Essence of gangs

This is the forum for those who believe that there are other options to gangs and violence and hope to see young people make better choices about their future. Where does change begin?

Moderator: Guest

ahv

Essence of gangs

Unread post by ahv » December 16th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Hello!

As Sentenza suggested, I'll post my questions here.

I'm not from USA, I've never belonged to any of the gangs (had couple of fights in past though :) ), actually, everything that I know about gangs, is learned from movies like "Menace II Society", "Training Day" and so on (TD being one of my all-time favs).

What's the reason of belonging to a gang? Just to have a feeling to be a part of the crowd? And hang around in corners, dealing drugs, kicking some rival gang's butt and waiting drive-by shooting? Or are there any no-violent purposes? Or are films about gang-life lying and making things seem worse?

From here it seems kind of pointless to waste your life as being a tough guy (like lyrics in G.Master Flash "Message). Is it really so?

And, this site is about streetgangs. Do you really chat around here about violent acts commited by gangs, or are there, as I asked before, some non-violent purposes too?

p.s. if my questions are too hard to understand, I'll try to rearrange them:)

Thank you,

Ahv

Jota
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by Jota » December 21st, 2005, 3:04 pm

You know whats the reason of joining a gang its about the PAPER ($$$$$).
Especially in a society like USA where its all about the money and if you aint got money you aint nobody , so for poor kids from the ghetto its a way to make cash.

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight
Location: "It is the racist who creates the inferior." fanon.

Unread post by black » December 22nd, 2005, 2:16 am

^^^^^^^^ lmao......

gent11236
Straw Weight
Straw Weight

Unread post by gent11236 » December 23rd, 2005, 10:58 pm

what funny?

Same reason why i'd join a organized crime. Wouldn't really join a gang but some mobsters or gang that is atleast organized wanted to recruit me damn i in there. I don't want chump change thousands i want hundred thousands and millions. All that other shit like protection and wanting a family is no reason for me to join a gang, i handle my own beef.

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » December 27th, 2005, 6:49 pm

[quote="gent11236"]what funny?

i think that instead of joining a gang join the military. and take that toughness to go and kill the insurgents that are killing our troops. You can also make money that way, and meet new people that you can call a family. just a suggestion]

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » December 27th, 2005, 7:58 pm

tiny girl wrote:
gent11236 wrote:what funny?

i think that instead of joining a gang join the military. and take that toughness to go and kill the insurgents that are killing our troops. You can also make money that way, and meet new people that you can call a family. just a suggestion]
Yea but then they would have to take orders. Most gangsters i've seen don't like being told what to do.

Sentenza
Super Heavy Weight
Super Heavy Weight
If in the United States: American Samoa
What city do you live in now?: WestBerlin

Re: Essence of gangs

Unread post by Sentenza » December 28th, 2005, 6:26 am

ahv wrote:Hello!

As Sentenza suggested, I'll post my questions here.

I'm not from USA, I've never belonged to any of the gangs (had couple of fights in past though :) ), actually, everything that I know about gangs, is learned from movies like "Menace II Society", "Training Day" and so on (TD being one of my all-time favs).

What's the reason of belonging to a gang? Just to have a feeling to be a part of the crowd? And hang around in corners, dealing drugs, kicking some rival gang's butt and waiting drive-by shooting? Or are there any no-violent purposes? Or are films about gang-life lying and making things seem worse?

From here it seems kind of pointless to waste your life as being a tough guy (like lyrics in G.Master Flash "Message). Is it really so?

And, this site is about streetgangs. Do you really chat around here about violent acts commited by gangs, or are there, as I asked before, some non-violent purposes too?

p.s. if my questions are too hard to understand, I'll try to rearrange them:)

Thank you,

Ahv
One thing, that ALL places have in common where gangs exist is the demise of social structures, for whatever reason it may be, but its basically the same everywhere you can find gangs.
I personally think there can be many reasons to join a gang.
Lack of better options, when trying to be someone in a society where you are a nobody and always get stepped on. Protection in a violent environment (keep in mind, that not everybody has the chance of a school education in the world -look at the FAvelas in Brasil or townships in Soweto etc.).
Making money, trying to live a better lifestyle when you grew up in broke circumstances, i think there can be many reasons, but all of them come down to the same point.....Something is going wrong in this or that society. If you dont agree, then explain to me why people/the youth in some areas join gangs and in other they dont?

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » December 29th, 2005, 2:26 am

Jota wrote: You know whats the reason of joining a gang its about the PAPER ($$$$$).
that's what's funny....

i know niggas that all they do is bang and they ain't got a pot to piss in and i know niggas that ain't even in a gang and them niggas is ridin thru the hood in h2s and bugattis.

so that aint the main reason niggas join a gang....

