L.A. GANGS ~versus~ CHICAGO GANGS

The Midwest for the pupose of this forum will be defined as the following States; Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Rollin_inmy_SixFo
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: L.A. GANGS ~versus~ CHICAGO GANGS

Unread post by Rollin_inmy_SixFo » January 31st, 2005, 7:33 pm

blackmanofhonor wrote:also,no sane person would go into humboldt park trying to film the Kings or Maniacs,or into englewood trying to film the GDs or BDs lol

its called ''wanting to stay alive""

The things is, there are stories on LA gangs, the Italian Mafia, the Russian Mafia, and all other mafias but I've never seen one on humboldt park or englewood gangs. Its not about giving up info but it is about commanding enough respect or whatever you want to call it, that somebody wants to do a story on a particular organization.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 9:28 am

chicago gangs/nations are not friendly to news media.....unlike some LA gangs who seem to enjoy media attention

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 9:30 am

Rollin_inmy_SixFo wrote:
FLUID wrote:It's all in your mind! I aint never heard of no humbolt park, englewood, an pilsen. Never heard any news stories, no movies, no documentaries, nothing. WHY-IS-THAT??

Why Is That? Cause when it comes to golrifying gangs and shit, the media only focuses on LA. All the gang movies only been filmed in Watts, Compton, and South Central. They love to exploit LA.

Or they just don't think Chicago is worth it. And it probaly aint.[/quote]

real criminals tend to not want to expose themselves on TV....chicago gang members dont talk to the police or media,if they do then they would have problems with thier own Nation.

Rollin,why dont you go and try to film chicago bangers,I would bet they send your ass back to cali in a body bag.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: New York City

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 1st, 2005, 9:34 am

Chicago's Westside is a rough area. Just judging based off being to both the Southside and the Westside of Chi, I would say there are more gangs and higher poverty in the Westside. Would I be correct in saying that? Also, being that this is probably common knowledge, what gang/gangs control Cabrini Green.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 1st, 2005, 9:35 am

Chicago's Westside is a rough area. Just judging based off being to both the Southside and the Westside of Chi, I would say there are more gangs and higher poverty in the Westside. Would I be correct in saying that? Also, being that this is probably common knowledge, what gang/gangs control Cabrini Green.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Tijuana

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 9:35 am

It is called 'notoriety' making known whom you are and where you're at.

L.A. gangs always making a challenge to anyone that wishes to come out and play.

One of the things that all street gangsters in L.A. learn real quick, is where everybody is located at and where you can find your enemies.

Nobody hides down here, everyone is out in the open for whatever.

It is like a tradition to put up your flag and let everyone know where you control your piece of ground.

That is how I beleive we do it downhere in Califas.

Cold Bear
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Cold Bear » February 1st, 2005, 9:39 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:
Rollin_inmy_SixFo wrote:
FLUID wrote:It's all in your mind! I aint never heard of no humbolt park, englewood, an pilsen. Never heard any news stories, no movies, no documentaries, nothing. WHY-IS-THAT??

Why Is That? Cause when it comes to golrifying gangs and shit, the media only focuses on LA. All the gang movies only been filmed in Watts, Compton, and South Central. They love to exploit LA.

Or they just don't think Chicago is worth it. And it probaly aint.

real criminals tend to not want to expose themselves on TV....chicago gang members dont talk to the police or media,if they do then they would have problems with thier own Nation.

Rollin,why dont you go and try to film chicago bangers,I would bet they send your ass back to cali in a body bag.[/quote]

Have you been out to the west, blackmanofhonor? As somebody who has been to the Chi on numerous occasions, cause I used to have fam out there, I think I might be able to judge LA vs. Chi, but if you haven't been out west, how can you make these assumptions on LA?

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 9:42 am

GDs mostly controlled the Cabrini green area,although most of Cabrini green has been town down

there are alot of areas in chicago that are real life shooting galleries,where rival mobs cap at each other on a regular basis.Nobody would want to film anything in these areas.theres no palm trees and sunny smiley faces,just murder,drug dealing and grimey ghetto streets.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 9:45 am

Cold Bear wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:
Rollin_inmy_SixFo wrote:[quote="FLUID"]It's all in your mind! I aint never heard of no humbolt park, englewood, an pilsen. Never heard any news stories, no movies, no documentaries, nothing. WHY-IS-THAT??

