DarkWatch

What are the hottest books and magazine articles on urban culture, hip hop, and street life?
What TV shows, major films, documentaries and independent footage do you find compelling? Video games are also discussed in this section.
J-Hogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

DarkWatch

Unread post by J-Hogg » August 16th, 2005, 2:03 pm

this shit look tight as fuck.anyone played it?i've played the demo & i'm gonna buy it when i get the money.i'll post a review of the demo later.yararaholla

J-Hogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-Hogg » September 17th, 2005, 3:58 pm

i can't believe nones played this.this is the tightest game to come out this year imo.here's that review i was talking about.

August 12, 2005 - If you like nothing better than spending a couple of hours sitting in front of the television set competing in multiplayer sessions with your buddies, then High Moon Studios' long-awaited Darkwatch is exactly the game you're looking for. Intentionally designed as a cross between Halo and Silverado, Darkwatch was created by a dedicated team of first-person shooter fans that wanted to make an FPS for guys like themselves. Spend enough time with the game on your own and you'll be able to identify their enthusiasm for the genre too, as there are obvious references to titles such as Half-Life, Medal of Honor, and the aforementioned Halo everywhere you look.

The good news is that Darkwatch manages to pull off the majority of its tributes rather successfully (whether you're talking about the obvious Halo Warthog copy known as "The Coyote" or the excellent use of the Havok physics engine found in most modern PC shooters). So while you can certainly see the game's various inspirations, Darkwatch never really exudes that tired "rip-off" vibe associated with most of today's lesser known first-person actioners. In essence, it's a product that manages to stand on its own two feet without having to work some kind of revolutionary new mechanic or engine to do so.

That doesn't mean that Darkwatch isn't without its cool little gimmicks, though. At the forefront of its marketing pitch, for example, is a Knights of the Old Republic-style morality system that challenges players to choose between good and evil. The choices they make will then alter their path as well as the abilities of the main character, which creates some differentiation in level progression. Unlike some titles that keep the consequences of your decision-making somewhat subtle, however, Darkwatch always makes it obvious when the time comes to make a choice (thanks to a simple "good or evil" menu that pops up when these situations arise). Sure it takes away from the flow of the action a little bit, but at least it's helpful.

In fact, this morality system is a fairly prevalent aspect of the single-player campaign, as earning the super powers associated with your alignment can improve the amount of attacks for use against the horde of angry undead. When used in conjunction with the "vampire jump" and "vampire vision" abilities, you're potentially quite the formidable force. Unfortunately for you evil folk out there, Darkwatch does seem to favor good-hearted users over the bad ones as the nice guy powers are a lot more useful than the wicked bits. But at least High Moon penalizes you for being indecisive, since teetering between the two forces doesn't reward you with anything but wasted cutscenes... so kudos to that.

Of course, the most impressive thing about Darkwatch's single-player experience is how it controls. It's one of the most responsive first-person shooters I've played without needing a mouse and the smooth movement and highly customizable configuration means that fans of other games can jump right in without a hitch. Targeting your enemies is fast, easy, and accurate too, and that's just as it should be.

Also worth mentioning is Darkwatch's excellent enemy AI. While it's not on the same level as say, Far Cry or Resident Evil 4, the computer's intelligence and behaviors do manage to pull off a couple of impressive feats. Gunslingers, for instance, will dodge your bullets and melee attacks, Banshees coordinate in assault patterns to force you into their sonics, and the more basic low-level creatures team up in packs to rip you to shreds. The CPU's whole mentality is pretty solid and packed with enough aggression to kick even the most hardened veteran in the teeth on the higher settings.

Unfortunately Darkwatch has a couple of holdups that prevent it from reaching the same lofty acclaim awarded to other console FPS darlings like Red Faction and TimeSplitters. The first and most obvious of which is the somewhat uninspired single-player campaign. So while sure, the game does have Coyote and horseback stages along with the ability to select the order of certain missions, the stage design rarely moves beyond caves and canyons and it can create significant collision and movement problems when fighting groups of melee enemies. To be more specific, if you ever find yourself near a crevice or wooden structure that forms a roof above you and you happen to befall an enemy spawn point, it's not uncommon to get "stuck" in corners while sustaining enemy attacks.