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » December 29th, 2005, 2:34 am

gent11236 wrote: All that other shit like protection and wanting a family is no reason for me to join a gang, i handle my own beef.
protection? i don't know about that... because where i'm from they don't let bitch niggas in. if you can't handle your own how you gone handle hood bizness.

i don't think niggas join a gang just for family either, so try again..

i thought the main reason you joined a gang was for the love of your hood and everything else just followed..

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » December 29th, 2005, 12:08 pm

well gent11236 that is the reason that you wouldnt join a gang, how about you ask a gang member and see what they tell you their reason for joining a gang. Who are we to judge?

Christina Marie
If in the United States: Pennsylvania
What city do you live in now?: From LB to PA

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 29th, 2005, 1:29 pm

tiny girl wrote:well gent11236 that is the reason that you wouldnt join a gang, how about you ask a gang member and see what they tell you their reason for joining a gang. Who are we to judge?
Tiny girl....get rid of the avatar, thats mine.

Tyrant
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by Tyrant » December 29th, 2005, 1:52 pm

johnnyblac wrote:
gent11236 wrote: All that other shit like protection and wanting a family is no reason for me to join a gang, i handle my own beef.
protection? i don't know about that... because where i'm from they don't let bitch niggas in. if you can't handle your own how you gone handle hood bizness.

i thought the main reason you joined a gang was for the love of your hood and everything else just followed..
I think the reasons vary depending on what city your hood is in.

ahv

Unread post by ahv » December 30th, 2005, 1:26 pm

So streetgangs dot com is all about people, who have problematic background or some serious issues?

Or, as one user mentioned, gangs is all about money. So streetgangs dot com is a database of illegal military organizations too?

Thank you,

Ahv

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 30th, 2005, 9:00 pm

So streetgangs dot com is a database of illegal military organizations too?

Uh NO.

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » December 30th, 2005, 11:28 pm

ahv are u dumb or something, no this is not about illegal military organizations. read the other forums and u will see what it is about!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 30th, 2005, 11:36 pm

tiny girl wrote:ahv are u dumb or something, no this is not about illegal military organizations. read the other forums and u will see what it is about!!!!!!!!!!!!
tiny girl, I PM'd you,if you cannot respond/read it.....email me.

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » December 31st, 2005, 9:12 am

i cannot read it ahv I do not have access

ahv

Unread post by ahv » December 31st, 2005, 9:21 am

Uh Ok, I understand what gangs are.

But when you're counting them: 67 Temple Crips, Rollin Heights 28 Bloods, then it's like counting groups who are waving guns and dealing with all kind of illegal activites.

Ahv

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » December 31st, 2005, 9:48 am

you cant say it is illegal military activity. send a msg to my yahoo acct tinygirlredhot@yahoo

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 31st, 2005, 12:05 pm

tiny girl wrote:i cannot read it ahv I do not have access
I emailed you.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » December 31st, 2005, 12:07 pm

ahv wrote:Uh Ok, I understand what gangs are.

But when you're counting them: 67 Temple Crips, Rollin Heights 28 Bloods, then it's like counting groups who are waving guns and dealing with all kind of illegal activites.

Ahv
What country are you from?

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » January 2nd, 2006, 2:18 pm

Slakcs n a Tshirt wrote:
tiny girl wrote:
gent11236 wrote:what funny?

Yea but then they would have to take orders. Most gangsters i've seen don't like being told what to do.
gangsters take orders just like every1 else.

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » January 2nd, 2006, 2:23 pm

essence of gangs for many reasons.

1. popularity (to fit in)
2. their peers are in gangs
3. most important reason (they choose to freely)
4. forced in (doesnt happen as much as use to, but still does)
5. family members
6. protection
7. girls like it
8. gang is popular, and has good rep
9. money
10. power
11. insecure
12. to be a part of something bigger than them
13. media
14. sense of belonging

these are some of the reasons I see personally.

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » January 2nd, 2006, 2:27 pm

johnnyblac wrote:

Guys join gangs for protection. You say they don't let B!tch niggas in.

Sorry, thats a lie. Theres some B!tch in every1, and gang memebers are no different.

They do join because of family.

All the stuff you stated, is for political reasons only. Truth is, every1 is influenced by some1 or something. This, they join for the love of the hood, is false.

Gang memeber who are punks, you might not know their a punk, until they are alone and in a tough situation.

Every gang has a B!tch n!gga from the hood, EVERY1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yes, they do join for protection, and popularity, and family.