Or they just don't think Chicago is worth it. And it probaly aint.

Rollin,why dont you go and try to film chicago bangers,I would bet they send your ass back to cali in a body bag.[/quote]

Have you been out to the west, blackmanofhonor? As somebody who has been to the Chi on numerous occasions, cause I used to have fam out there, I think I might be able to judge LA vs. Chi, but if you haven't been out west, how can you make these assumptions on LA?[/quote]

I went to san Diego when I was a child.Other than that I havent been out west.And if i did go,it wouldnt be for the purpose of seeing how grimey thier streets are.It would be a vacation time.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 10:22 am

Ahh Holmes, you can't be going that route about us down here :lol: , vacation is one thing, living in the hood and going thru it all is another.

I ain't taking nothing away from Chicago at all, we all know there is serious play that has been going on there since olden times. Surely we have two distinct gang cultures, and that is the question that I posed here as to which structure is more diciplined per say, "NOT WHICH IS THE HARDEST STYLE" cause you know we all are BIASED for our own.

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » February 1st, 2005, 10:28 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:GDs mostly controlled the Cabrini green area,although most of Cabrini green has been town down

there are alot of areas in chicago that are real life shooting galleries,where rival mobs cap at each other on a regular basis.Nobody would want to film anything in these areas.theres no palm trees and sunny smiley faces,just murder,drug dealing and grimey ghetto streets.

I would say don't let the palm trees fool you, and Chicago is a tourist city as well,by the way,I'm goin to Chi-Town in august....

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 10:47 am

I know there are ghettos and hardcore bangers in LA.I was just saying that there arent friendly gang members welcoming strangers with cameras into thier hoods in chicago.It just wont happen.

I have however seen LA gangs welcome cameras into thier hoods.I believe it was the Florencia 13.I forgot which show it was.There was also a gang called 38th street on the show,but when the cameramen tried filming them the 38th street members avoided them.

when Oprah Winfrey filmed that movie in Cabrini Green,she had to get permission from the gang leaders in the area FIRST before filming.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 10:48 am

thrak wrote:
blackmanofhonor wrote:GDs mostly controlled the Cabrini green area,although most of Cabrini green has been town down

I would say don't let the palm trees fool you, and Chicago is a tourist city as well,by the way,I'm goin to Chi-Town in august....

youre not going on a ''tour'' of pilsen or englewood i guarentee.Especially with a camera in your hand.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 10:55 am

We don't have a leadership hirearchy, that is completely ALIEN to us.
We fight the same enemies and we have each other back, yet we retain our self-being. Sounds to me that you have DICTATORSHIPS up there?
We have what some call 'shot-callers', but that is a term for Homies that have more street common-sense and years of experience that lends more credibility to them.
The Chicano gangs do have rules to follow, and you will be diciplined for stepping out of bounds, but is not like STAND UP AN RECITE THE PLEDGE.
But for the most part, the same rules apply everywhere you go down here, or should I say "applied' as in "past tense".

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 11:04 am

its not dictatorships,its merely organization.How can you have a Nation without leadership or structure.chicago gangs are involved in politics,they have out of state branches,they throw extremaly large parties on thier holidays,they print and distribute thier nations literature books,etc this all takes money and organization to pull off.

members of Nations have a great deal of respect for thier Nations leaders.If they do disrespect thier Nations leadership,they are swiftly dealt with.

Try running a buisness or a corporation without any leadership,and see how far you get.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 11:07 am

the literature(or lit) is used to lay down the Nations principles,rules and purposes.Just as the United States has a constitution and struture,without it the USA would not be the strongest country on earth.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 11:09 am

So is it a ONE MAN RULE or do you also have ministers and such?

PRESIDENT?
VICE PRESIDENT?
WAR CHIEF/WARLORD?
SECRETARY?
TREASURER?