Another disappointing element is the storyline itself. There are an awful lot of cutscenes and morality choices that make the whole thing up, but the ultimate conclusion isn't very surprising or rewarding and there's no real sense of closure for such a dialogue-heavy game. On that same token, there are far too many cutscenes to begin with -- constantly breaking up the flow of the action and frequently providing little payoff. At least we get to see some top notch voice-acting from Rose McGowen as the sultry Tala, though, and the red hot love scene has to be seen to be believed.

The vampiric powers that Jericho Cross can earn through the aforementioned morality system aren't as useful as they should be either. The evil melee attack and good fear powers are pretty decent, but you can blast your way through most of the game without needing to rely on anything more than your vision and jumping abilities. I was also disappointed in the horse and vehicle stages as they were short and so infrequent that it seemed almost pointless to have them in at all.

What ultimately saves Darkwatch from becoming "just another decent first-person shooter," though, is its excellent multiplayer features. This is particularly true of the Xbox version of the game that boasts extensive Live capabilities and 16-player simultaneous craziness. There's a slew of cool modes available to Internet players too, including the traditional deathmatch and team deathmatch, capture the flag, and soul hunter. The stage designs and vampire powers are put to much better use on these maps when compared to single-player as well, and I can foresee people spending a lot of time with it long after they've finished with the story campaign.

Regrettably for PlayStation 2 users, the multiplayer aspects don't extend online at all and are limited to an exclusive two-player co-op feature. It's a lot of fun, but it's definitely no supplement for the superb Xbox Live Internet play. To its credit, High Moon has thrown in a few other PS2 exclusives to sweeten the pot even further (a special grenade type known as "splitters" and an extra level with an armored locomotive boss among them), but if you have both systems and are on the fence as to which one to get, the Xbox's multiplayer makes it a no-brainer.

Closing Comments
Darkwatch is a solid first-person shooter that does the genre justice, but it's less than strong presentation elements and disappointing single-player adventure keeps it from living up to its true potential. Luckily the game controls like a breeze and the multiplayer elements (offline and on) are good enough to warrant a playthrough for even the most casual first-person shooter fans. It's a solid start for a proposed franchise and I'd really like what the team has planned for it next.

Another Take from David Clayman
Darkwatch has just enough unique qualities to make it stand out in the library of Xbox shooters. The subject matter is titillating, the gameplay is tight, and the weapons are stylish and fun to use. But what really sold me on the title was the high-flying multiplayer mode. A powerful double jump feature allows player to launch themselves through the air, across canyons, and over obstacles. This makes for some excellent aerial encounters and some very cool moments when the sky fills with airborne vampires. On paper this mechanic may sound like it presents control issues but there is also a jump cancel option that slams players back to earth with surprising precision. The concept is simple, but the implementation is brilliant. The multiplayer experience is more than Halo with teeth and it’s one of the most fun multiplayer shooters on the console.

7.0 Presentation
Too many cutscenes without resolve and a somewhat disappointing storyline are supplemented by strong load times and a cool art style.

7.5 Graphics
A solid array of special effects and an excellent framerate joins forces with average character models and decent environmental textures.

7.5 Sound
The voice acting work is above-par and the sparse music fits the mood perfectly. The audio effects are equally cool.

7.5 Gameplay
Darkwatch feels fantastic and is as responsive as they come. Strong AI and physics add to the equation too, but the stage design and vampiric powers are under-realized.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Single-player does its job but doesn't do anything special. The extensive online multiplayer mode, on the other hand, should keep you coming back for weeks.

7.9 OVERALL

J-Hogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-Hogg » September 17th, 2005, 4:02 pm

SkoobyDoo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by SkoobyDoo » September 17th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Eh, doesn't look like the type i'd play. I don't have an xbox anyway. PS2 is what i play.

J-Hogg
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by J-Hogg » September 17th, 2005, 7:38 pm

SkoobyDoo wrote:Eh, doesn't look like the type i'd play. I don't have an xbox anyway. PS2 is what i play.
it's on PS2 too.

if you like shooting games you should check it out.

but you probably like sci fi shooting games like halo or area 51.

this game is a western/horror.it's tighter then other game that out right now IMO.