Those are some of the reasons. Not limited to all gangster though. The reasons vary for each1.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » January 2nd, 2006, 2:50 pm

Gang memeber who are punks, you might not know their a punk, until they are alone and in a tough situation.

Thats why you do testing, testing....1...2...3, BEFORE they get put in a for real situation.

terren2000
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by terren2000 » January 2nd, 2006, 3:08 pm

crstnamre wrote:Gang memeber who are punks, you might not know their a punk, until they are alone and in a tough situation.

Thats why you do testing, testing....1...2...3, BEFORE they get put in a for real situation.
ha yea. but it real life it doesnt work that way.

This is a new era of gangmembers. You say you want to join, they let you join.

You dont have to do all that old school crap to prove yourself. This is why there are so many big games now.

SO many punks and busters in a gang, if they got rid of them all, gang numbers would drop drastically.

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » January 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

terren2000 wrote:
crstnamre wrote:Gang memeber who are punks, you might not know their a punk, until they are alone and in a tough situation.

ha yea. but it real life it doesnt work that way.

This is a new era of gangmembers. You say you want to join, they let you join.

You dont have to do all that old school crap to prove yourself. This is why there are so many big games now.

SO many punks and busters in a gang, if they got rid of them all, gang numbers would drop drastically.
Which is why I left that life behind a long time ago.

tiny girl

Unread post by tiny girl » January 2nd, 2006, 5:31 pm

good job crstnamre, my hat goes off to you. seems like you doing some positive stuff by being a moderator on here. keep up the good work girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christina Marie

Unread post by Christina Marie » January 2nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

tiny girl wrote:good job crstnamre, my hat goes off to you. seems like you doing some positive stuff by being a moderator on here. keep up the good work girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks tiny girl!!

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » January 8th, 2006, 3:23 am

terren2000 wrote: Guys join gangs for protection. You say they don't let B!tch niggas in.

Sorry, thats a lie. Theres some B!tch in every1, and gang memebers are no different.

i don't know what your definition of a bitch nigga is but in my eyes a bitch nigga is a nigga that ain't gone pull the hammer when it's time to pull it..

a bitch nigga is a nigga that be runnin when it's 2 homies against 15 niggas from the otherside... that's what a bitch nigga is.

like crstname mentioned we test niggas on these situtuations. in my hood we don't just put niggas on the same day they ask to get put on they have to be kickin it with the homies for at least a year before we even consider puttin they ass on.. so like i said where i'm from they don't let bitch niggas in..

and if a gang has bitch niggas in it i'm a tell you why the do, it's because they ain't got no structure mofos go around just puttin any and everyone one on with out any approval from the big homies. where i'm from that's a serious violation and a mofo will get checked... you and the mofo you put on might just end up on yo back...

black
Middle Weight
Middle Weight

Unread post by black » January 8th, 2006, 4:06 am

terren2000 wrote:
Truth is, every1 is influenced by some1 or something. This, they join for the love of the hood, is false.
i don't know what your definition of love for the hood is, but love for the hood is love for something you believe in, something you will die for, something you will kill for.

where i'm at mofos is getting checked for dropping they flags on the ground, so you can't tell me that love for the hood don't play a part of it.

mofos outside of chicago and L.A. are killin and dyin behind streets that they have never even seen or walked on a day in they life and you tellin me that ain't love for the hood.

you got 2 mofos 1 from the lightside the other from the darkside who never even met or even did shit to each other but yet they willin to kill each other just because they from different sides. you tellin me that's not love for the hood?

true indeed some mofos is doin it for various reasons some was on the list you mentioned but the ones that really bang and take this shit to heart are doin it for the love of the hood.

Anonymous20

Unread post by Anonymous20 » February 11th, 2006, 9:30 am

Why love the hood, if the hood don't love you? There is no love on the streets my friend, only death, and drama. The hood will take your ass under. When you die, niggaz gonna pour out some brew for you, but after that?, that's it. There is no Gangsta Retirement plan, no GA(as cube said), no Thug education funds, nothin like that. You would think we would have figured that out by now, but every new young generation, keeps doing the same shit, and ending up layin in a puddle of blood on those streets. I used to think the gang thing was cool when i was younger, but you know what?, Cowards run in packs, because they are scared to stand alone. It takes more courage to walk alone than it does to run with the pack. Not down my patnas on the streets, but we all know(or should) know, that there fools from your hood who really aint about shit, wether you want to admit that or not. We need to do something other than this gang shit. 40 years now, can you see it serves no purpose?, it's not workin fellas, WAKE UP, before your wearin that black suit!