 am

perongregory wrote:I'm tired of NY
Welcome to my world

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » March 30th, 2007, 12:22 pm

perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote:

you can play in the overhead view by changing the camera view. Game looks amazing but I'm tired of NY.
You mean you can play in overhead view in GTA:3 Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas? To make it look the same as GTA:1? Or just overhead view but still 3D style?

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » March 31st, 2007, 1:11 am

EmperorPenguin wrote:
perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote:

You mean you can play in overhead view in GTA:3 Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas? To make it look the same as GTA:1? Or just overhead view but still 3D style?
overhead view 3-D style, not the 2-D overhead like the old joints.

EmperorPenguin
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by EmperorPenguin » March 31st, 2007, 10:23 am

perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
perongregory wrote:
EmperorPenguin wrote:
$outhPhillypuppet wrote:
A Ghost wrote:
js83 wrote: the trailer came out today...looks like its set in NY...

overhead view 3-D style, not the 2-D overhead like the old joints.

Damn it. I like the new GTA's of course, but there was something about that old style 2-D overhead view that made it so much fun.

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » April 1st, 2007, 5:41 pm

they should let you make ur own gang in the new game

SEKRET
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SEKRET » April 9th, 2007, 3:14 pm

russian_gangsta
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by russian_gangsta » April 10th, 2007, 5:12 am

Gta SanAndreaz - its grand game!!!
i love rockstar!!!!

STWilkes

Unread post by STWilkes » December 12th, 2007, 1:35 am

I cannot wait for GTA4 to come out! It's gonna be the best GTA yet. They said it'll be like the transition from Grand Theft Auto to Grand Theft Auto 3. I'm not sure how many people out there have played the first GTA but it was pretty basic as far as GTA goes. You had four weapons, body armor that took three hits and cop bribes. The maps were bigger though, since the graphics were no where near as good as they are now. But it was a pretty hard game, the controls suck and the completing missions seemed to be almost randomly in your favor. And the cars never caught on fire, they just blew up when they took to much damage. Oh and it was in birds eye view not in 3rd person. It was old school to say the least.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: --

Unread post by Azure9920 » March 30th, 2008, 8:41 am

Don't count on too many GTA's being set outside the United States. GTA was created by Europeans who wanted to show American's how violent they thought their culture was. ALTHOUGH, the game has advanced quite a bit since it's inception, so it's still a possibility.

I'd like to see another London or a Paris set city to be honest.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » March 30th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Azure9920 wrote:Don't count on too many GTA's being set outside the United States. GTA was created by Europeans who wanted to show American's how violent they thought their culture was. ALTHOUGH, the game has advanced quite a bit since it's inception, so it's still a possibility.

I'd like to see another London or a Paris set city to be honest.
The main character is with the Russian mafia and...

Your kidding me, right?

It's Liberty City and it has been for a long time. Where were you? :D :lol:

Here:

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

and

From Wikipedia:

Grand Theft Auto IV takes place in a redesigned Liberty City consisting of five boroughs; four of the boroughs of New York City and New Jersey. Broker is the equivalent of Brooklyn, Queens is Dukes, the Bronx is Bohan, Manhattan is Algonquin, and New Jersey is Alderney (after the Channel Island of the same name). A Staten Island-esque area will not be featured in the game for the reason that Rockstar Games believes it would not be fun to play there. Dan Houser states that there would not be any "dead spots" or "irrelevant space" within Liberty City, such as the wide open deserts in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

The total area of the map is smaller than Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but the new rendition of Liberty City will be far more detailed and is the largest individual city in the Grand Theft Auto series.[13] According to the Official PlayStation 2 Magazine (UK edition), "to get from one side of the new and improved Liberty City to the other will take you at least an hour." Rockstar Games has stated that it is the biggest single city in a Grand Theft Auto game yet, and although smaller than "San Andreas", it is comparable to it in terms of scope when "the level of verticality of the city, the number of buildings you can go into, and the level of detail in those buildings" are taken into account.[12] Eventually, the player will be able to lead Niko to cross the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg bridges and explore.

Screenshots reveal that the Brighton Beach area is renamed as "Hove Beach" from Brighton and Hove, the English city from which the area gets its name; Coney Island is renamed as "Firefly Island"; Central Park is renamed "Middle Park". The "Statue of Happiness" is the game's equivalent of the Statue of Liberty; "Star Junction" is Times Square; "BOABO" (Beneath the Offramp of the Algonquin Bridge Overpass) is DUMBO; the "Thornton Building" is the Flatiron Building; and "Twitchins" is Brooklyn's Domino Sugar Factory; the "GetaLife" building is the MetLife Building; the "Booth Tunnel" is the Lincoln Tunnel (named after Abraham Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth). Other structures include the Coney Island Cyclone, the Chrysler Building, and the Empire State Building.

This is the map for further proof:

:D

Offtopic: This forum really died for some reason since I've been away..There's no more nonstop posting like before. You have to wait like a week for someone to post everywhere. Almost everyone got banned? :roll:

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » March 30th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Yeah, I know it's set in LC, and have known for a while. I'm just saying, for those who expect any GTA's to be set out of the USA, they'll most likely be disappointed.

flame_guards_member1
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by flame_guards_member1 » March 31st, 2008, 3:41 pm

Azure9920 wrote:Yeah, I know it's set in LC, and have known for a while. I'm just saying, for those who expect any GTA's to be set out of the USA, they'll most likely be disappointed.
Yeah they will. I don't want it to be set in other countries outside the USA unless it's based in Toronto or in my hometown. :D Paris, London, Berlin, etc. Nah man, just nah.