ELECTED?
EARNED?
POPULARITY?

GANG SHARES PROFITS?
GANG DITRIBUTES TO THE COMMUNITY?
GANG IS INTO POLITICS?

WHAT?
EDUCATE ME?

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » February 1st, 2005, 11:09 am

I never said that I'll go " slumming" because that's disgusting...I've got respect for the people in those areas and see what they are going through.Like yourself, blackmanofhonor, I'm not into seeing bad hoods but more looking for a fun vacation time there.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 11:12 am

lonewolf wrote:So is it a ONE MAN RULE or do you also have ministers and such?

PRESIDENT?
VICE PRESIDENT?
WAR CHIEF/WARLORD?
SECRETARY?
TREASURER?

ELECTED?
EARNED?
POPULARITY?

GANG SHARES PROFITS?
GANG DITRIBUTES TO THE COMMUNITY?
GANG IS INTO POLITICS?

WHAT?
EDUCATE ME?

most chicago mobs do have one leader with the top position,with a number of ranks/positions below him,with the lowest rank being soldier,and even lower ranking than that are shorties being groomed for full membership.

yes,chicago mobs have been known to be involved in politics.The BPS,Vice Lords and GDs all have been known to be politicaly active.I will post an atricle below

RuthlessCray
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight
What city do you live in now?: IE

Unread post by RuthlessCray » February 1st, 2005, 11:15 am

remember that the Surenos organization is the Mexican Mafia. which is probably the most organized gang in California. they do have rules and all of that. but a regular southsider on the streets doesnt have all the rules until they go to prison and move up in rank. except its not just an LA thing its all of southern california. without saying to much, i beleive the godfather right now is from IE.

zzzz
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by zzzz » February 1st, 2005, 11:15 am

blackmanofhonor wrote:I was just saying that there arent friendly gang members welcoming strangers with cameras into thier hoods in chicago.It just wont happen.

So this wasn't filmed in Chicago?

[url]http://207.150.192.12/temp/bobsnews/trustTRAILER-1.wmv[/url]

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 11:16 am

CHICAGO -- When gang shootings at the Robert Taylor projects got so bad that buying food meant crossing a war zone, Ethel Washington approached the only force she thought could halt the killing: the gangs themselves.

"I got tired of hearing the mothers screamin' and hollerin' " says the resident of a battered high-rise overlooking some of Chicago's prize drug turf.

As police tactics failed, Mrs. Washington phoned 21st Century Voices of Total Empowerment (VOTE), a gang-run political group. Soon, street-wise envoys from Chicago's biggest gang, the Gangster Disciples, showed up at her door. Within days, she says, the gunfire virtually stopped. "They came - nobody else," recalls Washington, who still cooperates with the gang members.

The late-1993 incident underscores how one of the country's most powerful gangs has extended its reach beyond its corporate drug empire. Following a path well-marked by the Mafia and other organized-crime groups, the Disciples have maneuvered deep into the frayed social fabric and political life of inner-city Chicago.

From housing projects to schools and churches, the 30,000-strong Gangster Disciples (GD) has used its muscle, money, and manpower to impose a brute order on neighborhoods. It has infiltrated police and security forces, monitored school hallways, mobilized protesters, and registered voters, residents and officials say.

A federal investigation and trial have recently produced new evidence of the GD's control over inner-city life. Seven Gangster Disciples leaders were convicted in federal court on March 6 for running a multimillion-dollar drug conspiracy. The convictions included charges that they used narcotics proceeds to fund 21st Century VOTE, which finances candidates, rallies, and voter-registration drives. GD chief Larry "King" Hoover is scheduled to go on trial in October.

Federal prosecutors charge that the Gangster Disciples' foray into social and political activism in the 1990s is a calculated effort to legitimize an organized-crime gang and win parole for Mr. Hoover, who is already serving a 150- to 200-year sentence for murder.

"Hoover wanted to portray himself as a leader children could look up to," says assistant US Attorney Ron Safer.

