Tagger in Atlanta 2011?

Discuss gangs in the The South in the following states; Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C. & West Virgina
alexalonso
Founder
Founder
If in the United States: California
What city do you live in now?: Los Angeles

Tagger in Atlanta 2011?

Unread post by alexalonso » February 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Someone emailed me this graffiti from atlanta asking if it was Mexican gang graffiti. I told them that it was graffiti from a tagger named Sire.
Attachments
atl_graffiti_021610.jpg
atl_graffiti_021610.jpg (182.16 KiB) Viewed 6006 times

triplethreat
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Re: Tagger in Atlanta 2011?

Unread post by triplethreat » February 17th, 2011, 2:27 am

My interpretation is the same. That's straight up tagger style and not gang graffiti. Kinda annoying when ppl who aren't educated about graffiti always associate it with gangs.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » February 17th, 2011, 4:49 am

triplethreat wrote:My interpretation is the same. That's straight up tagger style and not gang graffiti. Kinda annoying when ppl who aren't educated about graffiti always associate it with gangs.
@ triplethreat- I agree with you homie. But welcome to the south. Since the olympics, the emegence of latino gangs has been off the chain in ATL. They don't know what to do with them. Now people are so paranoid down here, they will thin any kind of graffiti is gang related. They need to get on here so they could learn something.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » February 18th, 2011, 8:36 pm

to assume that some scribblings on the wall are "Mexican gang graffiti" reflects a paranoia that reflects people's stereotypes most likely based on false perceptions by the media and law enforcement.

Quepolo3
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Georgia
What city do you live in now?: Atlanta

Unread post by Quepolo3 » February 19th, 2011, 7:28 am

alexalonso wrote:to assume that some scribblings on the wall are "Mexican gang graffiti" reflects a paranoia that reflects people's stereotypes most likely based on false perceptions by the media and law enforcement.
You are exactly right alonso. These negative stereotypes are now being directed towards the Hispanic community as it was done to African American community in the south forever. It is my belief that this vilification is a result of the loss of many blue collar jobs by whites to hispanics in the south. While there has been an emergence of some gangs in the ATL, your aforementioned quote gives a correct summation of the issue.

alexalonso
Founder
Founder

Unread post by alexalonso » July 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I think this person was actually using a caligraphy marker,