Stick to the USA.

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » April 25th, 2008, 8:49 pm

they should base the next one off of b-more like the wire.....shit would be raw...

JonnyHongKong
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by JonnyHongKong » April 25th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Ur right, shit in W. B-More is no joke and would be raw. Problem is, Baltimore is truly not too interesting; kids would get sick of that shit quickly. And that's what they DON'T want...people getting tired of the game, cus that hurts sales.
It's all about money.
No lie, go over to West or North Baltimore....lots of bodies in bags n shit, kids runnin around throwing pistols like a joke...haha it's really nuts.

J

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 26th, 2008, 8:10 am

I'd like to see a dynamic city set up...kinda like what San Andreas had, like..oh let's say, NY, Montreal, Chicago/Detroit..Something along those lines..or maybe just Toronto ;D

whiskeyjack
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by whiskeyjack » April 26th, 2008, 9:19 am

-played the full version today, followed that guy around with the white and black checked sweater for a bit, got shot at by some albanians in the game

-really gory game, not bad i might actually buy it

JonnyHongKong

Unread post by JonnyHongKong » April 26th, 2008, 10:00 am

Good stuff!
I want to buy GTA4 so bad, but I can't seem to bring myself to spend the money...
You'll have to let me know how it is!
Wish they set another one in LA, but better gameplay n graphics than San Andreas.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 26th, 2008, 1:53 pm

JonnyHongKong wrote:Ur right, shit in W. B-More is no joke and would be raw. Problem is, Baltimore is truly not too interesting; kids would get sick of that shit quickly. And that's what they DON'T want...people getting tired of the game, cus that hurts sales.
It's all about money.
No lie, go over to West or North Baltimore....lots of bodies in bags n shit, kids runnin around throwing pistols like a joke...haha it's really nuts.

J
As much as I loved the wire, Baltimore is far too small to be an entire GTA city, maybe a suburb of a larger Balt/Washington setting, but on it's own..nahh.

And definately not before Chicago..I mean, LK's, VL, Gaylords? Come on, you can't beat that shit..

Young Deuce
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by Young Deuce » April 26th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Azure9920 wrote:
JonnyHongKong wrote:Ur right, shit in W. B-More is no joke and would be raw. Problem is, Baltimore is truly not too interesting; kids would get sick of that shit quickly. And that's what they DON'T want...people getting tired of the game, cus that hurts sales.
It's all about money.

J

As much as I loved the wire, Baltimore is far too small to be an entire GTA city, maybe a suburb of a larger Balt/Washington setting, but on it's own..nahh.

And definately not before Chicago..I mean, LK's, VL, Gaylords? Come on, you can't beat that shit..
go play saints row if you want sort of a chi town feel....

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » April 26th, 2008, 3:45 pm

*cough*philly*cough*

JonnyHongKong

Unread post by JonnyHongKong » April 26th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Philly would be a good setting, but it feels like a smaller NY. Why wouldn't they do it bigger and just move it to NY, u know?
B-More, LA, Chicago all have different feels, but Philly has a sorta similar NorthEast feel as NYC....
and in my opinion, I don't think Philly has gangs and organized crime like the other big cities have. That's what GTA is all about.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 27th, 2008, 8:26 am

JonnyHongKong wrote:Philly would be a good setting, but it feels like a smaller NY. Why wouldn't they do it bigger and just move it to NY, u know?
B-More, LA, Chicago all have different feels, but Philly has a sorta similar NorthEast feel as NYC....
and in my opinion, I don't think Philly has gangs and organized crime like the other big cities have. That's what GTA is all about.
I guess you've never heard of BMF or Angelo Bruno eh?

Plus, it doesn't have to be 100% exact to the real city, every GTA has been embelished in some way, shape or form.

A setting like SA with Philly, Pittsburgh, and maybe Detroit? would be just as large as a NYC setting..

JonnyHongKong

Unread post by JonnyHongKong » April 27th, 2008, 8:40 am

Yeah, never heard of BMF.
I see your point, however.
It would be interesting, but they'd have to go out of their way to make each city unique.
Or else it would be monotonous.

Azure9920
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Azure9920 » April 27th, 2008, 8:47 am

JonnyHongKong wrote:Yeah, never heard of BMF.
I see your point, however.
It would be interesting, but they'd have to go out of their way to make each city unique.
Or else it would be monotonous.
Yeah, I do agree. But another NY isn't the way to break monotony.

$outhPhillypuppet
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
If in the United States: Oregon
What city do you live in now?: over there

Unread post by $outhPhillypuppet » April 27th, 2008, 10:48 am

philly is broken down into alot of differnt parts.
sp,swp,wp,np,ne,cc and and that other part that some people call np but its not.
and then those sections are broken down even further.
cc is the big building,rocky steps,business district.
sp,swp,wp,np,g-town are inner city urban hood areas but look and feel TOTALLY different.
add in the shipyard, old city section (cobblestone streets,historical area),pennslanding and market street you have a really good setting for a gta game.

Saying Philly is like NY is like saying LA feels Oakland or Chicago feels Detroit.