Colors (1988)

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 2nd, 2006, 6:34 pm

Trip'n_Loc wrote:well dang my bad...but iz ya'll gon post it up??? :wink:
I was playing with you back silly!! I wouldnt even know where to get it. I am sure someone here does tho.

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » September 2nd, 2006, 6:45 pm

find me a link CHRISTINA!!!!!!!!!

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 2nd, 2006, 6:51 pm

Trip'n_Loc wrote:find me a link CHRISTINA!!!!!!!!!
Hahahaha...you think I am that good huh? Ok, I will see what I can find.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 2nd, 2006, 6:58 pm

Ok...I asked my son and he said something about "bit torrents" and torrent spy. I have NO f-ing clue what he is talking about. I am not that good.
Last edited by Christina Marie on September 3rd, 2006, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » September 2nd, 2006, 9:32 pm

okay thanks...lol

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 3rd, 2006, 12:02 pm

Trip'n_Loc wrote:okay thanks...lol
YW???? :lol:

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » September 3rd, 2006, 4:17 pm

u wierd...anyway, i aint tryna download that old bullcrap yo son subscribed lol so could any1 else get it???

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 3rd, 2006, 4:39 pm

Trip'n_Loc wrote:u wierd...anyway, i aint tryna download that old bullcrap yo son subscribed lol so could any1 else get it???
Ummmmm excuse me? My son is quite knowledgable about computers and if there was any other way to possibly get that movie off the net he would have told me. Maybe you might consider posting a thread here asking how to download movies off the net and see if anyone else gives you a better answer.

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » September 3rd, 2006, 8:28 pm

iight, my bad, no disrespect...

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » September 3rd, 2006, 10:41 pm

Trip'n_Loc wrote:iight, my bad, no disrespect...
Seriously, why dont you just post a thread asking how to do it here?

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » September 4th, 2006, 11:13 am

fine...hold up

pysCh0
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by pysCh0 » October 1st, 2006, 11:28 pm

i use bittorrents and i couldnt find it on any of the sites i used except for isohunt.com but it was a dvd rip and it was 4gb. i didnt download it cuz i was hoping for a smaller compressed version of it

Qdawg
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Re: Colors, 1988

Unread post by Qdawg » October 6th, 2006, 2:57 pm

[quote="DreamerGirl"]Why is everybody "Hating" on colors..........When that movie first came out everybody jocked it and still i like it til today. It shows how shit was crackin back in the days. All this gossip about gangstas hitting up actors is far out. If any gangstas hit up any actors it was all an illusion................

"My favorite scene in COLORS" is when the crips shoot up the bloods at the church and the L.A.P.D started chasing the crips and the crips shoot up the cops, crash & die.......... If thats not action in a gang movie; then what is??????????????? ~DreamerGirl~[/quote]

whose hating on colors?..this movie is cool...but if the director idea was to show how serious bangin was in cali i say you dont put comedians(1 of the wayans brothers) in ya movie to play serious parts

Trip'n_Loc
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Trip'n_Loc » October 6th, 2006, 9:23 pm

^^how about sum1 uploading this movie for me??? :shock:

loser
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by loser » October 7th, 2006, 1:38 am

Trip'n_Loc wrote:^^how about sum1 uploading this movie for me??? :shock:
Yeah I want to see this piece too.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: 408

Unread post by ~J~ » April 6th, 2007, 4:38 pm

chupon106 wrote:colors is 1 of my favorite movies. its definently among the top 5 gang movies. somebody something about frog being from a LA gang. thats just a lie. im from brownsville the southern tip of texas. its part of the rio grande valley n frog is from mission, texas on the northern part of the valley. theres like a picture of him at a movie theatre in mission. i havent seen it but ppl i know have.
You're right (Trinidad Silva) aka:Frog is from Mission, TX. according to the search.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » April 6th, 2007, 5:24 pm

Anyone know the name of the Old~School instrumental song playing at twenty first St party? I'm thinking, it's one of Herbie Hancock song? pretty sure the song doesn't roll on credits. I've also had no luck looking through Herbie's 80's albums. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me. Certainly gain my respect.

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » April 11th, 2007, 3:47 pm

colors made bloods look soft and weak but i still liked the movie

kushsmoke
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by kushsmoke » April 11th, 2007, 4:45 pm

THE PART WHERE THE KID THROWS THE ROCK AT THE COP CAR LOOKS LIKE WEST LA OVERLOOKING THE BUILDINGS NEAR THE MARINA

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » April 11th, 2007, 5:22 pm

KINGFEAR62 wrote:colors made bloods look soft and weak but i still liked the movie
Those O.G Bloods in the jail yard were anything but soft, as High-Top would know.

~J~
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by ~J~ » April 12th, 2007, 12:30 am

Qdawg wrote: whose hating on colors?..this movie is cool...but if the director idea was to show how serious bangin was in cali i say you dont put comedians(1 of the wayans brothers) in ya movie to play serious parts
Damon Wayans is actor none the less so if he can play a crip, why not. though the another actors were more believable. gotta have some actors in the movie, right?

