GANGS VS MAFIAS

American organized crime groups included traditional groups such as La Cosa Nostra & the Italian Mafia to modern groups such as Black Mafia Family. Discuss the most organized criminal groups in the United States including gangs in Canada.
Forum rules
This section discusses organized crime groups in the US and Canadian street gangs.
andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » February 23rd, 2008, 10:22 pm

i imagine just unlucky..............if they knew in the 80's how big it was gonna get trust me they would have thier hands in it somehow

andrew
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by andrew » February 23rd, 2008, 10:23 pm

i imagine just unlucky..............if they knew in the 80's how big it was gonna get trust me they would have thier hands in it somehow

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » February 24th, 2008, 10:06 am

perongregory wrote:theres a reason the mafia could never really get into the gangster rap scene like they infiltrated lot of other artists business, and genres. The mafia is smart and have a lot more shit to lose, street gangsters (at least in the gang meccas) are on another tip and don't give a fu-- bout all that mafia shit people tryna pump here.
Nobody is trying to "pump" anything here. The Mafia isn't as involved in the music business as they were in the 80's, much less the 50's. The whole gangster rap genre is a totally different world. It's something the mob wouldn't be involved in.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 25th, 2008, 12:19 pm

thewestside wrote:
perongregory wrote:theres a reason the mafia could never really get into the gangster rap scene like they infiltrated lot of other artists business, and genres. The mafia is smart and have a lot more shit to lose, street gangsters (at least in the gang meccas) are on another tip and don't give a fu-- bout all that mafia shit people tryna pump here.
Nobody is trying to "pump" anything here. The Mafia isn't as involved in the music business as they were in the 80's, much less the 50's. The whole gangster rap genre is a totally different world. It's something the mob wouldn't be involved in.
exactly.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » February 26th, 2008, 12:12 am

perongregory wrote:
thewestside wrote:
exactly.
You originally said the Mafia chose not to get involved in rap because they "had a lot more shit to lose," implying the industry poses some sort of danger to them. My contention was that the Mafia is not involved because there is no connection between the two to begin with. There's no angle for the Mafia to exploit in order to infiltrate the business. It has more to do with a cultural divide than the Mafia choosing to stay out because they're afraid of gangster rappers. Especially considering how much gangster rappers love to emulate the Mafia.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » February 26th, 2008, 1:00 am

Although they are usually different worlds, the Mafia and gangs sometimes meet, as the recent Lucchese family bust shows. Members of the Nine-Trey Bloods gang had formed a partnership with lower level members and associates of the Lucchese crime family to smuggle drugs and cell phones into prison.

The chart below is of those that were in the indictment, which mainly centered around one of the crime family's illegal gambling operations. The top two guys, Matthew Madonna and Joseph DiNapoli, are captains who are currently serving as acting bosses of the Lucchese family. The third guy, Ralph Perna, is a Lucchese captain who oversees the family's operations in New Jersey. The five guys below, Antonio Russo, Joseph Perna, John Perna, John Mangarella, and Martin Tatccetta, are all soldiers in the Lucchese family. The two bottom rows are made up of associates of the family. On the right side of the bottom row are members or associates of the Bloods gang. The last guy farthest to the right is a prison guard who was indicted in the conspiracy.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » February 26th, 2008, 1:00 am

Although they are usually different worlds, the Mafia and gangs sometimes meet, as the recent Lucchese family bust shows. Members of the Nine-Trey Bloods gang had formed a partnership with lower level members and associates of the Lucchese crime family to smuggle drugs and cell phones into prison.