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and other local politicians have slammed Hoover's alliance with 21st Century VOTE, which is under investigation by the Illinois Board of Elections for failing, in its campaign disclosure documents, to account for tens of thousands of dollars.

"Organized crime, dope dealers, have always sought legitimacy," Mr. Daley said last month. Crime is the keystone of gang power, Daley says, and it is naive to believe gang leaders will renounce lawbreaking.

Not so, counter defense attorneys and some community activists. While condemning the GD's drug sales, violence, and other "anti-social behavior," they claim that Hoover and other gang members have embraced a positive political agenda. The GD and other gangs, they assert, could shun crime and become a street-toughened force for black empowerment.

"How can we discourage [the gang] from getting involved in political activities when we know the other side is them shooting each other?" says defense attorney Standish Willis, chairman of the Chicago Conference of Black Lawyers. "We have a vested interest in bringing them to the table."

Political ties that bind?
Indeed, prominent black leaders, including the Rev. Jesse Jackson of Operation PUSH and Chicago Urban League president James Compton, have joined in a voter-registration drive with 21st Century VOTE, despite its gang links.

Candidates for Congress, City Council, and local school councils have in recent years accepted support either from 21st Century VOTE or close Hoover associate Wallace "Gator" Bradley, a GD member and political activist. These include US Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D) of Illinois and Cook County Commissioner Danny Davis, who last week won the Democratic primary in Chicago's Seventh Congressional District.

"Gangs are involved in politics, just like the Fraternal Order of Police," said Mr. Bradley from his pager phone. "I am not telling youth to go to the corner and sell drugs, I am telling them to vote - a ballot is better than a bullet."

But for Ethel Washington and thousands of others living in GD territory on Chicago's predominantly black South Side, dealing with the gang is less a choice than an inevitability.

Against a backdrop of vacant lots and boarded-up storefronts, poverty and joblessness, many residents accept the gang's drug business and fleeting protection much as they do the metal gratings on their windows.

"Gangs are a symptom of our community going through poverty," says Cecil Davis, a community organizer in Englewood, where 43 percent of residents live below the poverty line. In an office warmed only by a space heater, Mr. Davis, wrapped in a coat and wool cap, paints a Darwinian picture of survival in his South Side neighborhood.

"If you have a son who can't find a job, and the dealer down the street offers him $100 to $200 a day to sell drugs, and if that pays for groceries and rent and gas, you can imagine what choice people make," he says.

Although fear and loathing for the Gangster Disciples' culture of violence are widespread in Englewood, so is a reluctant recognition of the gang as perhaps the neighborhood's best-organized group.

"[We must] confront the realities of the gang structure," says Nehemiah Russell, assistant principal of the Englewood Technical Preparatory Academy, a public high school. "Every school in the inner city is controlled by a gang, and all Englewood students have some relationship to the gang structure, so it makes sense for me to deal with them."

Sporting a black fedora and gripping a walkie-talkie, Mr. Russell strategically stations himself on a corner outside the school at 2:45 p.m., just as students begin flowing out of the building.

"How are you, sir? Be honorable, sir!" he advises a gang member whose car slows at the corner. The youth smiles back and waves.

Nearby, four adult gang representatives - two from the GDs and two from the rival Black Disciples (BD) - take up posts around the school to forestall gang crime and violence.

Unusual school discipline
The daily drill is part of a controversial, four-year-old program under which the two gangs have played a key role in discipline at the school, punishing unruly members with warnings, fines, or beatings.

Former GD member-turned-political activist Hal Baskin, who helped design the program, credits his former high school classmate Hoover and BD leader Jerome "Shorty" Freeman for helping to curb violence and maintain a gang truce at the school. "To stop the killing, you have to talk to the killers," explains the Mississippi-born Mr. Baskin.

Within the community, however, not all voices are joining the chorus of acceptance for turning to gangs. Although he credits the school program with a degree of effectiveness, South Side NAACP head Furmin Sessoms asks: "The question is, do we want gangs to be controlling the schools? It puts everyone at risk for potential violent acts of recrimination, or just rebellion, by young members."