KINGFEAR62
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by KINGFEAR62 » April 12th, 2007, 2:50 pm

bloods got shot at 2 times in thw movie and they never got any hit back the only time bloods looked gangsta in the movie was when they kicked that pretty boy nigga out the gang in the jail yard

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Arkansas
What city do you live in now?: Sacramento

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 21st, 2007, 12:47 pm

kushsmoke wrote:THE PART WHERE THE KID THROWS THE ROCK AT THE COP CAR LOOKS LIKE WEST LA OVERLOOKING THE BUILDINGS NEAR THE MARINA
It was the old site of the Belmont Tunnels, right where the 101 freeway meets the 110 in downtown. It's now a pile of dirt, soon to be developed into a yuppy mini mall.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 21st, 2007, 12:49 pm

~J~ wrote:
Qdawg wrote: whose hating on colors?..this movie is cool...but if the director idea was to show how serious bangin was in cali i say you dont put comedians(1 of the wayans brothers) in ya movie to play serious parts
Damon Wayans is actor none the less so if he can play a crip, why not. though the another actors were more believable. gotta have some actors in the movie, right?
I wonder who came up with, "Gimme my rabbit!". Was it in the script? Was it Wayans' idea?

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 21st, 2007, 12:52 pm

Is it safe to say that Wayans' rabit scene, not to mention his funny lines gossiping in jail, in Colors kicked off his career? It was around the same time that he appeared on one of those Robert Townsend HBO specials. I had that on tape for years and I remember Townsend introducing him as having been in Colors.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 21st, 2007, 12:53 pm

"cops killed killa b man, shot that boy down.."

LOL.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » April 22nd, 2007, 7:10 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
kushsmoke wrote:THE PART WHERE THE KID THROWS THE ROCK AT THE COP CAR LOOKS LIKE WEST LA OVERLOOKING THE BUILDINGS NEAR THE MARINA
It was the old site of the Belmont Tunnels, right where the 101 freeway meets the 110 in downtown. It's now a pile of dirt, soon to be developed into a yuppy mini mall.
I miss belmmont yard...fuck the city.

imperatorce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by imperatorce » April 22nd, 2007, 8:33 pm

Just so you know, the 21st street gang in this movie was never said to be a Sureno gang. Obviously it has Mexicans in the majority but they never, to my knowledge, say anything about Sur 13. The movie was made for a mainstream audience so I doubt the actual legitimacy of the gangs that these characters were from was of much importance to the writers.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 24th, 2007, 1:03 am

imperatorce wrote:Just so you know, the 21st street gang in this movie was never said to be a Sureno gang. Obviously it has Mexicans in the majority but they never, to my knowledge, say anything about Sur 13. The movie was made for a mainstream audience so I doubt the actual legitimacy of the gangs that these characters were from was of much importance to the writers.
Most of the consultants to the film's latino gang scenes were from White Fence, which would certainly make 21st street based on Surenos.

I think 21st street represents the more rookie, out of control Sureno sets of that time. There are only a couple of o.g.'s, with the rest of the gang being teenagers. They're pop locking and break dancing to a hip hop song when Hodges and McGavin first roll up on them.

Flash back to White Fence, earlier, and they're hanging out by their cars, drinking beer, smoking a joint, and listening to Art Laboe's oldie show on KRLA. Nobody throws a rock at Hodges' "office" while he's driving up the hill. It's the sign of a varrio that's under control by it's veteranos.

21st street is a mess from the get go, and winds up being where Hodges loses his life. So, you have two different types of L.A. Sureno gangs circa 1988.

StillNoScript
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by StillNoScript » April 24th, 2007, 1:08 am

Watch the scene where Frog is playing cards with those vatos in jail, when he's overhearing T Bone gossiping about the Crips' planned hit on "Pac Man", and tell me those hard core vatos would let Frog in their poker game if he wasn't a down assed Sureno. That didn't look like a table for wannabes and outcasts, and Frog fit right in.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » April 24th, 2007, 2:32 am

so what are you sayin? frog was a Down ass OG but at the same time his hood was in a shit pile mess?

imperatorce
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by imperatorce » April 24th, 2007, 6:58 pm

StillNoScript wrote:
imperatorce wrote:Just so you know, the 21st street gang in this movie was never said to be a Sureno gang. Obviously it has Mexicans in the majority but they never, to my knowledge, say anything about Sur 13. The movie was made for a mainstream audience so I doubt the actual legitimacy of the gangs that these characters were from was of much importance to the writers.
Most of the consultants to the film's latino gang scenes were from White Fence, which would certainly make 21st street based on Surenos.

I think 21st street represents the more rookie, out of control Sureno sets of that time. There are only a couple of o.g.'s, with the rest of the gang being teenagers. They're pop locking and break dancing to a hip hop song when Hodges and McGavin first roll up on them.

Flash back to White Fence, earlier, and they're hanging out by their cars, drinking beer, smoking a joint, and listening to Art Laboe's oldie show on KRLA. Nobody throws a rock at Hodges' "office" while he's driving up the hill. It's the sign of a varrio that's under control by it's veteranos.

21st street is a mess from the get go, and winds up being where Hodges loses his life. So, you have two different types of L.A. Sureno gangs circa 1988.
if they're trying to be sureno then they do a bad job of it because some of them wear red, none of them rep the 13 or tres puntos, none of their graffiti has any sur words, their rucas are tagging in red, they are a mixed gang (dats more like a norte gang than sur). i respect wat ur saying homeboy but listen: i dont think the people who made the film actually cared. they just wanted a gang that would be mixed so a mainstream audience would be ok with it. think about it, almost anybody can relate to someone in 21st street whether its the red headed faggot or loony toons. the crips are part of the movie, about equal to how much of a part hightop has, but the majority of the movie is about 21st and they wanted it mainstream. no sur gang would ever look like that.