The chart below is of those that were in the indictment, which mainly centered around one of the crime family's illegal gambling operations. The top two guys, Matthew Madonna and Joseph DiNapoli, are captains who are currently serving as acting bosses of the Lucchese family. The third guy, Ralph Perna, is a Lucchese captain who oversees the family's operations in New Jersey. The five guys below, Antonio Russo, Joseph Perna, John Perna, John Mangarella, and Martin Tatccetta, are all soldiers in the Lucchese family. The two bottom rows are made up of associates of the family. On the right side of the bottom row are members or associates of the Bloods gang. The last guy farthest to the right is a prison guard who was indicted in the conspiracy.

perongregory
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by perongregory » February 29th, 2008, 3:34 pm

thewestside wrote:
perongregory wrote:
thewestside wrote:
exactly.
You originally said the Mafia chose not to get involved in rap because they "had a lot more shit to lose," implying the industry poses some sort of danger to them. My contention was that the Mafia is not involved because there is no connection between the two to begin with. There's no angle for the Mafia to exploit in order to infiltrate the business. It has more to do with a cultural divide than the Mafia choosing to stay out because they're afraid of gangster rappers. Especially considering how much gangster rappers love to emulate the Mafia.
I don't believe so, if their is money to be madewith the least amount of risk I believe the Mafia would be there, but there are too many other aggressive street criminal groups invested in gangsta rap.

TeeKay
Light Heavy Weight
Light Heavy Weight

Unread post by TeeKay » February 29th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Not really on topic but i remember when wu tang had their hey day in the 90's they used to talk about how they owe part of their success in starting up (namely the RZA said this) their music to some wiseguys from the gambinos.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » February 29th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Morris Levy, founder of Roulette Records, was a longtime associate of the Genovese family. Levy was the inspiration for the character Herman "Hesh" Rabkin on The Sopranos. A good book that deals with the mob's continued involvement in the music industry up through the 1980's is Stiffed: A True Story of MCA, the Music Business, and the Mafia by William Knoedelseder.

thewestside
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight

Unread post by thewestside » March 1st, 2008, 1:26 am

perongregory wrote:
I don't believe so, if their is money to be madewith the least amount of risk I believe the Mafia would be there, but there are too many other aggressive street criminal groups invested in gangsta rap.
Well there's certainly money to be made but I'm not sure where the "risk" for the Mafia would be. The Mafia is not involved in gangsta rap for the same reason they aren't involved in importing food from Fiji - there's no initial connection. It has little to do with aggressive street criminal groups other than the fact that most mafiosi would want to avoid the kind of attention that could come from associating or doing business with gangbangers.

truestar
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by truestar » March 14th, 2008, 3:42 pm

who ever posted this is retarted lol

truestar
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by truestar » April 4th, 2008, 6:26 pm

gangs r retarted people lol

Elimu
Straw Weight
Straw Weight
What city do you live in now?: Columbus

Re: GANGS VS MAFIAS

Unread post by Elimu » February 10th, 2009, 6:14 pm

I know this topic is probably closed by now and I'm a little late but I was watching gangland that come on the history channel and saw the episode on this group called the Gotti Boyz in New Orleans, and wondered is a group still recognized as an streetgang even if the members do not wear or show any similiar identity nor use grafitti to mark thier territory?

Mcminister
Heavy Weight
Heavy Weight

Unread post by Mcminister » February 10th, 2009, 10:15 pm

to be honest i don even kno who a gotti boi or not..i can swear them boiz was on braeswood tho out here in houston

IronManCash10
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
What city do you live in now?: Worldwide

Unread post by IronManCash10 » February 11th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Elimu wrote:I know this topic is probably closed by now and I'm a little late but I was watching gangland that come on the history channel and saw the episode on this group called the Gotti Boyz in New Orleans, and wondered is a group still recognized as an streetgang even if the members do not wear or show any similiar identity nor use grafitti to mark thier territory?
the gotti boys are a crew. unless theyve expanded and made themselves a gang.

ViciousRidah
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
If in the United States: Tennessee
What city do you live in now?: A City Where Im Low Key

Unread post by ViciousRidah » November 22nd, 2010, 11:39 pm

I remember going to NYC some time back and heard the NYC Kings had beef with some LCN family. Sianola Cartel being linked with Chi-Town Mobs was big news in the papers.