Still, many South Side residents, like Washington, have turned to the GDs when police protection fails.

When the Rev. T.L. Barrett complained about someone attacking his home with bricks, gang leaders responded. Within two hours they had two young men kneeling before him apologizing for the vandalism. Gang leaders placed the youths on guard duty outside his home, Mr. Barrett said.

Impressed, Barrett met with other ministers and community leaders to explore how gangs could help fight crime.

Former South Side NAACP director Sidney Finley used to pay a visit to the local gang leader whenever his hubcaps were stolen. "Within an hour" the caps would be back, "either the exact same ones or new ones," recalls Mr. Sessoms.

Chicago police acknowledge they are outmanned in gang-dominated projects. Still, "we would hope that [turning to gangs] is an alternative residents would not have to take," says Wynona Redmond, spokeswoman for the Chicago police. "We would discourage it."

Back in his dim, unheated office at Englewood Community Development, Davis predicts that the federal crackdown on the GDs is unlikely to loosen the grip of gangs on the neighborhood.

"Larry Hoover's conviction wouldn't change how people here live," he says. "Drug sales will go on. It's just a question of who will control it."

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » February 1st, 2005, 11:27 am

I've started a string about Jeff " Chief Malik " Fort in the legends of the game section but nobody paid it mind.It contains his biography and info about the BPSN 'S leadership structures.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 11:30 am

So they're more like a GUERRILLA GROUP exercising power and dicipline within their territories that allows them to be benevolent at the same time that they are working for profit making and political leverage?

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 11:33 am

thrak wrote:I've started a string about Jeff " Chief Malik " Fort in the legends of the game section but nobody paid it mind.It contains his biography and info about the BPSN 'S leadership structures.
I'll check it Homie.

It's on this site?

1111§
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by 1111§ » February 1st, 2005, 11:34 am

Yeah lonewolf.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 11:42 am

Chicago gangs in my mind bring up the DRUG LORDS down in Mexico who give back to the community what their goverment has failed to provide.

The Drug Lords give money for infracstructute such as schools, bridges and roads, they sub-sidize farmers whom would otherwise lose their land to the bank, they provide jobs in the resort hotels and factories that they invest their money for laundering. This makes them very popular with the locals to the point where they are protected and given support by a large number of the citizenry, especially by those that see them as modern day Robin Hoods standing up to the Norte-Americanos and their Corporations which force them out of their lands and their small-factories.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 12:15 pm

the chicago Nations get involved in politics for good purposes.....many ''gang'' leaders and members do want to make a positive change.there are a lack of jobs in Chicago,so naturally you are going to have people selling drugs to feed thier families.People have to eat.The powers that be dont want to see blacks or latinos move forward,if they did they would fix the problem instead of focusing on the symptoms.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 12:17 pm

notice how the feds tried to destroy the GDs after they got involved in politics.Its no coincidence that the GDs involvement in politics and the Federal indictments came around the same time.

Lonewolf
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by Lonewolf » February 1st, 2005, 12:21 pm

^^^^ I can understand that.

We Mexicans from either south ot north of the border see it a bit differently.

We can either blend in (many do), or we can use the system to our advantage (most do).

For centuries we have been second class citizens, and the only way we can make it out (for most) is either by shedding our culture/language/politics and all to blend in ~OR~ create our own society within the society (HOW DICIPLINED IS THAT :wink: )

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 12:34 pm

lonewolf wrote:^^^^ I can understand that.

We Mexicans from either south ot north of the border see it a bit differently.

We can either blend in (many do),

a mexican can never fully blend in.What trips me out about some cali mexicans is they seem to think like whites.The mexican folks/people see themselves as fellow minorities with blacks/puerto ricans.Mexican mobs like the Satan Disciples,Latin Counts,etc all have working relationships with black mobs.

blackmanofhonor
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by blackmanofhonor » February 1st, 2005, 12:36 pm

^^^you would never see a mexican mob side with whites over blacks out here like the Surenos side with the aryans.

Return to “Gang Questions, Info & News - Mid West - U.S.A.”